alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2011 :  4:30:18 PM  Show Profile
I will be make our first batch of sourdough bread tomorrow from a starter that I started two days ago. It sits on my counter next to the window because I think it stinks to high heavens!

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do with this stinky sourdough?

---
Farmgirl #2951
Currently renting-farmgirl wannabe

jollyquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

WV
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2011 :  8:47:59 PM  Show Profile
Hi Emily, I make sourdough all the time. In fact my starter is like 11 years old. I am alittle concerned because it will take more than 2 days to make a starter. And it will have a wonderful rich sour smell, but it won't stink. Perhaps your starter has spoiled? You did not use anything metal around it did you? Did you by any chance use tap water? Either of these will ruin your starter in a heart beat!

I make bread and hoagie buns and hot dog buns and pizza crust and english muffins and big pretzels. As well as waffles and pancakes and biscuits. I also make fry bread......yumm-O!

www.StuffByKim.etsy.com
http://fiberandflea.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2011 :  04:17:16 AM  Show Profile
My starter smells sour and yeasty all at the same time-doesn't stink. I use tapwater, but it's from our cistern, not city water. i've been using the same starter for about 3 years. I'm starting to long for regular white bread! In fact, I made some breadsticks the other day for something other than sourdough!

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2011 :  08:25:48 AM  Show Profile
As I am writiing this I have sourdough in my oven. I love the smell from when it is a starter to when it is baked. Weird, aren't I? I have a daughter who is unable to eat yeast in anything so for bread I make sourdough and she has no trouble at all and in fact says it is yummier. I have to agree. I make whole wheat and white sourdough. I also make cookies, banana loaf, and cinnamon buns it is multi useful.

Give thanks to yourself everyday for all the wonderful things you do!
Go to Top of Page

jollyquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

WV
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2011 :  09:33:35 AM  Show Profile
I started making sourdough. About 30 years ago, when we found my son was allergic to preservatives, so I had to make all our bread and this was the cheapest.

Plus I really like the idea that I can make bread and not have to have yeast in the stores.

I make cinnamon rolls as well. Shhhh, don't tell dh I forgot that one.

www.StuffByKim.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

KathyC
True Blue Farmgirl

583 Posts

Kathy
Gastonia NC
USA
583 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2011 :  10:22:31 AM  Show Profile
I'm going to try my hand at sourdough soon. I don't care much for white bread and my hubby doesn't like wheat but he loves rye. Have any of y'all made sourdough rye and is it much different that making sourdough with wheat. Any hints, tips or recipes would be appreciated.

Thanks
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2011 :  12:45:01 PM  Show Profile
It smells very yeasty, I just dislike the smell of yeast. We made sourdough pancakes today and sourdough bread. The bread came out wonderful! It was gone within an hour of so of coming out of the oven. It was a bit heavy and I am going to be adding a few tablespoons of dough enhancer to fix the issue. Here is the recipe that I followed http://www.scientificpsychic.com/alpha/food/sourdough-bread.html

As for sourdough pancakes, we are going to skip this from now on.

---
Farmgirl #2951
Currently renting-farmgirl wannabe
Go to Top of Page

jollyquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

WV
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2011 :  4:30:02 PM  Show Profile
Emily, please remember that the longer you make sourdough then the better it will be.This is because the longer you make it the more yeast spores you will have in your home and they will catch the spores and it will improve with each making.

And do not ever try to have it just like a true Sanfransico sourdough or you eill always be dissappointed.

My recipe came from the original Tightwad Gazzette

www.StuffByKim.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Sourdough Stinks! ;) Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page