CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2011 :  8:54:28 PM  Show Profile
Just counted my jars and I have a total of 26 quarts of beans. That will give us about two jars a month. Looks like I need double that amount to have them once a week. Jeez thats a lot of quarts!
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

quiltingfarmergirl
True Blue Farmgirl

180 Posts

Barbara
Cato NY
USA
180 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2011 :  4:21:58 PM  Show Profile
I have canned 20 quarts of tomatoes and 13 pints of salsa in the past week. A good summer for tomatoes this year. They are still coming on strong. I have given some to friends who also canned 7 quarts each. What's another good canning recipe for tomatoes? Anybody have any suggestions? I have never had luck making good spaghetti sauce for some reason. Lillian, what is a squeezo?

Barb

at

Breezy Acres Farm
Go to Top of Page

Hoosiermom
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Beth
Alexandria IN
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2011 :  12:28:53 AM  Show Profile
Yikes...I am growing tired of tomatoes! I have been canning juice, spagehetti sauce, pizza sauce, salsa, don't want to complain because last year I didn't get to can much of anything. I have canned green beans, cowboy candy(candied jalapenos), zucchini pickles, zucchini relish, and chicken. Also froze corn, freezer slaw, strawberry freezer jam, broccoli, peppers. I hear so many people that think this is too much work & complain they can't do it, but I work and do this on my days off & LOVE to have everything fresh from the garden & readily available to me any time! Lots of work and worth it, but I am ready to call it quits with the canner for a while.:)

Beth
Go to Top of Page

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2011 :  07:43:42 AM  Show Profile
I now have 20 quarts of tomatoes and probably at least 50 more lbs to can. Today I am going to attempt to make ketchup, since my kids love ketchup and I am tired of paying the ridiculous price for it. Yesterday I dried plums and made applesauce. I've been regularly freezing beans and peas. This weekend I am canning peaches and pears. I do agree with Beth (Hoosiermom) that I am getting a little tired of canning but everytime I go into my canning room I smile.

Give thanks to yourself everyday for all the wonderful things you do!
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2011 :  09:19:18 AM  Show Profile
Barb- a Squeezo is now what we know as a Victorio Food Mill. My Squeezo was my Grandpa's and it is all metal, I love it. Also with all of those tomatos don't forget to can you up some tomato soup for this winter, you'll be glad you did!

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2011 :  08:10:42 AM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
Canned 8 pts. of pear honey last night after I got home from babysitting. Pureed in my food processor to help speed things up but still took 2 1/2 hrs. to cook down till right thickness. Put a maraschino cherry in each jar for a special treat. Grandson and I tried some on toast at breakfast this morning and ohhh so yummy. Gotta love it :)

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://www.Tapestry2u.Etsy.com

http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2011 :  08:33:05 AM  Show Profile
Cheryl that sounds good! Our neighbor has told us to pick as many pears as we want and I just found a Pear Honey recipe yesterday. I like the idea of placing a maraschino cherry in the honey. I bet your grandson just loved that! Today is my day off from canning :)

This week:

~3 batches of Salted Butterscotch Peach Jam (which actually ended up more of a sauce but it's good on vanilla ice cream
~2 batches of Peach Jam
~2 batches of Banana Pepper Mustard
~2 pints of Sweet Pickled Banana Peppers
~1 batch of Dill Pickles
~1 batch of Sweet Pickles
~1 batch of Peach BBQ Sauce
~1 batch of Sour Cherry Jam
~12 quarts of Sour Cherry Juice

I am glad that the peaches and cucumbers are done. I will just be blessing everyone with the cucumbers from now on :)
I wish that I could say that I am tired of tomatoes. Our growing season is so short here and I have only gotten a couple of handfuls of ripe cherry tomatoes and 3 ripe larger tomatoes. Oh well :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Calicogirl on Sep 13 2011 08:34:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

jollyquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

WV
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2011 :  6:17:12 PM  Show Profile
My beans are about done for good. And I am just getting enough tomatoes to eat on. I am still getting enough cucumbers to eat as well.

I have pears coming the end of the week. Yippy!

www.StuffByKim.etsy.com
http://fiberandflea.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

michgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

148 Posts

Mary
Glendale WI
USA
148 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  06:07:11 AM  Show Profile
Canned a couple of different kinds of applesauce (different spices and chunkiness) am enjoying looking at the rows of jars all done and ready for the winter!
Go to Top of Page

windswept
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

dawn
youngsville new york
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2011 :  6:13:32 PM  Show Profile
The garden is winding down...its bittersweet!! We enjoyed a "homegrown" dinner...Chicken, swisschard, beets, and applesause. I love having meals that we provided for ourselves. Hmmm I wonder what my turkeys are thinking now.

lovin the country
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Happy Canning! Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page