Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2011 :  08:40:32 AM  Show Profile
Had a great canning week. I put up 60 lbs of cukes for dill pickles, 25 lbs of tomatoes for stewed tomatoes, and did 5 pints of peas and 6 pints of green beans. Also made 8 jars of blackberry jam that I picked wild. I love the way the jars all line up on the counter cooling before I put them in the canning shed. What a great feeling to know there is always food to eat.

Give thanks to yourself everyday for all the wonderful things you do!

Laila
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Laila
Kutztown PA
USA
273 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2011 :  10:43:47 AM  Show Profile
I love seeing my jars lined up on the counter also. It gives me a good feeling knowing I will be eating food this winter knowing it didn't come from another country or who knows where.

Laila
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2011 :  10:56:52 AM  Show Profile
Yay for you, Ingrid!!!!! How industrious are you?! :-) You are sooo going to love yourself this winter!! :-) I am getting ready to can bacon, believe it or not, for this winter when we have weeks without electricity from some huge ice storm!!!
Happy Canning indeed!

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

jollyquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

WV
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2011 :  8:51:10 PM  Show Profile
I did 11 quarts of chow-chow today and I have 2 sheet pans of sliced zucchini in the freezer to flash freeze so I can bag them tomorrow.

www.StuffByKim.etsy.com
http://fiberandflea.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Rain K
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Rain
Paonia CO
14 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2011 :  07:26:29 AM  Show Profile
Hello all,
I am up to my proverbial elbows in snap beans, corn, and tomatoes...lots of salsa and succotash in jars and now today, on to ketchup with a neighbor. I love this time of year!
Rain K

{size=1]The Ninth Wave
Earth Meat farms[/size=1]
Go to Top of Page

tammyknit
True Blue Farmgirl

135 Posts

Tammy
Reedsburg WI
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2011 :  2:13:17 PM  Show Profile
I have a big batch of spaghetti sauce on the stove right now that I will freeze (probably about 11 to 12 pints worth when finished). Also have salsa ingredients all cut up and in the fridge (only have 1 large burner right now) ready to be made up. I froze carrots and green beans yesterday and made 2 quarts of refrigerator pickles. Also dehydrated some green beans and raspberries (fall crop just starting). I love this time of year, but I am ready for frost!

Tammy
Go to Top of Page

debbies journey
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

debbie
anchorage ak
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2011 :  11:01:21 PM  Show Profile
This week I made raspberry bar b que sause. I'm looking for non sweet things to do
with berries since my hubby is now diabetic. Yesturday I tried refridgerator pickles,
they smelled really good this morning!
Debbie
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2011 :  11:34:48 AM  Show Profile
Awesome canning update Ingrid.

I'm canning 7 1/2 quarts of tomatoes today, and have enough Roma tomatoes to can more tomato sauce tomorrow. I need to freeze about a dozen green peppers, but I have no room in my freezer. I may make more salsa with it. I have no idea what to do with my banana peppers yet. I pickled some hot for dh, but have a bunch more today. I can't can too many items as I do not have my pressure canner yet.

We made Spanish Rice in my crock pot yesterday. I used a quart of my canned tomato sauce, fresh green peppers etc. It was so good. It tasted so much better than when we used canned tomato sauce. I added some sweet corn off the cob to it too. Yum. Canning the tomato sauce was well worth it.

Farmgirl #800
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2011 :  12:07:46 PM  Show Profile
It is so nice to find so many ladies that can!!! I often feel like I'm the last one on the plant that does. I'm working on blackberry jam, peaches today. And I'll soon have enough cukes from the garden to start pickling. Then there's the salsa, spaghetti sauce.... etc etc etc.

Happy Canning Ladies!!

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2011 :  12:10:48 PM  Show Profile
Planet, planet, planet....sheesh I can't even type. :S

Go to Top of Page

WoodstreamDreambyNicole
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Nicole
Marlton NJ
USA
177 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2011 :  12:40:19 PM  Show Profile
I canned for the first time this week - sweet & hot pepper relish. I have a pic on my blog (below). I am so exicted that I'm going to make peach jam today. I usually skin and pit my peaches and then freeze them in simple syrup for use in the winter, but I have a full bushel and I think I'm going to use some of the not as pretty peaches to make jam. I bought more jelly jars today. I'll still freeze some for cobbler and cakes this winter & next spring. I roasted a 1/2 bushel of tomatoes today and I'm going to put those through the squeez-o strainer and freeze the tomato goodness that I make. I don't think I can can that... I think it would take a while to process because the tomatoes are cooled now. I'd have to bring them to a boil again after I put them through the squeezo. I'm almost considering it because my freezer is just about full because we bought extra ice because of the hurricane that's heading our way.

Nicole
Shop
www.woodstreamdream.etsy.com
Custom Creations
www.woodstreamdream.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2011 :  2:09:40 PM  Show Profile
Nicole - you ladies that so nonchalantly talk about hurricanes amaze me! I guess it all depends on what you are used to, doesn't it? Congrats on the canning! It sounds like you make lots of yummy stuff without canning.

Go to Top of Page

WoodstreamDreambyNicole
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Nicole
Marlton NJ
USA
177 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2011 :  2:20:57 PM  Show Profile
Kimberly - I'm not used to them, I just have already prepared, so I'm going on with normal life. We get some nasty nor'easters here in the winter and they brought 60+mph winds, so this is definitely going to be an increased risk, especially with fully leaved trees & saturated ground. But there's nothing I can do other than pray and be prepared. I've done both and continue to do the former.
Finished with the tomatoes - 2 quarts in the freezer, using the remaining 2 cups as sauce for tortellini tonight. Starting on peach preserves after dinner. Didn't find the pectin at the True Value, so I found a recipe that didn't use it. http://www.pickyourown.org/apricotjam.htm

Have a lovely weekend & stay safe any farmgirls here on the east coast weathering Irene!

Nicole
Shop
www.woodstreamdream.etsy.com
Custom Creations
www.woodstreamdream.blogspot.com

Edited by - WoodstreamDreambyNicole on Aug 26 2011 2:21:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

jollyquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

WV
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2011 :  2:36:38 PM  Show Profile
Love to hear all the produce that is being put by for winter storage.

I have had some bad experience with power outages and freezers in thr past so I do as much as possible in jars. I just feel safer that way!

Everyone take care and keep your eyes open for Irene. Stay in touch as much as possible.

www.StuffByKim.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2011 :  9:41:19 PM  Show Profile
I can because I can keep canned green beans for a couple of years just fine. I wouldn't want to eat anything frozen for that long! Call me old fashioned but I just like the taste better. It also shortens cooking time! I do freeze cut corn, okra and yellow squash. I like them better that way. I just don't freeze more than we will eat in a few months time. I also like strawberry freezer jam.
So it looks like I do both!
What do you can and what do you freeze? Why?
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

debbydoo1966
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

debbie
nj
23 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2011 :  05:25:31 AM  Show Profile
Hi All, I live on the coast of NJ. About a mile from the ocean, half a mile from Barnegat Bay.

I'm getting ready to ride out Hurricane Irene. Picked a bunch of tomatoes yesterday. Going to be canning soup today. Hopefully i'll get it done before the electric goes out.

I've spent the past 3 weekends making sauce and soup. Did I mention that I love Tomatoes...

Debbie
Go to Top of Page

tammyknit
True Blue Farmgirl

135 Posts

Tammy
Reedsburg WI
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2011 :  07:43:29 AM  Show Profile
I freeze spaghetti sauce (because that is the recipe I have that my DD likes), corn (tastes better), green beens, peas, and carrots (no pressure canner), and strawberry-blueberry jam (no recipe for canned). Everything else i can (salsa, tomato sauce, tomato juice, lots of pickles, both dilly beans and cucumber), applesauce, apple butter, lots of jam, etc. I am really ready for fall

Tammy
Go to Top of Page

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2011 :  08:15:16 AM  Show Profile
Today I am canning tomatoes, applesauce and freezing peas and green beans. Am also putting plums and apple rings in the dehydrator. Isn't it funny how weather was so crazy this year and I was worried about what would be harvested and now it is harvest crazy. Amazing what nature does for us.

Give thanks to yourself everyday for all the wonderful things you do!
Go to Top of Page

jollyquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

WV
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2011 :  4:51:48 PM  Show Profile
I can all my jams and jellies. Tomatoes, green beans, peas in the shell, corn, chow-chow, zucchini relish and zucchini pickles, pickled peppers like you buy in the store that go on pizza's, also a hot sweet pepper that is great on a sandwich. I can carrots and potatoes and sweet potatoes. And as the canning season comes to an end I am always looking for chicken on sale to can. I also can pinto, great northern and butter beans. And I make pork n beans and can them.

I do freezer slaw and I flash freeze my yard long green beans in small packages for stir fry's, I also chop and freeze green peppers and hot peppers as well as freeze about 2 dozen stuffed green peppers that are sealed with my food saver.

I just spent all day today canning green beans and I had 3 canners full. I also canned 3 quarts of tomatoes.

www.StuffByKim.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2011 :  6:28:54 PM  Show Profile
Nicole all of my canned tomato sauce is made with the squeezo. I just put them in a pot of boiling water to soften them up a little, then put them in the squeezo. Put the sauce back on the stove to reduce a bit and can.

I can anything I can get my hands on! Last week was 7 half pints apple-green chile butter, 3 pints green beans (last picking) 70 pints of corn, 4 pints blackberry juice, 7 quarts blackberies, 8 pints blueberries and 7 half pints raspberry-serrano jam. Our pantry is plenty full just the way we like it! This week will be hopefully peaches and tomatos.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2011 :  7:43:08 PM  Show Profile
Made 12 jars of Straberry Jam today with my dear daughter, using MaryJanes Chillover powder which reduced the amount of sugar needed in HALF! I love homemade jams, but not all of the sugar that goes along with them so I am so excited about this! Have to order more Chillover powder- seems like this stuff can come in very handy! Also froze a bunch of green peppers from the garden too. Trying to get as much in the freezer and canned as possible, so come winter we can enjoy it all!

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2011 :  9:59:39 PM  Show Profile
I canned 2 pints of tomato sauce today. Sounds puny I know but the tomatoes are dwindling down and I can't stand to lose any of them. I made some peach ice cream with the last of my peaches. They guys loved it. For some reason i just didn't have a taste for it. Weird.
Still picking beans and will can again on Wed. They have really started producing now that the extreme heat is over. For a while I thought I had over fertilized with compost and was only going to have leaves! Glad it was the heat. I would have been ticked if I ruined them after going to the trouble to plant twice as many as last year in order to have more this year.
Is anyone else having trouble getting everything else done because of time spent putting up food? I feel like I'm going 90 to nothing all day long and still staring at things that need to be done when it is time for bed. Not complaining mind you. I'm really looking forward to enjoying all that produce this winter!
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Go to Top of Page

jollyquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

WV
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2011 :  6:00:49 PM  Show Profile
I did 2 more cannings of beans today.

www.StuffByKim.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

windswept
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

dawn
youngsville new york
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2011 :  3:15:25 PM  Show Profile
I really enjoyed reading every ones comments about canning. I love to can and all my friends think that I'm crazy!! Its nice to know that I'm not alone. This late in the season its hard to believe that we are still picking green beans!! We've had 6 pickings so far.

lovin the country
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2011 :  3:53:46 PM  Show Profile
Dawn-We pick green beans up to the first frost. That can be as late as Halloween down here! I'm usually finished canning what we need by mid September and let friends and family come pick. We grow pole beans. I've never grown bush beans. Do they keep producing as long as you keep picking? I've canned 8 quarts of beans, 4 quarts of tomato sauce,3 quarts elderberry pancake syrup, 12 pints of elderberry jelly, and made two batches of elderberry medicinal syrup. If you have ever done elderberry anything you know how much work that was! And I got chiggers to boot! Oh well it was worth every little red spot. How my sweetie avoided them I can't figure out. He loves the elderberry taste so much he has volunteered to help me find and pick them. : ) Now if I could just get him to help me pick them off the stems...
Connie

Go to Top of Page

jollyquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

WV
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2011 :  6:17:01 PM  Show Profile
Cmac.........we grow pole beans as well and fix strings for them to run on. This has been a good bean year and I just keep putting up more.

Also a good year for zucchini. I put 62 slices in the freezer so far to flash freeze and then I bag them up. I use these to fry, I made zucchini parmesan with them today.

I also have frozen 30 bags of 2 cups per bag shredded.

www.StuffByKim.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Happy Canning! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page