Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Is Sweet PDZ safe for chickens?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Is Sweet PDZ safe for chickens? Next Topic  

retasos2
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Pilar
Centereach NY
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2011 :  07:38:46 AM  Show Profile
Hello Ladies,

My in laws hate what they call "chicken smell" and since they are coming over next weekend, I'm looking for ways to "control" it. My feed store recommemded Sweet PDZ, has anyone else ever used it? I clean the coop and run the morning of the events and they still complain. Help!

Pilar
Farmgirl Sister #2498
Little Hen House on the Island

" A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is, until she gets in hot water" Eleanore Roosevelt

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2011 :  09:27:51 AM  Show Profile
That's life on the farm, strong smells...I do not know if Sweet PDZ is safe for chickens or not, and I would be inclined not to try it without someone telling me they do, and have had no problems, that being said, funny short story...a few years back new neighbors moved in across the road and down a bit, 2nd day they were living there, they came to my door to inform me, if I did not make my animals be silent, they would be calling the sheriffs dept, animal regulation and the health dept...3 days later they did, as I was being inspected, they came over and stood and listened, knowing that I would be fined, lose my animals and then the neighborhood would be nice...needless to say, I passed all inspections, and new neighbors were told get over it, or move, and they did...move...As far as your in-laws go, explain nicely that this is the best you can do, and you are sorry they are bothered but, there is nothing more you can do, GOOD LUCK...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2011 :  11:25:01 AM  Show Profile
Aren't in-laws fun????!!!1 Now me I wouldn't have done a thing since its my home & they choice to come visit knowing that they would be exposed to non city smells...they should be thankful you not doing a turkey or pig farm...now girl there is a smell!....Let them complain is my point of view....you are doing the best you can & they should be happy that you are raising chickens for eggs ect not gripping about the smell....plus I have a feeling even if you did do all the right things they would find something to 'talk' to you about....
as for the PDZ I recommend you put down a heavy layer of pine chips to obsorb the urine/poo smell the night before they should show up....I would dump the whole bag in the coop & run area & you can rake it up when its bad & compost it....the problem I see with PDZ is that it will get stirred up in the air & the 'kids' will breath it in & it might cause lung problems,sinus problems or even colds....plus how healthy is it for them to eat which they will do while digging in the ground?....Maybe its age or having a not so nice ex-mother-in-law but I now refuse to play the game when people come to my house.....my life, my rules....best of luck sweetie with whatever you do...Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622

Edited by - batznthebelfry on Aug 23 2011 11:54:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2011 :  1:49:53 PM  Show Profile
hi pilar, well around here we use a combination on bentonite clay and the D.E. and small cut pine shavings. you can add some tree trea oil and a bit of cedar shavings it helps with mites and such too. or a cedar essential oil. you could thin you E.O. with olive oil and then sprinkle in their yard. seriously shavings are my best tool here. we have farm tours and folks expect flies in their face. they are surprised a 1000 pound hog does not smell. we use a tractor every 10 days. drag her pen. we put new dirt actually you could wheel barrow a little fresh cleaner regular dirt in the run. then shavings etc. we then give mama shavings and fresh grass hay. she loves her home when its clean. so do what you can and let it go. shavings keep the flies from hatching larvae in the poop. the clay helps bind the urine in their poop. if they eat the clay it really is ok. it is basically rock dust. hope this helps you. happy days for you and your family. you are a fine farmgirl. sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

retasos2
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Pilar
Centereach NY
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2011 :  2:10:40 PM  Show Profile
thank you ladies,I feel much better.

Michele, you are right, they will always have something to complain about so I will only do what I can. We clean the coop twice a week, run once a week and we have happy and loving chickens. what more can I ask for?

Pilar
Farmgirl Sister #2498
Little Hen House on the Island

" A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is, until she gets in hot water" Eleanore Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Is Sweet PDZ safe for chickens? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page