Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Family Matters
 school starting is depressing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Family Matters: Previous Topic school starting is depressing Next Topic  

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2011 :  3:55:11 PM  Show Profile
I figured out was is wrong with me this past week.

School starts in 2 days. I have been feeling so depressed, and could not shake it. I am close to my kids, and do not like them to be away so much. Anyone else get this way? My youngest is nine right now, and it's bothering me more this year, than last year.

I know I can volunteer at the school, but they don't ask for chaperones anymore, and have even cut back on volunteers to come in for school parties.

I'm gonna miss them terribly.

Farmgirl #800
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2011 :  4:20:31 PM  Show Profile
I feel the same way. I really like having my kids around.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2011 :  4:31:12 PM  Show Profile
What about helping in other areas of the school? My DD's school showed us the volunteer center which is a room for parents to come in and help the teachers with different things. It could be stapling, copying, or putting things together. Last year I helped a teacher put together some science journals with different topics. It helps the teachers so they don't have to stay till 8 in the evening. Maybe you could ask their teachers personally what you can do to help out.

I hope you will cheer up soon.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

WoodstreamDreambyNicole
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Nicole
Marlton NJ
USA
177 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2011 :  5:41:48 PM  Show Profile
As a former teacher I second what Julie said. Teachers could use the help! Especially at the beginning of the year I'd stay until at least 7 each night and the rest of the year it was until 5 - I would have loved to have been able to leave at 4 some days, but that would have meant bring stuff home and I just didn't have a home big enough at the time.

If you can talk to the principal of the school or the PTO/PTA about organizing a group of volunteers to do copies or help prep project materials or whatever - that would be a huge help!

I feel sad that my son will be going to first grade the day after labor day, but I'm glad that he's looking forward to going to school. He had a great year in kindergarten & 2 great years of preschool. My younger son will be going to preschool this year 2.5 hours 3 days per week. I am very sad to see the summer go, but I'm glad the children are looking forward to new experiences. I still do field trips and fun stuff at home through the school year, but it's not as free as the summer months.

(((HUGS)))

Nicole
Shop
www.woodstreamdream.etsy.com
Custom Creations
www.woodstreamdream.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2011 :  6:02:08 PM  Show Profile
As a teacher I hope I can set your minds to rest...I can't wait for the kids to come back. They are the ones that energize me. I know a lot of my colleagyes feel the same way!

~ Elaine
Farmgirl sister #2822

"Find yourself a cup of tea; the teapot is behind you. Now tell me about hundreds of things." ~Saki

http://embchicken.blogspot.com
http://gusandtrudy.blogspot.com
http://embchicken-thechubbychicken.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2011 :  6:25:17 PM  Show Profile
My little guy had his first full day of school on Friday. I was surprised by how lonely and sad I felt. I had Friday off from work and it was very difficult to get through the day without him. I worked 3 days a week in the summer and he was my constant companion when I wasn't working. We went on vacation the week before school started & were side by side the whole time.

My little guy said school was more fun the summer camp (3 days a week daycare) and he was very happy to be back.

Hopefully we'll feel better about school resuming in a few more days. I am dreading the 3rd grade homework too. I know that feeling won't go away!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

luckilady
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Jennifer
Loxahatchee Fl
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2011 :  6:39:32 PM  Show Profile
My kids are teens, one even started college, if they knew I got sad, they would probably give me a hard time. They love school! So, I plan on a whole bunch of projects, get my sewing started, and just stay busy. This year my oldest may leave home for her first apartment, that will be a sad day for sure. But letting go is part of parenting, and I love who they are growing up to be. Hang in there Kristina, just find things you love to do, and as they get older the time just flies and before you know it, it will be summer break again.

~Jennifer

Life is 10% of what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it. ~ John Maxwell

Farmgirl Sister #3375
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2011 :  8:01:00 PM  Show Profile
That's why we are homeschooling, I would sure miss them too! Seems so unnatural for me to have such young children away that long each day.

However, just as a heads up, when I was in first grade I was being severely abused by my teacher (physically and emotionally), she had been brought up on charges previous years for other abuse as well. A school official told my mom by law parents are allowed in the school room as much as they want, and the school had to let her in. So my mom volunteered daily in my school room, and that stopped most the abuse that way.

I'm not saying your child/ren are abused or going to be, just saying, I know at the time I was in school by law they have to take parents in the room. So if you want to volunteer they may HAVE to let you. It's not like it's money out of their pockets......so why they would drop the amount of volunteers is beyond me, but I think if you WANT to be there, they HAVE to let you be.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2011 :  8:50:55 PM  Show Profile
Kristina:
It is so nice to hear mothers talk about how they miss their children when school starts. I felt the same way when mine was young and in school. Why drop the amount of volunteers? Very sad.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2011 :  9:55:31 PM  Show Profile
I always hated the start of school each year. It was the time I felt the kids getting older the most...more so than even their birthdays. And it happened to both of them at the same time. I missed them so-still do. let's see, they are 32 and 23! Oh well!!

marianne
Go to Top of Page

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2011 :  04:49:22 AM  Show Profile
Kristina - I'm with you, I hate the start of school each year. My two oldest (ages 9 and 6) go back to public school on Wednesday and I usually cry for at least every day the first week because I miss them so much. I love spending all Summer doing activities and outings with them. I have two younger girls, too - ages 3 and 1. It makes it hard to volunteer to help in the classroom because I have no family who is ever available to help watch the littlest ones while I go in and many of the teachers frown on me bringing them with me.

We've made the decision to switch over to homeschooling (through a distance learning program) next year (Fall 2012) and this year I withdrew my 3-year-old from the preschool I was going to send her to this Fall and I created a home-preschool curriculum to do with her instead. We'll be doing homeschooling for all of them next year and I am so thrilled this will be the last Autumn I ever have to see them leave home all day for school!

Farmgirl Sister #3243

"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." - Laura Ingalls Wilder
Go to Top of Page

buggysmum
True Blue Farmgirl

110 Posts

Shelly

110 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2011 :  05:18:01 AM  Show Profile
I am going to miss my DD terribly. We are so close in the summer. I can't volunteer at her school because I teach, too. But I do know that at DD's school, there are parents volunteering in the library on a rotating basis throughout the week, and that they recruit volunteers to help with indoor recess in the colder months.

I also cry about the fact that even AFTER school, our lives are consumed by school. DD gets so much homework, and it isn't always easy or review or something she can do herself...so I help her but this makes her upset with me because now I am PART of the upsetting homework experience. There are so many other things I want her to do after school; get outside, take a music or dance or other lesson, work on the hobbies she loves at home (knitting, embroidering, drawing) and just being a kid.

I felt the cooler air this morning, and thought to myself...it's coming...fall is coming....

I understand that some homework is necessary, but have always felt that it should be reading or practice or some kind of review.
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2011 :  07:15:15 AM  Show Profile
I'm so glad to hear that I am not the only parent who feels this way.

Also, thank you Elaine for your kind words about being excited to see the kids again.

I let the kids sleep in the borrowed camper last night - in the driveway. It was kind of their "last night of summer" before going back to school tomorrow.

I do have a lot of projects, but I've had projects all summer too. It's seeing them daily, passing them in the hall, watching them play outside, hearing them giggle, chatter, and even fight, that's going to be missed.

I have homeschooled a few of them before as well. In fact, my 9 year-old still talks about how fun preschool was for her. I had her enrolled in a program, but after being involved with it, I took her out and we did our own preschool. We had so much fun and she learned a lot more than in there. We took field trips, walks by the river, studied animals etc. She still had kids to play with at the park, at church and other places.

I do have my 19 yo son home, so I will have some company. YAY!! Maybe he will agree to have "porch time" with me like I used to do with the other kids. It's a break in the day where I just stop all projects and work, sit on the porch and enjoy myself. I sometimes prepare a snack with iced tea and bring a book with me. In fact, I think I may make my porch time right when the school bus comes rolling in. That way, I can visit with them, and let them wind down before dinner time.

Farmgirl #800

Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2011 :  11:24:20 AM  Show Profile
Glad to hear mothers saying they would miss their children so often all you hear is how glad they are to be rid of them!!! I'm homeschooling so I don't have to deal with this at the moment but I know I would feel the same. Maybe you can do special things for yourself and for them to come home to. Crafts or whatever you enjoy for you, and home baked cookies or something they enjoy for them!

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6592 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6592 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2011 :  2:38:02 PM  Show Profile
Kristina- As a Mom of two grown girls ages 31 and 28, I remember feeling that same HUGE change in life with the beginning of each school year. But I also know that they looked forward to the excitment of going to school and being a part of the classroom and all the life that the school year brings. So early on, I decided that their love of learning and the excitement trumped my sad feelings and I needed to learn to let them grow and move into being less dependent on me and their Dad. Except for a few circumstances, the teachers were so awesome and my girls loved their life at school. As a parent, I realized that school provided them with friends and fun that was so important to them. And it turned out that they appreciated each other and life at home when they came home. My Mom, who raised 7 kids, reminded me all the time when I complained to her about my kids growing up that our role as parents was to give them roots AND give them wings. Not one or the other but both in equal measure, she would say. And she told me that my job was to rejoice because when we give them wings and they fly, we know our job was done well and we can know in our heart that we did a good job. Mom was so right and my kids have thanked me and their Dad many times for being there for them. But, I think about Mom and know her wisdom is what helped me do the job that the kids think came out of my head(LOL).!! I hope this first week will be full of " Mom, guess what we did today???".

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2011 :  2:51:08 PM  Show Profile
I go back to school next week, so Rosemary will be back at her early learning program too. I am so bummed. We have had such a nice few weeks off. Even got potty training done! Wahooooo!!! But now we have to go back and it is going to be so hard. She is on campus with me, which is nice and my schedule is really great, I really just wish it wasn't time yet. :(

Liz
Farmgirl #1947
www.militaryfarmgirl.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2011 :  2:52:24 PM  Show Profile
Kristina,
I hear you! I am so sad that this is my last week with my darlin' before she goes back to school! I love being a mom, and I literally count the hours until she is home again! You are not alone!

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2011 :  2:57:32 PM  Show Profile
I'm so glad there are many of you that feel the same way. My youngest daughter joked about it today. She said that instead of her trying to stay home, it will be me telling her she's too sick to go - ha ha ha ha! She was pretending to be me.

Well, tomorrow is the day. I'm about to head over and meet the teacher for my 4th grader - her last year in elementary school.

Farmgirl #800

Go to Top of Page

marthajane
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Anna
Orlando FL
USA
196 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2011 :  10:17:32 AM  Show Profile
This is a great topic! I hope all you seasoned veteran mommies wont mind hearing input from a newbie like me.I have a 2 year old son.
I feel like it is so detrimental to demand the little children leave home at 4 or 5.
My opinion is they should stay home as long as 8 years old. By then they're old enough to speak and act for themselves.
If this was the case they would still learn alot through 14 and then
they could get jobs and earn money for themselves to get
a car and save to pay for college if they wanted to go at 18.
The time spent with familiar people and at home in a safe environment
would give them confidence and a security that the school cannot
provide for each individual. And maybe they would have
a better feel for what their god-given talents are/that they would
miss out on if they were busy at a school curriculum.
I could go on and on...
I am sorry for the sadness you feel...but I am so glad that you care
enough to feel those true emotions of pure love for those children.
You do have lucky children...and I want to encourage all of you nice
ladies to be strong and keep up the good work. And hopefully our
beliefs will have a positive influence in the world around us SOON!
Take care and God Bless!

Happiness IS being a MoM
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2011 :  4:39:36 PM  Show Profile
That's my exact thoughts as well Martha.

Also because of extra classes that "some" high schools offer, I thought we would give that option to our children when the time comes, ask them if they WANT to go to school or not, and if so then they can, especially if the high school offers degrees or classes that can't be taken easily at home. Say my husband went to a high school that when he graduated he had a college degree in electrition, his cousin had a degree in nursing, etc. And it was for FREE since it was in high school and not "college".

But, also like the Teacher mommy brought out another reason we decided home school was the amount of home work kids are given now, I know because of my siblings and nieces and nephews. From what I have heard of the hours it takes to home school (mine don't start till next year), I could have their whole days done in the time it takes to do the homework for most children, and then we would have the rest of the day to be kids/family. That's been the biggest appeal to me.

There was a time that kids didn't really leave home for much till they went out on their own....they had a lot of responsibilities helping their parents run a farm or ranch etc, but they were mainly home schooled, and only with the communittee etc, for Church and a few other things. And yet, society continued to live, and survive....I just kind of want to be my children's biggest influence for as long as possible, till they are "ready". I think 8 or 9 is a little easier age like you brought out.

However, I don't judge any one else's choices either, every one has to do what works for their families.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

buggysmum
True Blue Farmgirl

110 Posts

Shelly

110 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2011 :  05:00:19 AM  Show Profile
I actually started crying about missing my DD yesterday! Oh, this summer has been long and sweet, and it's not going to be easy!
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2011 :  03:26:18 AM  Show Profile
Ladies, in a world such as today, with so much focus on the negative? What a joy and blessing to hear you speak of 'enjoying your kids'!!!

Mine are all grown now, but we remain close and I enjoy 5 gkids now!!!

You are reminding me to treasure the moments!

Love you farmgirls!
Blessings, linda

www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page
  Family Matters: Previous Topic school starting is depressing Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page