farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2011 :  11:06:25 AM  Show Profile
Ok, anyone who has raised boys know they eat a ton. My 7 and 8 year old farmboys are so so so hungry right now, its making me crazy! I don't know if its the change in weather (starting to cool off) or they are headed for another growth spurt or what. They are so constantly active that I know they burn off whatever they eat, but it seems the last couple weeks are just out of control!

I'm feeling kind of out of ideas of what to give them. They eat three square meals a day...but the in-between meals...any ideas of what I can make that will fill them up? I feel like I am spending all my money on fruit and veggies (since our garden didn't produce this year). Fruit and veggies are good, yes, but I'm looking for some more snack type things (or even meals!) i can make for them that will fill them up. Thanks!!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4739 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4739 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2011 :  11:57:25 AM  Show Profile
I have two sons that are now 28 and 26 and a little one who just turned 8. They all eat like crazy, even the older ones. I find popcorn is a good filler. I make my own since the microwave variety can add up. My boys also love trail mix and I do keep a bowl of fruit out all the time for them to eat from too.

My youngest has been eating like crazy all summer too. It is hard to keep him full, but I do my best. Good luck keeping up with your lads munchies!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

princesspatches
True Blue Farmgirl

431 Posts

arttie
iron mountain michigan
USA
431 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2011 :  1:22:11 PM  Show Profile
Good Luck. Nothing fills them up. We have 5 kids. 2 17 year old boys and a 12 year old boy. They NEVER Stop eating.

My husband is also a very hearty eater. So we can usually wipe out 18 eggs for breakfast plus the sides.

As far as snakcing, I just don't allow it too much. They need to hold off until meal times. Otherwise the kitchen would never close and I would feels like a short order diner. I just say 'no' and they eat much better at meal times.

Arttie

Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2011 :  1:35:14 PM  Show Profile
Our rule with snacks has always been if I point you to the fridge to an apple or a carrot and you actually go eat it, I know you're hungry and not just looking for something sweet and unnecessary. ;) I wouldn't want my kitchen to be a short order diner either! Snacks or between meal stuff wouldn't mean I was standing there waiting to whip something up for them, I was more thinking a recipe I could make when I had time and it would last awhile, as another "option". I used to have a really good filling granola recipe that I would make a ton of and if you were hungry and it was the middle of the afternoon, you grabbed a handful of that. I was just looking for other ideas. :)

There are times when if I let them snack it seems to lessen what they eat at mealtimes so we stop with the snacks, but this isn't one of those times (unfortunately!) They just seem extra ravenous!!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
-Oscar Wilde

Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2011 :  1:44:44 PM  Show Profile
I made burritos by the dozens, then froze them, when one of my boys was STARVING, he knew he could grab 1 or 2 out of the freezer, wrap it in foil, throw it in the oven for 20 minutes, and had a good filling snack, my boys would also wipe out the garden of ripe veggys in an afternoon, if I did not keep a good watch, or raid all the ripe fruit off the trees also, the joy of farm/ranch growing boys...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2011 :  1:45:46 PM  Show Profile
LOL Tina, I told them when we get an actual farm, they're each going to have their OWN milk cow!!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
-Oscar Wilde

Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2011 :  2:55:30 PM  Show Profile
when my kids were all still at home (3 boys & 1 girl), I had 2 milk cows plus a couple of milk goats at all times, still have 1 of each at all times now, cause I use it, and sell some, on top of I never know when a kid or two with their families will show up, lol...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2011 :  09:40:01 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I was thinking something high in protien might be what their bodies are needing if they are hungry all the time? What about having them make PB&J sandwiches or whatever they like best that is close? Or having hard boiled eggs on hand that they could eat? We buy cheese sticks in bulk at Costco because my husband is like this and he will grab one or two and that will tide him over until dinner.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2011 :  11:40:10 AM  Show Profile
That's exactly my thoughts too Alee.

A few things my mom did for the boys (boys really truly do get hungry between meals, believe me snacks never slowed down their meal time eating, heck it was the only way any of the rest of us stood a chance at getting any food at meal times!)

PB sandwiches
Grilled Cheese Sandwiches (add ham or turkey for extra protein and filling!).
eggs-something at their age they could probably make themselves even.
cheese, I personally love cheese sticks, they really didn't have them much in the stores when I was growing up though, so my mom would just buy the bulk cheese and cube it.
carrots and pb or apples and pb.

That's just off the top of my head.

Also baked potatoes, cheap and pretty filling, add some cheese on top and you get some protein filling boost as well.

And like some one else brought up bean burritos. Don't even need to be frozen.

I know my grandma and also my best friend's mom (both mexican) started each morning making a big stack of tortillas, and then we would eat them through the day. I just smeared butter on them. lol But, my best friend liked PB on his, and then other times we would smear beans on them (again protein factor). I know my mom gave my brothers LOTS of beans! lol haha Mom made huge pots of them for them to eat to like I said give the rest of us a chance as getting some food at meal times! lol haha

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

caitlinsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

86 Posts

Kim
St.A Idaho
USA
86 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2011 :  3:04:42 PM  Show Profile
I always have cheese sticks on hand and sliced deli meat (the good stuff without all the junk). I will wrap a cheese stick with a slice of meat and it does the trick. I have been known to make a big mix of trail mix and leave it on the counter, smear cream cheese in celery sticks, apples and peanut butter, and peanut butter granola with yogurt.

With my kids (my dd8 especially) having enough protein throughout the day is a big must. We cook breakfast at 7, snack at 10, lunch at 12, snack at 3, and dinner at 5. Because of the way kids metabolize food so quickly (especially farm kids!) they really do need to refuel every couple hours. I also make sure they drink a glass of water with every meal/snack. If they are hungry before those set times I tell them to drink water. Usually they are thirsty and interpreting it as hunger. :)

Good luck, I know exactly what you are going through right now. :D

www.imnaturallysimple.com
"Live slowly and simply, so that you have the time and space to love deeply and well. Hold your children close, as often as possible. Look deeply into their eyes, speak words of life, love and acceptance into and over them."
Go to Top of Page

Nanniekim
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Kim
Arizona
206 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2011 :  1:17:44 PM  Show Profile
Homemade whole wheat bread was something my kids would grab in between meals. It is very filling. Also use whole wheat if you make cookies so they are more filling and a little healthier. Also if they have to have a fruit or vegetable with every snack, they will usually snack only when they really are hungry.

Kim
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Filling up hungry farmboys? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page