Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Mysterious knee problem
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Mysterious knee problem Next Topic  

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2011 :  09:45:13 AM  Show Profile
Monday before last, I woke up to a lame and painful right knee. The pain is a persistent ache over the top of the knee and is causing me to limp badly due to stiffness and pain. I have been hoping that it will just leave as mysteriously as it came, but no luck yet. I am rather baffled. While I am always tripping over this and that due to my lousy eyesight and had fallen down the month before a couple of times and skinned my knees, nothing seemed seriously hurt at the time.

I've so far iced it, put heat on it, rubbed badger balm into it, all to no avail. I am loathe to just run off to the doctor all the time, but this is getting ridiculous! Any ideas what it could be or what might help it would be gratefully welcomed

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2011 :  11:19:36 AM  Show Profile
Annika-it could be softening of the cartilage around the kneecap, I have it and it's quite common for us middle-aged women. I bought a pair of hiking shoes from a company called Merrill and that has made a world of difference. Most shoes are designed based on men's legs, which are straight, rather than women's legs, which curve inward. An MRI from the dr. could determine if it's the cartilage. I hope not, cause it's a pain to deal with.
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2011 :  04:10:43 AM  Show Profile
I have knee problems due to weak ligaments. There is no way to test for it, but there are symptoms to look for. Leg pain, knees givin out without explaination, stiffness from sittin, and tenderness to the touch without trama to the area.

Pretty vague stuff, I know, but treatment is leg lift excercises, propper shoes, ace wraps for highly active times, and elevation after lots of activity. I also use muscle rubs when it's achey and try to do my work with lots of short breaks.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

Merry
True Blue Farmgirl

765 Posts

Merry
Ankeny Iowa
USA
765 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2011 :  05:12:24 AM  Show Profile
you could have torn the meniscus, if its not bad it can be repaired. Ice and rest helps, but a doctor's visit might be best.

Merry
Farmgirl #536

http://afarminmyheart.blogspot.com/

Your life is an occasion, rise to it. Mr. Magorium
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2011 :  10:07:57 PM  Show Profile
Annika:
About a month ago, my sweet hubby was in the garden pulling out old plants. He was stooped down and pulling. Evidently he pulled on plant out sideways and one of his knees when the opposite way. His knee puffed up huge. I brought him to a doctor the next day. They gave him a cortozone injection and pills for three days. His knee is much better now. But what really helped him the most was putting ice at least three times a day on the knee. Hope you feel better soon.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2011 :  10:31:05 PM  Show Profile
Well, I'm in quite a bit of pain tonight, icing does help tho', thank you all for the suggestions. I am giving in and calling my doctor tomorrow. I have too much to do to be lame and hurting like this!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Mysterious knee problem Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page