retasos2
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Pilar
Centereach NY
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2011 :  07:29:05 AM  Show Profile
We have two red star hens that had been laying one egg each consistantly since June. All of the suddent one of them stopped laying, this is our first year with chickens so we have no idea what is happening. HELP!

Pilar
Farmgirl Sister #2498
Little Hen House on the Island

" A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is, until she gets in hot water" Eleanore Roosevelt

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2011 :  09:22:39 AM  Show Profile
are they molting,is it really hot?? Red stars and sex links are almost identical, they usually do not completly stop laying, but will slow down a bit for various reasons, and only haveing 2 hens, makes it a lttle harder to count on eggs during stress times...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2011 :  10:18:55 AM  Show Profile
I'd guess molting too. . .

http://troutwife.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

retasos2
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Pilar
Centereach NY
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2011 :  1:49:14 PM  Show Profile
What does molting look like?

Pilar
Farmgirl Sister #2498

" A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is, until she gets in hot water" Eleanore Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2011 :  2:05:20 PM  Show Profile
molting is when they are "shedding" their old feathers, for new feathers, some will get bald spots, before the new come in, and others don't, it is normal...then there is also molting brought on by lice investation or lack or certain minerals/nutriants...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2011 :  11:45:50 AM  Show Profile
Honey I think you being in NY are having weather like I am up here in Massachusetts...too much rain & crazy weather which will knock them off their laying & eating....how old are the hens? Normally chickens don't molt the 1 st year of life...some will molt only every few years or molt so little you don't ever know it....I have hens that have never had a full molt & they are over 3 yrs old.....they lose a few feathers & that is it....others lose so many feathers you wonder where all the feathers are coming from...lol
also what are you feeding them? Can you up their protein, that always help....I started my 'kids' on a 21% protein feed (game & turkey feed) that is mixed in with the normal layers feed daily to help deal with the heat, humidity & less eating....don't feed any corn while it is hot also as this heats them up too much & they suffer.....I also give them wild bird dried mealy worms every few days I just throw out a handful to each run area for them to have....even if they are free ranging this gives them an extra boost......Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

retasos2
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Pilar
Centereach NY
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2011 :  12:18:21 PM  Show Profile
Hi Michele,

they are 6-7 months old. Can they eat deer feed? I'm going to the feed store and will pick up the game and turkey feed.

Pilar
Farmgirl Sister #2498

Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2011 :  3:33:06 PM  Show Profile
I strongly recommend a book : "A Guide to Raising Chickens", by Gail Damerow, that is put out by "Storey" books. It has pretty much everything covered, and it is great for beginers and long time owners alike...

Go to Top of Page

retasos2
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Pilar
Centereach NY
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2011 :  3:40:10 PM  Show Profile
I just order it. I also have chickens for dummies but it doesn't have any usuful info. in my opinion.

thanks for all the info.

Pilar
Farmgirl Sister #2498

Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2011 :  3:42:47 PM  Show Profile
Pilar, there is also a great magazine out called "Backyard Poultry", it has alot of good on going info...

Edited by - oldbittyhen on Aug 18 2011 3:43:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2011 :  12:37:03 PM  Show Profile
I believe deer feed has too much sugar(s) & corn in it for chickens...now saying that I also know that if a chicken has access to it they will eat it until they can't eat anymore...they love their sweets!!!!..I would recommend sticking to a bird feed of some sort but do not get any wild bird feed like you put in birdfeeders...not enough good stuff in there for them except as a treat.
do know that when you change their feed in protein that it will cause some different poo textures & colors until they have adjusted to it...this is normal so do not get alarmed if you see overly wet/watery or weird colors in the poo for a week or so....if it goes on longer than 2 weeks cut back on the amount of higher protein feed or mix it with the stuff they are used to getting.....
i too, have the backyard chicken mag & love it....also the web is wonderful for info...I have all the books but I hve to take bits & pieces from them...except for the chicken medical book which I recommend to eveyone who has chickens...though at first you will think your chickens have every ailment in the book...I am not kidding there....it will throw you for a loop at first but once you calm down you will see its a very handy book to have in your library....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic not laying eggs... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page