True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Leanne
Hamilton Montana
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2011 :  8:59:44 PM  Show Profile
Hey ladies.

Wondering what useful herbs can be grown in shady areas? So far in my herb garden I have 2 kinds of mint, rosemary, oregano, I planted calendula, hydrangea and some daylilies. I have so much more room but the areas left get only early morning light for a short time. I am really trying to get into the herbal thing and use herbs in place of over the counter meds.

Maizy-brownswiss/jersey
Sassafrass-06/20/10

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2011 :  11:52:28 AM  Show Profile
I'm still downsizing my magazine stash. This morning I ran across an article by Debra Kirkpatrick (1994 Herb Companion) 1994 lol! We live in the woods. Fortunately, we have some of these listed that grow naturally.Jack-in-the-pulpit, Wild ginger, goldenseal, mints, lungwort, Bloodroot and Sweet violet. She also listed Lady's mantle, Angelica, Chervil, Celandine poppy, Pipsissewa, Autumn crocus. Also, Lily-of-the Valley, Saffron crocus, Foxglove, Sweet woodruff, Wintergreen or teaberry, Hellebore,Lovage, Lemon balm, Sweet cicely, Catnip, Ginseng, Parsley, Costmary or alecost, and Valerian.

I added Chervil, Lily-of-the-valley, Fosglove, Lovage, Lemon Balm, Chocolate (of course) and Spearmint, Catnip, and Parsley to my own herb garden this year. Have Fun!

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page
  Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Herbs for Shady areas Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page