campchic
True Blue Farmgirl

312 Posts

Erin
Nebraska
USA
312 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  06:07:34 AM  Show Profile
My allergies are running rampant this month. Any helpful advice on getting them under control? I already do weekly allergy shots and take an allergy pill daily. I would be greatful for any ideas.

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  4:56:59 PM  Show Profile
homeopathics are awesome. I've gotten some from New Sun that work VERY well.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

Do not ask the Lord to guide your footsteps, if you are not willing to move your feet--Dr. Kioni

http://madame1313.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  6:43:27 PM  Show Profile
Have you tried local honey harvested in season? The pollen is supposed to help "inoculate" you. It's helped me, and a lot of people I know swear by it.
Also, I've found rinsing my nasal passages daily with a "Neil-Med", a type of neti pot, also helps.

A few years ago I was on antibiotics almost constantly for sinus infections. Haven't had one in years since I started this.

Jennifer
Farmgirl Sister #104

"Nature brings to every time and season some beauties of its own".
-Charles Dickens
Go to Top of Page

OGGFarmJess
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Jessy
Ivins Utah
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  8:05:53 PM  Show Profile
I've also heard that about local honey. Sniffles n Sneezes by Hylands is homeopathic and the only think that works for my daughter. Ayr makes a saline nasal gel that you can use to keep your nasal passages from getting dry and causing further irritation and sinus headaches too. I hope you find some relief soon!
Go to Top of Page

Catherine
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

Catherine Ann
Temple TX
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2011 :  05:25:32 AM  Show Profile
Local honey does work great, but it is best to use it as a tonic or preventive measure- a tablespoon a day to keep the allergens away. Put 1 tbl. honey and 1 tbl. of apple cider vinegar into a glass of water and drink it each morning (it's an acquired taste, but consider it medicine ;) ).
Nettle also works well for myself and my daughter. I use dried nettle from Mountain Rose herbs and make it into tea. Some people say freeze dried nettle capsules are more effective, but I've had good results with nettle tea so I haven't tried the capsules.
Lemon Balm is also said to be good for allergies, so you might want to add some lemon balm to the nettle tea as well.
Here is a link to a blog post on another way I use Nettle & Honey for allergy relief. http://stillroomherbs.blogspot.com/2011/05/nettle-honey-allergy-relief.html

And if you'd rather not be brewing tea, the Al-R-G formula from Trilight herbs is a good product.

Hope these ideas help you find some relief.
Blessings,
Catherine :)

http://stillroomherbs.blogspot.com
http://lovelivingsimply.blogspot.com/

Farmgirl Sister #1801

Judge each day not by the harvest you reap but by the seeds you plant. ~Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2701 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2701 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2011 :  05:54:59 AM  Show Profile
I would love some help with this, too. Mine are absolutely horrible. I used to get the shots, but I hated going so much that I stopped. I think that I just might need to go and get them again. August is always such a horrible month for allergies for me.

Farmgirl #170

Since you get more joy out of giving joy to others, you should put a good deal of thought into the happiness that you are able to give...Eleanor Roosevelt

http://marcysworldofcreativity.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2011 :  06:16:56 AM  Show Profile
Mine are going crazy too. I noticed a few days ago itchy watery eyes. So it's local honey for me. I do not want to take any more Allegra. Although it really does work. But right now I am going to try to do without it. I hope you can find something that works for you, Erin.

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

LaceMistress
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

New York
USA
28 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2011 :  05:22:57 AM  Show Profile
NatraBio has some terrific homeopathic remedies that work even on head colds. Also, strong peppermint tea (hot) helps with the stuffiness and congestion (three mugs of tea usually does the trick for me). If your sinuses are bothering, try a mug of chamomile tea every night before bed. This takes time to work, but eventually it does, and then when you stop for a few days you really notice a difference between taking it and not taking it even if you don't think it works.

Too much thread, so little time!

Edited by - LaceMistress on Aug 18 2011 05:24:10 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Allergies Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page