Island Gal
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Marcie
Texas
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2011 :  7:59:40 PM  Show Profile
I know a lot of u have RV's. We are planning on getting one soon and can't decide between a motor home or a 5th wheel. This is all new to us. We hope to travel a few months of the year. Any suggestions? What brand of trailer do you have? Do you love it? Is it easy to maintain? Would love input from my farm sisters about this. Oh, VINTAGE trailers are OUT. I would love one but hubby doesn't share my love for old things. Bummer!

britchickny
True Blue Farmgirl

1048 Posts

Angie
Port Orange Florida
1048 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2011 :  03:16:17 AM  Show Profile
We have a travel trailer and love it. My husbnad is very comfortable towing and has always felt that a motor home is just another vehicle to maintain. And if you don't tow a car behind a motor home, when you camp and need to go somehere, you have to pack up every time you leave camp.

ANGIE
"Mercy, peace and love be yours in abundance" JUDE 1:2

http://www.pinkroomponderings.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Island Gal
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Marcie
Texas
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2011 :  08:11:23 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Angie. I can't wait to find just the right one!
Go to Top of Page

Farmer Judy
True Blue Farmgirl

433 Posts

Judy
North Aurora IL
USA
433 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2011 :  08:33:31 AM  Show Profile
I agreed with Angie, I have had a travel trailer and a pop-up. Both gave us the convience of locking it up and going sightseeing. If our vehicle needs repair we are not losing are TT too. A few Christmases ago, we had the TT parked in the driveway and hid all the presents in it and wrapped all the packages in it. We have never tried a mobile home and really don't want to.

God bless,

Judy

Born a city girl but a farm girl at heart!

http://farmtimes.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

jclambert
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Judy
Stringtown Oklahoma
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2011 :  1:45:13 PM  Show Profile
We have a 28.5 ft. Jayco 5th wheel with 1 slide out. For my husband and I, it is the perfect size and thank goodness, he is great at pulling and backing it up. We have it down to about 15 minutes to set up in camp and about the same to get ready to leave. Wouldn't trade it for the world. Hope you find the one for you Marcie. Enjoy!

Judy

"Courage is when you're licked before you begin but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what". Atticus Finch - To Kill a Mockingbird
Go to Top of Page

Island Gal
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Marcie
Texas
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2011 :  5:35:23 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Judy's. I spent today going to RV dealers. WOW! A lot to pick from but some are SOOOO expensive! We will just have to keep looking. Think we have decided on a 5th wheel with slides.
Go to Top of Page

the butchers wife
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Kelly
Mo
27 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2011 :  5:52:41 PM  Show Profile
We just bought a Jayco last week, too. We've already taken it on a "Maiden Voyage." And will take it out again this weekend locally. So far we LoVE it. I really think it is going to allow us so much freedom and be able to save $$$. We searched and searched for a camper and decided on this one because it has a slide out that includes the dinette and a sofa bed. So when it's pulled out there's tons of room. Also, it has a lot of storage. All of the maintanence was really intimidating, but so much easier than we ever anticipated.
Is anyone a member of any camping clubs? and if so how do you like it?

Happy Camping,
Kelly
Go to Top of Page

Island Gal
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Marcie
Texas
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2011 :  7:36:02 PM  Show Profile
Congrats Kelly! Did you get a 5th wheel or a TT? I know you will have such great times with it. When I get one I wish I could fix it up cute inside like all the sweet vintage ones on here....
If anyone has ideas please share!
Go to Top of Page

britchickny
True Blue Farmgirl

1048 Posts

Angie
Port Orange Florida
1048 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2011 :  02:56:17 AM  Show Profile
A slide makes all the difference. Our 30' TT has just one slide and it is not a super slide (That goes out as far) We chose this one because when we are packing, even with the slide in, we can still move around very easily.
We do not belong to a group or anything but there are many Good Sam groups around the country and a great forum too, lots of very helpful info.

ANGIE
"Mercy, peace and love be yours in abundance" JUDE 1:2

http://www.pinkroomponderings.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

jclambert
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Judy
Stringtown Oklahoma
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2011 :  08:30:32 AM  Show Profile
Marcie, we bought ours used and got a really good deal on it. (It had never been pulled. A rancher had bought it for his hired hand to live in and it had very little use.) Keep looking and you may find a real steal.

Judy

"Courage is when you're licked before you begin but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what". Atticus Finch - To Kill a Mockingbird
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2011 :  9:05:22 PM  Show Profile
We have both, Trailers & a Class B mini Motorhome (20' Chinook)and love both. The motorhome is diffinatly comfy & i love driving it... but the disadvantage is you need a tow vehicle (car) to get around.
I luv my trailer, but it doesn't have a shower so I have to be sure to camp where there are showers available.
Many years ago we had a 20' Fleetwood trailer that was self contained & it was perfect for hubby, our daughter & myself....kind miss that trailer but I love what we have.
It's not so much the accommodations as much as it is the experience & fun.
Happy trails!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom.
"Is it time for my Dirt Manicure yet!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

vegetarian farmer
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Jane
Freedom pa
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2011 :  3:48:23 PM  Show Profile
We have a 23 foot class C motorhome and we love it. We have taken it from all four corners of the US and everywhere in between. I like an RV because I can go to the bathroom or go make dinner while my Husband is driving. It keeps us from making too many stops when putting on so many miles. I also travel with my 2 big dogs so they can walk around the cabin and get a drink of water or eat while driving also. Since we have a small RV we never have gone anywhere where the RV would not fit. Large cities almost always have oversized parking lots and small town roads are no problem. Some state and national parks will not let you on some roads if the length of vehicle is over 23 feet so travel trailers are not permitted on these roads. We also use the RV as an extra vehicle. If a car is in the shop we still can drive the RV anywhere we need to go and will often just take the RV on a drive for the day. Since it has a bathroom and kitchen there is nothing we need and can turn on the generator and run the AC if we have to leave the dogs in while we do something else. What ever you choose, you will love the RV lifestyle.

http://hardworkhomestead.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Island Gal
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Marcie
Texas
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2011 :  10:22:40 AM  Show Profile
Thank you all for the info. That class c sounds like something I would love but don't think hubby would like something that small. I don't much like the idea of pulling a 40 ft. 5th wheel around but I know it would be nice when it was all set up. We will keep looking and hope for a good deal on something.
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2011 :  10:53:45 AM  Show Profile
Hey Jane,
thanx for the info on how some States limit or restrict RV's over a certain size on certain roads....

You are so right about the accommodations for pets as well...we have two kitties and if we are going to be gone more than 2 days we can take them with us (in the motorhome)instead of depending on family to come in everyday to care for them.

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

Kampercatt
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Zoe
Elkhorn WI
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2011 :  2:01:41 PM  Show Profile
We have a 24' 5th wheel and love it, it has one slide out and is easy to pull [hubby's job] I've almost got my 13" Frolic Glamper to go on its first trip. It's fun to put your personal touch on them...
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2011 :  04:19:09 AM  Show Profile
We have a pop-up. Someday (I dream) that we'll upgrade to a motor home..... we're making plans.

My hubby is the same way - he doesn't share my love for the older trailers. He sees it as more work for him. He's busy working on the house so no other projects!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My new blog - http://citychickadventures.blogspot.com/ Come visit me!

Farm Girl #790

http://pinterest.com/debbie_s/

https://twitter.com/EllieFunt

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2011 :  11:14:27 AM  Show Profile
hey Zoe,
luv your lil 'Frolic' and the way you have it set up.... I was just on the phone to karen~kpaints telling her about it and yacking about an upcoming camping trip.

Happy Trails....

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

Turtlemoon
Farmgirl Legend Schoolmarm

378 Posts

Tanya
Port Orchard Washington
USA
378 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2011 :  12:42:50 PM  Show Profile
hi, we sold our little aloha 66 this spring and picked up a 5th wheel. (hubby wanted the joy of peeing inside during the winter weekend camping this year) lol. I do so enjoy the 5th wheel. Our bed feels like a little retreat away from the rest of the trailer. Especially if others are staying there too. We are fortunate to have property that it stays on though and not haul it.

Raggedy Ann stuck in a Barbie Doll World

FarmGirl#1737

http://www.etsy.com/shop/moonhonu
Go to Top of Page
  Outpost: Previous Topic Do You Have An RV? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page