Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 Woman's Rabbits Taken - Not To A Better Place.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Woman's Rabbits Taken - Not To A Better Place. Next Topic
Page: of 2

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2011 :  09:40:13 AM  Show Profile
http://bobmccarty.com/2011/08/10/anonymous-call-to-new-animal-abuse-hotline-leads-to-raid-on-colorado-womans-rabbit-farm/

There is a difference between pet rabbits and meat rabbits. Some pet rabbit group called animal control on this woman. She raises her rabbits very well. Animal Control confiscated her rabbits because she couldn't pay the fine and now her rabbits are not in a better place.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Don't go with the flow...you are the flow.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2011 :  10:03:43 AM  Show Profile
This is a travesty.

Animal rights groups are so disconnected from reality... If anything they should probably be lobbying to require all hatchery chicks be shipped with electrolytes or something.

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers

Edited by - Dusky Beauty on Aug 14 2011 10:06:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2011 :  12:04:26 PM  Show Profile
This is ridiculous, as someone who dreams of one day having a small farm this kind of stuff really scares me. By the time I am able to do this we won't be allowed to do anything or the rules will be so ridiculous as to make it impossible. Add to that the law or government or whoever can come in with basically no case and no warrant and you have no rights or recourse to do anything about it? Even if her case gets turned over her rabbits are gone or damaged, the damage is done and she will have a hard time recovering :(. Horrible.

I would love to raise angoras, hubby has offered to build me a small rabbitry of some sort with some sort of cooling system, where we are now we could only have a couple but it would be a start. But I'm afraid to even try because I'm afraid I would get accused of animal abuse for treating them like (well treated) livestock instead of house pets....I have small children, we tried a house rabbit that thing was horrible, chewed EVERYTHING and sprayed EVERYTHING, I still smell it and its been gone a year! I can't have that in a house with babies....(I won't eat rabbit because of my own food preferences or I would raise them for meat).

Farmgirl Sister #3275
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2011 :  12:18:52 PM  Show Profile
This is beyond ridiculous. When will all of this "homeland" terrorism and absolute stupidity stop? Sheesh.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

Do not ask the Lord to guide your footsteps, if you are not willing to move your feet--Dr. Kioni

http://madame1313.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2011 :  7:46:13 PM  Show Profile
I have wanted to raise rabbits for my family only and stories like this have kept me wary of doing so. These groups are extremists and cause problems for everyone. There is a reason God said man was to have dominion over all the animals. They also think cats are evil because they have that natural instinct to kill birds. The problem is bigger than you think. If you want to know what the big picture is, read about the Wildlands project or Agenda 21.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2011 :  8:00:31 PM  Show Profile
Utterly ridiculous. How very very frustrating. And for fear of going off on a HUGE rant, I think I'll just leave it at that!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

homsteddinmom
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Brandee
bullard tx
USA
441 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2011 :  03:59:22 AM  Show Profile  Send homsteddinmom a Yahoo! Message
Yes i have heard stories of people getting onto people land and letting all there rabbits go, or shutting off watering systems so they all die due to no water, or dump feeders, its all because they dont agree with what they are used for. I sell a few rabbits a year to help pay for feed for the ones we raise to show or eat. but never have people come to my house as i dont want anyone knowing where i live, that saves me and my livestock!

Homesteading Mom in East Texas. Raising chickens, Rabbits and goats here on my farm!
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2011 :  05:00:18 AM  Show Profile
Brandee,
That is what we do too! We don't let anyone know our business, especially our rabbits. We don't sell them, they are just for our consumption.

Our 4H fair still has rabbits for meat shown. PETA was there protesting the rodeo, but they didn't protest the animals sold for meat.
The rodeo is a "show rodeo". The animals are treated like stars!

farmgirl sister #922

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White

Edited by - Fiddlehead Farm on Aug 15 2011 05:02:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2011 :  05:41:54 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That is CRAZY! I am shocked that they would be on her property without a search warrant. I hope her lawyer is able to get this resolved. Law enforcement needs an education campaign from food producers that take good care of their animals to offset the "pet" education that other groups give. Not every animal is or should be a pet.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2011 :  07:58:52 AM  Show Profile
You know I saw a "Time" magazine that touted farming as the new up and coming BIG moneymaking business.

Yeah, right. With stuff like this happening insurance rates will go up so high it'll be impossible to make anything unless you're a HUGE, BIG time farmer.

Let me just say it: We can't treat our cow herds and our chickens and our rabbits like children! It's too time consuming and expensive! Yes, my cattle are free range, one is even a pet. My chickens are free range, come when you call them, but when it's 90 degrees outside I can't afford to air condition them! Really?! This story makes me so mad! Soon we'll be required to dress our animals (Beyond blanketing a horse) and tuck them in at night!

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com

Edited by - walkinwalkoutcattle on Aug 15 2011 07:59:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2011 :  8:16:34 PM  Show Profile
Seriously the rabbits need air conditioning?! I don't have air conditioning in my home and I have two kids, does it make me a bad parent?

---
Farmgirl #2951
Currently renting-farmgirl wannabe
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2011 :  05:58:33 AM  Show Profile
Okay. I just want to throw up. Sorry to be so blunt, but this just makes me ill, straight to my very marrow. And terrifies me. We use our animals for food as well as compost for our veggies. To be honest, they are spoiled rotten, but at all times they are cared for (sometimes better than we care for ourselves)and always treated with dignity and respect. And to think that someone could just walk in and take them? Not a good thing.

from the hearts of paradise...
1Thess. 4:11
Go to Top of Page

chickenladycris
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Cris
Prairie Farm WI
USA
77 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2011 :  2:25:02 PM  Show Profile
I am very selective as to who I share with, that I keep rabbits for meat. I also raise chickens for meat, and nobody gets overwrought about that, but when I say "and rabbits", there is this little gasp of dismay. I can't help thinking, okay. I get it. Fuzzy cute bunny, it is hard to wrap your brain around EATING that bunny. But, then those people turn around and buy cellophane meat from the grocery store and feed it to their kids, and I go: ewwww. Do you KNOW what happened to that meat, before it was on your plate? The way we treat animals in commmerical feed lots and slaughter houses is appalling, but I'm a "bad person" because I choose to care for humanely, keep clean & tidy & cool in the hot days, treat with decency and kindness, my meat rabbits up until the day that they are fulfilling their purpose to become my dinner. If animal rights activitists and humane society bureaucrats thought it through, their focus should be on the system that makes it "okay" to treat mass-produced chickens, pigs, and cattle like trash before they become society's dinners.
Okay. Sorry for the rant. This just makes me soooooooo mad!!!!!

"A farmgirl can never have enough chickens!"--me
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2011 :  2:29:00 PM  Show Profile
Cris,
I couldn't have said it better myself.

farmgirl sister #922

- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

chickenladycris
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Cris
Prairie Farm WI
USA
77 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2011 :  2:45:50 PM  Show Profile
I want to add: I have GREAT respect for the families who own or operate commercial farms. Around here, there are literally hundreds of farms that stay afloat because they contract with a large corporation that provides much of the turkey meat available to the US & Canada. Because they need the money to provide for their family, and keep the family farm running, they need to work with the agency that will KEEP them in business. I just think it is a sad, sad thing that our society allows corporations to dictate the "right" way to provide food to the nation, and makes the family farm become an environment that puts the livestock in a very stressful, not-nice situation before it becomes food. I don't think many folks get into or stay in farming with this kind of a "mass production" vision to the animals they will raise...
I, however, cannot stomach eating that meat after I have seen the conditions that it lived in, for it's entire life. (Oooooh, it just gives me the shivers!!) So, I am taking a personal stand and raising my own, and talking with people about "why do I do it?" when I can (and feel non-threatened doing so!)
I really must stop ranting. It must be the weather...or the topic...

Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2011 :  4:34:46 PM  Show Profile
I'd love an update on this story-where it goes.

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2011 :  05:54:59 AM  Show Profile
I will follow and update.

farmgirl sister #922

- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

MEWolf
True Blue Farmgirl

358 Posts

Margaret
Byers Colorado
USA
358 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2011 :  06:23:42 AM  Show Profile
Such a sad state of affairs Cris you nailed it! I feel the same way. I tell people: "If you are not brave enough to know and accept where your meat comes from, better become a vegetarian!" Humans are at the top of the food chain. And animals that are raised with loving care, and that are happy pass that along to the humans who eat them. I wish there was not such a disconnect between people and the food they eat

Margaret

“Kind hearts are the gardens, kind thoughts are the roots, kind words are the flowers, kind deeds are the fruits. Take care of your garden and keep out the weeds, fill it with sunshine, kind words and kind deeds.” ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1808-1882)
Farmgirl #3020
www.grey-wolf-farm.com
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2011 :  11:32:35 AM  Show Profile
A friend just sent me a link to this story, with lots of photos, and I truely believe that she is guilty of what she is being charged with, #1 the rabbits that are in the photos are not meat rabbits, they are dwarfs and fiber rabbits, #2 the cages these rabbits were in were so disgustingly filthy, that I am amazed that there were not alot more dead rabbits in their cages, #3 the fiber rabbits were soooooooooo matted, you could not tell what end was what, and I could go on and on...so if any of you want me to email you the link, let me know, cause I don't know how to post it here...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2011 :  4:47:04 PM  Show Profile
Tina,
I would like to see that link please.

farmgirl sister #922

- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2011 :  5:51:35 PM  Show Profile
Ok, all you need to do to get the photos regarding this women's rabbits is : google "Huffpost Denver", and then in their search engine, type in : "Debe Bell", be prepared, the photos will make you sick...this women is coming up with a lot of differant stories/lies on why her rabbits were in the condition they were in...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2011 :  6:08:56 PM  Show Profile
Tina,
Thanks, you just don't know who to believe. The other story is from a reputable link, but if those are truly her rabbits in the photos, then I apologize. They are not treated well and should have been seized. I treat my rabbits very well. I grow fresh fruit and veggies for them and clean their cages regularly. They give me the best fertilizer for my garden.

farmgirl sister #922

- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2011 :  6:28:37 PM  Show Profile
Diane, this story was sent to me by a friend, who will remain un-named who works undercover with the Humane dept, I had asked if she knew about this women and her rabbits and she said she would check it out for me, and today sent me the news story, cause it was way more than she could send me personaly, other wise she could blow her undercover status, she said this women has been fined in the past, but this was the worst anyone had seen, there wasn't a meat rabbit on the place, they were either dwarfs or fiber types, many were so sick and had maggots due to hock rot, lack of water and starvation that a huge amount of them were euthanized, several private vets helped out do to the amount of rabbits and even seasoned humane officers were gaging and the tears were there...the pictures tell the story...

Go to Top of Page

chickenladycris
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Cris
Prairie Farm WI
USA
77 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2011 :  6:57:07 PM  Show Profile
Wow. Okay, if those pictures are truly from the same farm as the blogger post, that is waaaaaaaaaaay different story than the initial blogging described! Yikes. No wonder why they were seized, and how interesting there aren't any meat rabbits shown...when that was the thrust of the blogger's post (among other things, like bashing the house rabbit group).
Anyhow, my commentary about "knowing your meat & treating it nicely" still stands! I promise, it may look a little fur-crazy in there right now (as one of my angoras is shedding like a banshee), but my rabbits will NEVER have to survive in conditions as described in those pictures....eeesh.

Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2011 :  7:07:39 PM  Show Profile
Cris, I do not think there is a farmgirl here that would treat any of their animals; livestock or pets that way. I raise cal/new zeland crosses for meat, and they are in the same barn as my kids 4-H projects were back when, which included meat and fancy...all registered and yes some went to championship at the fairs. I believe that "Debe Bell" was in it for the money, and when the economy tanked, and rabbits were no longer selling, she just did not care anymore, and the results were the story the pictures told, shame, shame on her, and all others like her...

Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2011 :  2:13:33 PM  Show Profile
Ok this made me sick & mad....the photos they took are so bad I am surprised any were still alive.....question is...how hard is it to water & feed a rabbit or rabbits...or to dust off the fan in there.....I have raised rabbits & that much poo means months of no cleaning......its also amazing they weren't blind from the urine that had built up.....definitely no meat rabbits that I saw in the pics & even if there was that is no way to take care of them...can you image what deceases those rabbits might be carrying that could hurt anyone that would eat them...Yuck...double yuck...what gets me is this woman will probably get out of most of the fines & then go back to doing this again once she thinks the coast is clear....I also wonder if this woman isn't some type of hoarder from the amount of cages/rabbits she had.....gives all us humane treating people a bad name.....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Woman's Rabbits Taken - Not To A Better Place. Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page