nabrown42
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Nancy
Caneyville KY
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2011 :  07:57:28 AM  Show Profile
When we move to KY, we want to be as self-sufficient as possible. Is it cost effective to grow our own grain for wheat flour and corn meal? There are just the 2 of us and we have NO experience in such a project so any advice would be appreciated. We will be using primitive methods for harvesting and grinding to save money.

Nancy B.

"I've wept in the night for the shortness of sight that to someone's needs I've been blind; but I've yet to feel a twinge of regret for being a little too kind."

Melina
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Melina

USA
435 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2011 :  09:15:20 AM  Show Profile
I would need much more info to make an educated guess. How much flat, usable land? How old are you? How much finished product to you anticipate needing? I've always heard it's easier to buy wheat and corn in bulk and grind it yourself than to try to grow it. Takes up a lot of land better used to raise stock or grow an orchard or garden. Hope someone else replies and we get a good amount of input for you.

The morning breeze has secrets to tell you. Do not go back to sleep.
Rumi
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2011 :  09:30:48 AM  Show Profile
I had an uncle who grew his own wheat under his orchard. He planted a very early crop of wheat and it was done and out of the way by the time we needed to pick the fruit. He also saved his wheat stalks for choppin up into mulch for his garden the next spring. It was a really spaced out and large orchard.

I guess it kinda does depend on how much grain you need, how much land you have, what kind of grain, and if you'll need to grow your own replacement seed or will be buyin it each year.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

nabrown42
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Nancy
Caneyville KY
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2011 :  1:09:07 PM  Show Profile
We have about 20 acreas of open meadow. We are both almost 70 and I bake all our bread. I used to buy wheat in bulk and grind every morning for flour and told dh that I think that's a more economical way for us to proceed since there are better ways to use our time than tending to a wheat field but hubby seems to think differently. If enough farmgirls argree with me, he'll give in. He's talking cutting by hand and I think after surgery to fuse 3 vertrabraes, he won't be up to the task.

"I've wept in the night for the shortness of sight that to someone's needs I've been blind; but I've yet to feel a twinge of regret for being a little too kind."
Go to Top of Page

Melina
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Melina

USA
435 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2011 :  9:29:39 PM  Show Profile
I wouldn't want to try to cut wheat and thresh it by hand at 70. I'm 63 and always trying to streamline and simplify my lifestyle to fit my limits. Is it possible, yes. Is it advisable, maybe not. I would personally use that 20 acres for any number of other things, including orchard, berry patch, chicken tractor movement, huge garden and maybe even a couple acres of timber for firewood.

The morning breeze has secrets to tell you. Do not go back to sleep.
Rumi
Go to Top of Page

nabrown42
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Nancy
Caneyville KY
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2011 :  07:42:30 AM  Show Profile
We are planning on an orchard, raised bed garden, lots of berry bushes and have 14 acres of timber and since there is a wood stove in the living room, we are cutting and stacking wood already. The ice storm two years ago brought down enough timber for another season of firewood. We'll be harvesting timber this year for next year's needs.

I agree with you about being a tad too old to be thrashing grain by hand ... I just wanted to hear that we'd be cutting off more than we could chew by growing grains. I don't know how much turkey red wheat costs by the 100 pound sack. That's how I used to get my wheat for flour in the early 70's for my baking business. I baked for 14 families and for our family of 7 (5 children, my ex-husband and me).

Thanks for your opinions. I knew I'd get good advice on the forum.

Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Planting advice Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page