Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 i think he finally found his "thing"!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic i think he finally found his "thing"!! Next Topic  

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2011 :  1:49:20 PM  Show Profile
I'm so excited. We homeschool our sons (7 and 8 years old). My oldest is a rule follower by nature, hard worker, the proverbial "good" student. My youngest is squirrely, doesn't like to sit for long, hard to concentrate, etc, etc. He's never quite on the same planet as I am and school with him can be a struggle. Or, should I say, I have to work harder at being creative with teaching him.

But today....

My youngest has been asking forever to learn to play the violin. I told him I wasn't investing in an instrument until he showed me he'd learn to read music. I thought it was a done deal since he can't sit still for ANYTHING. We have a large keyboard and he's always banging around on that, but he can't read music and doesn't know what the keys are.

He kept asking and asking so today I said "Ok, I'm going to teach you to read music." We sat on my bed with the keyboard, I told him how to find middle C. I told him about measures and time signatures and notes and what the names of them were. I wrote out the staff and showed him FACE and EGBDF. He sat still for the WHOLE thing. Not kidding! I couldn't believe it! Total night and day difference.

But THEN I said "Ok, how about I write out some notes to a song you might know and you see if you can play it and tell me what song it is." I wrote out Mary Had A Little Lamb (but I didn't tell him what song it was). He looked at it, played it through twice and told me what it was. I was shocked. Then I wrote out Are You Sleeping. He did the same thing. I wrote out Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. He did the SAME thing!! You guys, he's NEVER read music before! Then he says "Hey. I really like this music thing."

Holy. Moly. I think it's safe to say he's found his THING!! :)

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2011 :  1:55:29 PM  Show Profile
AWESOME! I'd drown him in music! :) And you can use it as a reward for sticking with the stuff he doesn't like as much.
Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2011 :  3:45:42 PM  Show Profile
That's so cool! Does he have an instrument he is interested in?

Liz
Farmgirl #1947
www.militaryfarmgirl.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2011 :  4:31:26 PM  Show Profile
He wants to play violin/fiddle, cello, piano, and guitar. Nothing like big aspirations, eh? ;)

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
-Oscar Wilde

Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2011 :  5:29:44 PM  Show Profile
They're wonderful aspirations! My grandmother plays over 10 instruments all by ear. If you've got it, you've got it.
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2011 :  3:40:19 PM  Show Profile
It is so great when someone finds their "thing". What a world you have opened up for him!

~ Elaine
Farmgirl sister #2822

"Find yourself a cup of tea; the teapot is behind you. Now tell me about hundreds of things." ~Saki

http://embchicken.blogspot.com
http://gusandtrudy.blogspot.com
http://embchicken-thechubbychicken.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2011 :  6:35:43 PM  Show Profile
Woo hoo!!! That is SO incredible! I bet that's a day you both will remember FOREVER. :) Great job to BOTH of you! :)

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2011 :  7:04:13 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
wonderful...you go youngest son...you go....I know you are so very proud..glad he found his thing...

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2011 :  7:32:25 PM  Show Profile
My youngest doesn't know it, but we have a violin hiding for him, waiting for Christmas. Picked it up as a great deal from a blog reader of mine, actually. :) I am so excited to see him open it!!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
-Oscar Wilde

Go to Top of Page

jollyquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

WV
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2011 :  8:17:04 PM  Show Profile
He will be so happy and I am so glad he found his thing!

www.StuffByKim.etsy.com
http://fiberandflea.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2011 :  08:23:53 AM  Show Profile
That is awesome news. I'm glad he found something he cares so much for and your Christmas gift will mean that much more for him.

Laurie

http://www.inntheorchardbnb.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic i think he finally found his "thing"!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page