Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2011 :  06:34:31 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I finally got some produce from my garden!!

We have had several tomatoes from the garden and a few I pulled slightly early because I was worried that I might lose them at the peak due to slugs or something.

I also have been harvesting Swiss Chard for over a month and a half now. I think that stuff can grow 6 inches in a night it seems! I have taken two HUGE bags of the stuff to co-works, juiced it, wilted it and eaten it raw. It still is taking over my garden!! Talk about an over achiever! LOL

Yesterday I harvested and ate my first cucumber that I have EVER grown! It was so exciting and rewarding! I am very pleased!

I am just waiting for my watermelon and cantelope to mature. They are going to be so so yummy!!

How are your gardens doing?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com

mydakota
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

kristi
redmond oregon
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2011 :  08:29:55 AM  Show Profile
So far I have harvested Swiss Chard, 3 kinds of lettuce, spinach, mustard greens, strawberries, asparagus, yellow squash, zucchini, peas and a few baby potatoes, garlic, mint, chives, rosemary, and rhubarb. I think that is everything. I have LOADS of tomatoes on the vine, but so far none have ripened. I figure about 2 weeks. Fun, isn't it? :-)

HearthCricket Farm. Where the door is always open, and the coffee is always on.
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2011 :  08:59:49 AM  Show Profile
Congrats, Alee! Your first cuke ever! That's fun. :)

We have only harvested a small amount of green beans (just last night). Our garden is so very sad this year. :( I have to believe that next year will be better!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2011 :  11:32:22 AM  Show Profile
Alee, Unfortunately my spring garden is over here in Florida but have started preparing for my fall garden. I got lots of Tomatos, potatoes, squash and zucchinni out of my spring garden. I did not plant any peas or okra for summer this year. To busy taking care of other things. But I am looking forward to my fall garden! I planted a few thornless blackberries for next year and also strawberries. I am going at the end of this month and pick up a few peach and pecan trees to add to my garden.

Seize The Day!
Dorinda
Go to Top of Page

mydakota
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

kristi
redmond oregon
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2011 :  11:41:24 AM  Show Profile
Oh. And Broccoli. I almost forgot the broccoli.

HearthCricket Farm. Where the door is always open, and the coffee is always on.
Go to Top of Page

Farmer Judy
True Blue Farmgirl

433 Posts

Judy
North Aurora IL
USA
433 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2011 :  12:03:51 PM  Show Profile
Alee, congrats on your cuke!!! I have gotten Lettuce, Eggplant, Yellow squash, zuchinni,tomatoes and radishes....all in the last week, nothing but the lettuce before that. What a weird summer.

God bless,

Judy

Born a city girl but a farm girl at heart!

http://farmtimes.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2011 :  12:14:39 PM  Show Profile
Alee~ I am so jealous of you and your cukes. I was abe to harvest one before the groundhog got to them. Groundhog ate my peas and stringbeans. My squash plants blossomed but then the blooms fell off and ...nothing. I did have a lot of sunflowers, strawberries, i had my first red tomato today, I picked it for the same reason you did. I have a lot of green ones getting ready to ripen. Potatoes and carrots are in the ground. September I'll harvest them. My mint, basil, oregano, thyme, rue and patchouli are doing really well. I have canteloupes and watermelon too - but not much activity there. The good thing is I am rethinking what to grow for next year - never too early to start planning!

~ Elaine
Farmgirl sister #2822

"Find yourself a cup of tea; the teapot is behind you. Now tell me about hundreds of things." ~Saki

http://embchicken.blogspot.com
http://gusandtrudy.blogspot.com
http://embchicken-thechubbychicken.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2011 :  1:39:58 PM  Show Profile
I'm jealous too! We had such a strange year here: wettest May on record, then virtually no rain in June or July. My poor lettuce all washed out of the ground, and my basil never got above 6 inches high. But my pole beans are looking to be spectacular in a few days! And I may actually get a few tomatoes this year. I'll be as proud of them as you are of your cuke.
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Finally!! Some produce!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page