Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2006 :  06:07:06 AM  Show Profile
Just started reading Fannie Flagg's new book, "CAN'T WAIT TO GET TO HEAVEN". only a little bit into it but looks like another winner for Fannie. Her books are so funny and down home. Nice easy read.
NANCY JO

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2006 :  08:00:21 AM  Show Profile
Nancy -- thanks for posting this info. I love Fannie Flagg's books!

Visit my blog at http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2006 :  08:35:56 AM  Show Profile
I love her books!! I am planning to get this one when I go up to Provo on Friday school shopping with all four kids..it will be my reward after what will be a long day I am sure!!
I can hardly wait to read it!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2006 :  3:53:33 PM  Show Profile
I like her stuff. It's just a kind, gentle read...I'll have to go online and request it from our library. Thanks for the tip :)
Sharon

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

Kelly43
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

NJ
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2006 :  8:15:14 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the report. Have asked for this one for my birthday. Keep us posted if you are still enjoying it.
Kelly
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2006 :  08:02:24 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for posting this. I love her books and didn't know she had a new one!

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

http://happymama58.typepad.com/my_weblog/
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2006 :  5:56:03 PM  Show Profile
Just finished the book. It was wonderful. I laughed. I cried. I was happy. I was sad. I kept thinking of my mother-in-law who is just the opposite of Elner.What a shame and a waste of a long life. And what I simply answer for the age old question of the meaning of life. Now I'm going to read all Fannie Flagg's other books.

I've always been called a dreamer, but I never listened. I did what others dare not do--lived my dream while they watched. Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2006 :  8:01:58 PM  Show Profile
I got it today while up north..I need to quick finish the book I am reading and then will start it..can't wait!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2006 :  11:56:50 PM  Show Profile
Our library has it one order. Have my name on the list to check it out when it comes in. Can't wait.

Visit my blog at http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2006 :  05:40:23 AM  Show Profile
Joann, mountain girl,
Yes you will like all her books, "STANDING IN THE RAINBOW" has a lot of the same people in it as her new book that you just read. This book takes place in the late 40's. Of couse "FRIED GREEN TOMATOES", and a very funny one, "DAISY FAY AND THE MIRACLE MAN".
Hope you get to read them all.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2006 :  09:13:57 AM  Show Profile
I totally recomend them all too...some of my favorite books ever. And Redbird Christmas..so sweet..I love them all.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2006 :  1:02:33 PM  Show Profile
Just got back from Rendezvous Days in town and of course any trip to town means you have to stop at the thrift stores. Glad I did because I found a Flannie Flagg book at one for 25 cents. Yippee! JoAnn

I've always been called a dreamer, but I never listened. I did what others dare not do--lived my dream while they watched. Unknown
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2006 :  3:09:28 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!

I just love the new book and all of the others. Seems like more and more my taste runs to books that are "kind and gentle." Wish that the world was more like this.

Connie
Texas Farm Girl

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2006 :  11:54:53 PM  Show Profile
I am currently reading the new book. A friend gave it to me, and I had not read Fannie Flagg before. I saw the movie from her Fried Green Tomatoes, and loved that. Anyway, I am going to enjoy this book!

Peace
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2006 :  5:45:17 PM  Show Profile
All of her books are the sweetest reads. I don't really love any one of them more than another, but for the one that makes you heart light, it has to be Redbird Christmas. I could not stop thinking about it once it was finished. I loved the new one too.
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2006 :  06:29:10 AM  Show Profile
well ladies, I have never even heard of Fannie Flag(although, I have heard of the movie "Fried Green Tomatoes") Her books sound wonderful...I'll have to get the little book store in town to order some for me....I am so lucky to have that book store. We barter for things..he gives me books, I give him beef or pork...What a beautiful relationship!!!! Have a great day ladies!! Mella

mellaisbella "I wanna touch the earth, I want to break it in my hands, I want to grow something wild and unruly"
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2006 :  07:22:39 AM  Show Profile
Oh Mella you will love them..There are a few (Standing under the Rainbow, Welcome to the World Baby Girl, and the new one CAn't wait to go to Heaven) that have the same characters and are set in the same town and then Redbird Christmas..I agree it is so sweet and I LOVED it. I love them all. She is quite talented and I love her characters!
Hey Mella..by the way..email me your address and i will mail you off that flap cap (toque) that I said I would send you. I have been rather "out of it" lately and havn't managed to get around to sending it off to you!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2006 :  2:53:31 PM  Show Profile
Oh Jenny,

Redbird Christmas was absolutely wonderful!!! Love it. Love all Fannie Flagg's books. Will look for this new one at the library.

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2006 :  4:31:51 PM  Show Profile
You are more than welcome to borrow mine if you don't find it!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2006 :  10:06:05 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Jenny!

If I don't find it, I'll let you know.

Debbie

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2006 :  08:10:06 AM  Show Profile
Ditto to what everyone has said...........I love all of her books. This one is great too, I laughed so hard! Makes you want to live in Elmwood Springs.

Blessings!

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2006 :  3:56:08 PM  Show Profile
I read it last week and absolutely loved it. Flagg is one of my favorite authors and she never fails to live up to my expectations.

Please visit me at www.marykay.com/pmiinch
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2006 :  4:46:29 PM  Show Profile
Do any of you actually live in a town that has an old-fashioned radio station full of the kind of small town information that Fannie Flagg's Aunt Dorothy used to host? My town (Riverhead, Long Island) has a hometown station that is sort of like that, but more on the local politics than the cooking, etc. I have thought that it would be so rewarding to be part of a local radio station that kept people company during the day and early evening. Ours is pretty close, but not enough girlie stuff.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2006 :  7:10:25 PM  Show Profile
Our local radio station is alot like that...there is a talk show (local stuff) in the mornings,
"tradio on the radio" where you can list anything you want to sell or trade for free, birthday announcements and a free cake to the one who wins the drawing each day, high school football games and announcements of things like elementary school programs, parades and team wins. I love to listen to the radio here. Country music too, as well as Paul Harvey and like that..but enough local stuff to make it really fun. I do wish there was a "neighbor Dorothy though!!!"
Our local tv station is really fun too..they play football games, high school plays, local pageants, school christmas programs, parades, just about everything. They even had videos that local high school kids had made for a class. They show dance and piano recitals and 4th of July at the park even the Halloween parade. The kids are so thrilled to see themselves on TV!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2006 :  08:43:23 AM  Show Profile
We have a station like that -- some political but lots of local type stuff. They have several weekly programs by local "experts" on particular topics -- gardening, cooking, local business activities, local community events like free free concerts, etc.

It's a refreshing change from the normal radio programs, and I enjoy listening when I can.

Please visit me at www.marykay.com/pmiinch
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2006 :  4:49:25 PM  Show Profile
I sure do wish that I could listen to some of your stations too. I love ours, but wish there was a little more housekeeping kinds of stuff on there. Wouldn't it be fun to listen to the radio and then a guest just drops by the station to talk about her newest recipe or her children, etc. I would like that. Might make me take a break during the day more often. Our local station has Paul Harvey too! I love his news. Our station carries the girls' field hockey games, softball, etc. I liked that when my daughter was in high school. Her dad could listen to the game when he was in the truck between jobs. All in all, our Riverhead station is pretty small town, but we need a female voice in there as well. Maybe I'll tell the owner to think about it. Thanks for sharing with me! :)
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic FANNIE FLAGG'S NEW BOOK Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page