Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Fallen corn Next Topic  

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2011 :  09:58:43 AM  Show Profile
A whole row of my corn has fallen on it's side. The plants look fine, just lazy! They are short rows so I'm thinking of just staking them up with bamboo stakes and twine. Don't know if it was the wind or somekind of pest/disease or if they got planted too shallow? Anyone else ever had this problem? Think the stakes would work?

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!

Beverly Gill
True Blue Farmgirl

1114 Posts

Beverly
Marlborough
USA
1114 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2011 :  3:46:54 PM  Show Profile
Audrey, I know nothing about corn----just hoping you farm gals can tell me what to expect now that the tassels are up on the corn stalks......where are the ears of corn???? Not a good productive year for my garden YET...Lack of Bees?

Beverly Gillwho loves getting dirty BUT sure has a lot to learn.

There's no place like home
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2011 :  7:26:50 PM  Show Profile
Mine have fallen over from over watering them..could that be it? We had a micro burst blow through here last year about this time and knocked my corn over and I did what you said...bamboo and twine and I still got my little corn crop in.
My corn is shorter than it should be and no ears yet this year..but we have had a wet summer...and I never usually get to harvest it until late Aug or sept anyhow.
So Beverly..don't give up yet..could be just you wont' get ripe corn yet for awhile either. Mine are tasseled now too...so it won't be TOO awfully long.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Beverly Gill
True Blue Farmgirl

1114 Posts

Beverly
Marlborough
USA
1114 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2011 :  8:43:12 PM  Show Profile
thanks Jenny,

thats what I thought---but wasn't sure

Beverly

There's no place like home
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2011 :  1:28:16 PM  Show Profile
Sorry ladies! Here I post a question then don't get back for days to view the replies! Thanks for the info Aunt Jenny. I think it is the watering that caused it since I also found my summer squash have exposed roots too. Need to get a drip system in. This is a new garden and just haven't gotten around to it yet. I may not even get corn this year since it's still only about knee high.

On a side note...did you know that each kernel on the cob has it's own silk? I just recently found that out and I thought WOW!

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Fallen corn Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page