Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 trying to learn about sewing machines
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic trying to learn about sewing machines Next Topic  

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2006 :  09:46:24 AM  Show Profile
Now I prefer something I have more control with so the concept of a treadle sounds great, but I am on a really tight budget, so with that said, what can you ladies reccomend for a newbie seamstress wanna be, who has only ever done things by hand, and has to stay on the low cost low end side of the market?

Is it better to buy a new low end one, or a used high end one? The way technology changes do the new ones now have the same features as the used ones from a few years back?

Ok I think thats all I have to ask for now.

thanks!

B.

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2006 :  09:51:27 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
treadles can usually be purchased from 100.00 to 300 what is your price range

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2006 :  10:22:17 AM  Show Profile
I have three machines as I used to sew professionally. I would highly recommend a low-end, brand name unless you want to get into machine embroidery. For me, I didn't and still don't, need all the fancy stitches that generally come with the higher priced machines. I bought a low-end, straight sew Husquvarna (sp?) and that little machine sewed the finest chiffon for ballerinas to heavy police jackets and it's still going strong. I sewed 3000 yards of fabric for a theater production on several occassions and all it ever needed was a little dusting out and oiling.

Di
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2006 :  10:24:00 AM  Show Profile
Bobbi -- if it were me I would take my money and invest in an older machine. A lot depends on what type of sewing you want to do. For regular sewing you can't go wrong with an old Singer. The older machines are just made better, made of metal, and if taken care of properly will last a lifetime. You could probably get a good one for between $100 and $200. And there are lots of auctions on Ebay where you can get the attachments for the older machines too.

"But as for me & my house we will serve the LORD!" Joshua 24:15

Lotion bars, linen water & more in my online shop! http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2006 :  10:36:53 AM  Show Profile
I don't have a treadle. Someday, I'll get one though. I do have a 1930 electrified treadle that I need to get refurbished. It could easily be converted back to being a treadle though.

Anyway, I've sewn with many different brands of newer machines. I've bought new and used.

New: White rotary, Kenmore made by Janome, Brother, Singer quilter.
Used: Bernette serger by Bernina

I still have all of these machines. The White is over 30 years old and has seen better days. I am currently sewing on my Kenmore (made by Janome....that is why I bought it.) I found it on clearance...it was a floor model...regularly 799.00 got it for 299.00.....fabulous deal as far as I am concerned....best machine I've ever used. (because it is a Janome) My Brother was purchased at Wal-mart on sale for 179.00.....Not happy with it at all...runs rough, no service, jams easily and gets out of adjustment way too easy. (Many girls I know love their Brother machines.) I just got a lemon. The Singer, I got on clearanc at Wal-Mart....display model. It was a 399.00 retail, I got it for 89.00. I know the fabric ladies pretty well and they found this lost in the back room and needed to clear it out....great deal. Runs really well. I bought this one for my daughters to learn on. It sews really smooth (it is a electronic) and goes through ANYTHING. It went through 8 layers of denim with a denim sharp needle like a hot knife through butter. I guess that is why it is a quilter machine. Solid metal inner workings.

My serger is a Bernette. I bought it for 349.00 a few years ago...used. The new models go for around 800 to 1000 dollars. I LOVE my serger, but for my next one I will get a Husquvarna flat fell serger/seamer. I want to do some flat stretch seaming...making t-shirts and things like that.

Now my recomendations. If you are going to do some basic sewing. A straight stitch with a zig-zag is all that you really need. A one step, built in button holer is VERY nice to have too (I would not buy a machine without a button holer.) I have used multistep button holers and they are OK too...cheaper than one steps. Janome has a low end machine with the basic stitches for less than $100. I have not sewn on it, but it would give it a try. Ask if you can run some fabric through any machine before you buy it. If they won't let you, then go somewhere else. Take different fabrics with you.....light weight, stretch, bulky, denim, cotton etc. See how they run. I also recommend a drop in bobbin, rather than a front loading bobbin. Much easier. I've used both and prefer drop in bobbins. Make sure it also has a light so you can see the stitches.

New verses used. I would buy either as long as it works and is a great price! A sewing machine tune up is around $50 here and that will get a good machine running great.

I hope this helps a little bit.

A treadle is very nice and gives such a really nice look, especially if you want to do vintage sewing, but the newer machines can give such a nice look too. Just don't use the basting stitches for top stitching. Stay to your smaller stitches....around a 2.0 to 2.5mm length.

Just my opinions....Aunt George
Go to Top of Page

lovejanet
True Blue Farmgirl

97 Posts

Janet
La Canada California
USA
97 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2006 :  11:14:17 AM  Show Profile
hello, my first grown up machine i got about 8 years ago, from Sears. it's a kenmore. i really like it! nothing fancy just regular straight stitches and zig zag. i am afraid to try button holes or zippers. maybe one day.
since we are on the subject of sewing machines, does anyone know of one that does ruffles? that would really be nice!
thanks, happy fourth!

love, janet
http://www.lovejanet.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2006 :  11:31:37 AM  Show Profile
Oh wow.. I was looking online and was finding treadles for like 1000.00 + but I must have been lookin in the wrong places! I am not up for vintage sewing at this stage in the game, I'm too new for anything fancy..

I mostly want to start fooling around with aprons, turning some too small jeans into skirts..
I could recycle a ton of baby clothes doing that too! I'd like to try making a very simple soft snuggly quilt out of old recieving blankets that the girls had as babies, try my hand at some curtains, and I think I'll have an easier time with the rag doll pattern I got from Frannie.. I am ok at hand stitching, but with me having to get up every few seconds and tend to the girls, It's just not as productive as getting a bunch of stitches out of the way in one straight shot.

I am looking to spend around 100.00... it's nice to have some ideas of what to go off of.. before I wasn't entirely sure what was most important for a beginner so I appriciate your all your input very much.

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2006 :  1:01:04 PM  Show Profile
I agree with Diane (daisyfarm) Invest in a good brand low end if you are a beginner. Husquvarna, New Home, Janome or Kenmore (ones made by Janome only) You can get one for around $100. Stay away from the Brothers (again just my opinion...from one bad experience) I saw a Janome at Hancock Fabrics for around $89. Not the mini-Janome for $59. Basic stitches with a zig zag sounds like what you need. You could always check ebay and freecycle in your area. You have to be really fast on freecycle. Also check your local Good Will or Salvation army. Never know what you might find there.

Georgann
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2006 :  8:26:03 PM  Show Profile
Bobbi,
I ocassionally see nice older machines at our local thrift stores in the $20-$30 range. Church resale shops get them donated fairly often. Maybe you could get aquainted with the ladies there & ask them to let you know what comes in. Sometimes they are good enough to hold things for me until I stop in. Look for something basic that still has the instruction booklet with it.

I sew on a very basic singer machine. I've had it for years. It does the job well. My MIL has a fancy machine (in the $3000 range) & there is no comparison. My goodness, sewing on hers is a dream! One day maybe! :)

Good luck with your search!
Rhonda

...and I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance, even if I'm the only one!
Go to Top of Page

theoanne
True Blue Farmgirl

282 Posts

teddie
CARROLLTON GA
282 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2006 :  06:55:06 AM  Show Profile
Hi Bobbi,
I have sevral machine experiences. I grew up with grandma and Mom always having singers. they were basic machines and did well. My first new machine was a Kenmore ( now 30 yrs old) I loved this machine. I oiled and cleaned as recommended and only had to take it twice for repairs. Once lightning hit and fried the peddle and the other time it got knocked off the table onto the cement floor.( not good) It's still going great and I actually prefer it for my bulkier heavier fabrics. This machine sewed all the clothes for me, and 4 boys for over 20 yrs. My 'newest' machine is a Pfaff embroidery machine. About 10 yrs old. No softwear just the machine. This was a "guilt" present from my ex DH ( D= dumb) It was in the 3000.00 range. I am still learning what it does. Have used some of the stitches but am not sure I'll ever use it all. I enjoy it but probably would not have bought it myself due to the price. I got rid of him in the divorce and kept the machine. This was more than a fair trade :)
I think a basic machine with zig-zag and buttonholer would be a good place to start. Not sure if I would by used unless I knew that it worked well. You could get into more problems. I think walmart has some good beginner machines. Pesonally to start I'd look for a singer or brother and start there. You can always trade up at a later date. Also try walmart.com sometimes they have better prices.

Good luck and enjoy stitching!!!
Teddie
Go to Top of Page

Audrey D Abbott
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

Audrey
Williamsport IN
USA
34 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2006 :  04:02:09 AM  Show Profile
Just my 2 cents. Stay away from Singer. They are no longer the same company as years past. When I was doing some shopping a couple of years ago, this was the same advice I received again and again.

At the time I was looking, I was considering a Featherweight. (Old Singer!) DH did some perusing on his own and came up with a great little basic machine - Janome Gem. It has never missed a stitch and was under $300. I also have a Singer from the 80's. The repairman told me when the motor goes, it's gone. Can't be replaced. And I have a long arm Viking and a serger. Good luck in your search. Two features I would make sure and seek are the selective needle up/down button and easy bobbin winding.
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2006 :  06:48:44 AM  Show Profile
I enjoy and appreciate the combined knowledge and wisdom in this thread. I have a question about Kenmore and the actual manufacturer, as I have an almost 30 year old myself. How do you find out who made it? Is there somewhere on the machine itself that tells you? I've never seen a thing.
Thanks,
Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2006 :  06:11:51 AM  Show Profile
Suprise suprise!! My husband ad mother in law were talking about my desire to whip out a stitch or two and I guess I am getting a machine after all! It turned out that it is a Singer but it was the best one in the price range as far as features go. I get 16 stitches which isn't much compaired to the other machines we saw, but it's 16 more than I am used to, and my mother in law sews a lot and assured me that it would be a great little machine for the kinds of things I will be doing. These are soome of the other specs:
Drop feed
Needle threader
Free arm with accessory storage
Easy bobbin winding
Horizontal threading
Includes 4 snap on feet

Sewing Machine Type: Manual

Stitch Function Count: 16

Auto Buttonholer: Yes

Embroidery: No

Built-in Stitches: 16

Auto Needle Threader: Yes

Drop-in Bobbin: Yes

Prtty basic but I'm still excited to get it, especially after I thought I wasn't going to get one for while.

Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2006 :  10:14:30 AM  Show Profile
I hope the Singer works out for you. Personally, I'm with Audrey and I wouldn't have a Singer machine even if it were free because it is just not worth the frustration they cause. I've owned two and both were a nightmare and pretty much the reason I never really learned to sew (I spent more time taking stuff apart due to the tension problems Singers have become known for than actually getting anything put together). I have a HuskyStar now and I love it. It's very basic and very solid. The HuskyStar 207 is around $200 and can be traded up later if you decide you need more options.

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority." -E. B. White

http://www.betweenthecities.com/blog/ljr/
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2006 :  10:22:29 AM  Show Profile
You people are going to laugh at me.. just talked to my mom who deals in estate sales and whatnot, and she just came into 3 older machines 1 of which looks like it's never been taken from the box.. she didn't have time to tell me what brands they are or any details, but I just went and cancelled my order for my new one and am going to take my chances with the older unused one.. I'll le you know whatever I end up with..

I'm really NOT flaky I just sound that way ;)

Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2006 :  2:13:20 PM  Show Profile
Ok I have just come home from visiting my mom and she sent me home with a Singer Stylist that is as old as I am. I haven't had time to fiddle with it, but it is a pretty heavy duty machine! She had the manual and I also got a nice cabinet with it!
Wish me luck!

B.

Edited by - Whimsy_girl on Jul 28 2006 2:15:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2006 :  09:27:19 AM  Show Profile
Good Luck, Bobbi! Sounds like you've been blessed. ;) Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic trying to learn about sewing machines Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page