Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Weather Report
 heat, humidity, and mosquitoes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Weather Report: Previous Topic heat, humidity, and mosquitoes Next Topic  

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2011 :  07:11:47 AM  Show Profile
Our temperatures are going back up around here, and the humidity is killing off some of my garden. The mosquitoes are horrible this year as well. I am attacked the minute I hang laundry out. Anyone else getting so much heat and humidity this summer?

Farmgirl #800
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2011 :  12:26:48 PM  Show Profile
It's so hot and humid here in Illinois that the last time I mowed my yard, even my pants were soaked in sweat. I felt like a sponge.
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2011 :  12:41:23 PM  Show Profile
Yes here in MN it is a nasty year for the heat, humidity, and mosquitoes. We normally go out swimming in the creek this time of year but had to give that up in July when the mosquitoes got so bad. I swear you can hear them laugh with any bug repellant trick you try. Sometimes I think they just bite harder. :) I can't remember a year in recent memory when the bugs have been this bad. My garden is toast too. It got too hot too fast. And that NEVER happens in MN!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2011 :  4:31:37 PM  Show Profile
I have to say that here, in NJ, it has been hot, humid and I think the mosquito has become our state bird! It doesn't matter what time of the day it is. They used to only come out in the evening but now - anytime of the day is up for grabs. I actually saw the Mosquito Commission truck driving around the neighborhood - someone must have called and told them how bad it was!

~ Elaine
Farmgirl sister #2822

"Find yourself a cup of tea; the teapot is behind you. Now tell me about hundreds of things." ~Saki

http://embchicken.blogspot.com
http://gusandtrudy.blogspot.com
http://embchicken-thechubbychicken.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2011 :  05:27:56 AM  Show Profile
You girls all sound like you like here in Florida instead of states up north!!!! Hot, humid, mosquitoes is just a way of life down here from June- early October!! UGH, I sympathize with you because it makes being outside impossible and sort of dangerous because mosquitoes carry West Nile disease and various forms of enchephalitis. The city has to routinely send spray trucks around to keep the mosquito populations down from all of the standing water from the frequent showers. The first settlers to Florida were killed off by yellow fever from the mosquitoes. While I am ranting on, have others of you had an awful time controlling fleas with what is available? Due to the long hot season, the fleas are about immune to everything known to use this summer . It is a huge problem in addition to the mosquitoes!! And forget gardens right now- too humid and hot!

But those of you in these northern states,help is on the way. September will start the cold fronts from upper Canada sweeping down your way to bring dry cooler days!! Just remember me all the way down here in Florida still dealing with the heat and mosquitoes long after you have opened the windows and put the firts pot of chili on the stove!

Winnie #3109

Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2011 :  06:32:45 AM  Show Profile
For flea control, we put apple cider vinegar in our pets water bowl. It's worked great. For ticks, we use a natural oil mixture and rub it on their fur. We may go buy guinea hens for tick control also. Not sure yet.

We got another thunderstorm and now have so much moisture in the garden, we are battling mold. I keep picking them off, but the sun never has time to dry it out (too much humidity).

Farmgirl #800
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2011 :  11:13:27 AM  Show Profile
We have the heat, humidity and mosquitoes here in Louisiana also. There is a chance of rain today which may cool things down.
I'm ready for some cool weather.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4741 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4741 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2011 :  2:01:37 PM  Show Profile
Heat, humidity, mosquitoes, we have it all here just southwest of Chicago. This summer has really been awful. I keep praying for an early autumn. I can't wait to bring out my glass pumpkins and fall decorations!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2011 :  2:11:34 PM  Show Profile
Dawn:
Yes! to the pumpkins and fall decorations. I'm even waiting for the leaves to fall. The summer started off not too hot, but now,!!!!!!!!!!!!! So HOT!!!!!
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2011 :  4:44:35 PM  Show Profile
Yes to getting on with an early fall!!!! And please blow those cooler winds down here to us in the south because we need it. Usually all of the cool fronts that make it south stop at the Florida/ Georgia border. We stay hot, and everyone gets a cool break!! I can't wait to get all of my fall decorations out too. Even though we stay hot and humid, I still decorate as if we were experiencing fall like the rest of the states further north. Check out my apple tree that I put up today. It is listed as my tiny apple tree under A Farm of My Own section. Talk about a dreamer?? that is this Farm Girl 100%! I also recently purchased a grain grinder so today I tried out my Mom's pumpkin yeast bread using my stone ground wheat and it turned out wonderful!! I sure wish she was still here to call and tell her that her recipe is even better with home ground flour!! Then, I like to mix coffees together to create my own blends and I came up with "Warm Apple Pie" which is a blend of Italian Roast, Regular, French Vanilla, and Cinnamon Spice. It came out really good and was great with the hot bread with apple butter. Can you tell I have apples on the brain today????

Livin in Florida but dreamin I lived where the apples hang heavy on the trees and the cooler breezes blow!!

Winnie #3109

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2011 :  5:56:30 PM  Show Profile
Apples are good!!!! LOL.
Nice picture.
Now I am hungry for a good apple.
Marly

Go to Top of Page
  Weather Report: Previous Topic heat, humidity, and mosquitoes Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page