Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  10:34:23 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I don't seem to have a knack for it. Mine are turning out all...twisty. Any ideas what I could be doing wrong? Everyting else in my garden is going nuts! My pumpkin plants are hip high, my corn is tassled. My cabbage has heads about the size of soft balls already, and my swiss chard is growing so fast I can't keep up! As soon as my tomatoes turn red I will be swimming in tomato sauce. I must have about 200 on the plants...

So why do my peppers hate me?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  2:37:35 PM  Show Profile
Alee - one of my gardening books suggests epsom salts for your peppers because they crave magnesium. As soon as they start to flower, you are supposed to spray the leaves with a water and epsom salt solution, and then you should get plenty of peppers coming in in no time. I also know some people who sprinkle it in the dirt around the plants to make them stronger. Apparently, you can do both of these things to enhance your tomatoe's growth as well. Hope that helps a little! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

www.papercraftingwithnini.myctmh.com

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  3:27:48 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I will have to try that. I suspect it has something to do with my irregular wattering pattern too. ;) I need to be better about that or buy a timer for my hose!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

camiesmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Anne Jeannette
Stagecoach NV
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  7:10:22 PM  Show Profile  Send camiesmommy a Yahoo! Message
Alee, we have never had luck with ours either. I too just read about the epsom salt and also that they don't like to be over watered. They are also picky about soil ph. They like moderately acid soil with a ph of 5.5 to 6.8. We bought a ph meter. We planted late due to weather, so my entire garden is really just starting to blossom. We planted established plants made sure the ph was right and don't over water. Haven't seen any blossoms yet, but my plants are really healthy this year.

A.J.

Work is love made visible. ~ Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  8:37:09 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
It seems like they like to flower, but once the fruit sets it grows more like banana pepper and gets all twisty looking.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

upnorthgirl
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Sharon
St. Germain WI
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2011 :  6:19:16 PM  Show Profile  Send upnorthgirl a Yahoo! Message
I have never heard of epsom salts, will have to try this as I have some under the sink, besides tomatos, what else can you use this on? My tomatoes are growing like gangbusters, but my green peppers are few and far between. Thanks for the info:)

Sharon

Farmgirl Sister #3239
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Growing green peppers- Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page