Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Thank you, Farmgirls! Thank you!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Thank you, Farmgirls! Thank you!!! Next Topic  

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2011 :  08:04:46 AM  Show Profile
I just want to thank all of you for all your posts, your advice and sharing of information concerning our gardens. This morning I went out to soak in all of the bright green loveliness of life filling my small plots, the whole time thinking, "Thank you, Farmgirls!" I have never in my life had a garden flourish like this. I read all of your posts, usually taking mental and handwritten notes, and try to apply all of the Farmgirl gardening wisdom I have soaked up. This morning, for the VERY first time in my life, I harvested turnips!!! TURNIPS! You have no idea what a coup that is for me! AND I see beets are starting to burgeon out there, too - I've never been able to grow beets. Usually by this time, my garden is looking pretty good, but this year it looks healthier than it ever has - all organic, all using farmgirl methods for cultivating, nurturing and protecting my plants! I feel like "Mother Earth" this year, instead of the "Al Capone of Green Thumbs!" LOL! But man, do I like how this feels! What is very exciting to me, too, is that all of you have not only shared gardening wisdom, but also your great food preservation ideas and recipes. I stand outside every morning, planning and hoping and praying, and just smiling because I've got my wonderful Farmgirls sisters who truly have made this all possible! God bless you, every one!!!

I have to share a funny story, too. Usually I go out early in the morning with my faithful old girl, Pawlee, to inspect the crops. Each morning, we are engulfed in a magial morning-song of early birds who have risen to glean my garden for breakfast. They are doing a wonderful job of helping with pests - it's amazing! And because I've gone all organic, this year we have the most amazing birds flitting through the yard - some we've never seen before. As a matter of fact, my 14-year-old son, who really has no interest in my endeavor, has called me to the door or window a few times to enjoy the new birds he sees. We have a whole bunch of brightly colored Cardinals and Blue Jays that we've NEVER seen before - it's quite a dazzling array of color to behold! It truly seems enchanted - it's like a dream!

Anyhow, I digress...

This morning my hubby was up bright and early with me, so instead of my usual tour, I brought out some freshly made coffee and delicious biscotti purchased from the local berry farm yesterday. After we enjoyed the sights and sounds - and flavors - of our peaceful, happy little slice of Heaven, he proceeded to climb up onto the rim of the pool to vaccuum. The birds slowly started to come around to the fence and power lines, looking down at him and sending out their territorial calls. He was totally oblivious, but I just watched and listened. They were telling him to leave! They couldn't get into the garden while this monstrosity of a man was circling the rim of the pool, and they were hungry! Suddenly a small group of birds came from nowhere, loudly circling above him, again, totally going unnoticed by the focused man toiling with the vaccuum. I started to laugh - they really wanted him to move! The noise didn't sound much like music anymore, either; it was more like a cacophony of birdly, "get out of here's!" And my husband seemed none the wiser. I called him over to the deck, absolutely hysterical with laughter. He was confused. I explained he was disturbing the peace, and should take a little break. He asked if the neighbors were complaining; he didn't think he was being loud or anything. I said no, but the birds weren't too happy - they wanted their garden breakfast. Completely dumbfounded, he looked at me with eyes of a deer caught in the headlights. He said, "Is that what all the ruckus is about? One of those crazy birds did a dive bomb toward the pool and nearly skimmed my hip as it was crossing!" We got a good laugh out of it. He decided to sit at the table with me for a minute and watch. Sure enough, the birds fled to the coolness of the wet mud under the greenery. Within a few minutes, they were all gone, and peace ensued. He was absolutely amazed. I just chuckled. When he resumed his pool-cleaning efforts, nary a bird was to be seen or heard. My city boy - he's learning, slow but sure! LOL! Nature! What a thing!

'Just want to share three really neat things with you about protecting your garden:

1) Unbleached white flour around the base of your plants will protect them from slugs. The flour gets on their "skin" and they suffocate. It's amazing.

2) Mint cuttings are a great pest deterrant when used as a mulch around your brassicas keep the pests away.

3) Plant two or three radishes in your squash and melon hills. Don't pick them all season - just leave them in and let them go to seed. Keeps squash bugs and others away.

Well, that's my post for today. Thank you SO much again for all your help and sharing. Please say a little prayer that all continues to go well for the rest of the summer... AND that I am able to preserve the harvest with as much joy and farmgirl gusto as all of you!

Thanks and blessings to all of you for your inspiration and support! You are the BEST!!!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

www.papercraftingwithnini.myctmh.com

Caron
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

Caron
Orange Texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2011 :  2:22:28 PM  Show Profile
Nini, I really enjoyed your post. And thanks for the tip about slugs. We are having a problem with them not only in the garden, but they seem to love our pet bowls and slime them up each night. I'm going to try the flour suggestion around the bowls too!

Caron

Happy Farmgirl Sister #254

"An Apron:Its strings gently tug at us, tenderly, softly calling us to turn back to the old ways".-Above Rubies Magazine
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2011 :  3:49:53 PM  Show Profile
Nini~ I loved your post. Thank you for all the tips. The flour one I am going to try!

~ Elaine
Farmgirl sister #2822

"Find yourself a cup of tea; the teapot is behind you. Now tell me about hundreds of things." ~Saki

http://embchicken.blogspot.com

http://gusandtrudy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2011 :  3:58:33 PM  Show Profile
Nini:
Nice post! Thanks. I'll try the flour tip for the slugs. Those things are taking over the garden. I spend hours picking them out of the garden.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2011 :  4:46:54 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Nini! I got that really good "Yeh" I know that feeling as you described going out in the mornings, and a good chuckle about the man and the birds.
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2011 :  5:47:29 PM  Show Profile
Nini...delightful post about your garden, the birds and your DH.
We learn so much from one another don't we? Farmgirls are the BEST.

hugs,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com
http://pegsmiles7.wordpress.com

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2011 :  8:33:14 PM  Show Profile
Nothing gets me off to a productive day quite like my morning garden survey/watering.

I echo all your feelings Nini, I'm blown away by the miracle of the vegetable garden, and I know I would not have done so much without the "sweating and sunburns" thread to cheer me on!

DH and I are planning to double our current plot, AND add some new patches and rows for specific things next year, I can't even believe how much joy getting in the dirt and growing food gives me.

"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2011 :  07:11:46 AM  Show Profile
Thank You Nini for your post. It is amazing how much joy we get from something so simple as our gardens. I feel like it just puts everything in life in perspective- and really reminds you to slow down (in a good way!) and enjoy life's simpler pleasures.
Thanks for sharing- I think am going to try planting the radishes near my squash and my melon ( I am trying to grow canteloupe for the first time this year).
Hugs,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2011 :  07:29:04 AM  Show Profile
Nini I love your posts! Thank YOU for all you contibute on here! :)

Liz
Farmgirl #1947
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2011 :  5:06:47 PM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for the post and the great tips! I am definitely going to try the mint thingy next year, the aphids got half my cabbages this year!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977
http://lazyjbarcfarm.blogspot.com/
www.calicocandy.etsy.com
http://stores.countrycents.com/StoreFront.bok?affiliate_no=6
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

upnorthgirl
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Sharon
St. Germain WI
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2011 :  6:41:07 PM  Show Profile  Send upnorthgirl a Yahoo! Message
Nini,
I just read your wonderful post! How right you are, I too am amazed the wonder of my garden. I would rather sleep between the rows on some night if I could!! There are times during the day I tend to wander in to see of there is anything I might have missed growing on my previous "rounds" several hours earlier! Also thank you for the neat ideas, I too will have to try the flour idea.
Thanks again for all you contribute! I agree with Peggy, Farmgirls are the BEST!!!

Sharon

Farmgirl Sister #3239
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Thank you, Farmgirls! Thank you!!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page