Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  06:57:15 AM  Show Profile
I planted spaghetti squash for the first time this year and wondered if there is a way to preserve it for future use. I am getting much more than we can eat immediately.

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  08:34:04 AM  Show Profile
I wish I could say the same thing! Our spaghetti squash started out great, and then the plants turned yellow and wilty. Out of four plants, I'm getting a total of 4 squash!!
Just make sure it is cured well on the vine before you harvest it. Don't pluck it when it is green. Once it turns a nice yellow color then you can harvest it and it should keep in a nice, cool, dark place for a good long time.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
A Beehive is the ultimate Home Sweet Home
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  4:06:43 PM  Show Profile
I don't have a root cellar or pace for storage other than our freezer. I cooked mine and took a fork to it and after it was cooled I placed it in freezer bags and froze it. I haven't had any problems with it and it tastes just as good to me :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  7:49:11 PM  Show Profile
Mine kept nicely all fall and winter in my basement, dry and cool there. I was still eatin them in February!

By the way, try them with chili on them! I bake them till nearly done, spoon chili in them for the last 15 minutes or so, then top with a little shredded cheese for last 5 minutes or so. Yummy!!!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2011 :  07:47:44 AM  Show Profile
You don't need a root cellar for winter squash. It actually handles warmer temps better. Several books just say to put it on your counter. I stashed my spaghetti squash under the stairs and still have some from last year! Yup it's time to clean it out. Too hot they will turn on you so you don't want them in direct sun or in your kitchen if you keep your house very warm through the winter but they are a bit forgiving. If yours are ready now find a dark place along the north side of the house to stash them. Don't freeze!! That doesn't work.

Good luck,
Laurie

http://www.inntheorchardbnb.com/
Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
True Blue Farmgirl

70 Posts

Amy
WI
USA
70 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2011 :  8:14:20 PM  Show Profile
we just stored our on a shelf in the basement. they kept just fine all winter.

I dont' know if we'll have a good crop this year or not, last year we got only 1 squash!
Go to Top of Page

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2011 :  10:39:18 AM  Show Profile
Thank you to everyone! I had no idea I could just store them. Right now I only have about 6 off of 3 vines, but it looks like more are to come.
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2011 :  2:32:39 PM  Show Profile
I'm surprised you are already harvesting. I leave mine until nearly Oct or close to first frost. I don't know if there is a difference in shelf life if you leave them or not. I cut them off the stem and leave them a few days in the field before picking them up and then into storage.

Laurie

Go to Top of Page

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2011 :  06:10:15 AM  Show Profile
I can't thank you all enough. My vines were dead so I picked what was left. Is it typical to get so few. I had three plants and got 3 large squash and three about the size of an overgrown baseball.
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2011 :  07:05:10 AM  Show Profile
not usually. you will get more. It may just be your conditions this year. It's been odd all around.

Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3319 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3319 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2011 :  08:19:53 AM  Show Profile
My whole squash bed is a disaster. Within days the plants got all wilty and dead looking I have exactly one miniature pumpkin, 3 spaghetti squash, 2 yellow crookneck and one miserable little gourd.

I can't figure out what happened. I still have huge blossoms everywhere and I do have bees pollinating, but practically no real amount of squash.

Should I leave the spagh squash on the vine until yellow or just go ahead and clean out the messy beds?

Melody
Farmgirl #525
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Spaghetti Squash Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page