Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Free Horses in OK - never mind
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Free Horses in OK - never mind Next Topic  

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2011 :  1:51:54 PM  Show Profile
Please accept my apologies, thought it was legit and from a reliable source, apparently, not so.

I have a friend that passed this on to me, don't know anything about this except the following below-check out at your own risk!

FYI... In Oklahoma: FREE HORSES!!! 52 thoroughbred horses need homes. Will go to Sugarcreek this Sat. for slaughter. Gentleman died. His son wants nothing to do with them. Most broodmares are broke and some are in foal. Weanlings, yearlings, 2 yrs and 3 yrs old most are gelded. Friend of the deceased is trying to find homes. 440-463-4288 Barnesville. Please copy and paste this if you have horse connections.

Playing in the Sonshine

Edited by - sonshine4u on Aug 04 2011 4:35:49 PM

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2011 :  2:23:05 PM  Show Profile
it is really sad what is happening to so many horses due to un-forseen problems, i.e., the economy, death, etc...there are many horses on a weekly basis here also for free, the rescues are full, and/or not getting enough donations in order to feed/care for them all, so they are being humanly euthanized, sent up the the big cat breeding facility to be put down and used for meat, turned lose to cause traffic wreaks, and let just starve to death in back pastures...it is sad, sad, sad, but people need to quit breeding when there are so many good horses out there for little or no purchase cost, and maybe, just maybe this over population will become a thing of the past...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2011 :  3:01:16 PM  Show Profile
Have you or someone you know confirmed the legitimacy of that April? A lot of times people think a hoax like that is funny on the people is pranks, and it's just plain harassment to the person with the phone number if it's untrue.

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2011 :  4:32:37 PM  Show Profile
Apparently it was a hoax, sorry for the tizzy. I usually don't spread these things, but I thought my friend got it from a reliable source. I truly apologize.

Playing in the Sonshine
Go to Top of Page

adnama
True Blue Farmgirl

171 Posts

inge
fargo north dakota
USA
171 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2011 :  4:39:05 PM  Show Profile
Don't apologize, you shed light on a subject that I was unaware of, i had talked to my nephew and he also confirmed that many horses are discarded once the cost and maintence is more than the owner forsaw. I never was aware of that, for other animals yes, but I thought horse owners were more noble??, that might not be the right word, I hope you are aware of what I mean.
Go to Top of Page

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2011 :  4:41:35 PM  Show Profile
Totally, I thought if you were a horse owner you'd want the best for your animals. It is sad.

Playing in the Sonshine

Edited by - sonshine4u on Aug 04 2011 4:42:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  12:51:19 PM  Show Profile
Some people turn them loose out west and assume they will be able to go wild without a hitch >_< I've heard from a lot of ranchers that when they go out to check their open range horse herd they often find extras that no neighbors are missing.

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  1:42:31 PM  Show Profile
Whether this article is accurate or not, there is a HUGE problem with that very thing here in KY. Especially since the horse slaughter ban. Whether you agree with it or not, the banning of slaughter HAS had an impact. If any of you know of horses in need in KY, let me know.

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  7:32:04 PM  Show Profile
I got this from reliable sources back in March or so, and then again recently. Always from people I know or on a yahoo equestrian group/ a club I'm in. I guess this time around, it is on Snopes.
I was fostering a pony for a rescue. An abuse case , then pulled from the kill pen. She became mine when I called to check in and they said they figured I was keeping her since they had not heard anything from me recently!!
A lot of horses here in Texas are suffering in the drought. We have always boarded or bought hay, so hay is always part of the budget. We really believe in giving lifetime homes, and so far, even in tough times, we have hung in there. Not getting on a bandwagon here, just proud to have held the line , so far!
Mary LD

Haflingers- You can't have just one!
( I'm just one short of a drill team!)
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Free Horses in OK - never mind Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page