sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  10:01:48 AM  Show Profile
well it is huge. it is now worse since we had vet cut it off. it is a heifer calf it is on her side big as a fist but flat out and corded. AWEFUL.i hate it. what can i do. they say its auto immune function. she was shorted minerals last spring. cows were not here so minerals were not kept plentiful. she does now and the vet. its bigger. ruins her looks totally. she is a milker belted cross with dexter white park. any ideas i am just learning this one. thanks happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4267 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4267 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2011 :  04:15:37 AM  Show Profile
You can cut off warts, you can try treating them, but they almost always go away. It seems at a certain age they will come down with them. They have them for a while, and finally they will fall off. There is a vaccine for warts, but never tried it.
We have used blueing, when cows get them on their teats. It works well.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2011 :  06:49:57 AM  Show Profile
hi michele, thanks for the reply it is a HUGE wart with thread like roots that are thick and cord like. i read on line last night more about them. i have blueing in the laundry. do i just rub it on there? thanks sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2011 :  09:44:59 AM  Show Profile
Hi, sherrye. Bummer about your cow. I'm sure that she is lovely otherwise.

Not the same species, but several years ago my horse got warts near his nostril. I thought they were ugly. Probably no one else noticed them because they were dark grey and his nose is black. Eventually they just went away. I can't remember how long it took.

I, too, have heard that if you cut them off that they can grow back. I have also heard that if you make them bleed, the body will attack them and they will go away.

When Sailor (same horse) later got a sarcoid above his eye, the vet gave me some stuff--looked like molasses (sp?) with a lot of salt mixed in. That texture and thickness. I was to put it on the growth and it would fall off in three days. I remember after applying it bare-fingered wondering if now my finger would fall off!!! (It didn't.) Exterra--I remembered the name. Okay, I disbelieved him but sure enough by the third day it was GONE. Wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it. He called it "witch's brew" I guess because of how it worked. So now, if you look close, Sailor has a slight difference in his skin above his eye.

I have also used it on a big growth on the back of a Golden Retriever. It seemed to lessen the size but it didn't go completely away. The growth was about the size of a quarter and raised up about 3/4" above his back and devoid of hair. Didn't bother him; just looked icky.

Maybe ask your vet about Exterra. Wouldn't hurt. Good luck. I hope you find something that works.

The trail is the thing.... Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4267 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4267 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2011 :  2:05:01 PM  Show Profile
I would just dab some blueing on the wart, if it is that big though, it probely won't help. Warts pretty much just run their course, and then fall off.

good luck
Michele
Go to Top of Page

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2011 :  09:28:23 AM  Show Profile
Sherrye--what ever happened with the warts?

The trail is the thing.... Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2011 :  09:40:38 AM  Show Profile
she still has them. they are bigger. it is gross. i am going to vaccinate the herd against it. they say she will outgrow it. she is not even marketable right now. do you have any ideas for food for my cow? i have a post. she needs high nutrition. thanks loyce. i may try bluing, it sounds crazy but what if it was that simple. sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2011 :  1:00:40 PM  Show Profile
warts are caused by a herpes virus, it is contagious, so be very careful that your whole herd does not end up with it...alot of times these warts turn cancerous, so keep a close eye on it, and good luck to you...

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2011 :  3:17:32 PM  Show Profile
well it sure could be cancerous on freckles. i thought i would call the cow college. sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2011 :  07:34:55 AM  Show Profile
since michele told me about the bluing we have been doing it. i have applied bluing 6 times. our neighbors laugh when they see a blue cow. freckles is white and a little black. so when we squirt her with the bluing, she is a blue cow.LOL well i am pleased to report they are almost gone. honestly from 4 inches across and 7 inches long and growing to almost dried up. i squirted all the little ones that were all up and down her neck. now all these warts are dead or almost dead. i thank you from the bottom of my heart. she is such a cute heifer calf. now everyone will see that instead of the HUGE wart hanging off her neck. i am wondering if bluing is copper ground up and in water? its the same color as the bluing i used. anyway i am here to say THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH and freckles really says THANK YOU. michele so many times you have been there and helped me. so thanks so much. i am going to finish her halter and lead training as soon as they are gone. i dont want to touch them. they are dry flesh hanging there. so wont be long. i am going to sell her. she will make a fine family cow for milk or beef. i will try to post a pic. its an older photo. she is old enough to breed now. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4267 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4267 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2011 :  04:55:55 AM  Show Profile
Your welcome Sherrye. I figured a bottle of blueing don't cost much, and it won't hurt the cow to try it. The warts will just come off on their own eventually, but they sure can be ugly. Good luck with the training.
The old remedies sometimes work !
Michele
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2011 :  07:34:20 AM  Show Profile
Bluing. added to the vet remedy list.

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2011 :  2:28:16 PM  Show Profile
well it is sooo cool. i squirted maddie maes wart by her eye. i was scared i would get her eye. so the squirt went right down the middle. well 3 days later where i squirted its black and dead. so this is way wonderful for freckles. now she can have a boyfriend, get halter and lead trained and sold. happy days here. sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic warts on freckels side Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page