Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Bitten by the shabby bug...RE-model time!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Bitten by the shabby bug...RE-model time! Next Topic  

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2011 :  4:24:46 PM  Show Profile
Lately I've been down with a nasty summer cold and have been bored silly! Soooo while looking at a Flickr, I found zillions of lovely shabby-chic, shabby Victorian and shabby country pages to gaze at...

...EEK!!! now my poor little home looks so dreary and dark! I want to run out and buy buckets of country cream paint and tear out the ugly hanging shelves and do a major do-over! lol!

I'm now looking through all of the lovely MJF magazines that I have and making lists of ideas! =P
My poor man is just going to shake his head and walk away!
I do so love inspiration and the lovely energy and lightness of spirit that it brings

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2011 :  4:43:31 PM  Show Profile
Oh! I got bit by that bug before...have fun shabbying up your house. Cream paint can do wonders for dark rooms.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I ask not for a larger garden, but for finer seeds.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

nabrown42
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Nancy
Caneyville KY
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2011 :  6:09:12 PM  Show Profile
Don't forget a touch of pink. No matter how small, pink makes me smile. Our house in KY is a guy place, all dark and manly so I told dh we could buy it only if he built me my own little house, one room only with a tiny porch. It will be so girly no man in his right mind will dare cross the threshhold. White, pink, aqua, ruffles, violets, pillows, stacks of books, milk glass, tea cups, all the girly shabby things I adore. We move next month and he's going down tomorrow for a week or two to get things going on my little piece of heaven. When you get done shabbying up your place send pictures and when my room is built and furnished, I'll post pictures, too.

Nancy B.

"I've wept in the night for the shortness of sight that to someone's needs I've been blind; but I've yet to feel a twinge of regret for being a little too kind."
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2011 :  6:12:45 PM  Show Profile
I love remodeling and changing colors. Inspiration is about the only good thing when you're sick. Gives you just enough time to be disgusted with your walls and figure out how to change things. Have fun with your project.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2011 :  7:59:54 PM  Show Profile
Annika do you get the country sampler magazine?There is a 40s bed in this issue painted a really pretty green, I love it, You can pick those beds up around here for 20 30 dollars.. I still have my old bedroom suit we bought used almost 50 years ago, I have it painted white, good luck and have fun Miss Wilma

Farm Girl #96

http://www.picturetrail.com/misswilmasplace

http://misswilma.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Hope Floats
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Texas
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2011 :  9:51:02 PM  Show Profile
Annika, I love Shabby Chic too.....google "Shabby Chic Blogs" for more inspiration. I hope your feeling better soon!
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2011 :  10:37:15 PM  Show Profile
Thank you ladies! Miss Wilma it is so good to see your post =) I haven't been on the forum a lot due to illness, but I've thought of you often.

I'm going to have to go and find the country sampler now! I have a really lovely black iron bed, but I am going to paint the master bedroom a soft sage green I think. So far I'm planning to use the cream paint color to tie the house together. I always think that remodeling changes the energy of a room or home. You get so used to a room being always the same and you stop actually seeing it.

Well the idea of giving my little home a make over has made me feel a bunch better, I just need to beat this darned cold and I'll get to work!

I think I "need" to go antique shopping in the near future

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9388 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9388 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2011 :  04:51:48 AM  Show Profile
Love the cream white to lighten and cozy up the rooms. I am planning to do this to my two front rooms. We tore wallpaper out of the kitchen after installing a new big window and it inspired me to paint it cream. Gives it a farmhouse look with the oak cabinets and trim. I know it's not shabby but it was inspired. I could never do shabby chic here just would fit the house.
Nancy~
Have fun and I look forward to seeing pictures of "your" little place!

farmgirl sister#43

O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2011 :  09:13:13 AM  Show Profile
Hey Annika!

So good to see you on here! I've missed you!! Sounds like fun, remodeling and moving stuff around. Big hugs!

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

mickib
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Michele
Coeur d'Alene Idaho
267 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2011 :  11:52:34 AM  Show Profile
Nancy I agree with the pink. I painted our bedroom and one of the bathrooms pink! It's called chalk pink and it's kind of neutral. I also decreased the tint to 1/4 so it's not too intense. It makes everything so cheery. Most of the rest of our house is a really pale butter yellow which I love because it doesn't feel cold in the winter. Our rooms would seem really small and dark without the warm toned, light colored walls.
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2011 :  1:35:24 PM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness! I was googling paint colors and found these pretty milk paint colors! In the 90% mixed range, I've found my favorite mix yet. Milk paint sounds less potentially toxic than other paints, I've never worked with it, but the colors are beautiful! I'm going to drive all of you girls nuts with my shabby madness

http://www.milkpaint.com/color.html

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9388 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9388 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2011 :  3:08:41 PM  Show Profile
those colors are beautiful Annika! Never heard of milk paint.
Have fun with your re-model.

farmgirl sister#43

O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2011 :  10:16:05 PM  Show Profile
I love the shabby chic style myself. My main color is off white and decorations and other smaller items are mostly pink, off white and lilac :) , so you go girl !!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

http://pinkprincessdecorating.blogspot.com/
Almost daily updates on me, my home and my crafts

Farmgirl sister # 2410
Go to Top of Page

janiee
True Blue Farmgirl

820 Posts

Janie
Shawnee Oklahoma
USA
820 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  08:17:00 AM  Show Profile
I am with you! I have been collecting fabrics to make a tablecloth and new windows, rag rug, etc for the kitchen to go with the beautiful antique dishes I found - cream, pale pink, dark gray. I placed them on the counter (turquois from 1970) and it looked so pretty that i have included that too in the fabric selection. Once I make the above items, I want to make some wall hangings too--so excited-got to go check out the milk paint!
janiee
farmgirl #390
Go to Top of Page

nabrown42
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Nancy
Caneyville KY
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  09:06:17 AM  Show Profile
Those colors are gorgeous! I was wondering if you could add glaze to the paints since milk paint is always mat finish, as I recall.

Janiee, your color combination sounds lovely. I can't wait to see pictures from you ladies.

Nancy B.

"I've wept in the night for the shortness of sight that to someone's needs I've been blind; but I've yet to feel a twinge of regret for being a little too kind."
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Bitten by the shabby bug...RE-model time! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page