Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 I think I found my farm...Update!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic I think I found my farm...Update! Next Topic  

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3320 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3320 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2011 :  9:05:06 PM  Show Profile
Well---We met with the Realtor late yesterday afternoon to take a "look-see" and we were in the farm house for less than 5-minutes. I have never in my life seen such a horrific interior of a house. Floors were buckled, major, major water damage between floors and the bathroom oh my goodness the bathroom. We would have to bulldoze the farmhouse in and start all over. I actually overheard my DH, who was in another part of the house, exclaim something I have never in 20 years heard him say out loud-After that...I looked at the agent and said..."I guess we've seen enough." We thanked her (she was so sweet) and told her we would continue looking-

Thank you ladies for all the prayers and kind thoughts, but it wasn't meant to be. Our farm is out there waiting for us and I know it will just be a matter of time.

DH and I went exploring late this afternoon and stumbled upon a farm for sale about 17-miles from here. Ladies, I think I found my farm...

I have been searching for a smaller home for us because DD has graduated and DS will have 3 more years of school then he's done and this house we are in is just to blasted big for two soon to be empty nesters. Actually, I have been looking for a couple of years, but tonight I think I finally found it!

Six acres....I know that sounds small but the farm is surrounded on either side by huge corn fields and directly in front of the farm across the road again a huge corn field. It is so QUIET there and I felt an instant connection that I never felt when we bought this boat of a house 16 years ago. I am almost too excited. Don't want to jinx it, but I contacted the realtor via e-mail so that we may set up a "look see" next week. Please send good thoughts and prayers that everything will fall into place...I believe in the saying "You don't find your home, your home finds you." And I can't help but feel this is the way it's supposed to happen. It's kind of a scary feeling...

Have you ever looked at a place and knew you belonged there?

Melody
Farmgirl #525

Edited by - melody on Aug 02 2011 08:15:18 AM

nabrown42
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Nancy
Caneyville KY
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  02:29:16 AM  Show Profile
I know exactly what you mean. The same thing happened to us 2 years ago when on the 4th of July we noticed a little real estate office was open in KY and we asked for their current listings. As we drove off, I saw a listing for a 2 bedroom ranch with 39 acres for sale, called agent and got directions. We drove up a long tree lined driveway and turned the corner and there sat our house. We both said at the same time..."This is it. It's the house we've spent 2 years looking for!" The owner was home and it was like he knew we were meant to live there, too. The purchase process wasn't easy even though we could afford it...banks can be terrible.

Good luck with your new adventure. We'll be moving from our 5 bedroom house in the burbs in September. I hope your dream comes true.

Nancy

"I've wept in the night for the shortness of sight that to someone's needs I've been blind; but I've yet to feel a twinge of regret for being a little too kind."
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  06:18:56 AM  Show Profile
I haven't found my house yet, but I have felt the other way.

I am currnetly livin in a house that I knew the very first time I saw it that it wasn't for me. Sadly, it was my inlaws house and now I'm stuck here till who knows when. My FIL passed away 2 years ago and we had to move in to help my MIL. She isn't even able to balance her own check book and refuses to learn. She moved from her mom, who took care of everything for her because she thought she was unable, to her husband, who took care of everything because all women are unable in his book.

Now she refuses to even try to learn. She wont even learn how to mow the lawn with a ridin mower that has a forward pedal, backward pedal, key ignition, and on/off switch for the blades! It's so simple our 10y/o mows the lawn while MIL stands around watchin and whinin that she wishes she could learn to do it. It drives me nuts!!

I have always dreamed of a little farm about 10 acres or so. I could be very happy with six! I wanted gardens and a milk cow and a few chickens. I want a quiet, simple life.

I got 3.5 acres of hillside covered with what the local extension office called 'dead' soil. You till it, it washes away. You plant it, nothin grows. It won't even grow grass.

To know the joy of finding 'HOME'...I am so envious of you. Enjoy it! Enjoy every second of it!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3320 Posts

Melody
USA
3320 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  06:28:33 AM  Show Profile
Thank you ladies....I am so anxious right now. I am afraid it will go to someone else. Seems like there is always something that gets in the way.

I grew up in the Air Force; my dad put in 20-years, so we moved about every 4 years or so. And even when I graduated from high school the home I lived in was for such a short period of time 4 years again. My next home was my 1st husbands. Didn't feel this feeling. The second home my 2nd husband and I bought with the intent my three children would join us in a few short weeks. Didn't happen the kids were afraid to attend a "city" school so they decided to stay with their father. We have lived in this house for 17 years...Never got that "feeling" here. But yesterday, when we rounded that curve with corn fields on either side of us and DH said "There it is." That FEELING hit me like a cool breeze on a summer evening...complete with crickets and the scent of wild roses. I'm in LOVE!

Melody
Farmgirl #525
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  07:35:35 AM  Show Profile
On the upside, people don't buy houses as much as they used to so the competition is not as stiff as it once was.

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

nabrown42
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Nancy
Caneyville KY
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  07:44:45 AM  Show Profile
Angela,

Sounds like you need to put up some raised beds or lots of containers so that you can do some gardening with good soil. You could also start augmenting your dead soil now for planting in the future. Check out "Lasagna Gardening" from the library or order it on line. Trust me...the method works!

I hope that everyone can one day live in their "soul" house...like finding your "soul mate", there is nothing like it. I've lived in houses for the past 69 years and will soon move into my first home with my soul mate. There'll be a lot less money but so much more contentment. I can't wait!

Nancy

"I've wept in the night for the shortness of sight that to someone's needs I've been blind; but I've yet to feel a twinge of regret for being a little too kind."
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  08:44:49 AM  Show Profile
Melody, keeping my fingers crossed for you...

Angela, it sounds like your MIL is terrified of being alone, so if she does not learn to do these things, she will always have you all there, just a thought...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  09:05:35 AM  Show Profile
Melody, Crossing my fingers, toes and eyes for you and your farm! My DH and I have been looking for the last couple of years. Nothing has "spoken" to me yet. I sure hope and pray you get the one that "spoke" to you.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I ask not for a larger garden, but for finer seeds.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  09:17:11 AM  Show Profile
Melody, I hope you get your farm. We live on 6 and half acres and I love my place. I am fixing to add some pecan trees and peach trees to my ever growing garden. I have 2 cows and when Rose gives birth I will have 3. I did not keep my chickens for the time being because I am to busy with caring for my mother and handicapped sister. I have 2 dogs and is thinking on getting a third one.
Maybe in the future I will get my lambs that I am wanting. Happy Farming!!!

Seize The Day!
Dorinda
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3320 Posts

Melody
USA
3320 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  10:58:40 AM  Show Profile
Oh...I am aching to get some critters. We can't even keep chickens here in town. And, definitely I would have another dog-chickens for sure and a very large "truck" garden. I didn't notice any fruit trees and I LOVE my plum tree here so that will definitely be in the plan!

I have to stop.

Made an appointment to "look see" for Monday afternoon. So it's still available-WHEW! I'm worried about DH though he loves being in town...but he is willing to go and look inside on Monday.

I've had my fill of fire trucks, police cars, and busy traffic down our street. I long for the sounds of nature! And, PRIVACY. Our next door neighbor over the course of 7 years has eliminated in total 4 beautiful northern maple trees on his property because they were "ruining" his sidewalk. He lopped off two just last week and ripped out all his sidewalks facing our house. He wants to eliminate any grass growing in the tree lane by adding an enormous amount of cement where the trees used to be. So now, I have a perfect view of his underwear drying on his make-shift clothesline. Burns my butt someone would do that. Those trees were 70 years old...

Wow...Dorinda your place sounds WONDERFUL. I can tell by your post you are very content! And, what a lovely name for a cow Rose!

Melody
Farmgirl #525
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  3:58:43 PM  Show Profile
Play it cool Melody, play it cool! XD

If it's really meant to be it's going nowhere, and if it falls through now, it's not where you're supposed to be! Hope that's a little reassuring!
I went with ducks instead of chickens... I'm not sure why but chicken personalities didn't really appeal to me (but then I've never been very close to many chickens.) When I researched it, egg breed ducks lay more eggs per year, have a longer egg laying prime, the eggs are more valuable, and they have some unique health benefits and they're not prone to getting "egg bound" like chickens.

I LOVE my khaki campbells!! (and they seem pretty fond of me too!)

What kind of dog do you want to get?

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers

Edited by - Dusky Beauty on Jul 27 2011 3:59:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  4:40:27 PM  Show Profile
Congrat's - that is how I found this farm 15 years ago - I got lost and there it was.... So I truly believe in things happening for a reason. I pulled up in the driveway which was so not like me - the family was home, they were to leave to Aftrica in a couple of weeks and their buyer backed out. They showed me around and I called my realitor from their house phone and made them an offer. My house was not even on the market and I thought the realitor was going to faint (he handled five different home purchases but it was always as my husband and myself) he thought I was off my rocker. He told me it was grief talking and to think about it. I told him either he could do the deal or I would find someone else. My house in the city sold a month later and I was official a country gal. Dreams do and will come true - just believe.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3320 Posts

Melody
USA
3320 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  6:19:05 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Grace!! How encouraging to hear your words. And, what a story!!

Jen...."Play it cool" I'm trying, I really am....

Khaki Campbells? How LOVELY!!

Hmmm---A big dog, a very big dog!! I won't have another "nipper" like my Truman--I love him I truly do, but I want a working farm dog who makes some noise if someone drives up the dirt road!
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  11:06:40 PM  Show Profile
I recommend (and I think Grace has one to back me up) Great Pyrenees. I have a half australian shep/Pyr and shes the darling of my dog pack :) I've had labs, retrievers, misc mutts and GSDs before but they can be aggressive when they're needy. Molly just comes up to me and lays a paw in my lap when she wants attention. She's the terror of the UPS man.... she believes him to be the dog biscuit delivery man with all the bribes he gives her! lol

Here's a video I made of my ducks today. Hubby made them a mobile outdoor pen out of PVC for frame work and hardware cloth attached with zip ties. The whole thing cost less than $40 and they "free range" in it all day.
http://s1088.photobucket.com/albums/i336/duskybeauty/?action=view¤t=2011-07-27_16-38-01_595.mp4

Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3320 Posts

Melody
USA
3320 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2011 :  07:31:46 AM  Show Profile
When I was a little girl we had an Australian Sheepdog and her name was Phoebe! Gosh I haven't thought about her in a long time...

I'll check out your video Jen!

Melody
Go to Top of Page

Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2011 :  2:08:55 PM  Show Profile
Great video Jen! Darn my speaker was not working and I did'nt get to hear them quack! But loved watching them waddle around!

Seize The Day!
Dorinda
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13641 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13641 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2011 :  3:47:24 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Melody! I'm excited for you at the prospect! I;ll be praying for this!

I'm not looking for anything because I was GIVEN, as part of my inheritance, part of our family farm about 30 years ago. Hubby and I built a house on it which burned down. We cleaned up the mess and built another one. I LOVE IT HERE!!!!

I'll be praying!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

From my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2011 :  1:24:13 PM  Show Profile
Melody- Good luck with your "look see" on Monday! I hope that it all works out for you....and remember- if it is meant to be it will be.
Praying for you!
Smiles,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3320 Posts

Melody
USA
3320 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2011 :  1:34:54 PM  Show Profile
Laurie-

Yes. I am a firm believer in if it was meant to be it will be, but sometimes don't you wish you could nudge it in your direction once in a while?

Thank you so much for the prayers...I'll let you know what happens on Monday-I can't sit still thinking about it!!

Melody
Farmgirl #525
Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2011 :  5:45:29 PM  Show Profile
Melody,
I wish the best for you
Dreams are goals without the deadline.

Good Luck
:o)

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My Blog: ...following my heart, dreams and Jesus ...http://karrieann-followingmyheartandjesus.blogspot.com/
My Etsy ...Yesterday's Scraps, Tomorrow's Treasures ...http://www.etsy.com/shop/2TomorrowsTreasures
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

2317 Posts

Julie
Medina ND
USA
2317 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2011 :  05:28:28 AM  Show Profile
Saying a prayer for you Mel. If it is meant to be it will happen. Good Luck on Monday!

Julie

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

upnorthgirl
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Sharon
St. Germain WI
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2011 :  7:12:20 PM  Show Profile  Send upnorthgirl a Yahoo! Message
Good Luck Melody, I too have found what I think would be my dream farm, however at this point is is not feesible for us to move, so... I am making my current home my "farm". Thus far, I have my garden, a horse 2 dogs, a 4 year old son, and I am trying to convert my husband in to a "farm boy" (He is a typical northwoods guy, hunting , fishing etc... so he needs some converting!!) Oh and we have a small lake on our property, which is why I think my husband does not want to leave where we are! Pretty soon the out buildings will be painted barn red, I guess I can dream!!
Sharon
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2011 :  8:13:11 PM  Show Profile
Oh Boy Melody! I guess this proves the saying "things arent always what they seem" !! Lol Oh well- glad you got to see inside and satisfy your curiosity, now as you said you can turn the page and continue on your journey. Good luck and do keep us updated!
Smiles,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page

nabrown42
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Nancy
Caneyville KY
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2011 :  06:03:19 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Melody, I am so sorry! Sure wish I could give you a warm loving hug right now. Your farm is out there and I know you will find it. It just won't be this farm.

Nancy B.

Go to Top of Page

Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2011 :  09:45:47 AM  Show Profile
Oh Melody, I hate that for you. But just keep looking and you will find that farm!!! The one in your dreams!!!

Seize The Day!
Dorinda
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2011 :  4:22:07 PM  Show Profile
Melody- I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you (although it makes it a little hard to type)

Natesgirl - book recommendation - "The Farm" by Louis Bromfield (out of print- find in a library or used book store)

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic I think I found my farm...Update! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page