Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 HPV Vaccine for Boys????
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic HPV Vaccine for Boys???? Next Topic
Page: of 2

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2011 :  3:44:36 PM  Show Profile
I have been saying that about ABC Family forever! Can someone tell me how their series can be deemed "family friendly?" And some of the movies they show? Goodness. I think it is good to have open discussions with your children about these topics, but it doesn't need to be shoved in kids faces.

Liz
Farmgirl #1947
www.militaryfarmgirl.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2011 :  4:46:55 PM  Show Profile
I for the most part really like Hallmark channel, things like Hallmark movies, Little House on the Prairie and my favorite the Walton's!

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2011 :  10:01:31 PM  Show Profile
Laurie, it did start out as a good concept. But now, like you said, it's more how cool it is to be a young, pregnant girl.
Nini, I think because it is becoming more common/in-the media, that it's becoming less taboo. When the show 16 and Pregnant started, I was afraid of what my parents would think about the show and even just me knowing that teenagers had babies! But now, it's always on the news/in the tabloids, that now, my Mom and I watch the show together and we use it as a conversation starter. Not only does it go against our values as a family, but I want to see the world and go after every opportunity possible before I have a baby.
Suzanne, I definitely agree! One show in particular, every other word is 'sex'! That's definitely not how my friends and I talk, and I know most people don't talk about it all the time, which is how the show portrays teens.
God's and Farmgirl's Blessings,
Megan

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

mydakota
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

kristi
redmond oregon
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2011 :  12:13:39 AM  Show Profile
Well, I guess I am the salmon swimming upstream here. I am guessing that I am a little less conservative than most of you ladies, so take it with a grain of salt. I have two boys ages 12 and 15. I will not even think twice about my sons getting the vaccine. I won't make any big deal out of it at all with them. They will just get it like they get every other vaccine they have ever had--very matter of fact. Please understand that I think it is WONDERFUL that you have taught your children to have values and morals. I have done so with my children as well. I don't for one minute want to sound like I don't support that 100%. That is not what this is about for me. For me it is about protecting children from a disease that is so easily preventable, and also about accepting the fact that they are, in fact, sexual beings. Someday the overwhelming majority will have sex. They may share a parents values and wait for marriage or they may not. Even if they DO wait, what if their future mate did not? I guess I just don't attach a stigma to it merely because the most common way for this particular disease to be spread is sexual in nature. It just lacks "gasp-factor" for me. Obviously, you have the complete right to feel entirely different.

All that said, I think your doctor was wrong to embarrass your son that way. That would have made me angry too.

HearthCricket Farm. Where the door is always open, and the coffee is always on.

Edited by - mydakota on Aug 13 2011 12:16:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

mydakota
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

kristi
redmond oregon
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2011 :  12:19:37 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Sheep Mom 2

I respect your stand however, one doesn't have to be sexually active to get HPV. Do the research - it can even be transmitted by a handshake or a kiss.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran

I have not heard of it being spread by as casual a contact as a handshake, but it CAN be spread by means other than intercourse.

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2011 :  06:41:48 AM  Show Profile
No judgment from me, Kristi - I understand and respect your position and right to make these decisions for your children. I have quite a few friends who feel the same way you do concerning this matter. I just feel so differently about the whole thing for so many reasons, and I really appreciate that you respect my right to feel this way. Nobody loves our children more, or knows and understands them better, than we, their parents. I just have to follow my gut about this, as you do yours. For us, until our son is in a position where becoming active is an option, this vaccine is simply not an option.

Just to try to clarify a little bit more about the transmission of HPV, here are some links to the CDC website concerning HPV:

http://www.cdc.gov/std/HPV/STDFact-HPV.htm This is their Genital HPV Infection Fact Sheet

http://www.cdc.gov/std/hpv/stdfact-hpv-and-men.htm This is their Fact Sheet for HPV in Men.

http://www.cdc.gov/eid/content/14/6/888.htm This is a study they conducted. I found the discussion section concerning transmission to be very interesting.

Hope this helps anyone with questions! :)

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

www.papercraftingwithnini.myctmh.com

Go to Top of Page

mydakota
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

kristi
redmond oregon
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2011 :  09:25:48 AM  Show Profile
To be clear, I am not disputing the assertion that the most COMMON form of HPV transmission is through sexual intercourse. I am only providing links to support the assertion that intercourse is not the ONLY form of transmission.

http://www.eyesontheprize.org/cgi-local/askpro.cgi?ID=26

http://www.genital-warts-treatments-online.com/genital_wart_information.html

http://www.genitalwartsreport.com/genital-warts/

http://hpv.emedtv.com/genital-warts/how-do-genital-warts-spread.html

http://dermnetnz.org/viral/genital-warts.html

http://www.medicinenet.com/genital_warts_in_women/article.htm

It is overwhelmingly clear to me that we both love our children. We are both trying to do our very best to serve them well in this world. When all is said and done, We both will have made mistakes. But you know what? It will likely all come out in the wash. At some point, they are responsible for what they take and what they leave of our teaching. We are human, and can only do the best we can do. It isn't the parent that disagrees with me that I worry about, actually. (because God knows I am not going to be right about everything) It is the parent who seems to not put much thought or energy into trying that scares me.

Edited by - mydakota on Aug 13 2011 09:32:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2011 :  11:21:14 AM  Show Profile
I hear you, Kristi! I am afraid, though, that somehow you have taken offense at something I said. Please know that absolutely no offense was intended - not at all! If it seemed that way, I most sincerely apologize! I'm not like that at all! :) Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2011 :  11:24:39 AM  Show Profile
Kristi - I just looked at those sites you posted... I'm not seeing anything different than on the CDC site?? Am I missing something? I want to be sure! Thanks - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

mydakota
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

kristi
redmond oregon
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2011 :  12:23:43 PM  Show Profile
Oh goodness no. Not offended in the slightest. In similar situations I have been asked the same thing before though, so it must be something in the way I post that lead folks to believe I am angry? I dunno. If that is what came across, I sure didn't mean for it to and in reality don't feel that way. Sometimes communication via the internet is hampered by our inability to see each others expressions and hear each others tone of voice. My AIM is to be clear in how I write so that the reader really understands what I am trying to say. Sometimes I fall short of that I guess and what is perceived is more emotional than just a desire for clarity?

In all of the links I posted, it also speaks of vertical transmission (parent to child--most often during birth, but in at least one case it speaks of possible transmission from parent to child from something as simple as a parent changing a diaper after having failed to wash appropriately after going to the bathroom--chances of this being a transmission route go up if the child has compromised skin integrity such as a diaper rash). They also speak of skin to skin transmission in cases where the integrity of the skin is compromised (cut/scratch/sore) There is also mention of possible transmission via mucous membranes. (on some of these you have to read pretty far down) I guess what I am trying to point out is that I think this should be considered as more of a health issue than a sexual/moral issue. I think there are sometimes both religious and moral undertones assigned to these topics that can cause us to look at it as though that somehow makes it different health wise. I guess because of that, I was trying to point out that it is entirely possible for a younger person who is not yet sexually active to be threatened by this. Not that I feel that should make any difference really. But to some folks it seems to. Several of the articles (if you read far enough down) also mention that by age 50, an estimated 80% of women will have had an HPV infection. 80%. Wow. And most of them won't even know it.

But no, I am certainly not offended. I am also not trying to be offensive. I apologize if I am coming off that way.

Edited by - mydakota on Aug 13 2011 12:25:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2011 :  12:37:31 PM  Show Profile
Oh, thank goodness! I'm so relieved! I know what you mean - if we could hear each other's voices and see each other's expressions, it really would be SO much better, huh?! I didn't take any offense, honest - I just wanted to be sure you didn't! :) It's all good!

I see what you're saying. My sister's main concern is for cervical cancer with her young daughter; our neighbor has the same concern for hers. I totally get that. I don't want my son to become a carrier, either. My sister's son is the same age as mine. She said she's heard of the male vaccine, but her family doctor hasn't even brought this subject up with her yet. She said she's not sure how she's going to handle it at that point, though. She said she would give the vaccine to her daughter in a heartbeat, but she's not sure what she'd do with her son. I thought that was very interesting. My neighbor said that her main concern wasn't what her girls would do or not do, but rather what would happen if someone did something to them. She feels it's just better to protect them to be safe. I get that, too. It's a scarey thing. It really is.

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2011 :  12:41:03 AM  Show Profile
Kristi, you bring up good points that HPV can be transferred other ways than just having sex. I think there are some misconceptions about certain diseases. I watched a movie today, and even though it was fictional, the teens in the movie thought that they could HIV through sitting on the same chair as someone who is HIV positive. I think that the spread of these diseases could be prevented through education about how to protect yourself.
God's and Farmgirl's Blessings,
Megan

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic HPV Vaccine for Boys???? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page