Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 August--lose weight, eat right...wanna join me :0)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic August--lose weight, eat right...wanna join me :0) Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

136 Posts

donna
honesdale pa
136 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2011 :  08:24:44 AM  Show Profile
So, I am focusing on getting fit before the end of the year is up. Several on this other thread are also motivated...looking for motivation...or are a motivator! So, here is a thread to encourage one another for the month of August!
Anyone can join in with any thoughts, ideas, struggles, etc. I know hearing from others, no matter where they are in their journey, nearly always encourages me :0).
So, join in if you have a plan and want some accountability or ideas!

My goals for this month are:
1. GET MOVING! 20-30 minutes per day this week...add my as I go along. Last summer/fall, before my life went crazy , I was up to 80 minutes of Walk Away the Pounds and other interval training. So that is my goal over the next 2-3 weeks!

2. Get over my LOVE---dare I say LUST of carbs...all the bad ones! White this, creamy that. We all KNOW what we should avoid for our own health and for me, the abundance of bread and daily ice-cream...it's GOT to go!!!!!

3. Meditate and give yoga another shot. My doctor thinks I have the start of some sort of GI/ulcer thing going on so relaxing is key and so I MUST figure out how---and WHY--I always feel the need to be doing and not enjoying the being! I saw so much of this in my daughter this summer . She exemplified my bad habit of always DOING and not BEING...I was quite heart sick over it and we talked alot about how we both need to work through this. As a Christian I always had a hard time with the spiritual aspects of yoga (not meant to offend anyone at ALL!!!! it just sort of went against what I was taught for so many years!). But then a light went on in my head---DUH! Yoga is to help opne relax and meditate...so I choose some scripture and meditate on that :0). I just need to order the DVD for big gals so I don;t fall over doing the movements!

4. Make time to spend some time on things that make me happy---gardening, sewing, crafting, reading. it is not selfish and quite needed when there are so many other things I truly must get done (feed the family, wash, etc.) I know I still need time for pleasurable things. Being a stay at home mom/wife is an awesome privilege that does take a lot of my attention. Sometimes people think that SAHM have all the hours in the day to just sit about---so not true! But being able to peruse pleasurable things MUST be a priority to me---to take care of me is NOT a bad thing!

Well, that's all I have for today. So far so good. I mean it is 11:30 and I had breakfast of 2 eggs and 2 T shredded cheese and decaf tea. Off to get a move on and then we will see!!!

Just a Brooklyn, NY gal trying to figure out this country thing after 12+ years in the woods of NE PA! Wife of my HS sweetie going on 23 years and mom to the amazing four ages 19(g), 17(s), 14(s), 13(s)!
Donna
Sister # 3062
http://restingunderthepinetree.blogspot.com/

momof2jrt
True Blue Farmgirl

194 Posts

Denise
grafton wv
USA
194 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2011 :  09:21:39 AM  Show Profile
I would love to join you..I was doing pretty good then went on the down hill slope very quick. Starting again today
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

136 Posts

donna
honesdale pa
136 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2011 :  10:02:00 AM  Show Profile
YAY! I did a WHOLE 12 minutes of jumping around today using the 10 Minute Workouts. Figured I'd start slow :0). I really do not like yoga that much, but I am trying :0).
So, Denise, if you have any ideas, or just want to post stuff you are doing, share away!

Just a Brooklyn, NY gal trying to figure out this country thing after 12+ years in the woods of NE PA! Wife of my HS sweetie going on 23 years and mom to the amazing four ages 19(g), 17(s), 14(s), 13(s)!
Donna
Sister # 3062
Go to Top of Page

Farmer Judy
True Blue Farmgirl

433 Posts

Judy
North Aurora IL
USA
433 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2011 :  11:46:29 AM  Show Profile
I might as well joint too. I told my DH last week that today was the day I start going back on the treadmill. I missed my goal last winter and could not fit into the wowser dress I got at the resale shop for easter. I'm uncomfortable in all my jeans and jeans is what I wear almost everyday. I planned on doing 20 - 30 minutes 3 - 4 times a week and limit my ice cream to only Saturday night. At work I know I am not drinking enough water so I plan to increase that too. I will start there and grow my program. I have some yoga and exercise DVD's so I know where to go next.
Good Luck Donna and Denise.
God bless

Judy
Born a city girl but a farm girl at heart!
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6587 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6587 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2011 :  12:09:25 PM  Show Profile
Here I am ready to go as well. I started weight watchers yesterday and I do the Walk Away the Pounds DVD's as well Donna, I just love Leslie Sansone. What ever I do I have to be so careful because of my knees despite surgeries they both still cause me quit a bit of pain due to OsteoArthritis. I have to wear a hinged brace on the knee that I had totally replaced 1 1/2 years ago, (for 6-8 months) seems the hinge has come loose on the inside so the brace is suppose to help me to walk and strengthen the knee. If it does not work I will have to have surgery again to tighten the hinge and I do not want another surgery. So, we will see maybe we can motivate one another ladies, at 56 it is time I do something besides talk about it:-)
So, good luck everyone.
Farmgirl Hugs,
Debbie

www.etsy.com/shop/CollectThisTreasures

http://debbielynnf.blogspot.com

http://myworld.ebay.com/debbt
Go to Top of Page

tammyknit
True Blue Farmgirl

135 Posts

Tammy
Reedsburg WI
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2011 :  2:52:42 PM  Show Profile
I'm in, even though I will probably be more active in September once DD goes back to school. We have a "staycation" next week and we will be pretty active getting lots of home projects done (like mopping ALL of the hard surface floors). I will try to get on the treadmill every day, though. Best of luck!

Tammy
Go to Top of Page

vintage saver
True Blue Farmgirl

323 Posts

oleta
wheelersburg ohio
USA
323 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2011 :  3:08:44 PM  Show Profile
I would like to join you. My dr. wants me to walk, but I don't have a very good place to do it. Several places within driving distance, but I don't want to waste the gas. I live back from a busy highway. I guess I could walk up and down my driveway for 15 min to start. I also have a Walk Away the Pounds dvd I've never even opened and an exercise book called 8 minutes every morning. Exercise is my biggie. I mostlly eat healthy things except for the sweets which I can cut down on.
Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2011 :  4:06:18 PM  Show Profile
I have started the C25K program. Now if I could just kick the Diet Coke habit. I know it is a horrible habit, but I truly am addicted. Isn't that awful of me? I am off this whole month, so maybe I can get down to just one can a day, and hopefully be done with the stuff shortly after.

Liz
Farmgirl #1947
www.militaryfarmgirl.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

terriholland00
True Blue Farmgirl

231 Posts

Terri
Christoval Texas
USA
231 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2011 :  8:52:41 PM  Show Profile
I'm in gals. I started today as well by going to my water fitness class that I haven't been to in months due to a bad knee. The knee is well now, Praise the Lord, so I promised myself I would get back to the pool. I like you Woolgirl am absolutely addicted to Diet Coke. I drink way too many and not enough water. I have been trying to drink diet green tea and it is pretty good and I like it ok. So here is my plan so far:
Exercise at least 30 mins 5 days a week
Drink more water/green tea and less diet coke
Think before I eat and be more mindful of what is going in my mouth(less sugar and carbs, which I LOVE w/a passion)

I also go to my Dr. tomorrow for all my lab results and we will see what she says I need to do as well. I'll get back to you on that discussion.

I have a 7 day cruise planned in late Nov to Jamaica, so that is my other motivation to get off my rear and get moving so I can feel and look better by then:-)
Terri

http://www.etsy.com/shop/terriholland00
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

136 Posts

donna
honesdale pa
136 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2011 :  05:40:39 AM  Show Profile
WOW! Welcome to the club ladies...I am on my way out for the bulk of today and do so hope my gracious hostess does not tempt me with too many treat like foods :0). I will pop on over later on and see how we've all done for the day...I LOVE the challenges and encouragement so far!

Oleta...have you ever checked out Walk Away the Pounds dvd's? They are just amazing! You can do from 15 minutes to 75 minutes--1 mile to 5! She is spunky and encouraging during the walks. I have used them for many years...wish I would have been more consistent---but I know that my original 50 pound loss had a lot to do with using them! HTH

Donna
Sister # 3062
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2011 :  06:51:28 AM  Show Profile
I've been battling some extra bulk lately too that I just cannot lose even though I walk several miles a day taking care of the critters, toting things around, mowing...I must just be a real "easy-keeper" like a couple of my horses. The problem is that I'm only 5'0" and every extra calorie goes straight to storage...every extra inch really shows on a short frame...and my husband is an outstanding cook! A tight size 8 is bigger than what I should be wearing...I need to get back to my loose size 6's. The article that came out this morning about the 66 year old actress, Helen Mirren, was inspirational!

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
A Beehive is the ultimate Home Sweet Home
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6587 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6587 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2011 :  08:20:47 AM  Show Profile
Off to swimming this morning, the doctor tells me it will be so good for my knees. Weight Watchers and the Leslie Sansone DVD's are helping. I have lost almost 2 pounds! I am so thrilled. Nothing like Farmers Market fruit and veggies to make a farmgirl feel good.
Farmgirl Hugs,
Debbie

Go to Top of Page

YiberryYadeeKarin
True Blue Farmgirl

343 Posts

Karin
Spokane Valley WA
USA
343 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2011 :  10:26:05 AM  Show Profile
I would also like to join you all on this journey.

I started out the year doing well with my eating and started adding exercise -- Wii Fit Plus is GREAT!!! Fun, too! Then I started adding walking and hiking and was doing SO well. I was worried about summer as I do NOT stand hot temps at all (and we have hot and dry summers here) but we were experiencing an unseasonably cool summer (ahhhh!). Then we went on vacation (Whistler, BC) and had plans to hike but where we were was also colder than usual and they were about a month behind and there was snow on top of the alpine trails!!! We did quite a bit of walking around the town, but didn't get in any hiking. Now it's gotten hot and even though I started going to the gym, when my daughter and I went to the Idaho and Montana border on Saturday to do some hiking, it was HOT and I suffered!!! I kept having to stop while going up hill and was hurting!!! And gimping around the next day. I really think it's the heat for me that I just can't tolerate. But the thought of giving up hiking until -- September or October??? -- and starting over again... I am feeling SO DISCOURAGED!!!!!

Thursday I am leaving for three days, again, in British Columbia, but when I get back I really need to focus again. So I will get myself to regularly check out this forum, share my struggles and successes, and see how everyone else is doing.

I'm interesting in that Cough to 5K, too!!!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

Farmer Judy
True Blue Farmgirl

433 Posts

Judy
North Aurora IL
USA
433 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2011 :  10:37:47 AM  Show Profile
I feel so bad for you Karin. I started walking at work on lunch last March/April and felt completely refreshed but then the dang weather got so hot I couldn't anymore. The heat takes everything out of me and I turn beet red. I got the gardens started and luckily for me my husband helped cause the heat is bothering me there too. I have about 35 extra pounds my doctor said to drop and I just have not been able to. The heat keeps doing me in. It probably does not help that I have high blood presure and diabetes and I twisted both ankles last year spring and now they want to twist all the time. Indoor tread mill for me my friends and stretching on a DVD. I want to add weight training but I don't really have a good spot for it, I'll figure a way.

Karin, how long can you go before you need to stop, it would be great if you could set up some rest stops for you and have ice water or something to refresh you like fruit.

Judy
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6587 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6587 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2011 :  11:52:35 AM  Show Profile
Oh Karin do not give up. Where you are going on vacation do they have a pool that you can use? I jut finished swimming for 45 minutes and it was wonderful, it was so good for my knees. I did all my knee exercises in the pool so I do not have to do them at home, it is so much easier. Later I will walk my 4 dogs, now that is a workout.
Hang in there ladies lets take it one day at a time.
Hugs,
Debbie

Go to Top of Page

terriholland00
True Blue Farmgirl

231 Posts

Terri
Christoval Texas
USA
231 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2011 :  6:48:54 PM  Show Profile
Ok, wanna hear about how my day went and my plan of action?
Well I started taking my multi-vitamin and vit. D again (multivit is a liquid, according to Dr. that is best)
Watched what I ate all day and did pretty good I think.
Had only 2 diet cokes! Yeah...had diet green tea and unsweet tea and water instead.
Went to the gym, did 1 mile on the cycle and 1/2 mile walking the track. Still trying to warm my knee up w/o stressing it too much at first.
Went to the Dr. and received the good news and the bad....cholestrol and BP is all good, thyroid good, B12 good...and some other good stuff. Now the bad...no hormones at all, its been 6 years since my hysterectomy and I refused hormone rplacement. No vit d or very little, and I am insulin resistant to the point of being pre-diabetic(diabetes runs in my mom's family and she is pre diabetic as well). So the plan is to lower sugar/carbs, exercise, eat 5-6 small meals per day w/protein at each meal. Hopefully this will get that under control and stop full blown diabetes from coming on.
Then she put me on bio-identical hormone cream that was compounded at the pharmacy. So I guess it's a good thing that I had planned to start doing better health and wellness wise at this point in my life anyway considering the results.
Sounds like everyone is doing well and I know we can get through this by supporting each other.
Love
Terri

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

136 Posts

donna
honesdale pa
136 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2011 :  06:59:21 AM  Show Profile
Hang in there ladies---it seems all who posted so far have some challenges but also some workable goals!
We can all encourage one another...it is so important as so many women are caregivers to take care of ourselves! I often struggle with that---WHAT an understatement! I actually feel GULTY about it sometimes...way out of balance!

Monday was a great day---yesterday was not so great mostly because I was not at home! i didn;t want to eat the frozen bagel treats and so I did not eat much at all---what I did eat was too many other carbs so i ended up with a nasty headache! No walking but I knew I would be out all day and did not plan on it!

My dvd is all set and I am off to go see how far I can "walk" with dear Leslie Sansone! I hope I can get to 2 miles...4-5 by next week!

let us NOT grow weary ladies!!!!!

Donna
Sister # 3062
Go to Top of Page

tammyknit
True Blue Farmgirl

135 Posts

Tammy
Reedsburg WI
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2011 :  4:41:51 PM  Show Profile
Okay, Monday went well, didn't eat too much extra starch, and my neighbor called and took me to kick boxing with her. Am I sore today! Yesterday, ate well, did an exercise ball class (the hospital where I work offers free classes 3 days a week). Today, I didn't do so well (too many Doritoes and a box of Milk Duds....got to cut down on starches) but I did go to class at the hospital and my DH says we are going for a walk tonight. It is only 84 degrees with a nice breeze, bit change from 95 and still and humid yesterday. Everybody, keep up the good work!

Tammy
Go to Top of Page

terriholland00
True Blue Farmgirl

231 Posts

Terri
Christoval Texas
USA
231 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2011 :  7:03:15 PM  Show Profile
Well today was good. I started with a small but healthy breakfast, then had a great chicken berry salad from Wendy's for lunch. Kinda got hungry mid afternoon so had some dried cranberries w/walnuts. Supper was tuna filet and veggies. Only 2 diet cokes and more green tea, no water though:-( Just can't seem to get that H2O in there. When the hubby got home we went to the neighbors and got in their pool, did some exercise and walking in the water. Took my vitamins too! So I feel like I am on a roll and I sure hope I can stick it out for more than a week or two. Just having this forum helps because it is like I have a group to account to, which makes me want to do the right thing. So thanks for reading....and sharing.
Terri

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

136 Posts

donna
honesdale pa
136 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2011 :  06:56:04 AM  Show Profile
So, we are all at least STARTING and feeling like starting is going to get us somewhere as long as we don't dwindle after a week or 2---how often that happens!!! I hope that is not the case for ALL of us--me included. So, let's just keep posting and hopefully there will be successes than failures!

Yesterday was ok---got my 2 mile walk in and eating was great---until I had a tooth pulled and then I had ice-cream and it felt GOOD to have something cold and soothing!

Back on track today. Annoyed that I have to take ibuprofen for the pain/swelling since it is aggravating my stomach! (over the past few months I have taken way too much ibuprofen so it is a long term use pain---I had JUST stopped using it and had no stomach pain--and BAM! I am hoping to only need it for today!)

I think I should be up to a walk today---even if it is just 1 mile I can't keep having excuses to NOT follow through!

So...I am going to make a list of our names and figure out if maybe we can have a "weekly" thread??? Might make it easier to keep posting, right???

Donna
Sister # 3062
Go to Top of Page

YiberryYadeeKarin
True Blue Farmgirl

343 Posts

Karin
Spokane Valley WA
USA
343 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2011 :  07:01:36 AM  Show Profile
Please put me on the list!

I am headed out of town for three days so will have to catch up when I get back.

Best of luck to all of you!

See you later! Karin
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

136 Posts

donna
honesdale pa
136 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2011 :  07:03:01 AM  Show Profile
Here's who I have--I hope I did not miss anyone---but if so PLEASE just let me know!!!

Donna-me :0)
Denise
Judy
Debbie
Tammi
Oleta
Elizabeth
Terri
Paula
Karin

10 lovely, losing ladies :0)! Encouragement and Accountability---YAY!

So, I would be willing to say I will start a new thread on Mondays where we can begin our week and offer ideas, share struggles, list whatever we feel would help us---our workout, our food diary.
Nothing like new friends to keep us going!
PLEASE share any and all thoughts and ideas on how we can help one another along!!!!

Donna
Sister # 3062
Go to Top of Page

craftystranger
True Blue Farmgirl

525 Posts

Barbara
Franklin NC
USA
525 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2011 :  2:09:07 PM  Show Profile
I would like to join in this group. Last week I was on holiday and walked on the beach everyday 3 miles min. Rode my bike with my nephews. Oh I must also say the house we rented had a lot of steps. My calves hurt the first couple of days. I find it hard to get walking in due to work. I'm a nurse and have call every third day. I need to be able to get to the hospital in 30min. But joining this group will make me figure out a plan. I do tend to add pounds in the fall and winter. Love fall food. I would love to have a group that will shame me when I have an excuse for "not doing right". I will come up with a plan by monday. This is a great idea!! Barbara

Don't forget to laugh!
Go to Top of Page

Farmer Judy
True Blue Farmgirl

433 Posts

Judy
North Aurora IL
USA
433 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2011 :  2:13:46 PM  Show Profile
Unfortunately I have not had a real chance to do my treadmill this week. It's registration week so I've done my walking at the high school and tonight the Jr high. Never the less I have lowered my consumption of junk food and even had a couple of fruit drinks with lots of antioxidents instead of a pop or lemonade.

Judy

http://farmtimes.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2011 :  2:45:40 PM  Show Profile
Health.com has some great motivational information and some short work out routines if you don't need a video. I printed off a 20 minute Pilates workout, but it is still in my computer bag. We got home at around 6:00 p.m., did chores, took care of the animals, and after all that didn't sit down to dinner until 9:00 p.m. It is really hard to fit even a 20 minute workout into a weekday evening. We absolutely are not the type of couple who plops in front of the TV every evening. As active as we are, I think anyone else would be a beanpole, but I still struggle with extra body fat. My husband doesn't have an ounce of fat on him. It is frustrating to say the least.
So, since I spend the majority of my weekdays sitting at a computer, I found some exercises I could do in my desk chair, especially the ab exercises. I picked out about four, and set up my Outlook calendar with reminders to do an exercise or two at various points throughout the day. The reminders are set to start on Friday morning. Hope this works!!

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
A Beehive is the ultimate Home Sweet Home
Go to Top of Page

vintage saver
True Blue Farmgirl

323 Posts

oleta
wheelersburg ohio
USA
323 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2011 :  4:22:51 PM  Show Profile
Well, I still haven't opened the walking video, but I will early in the ams when he is asleep. Today I ate fruit for snacks, bought more snack packs at wal-mart that sell for a dollar, watermelons and tomatoes from the Amish. I'll weigh myself in the am(supposed to be doing this anydway because of the heart failure) Got to get started, can't keep on being fat. I would love to be able to get in a pool and walk. I love the water.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic August--lose weight, eat right...wanna join me :0) Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page