Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 AN INCONVENIENT TRUTH... the movie
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic AN INCONVENIENT TRUTH... the movie Next Topic  

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2006 :  7:54:49 PM  Show Profile
Double WOW Whammy! What a fantastic, EMPOWERING movie!! - especially for those of us who appreciate something that is intellectually stimulating.

Al Gore does a great job of explaining the hows-whys-and -what fors of this issue of global warming in very understandable terms. It's like attending an interesting seminar or lecture. Very engaging, with dramatic before and now photographs of receding glaciers, which is very disconcerting to see; along with charts to emphasize what's been happening through time to our climate, its cycles and changes.

I went to a matinee (5:05pm) showing and there were about twenty people viewing the movie. We all stayed until the end. What really was engaging was the text that flashes across the screen in the closing credits, while Melissa Etheridge is singing her song "I Need To Wake Up"... - They are different actions anyone can take that will make a difference in the climate of our planet. One was: "Write to your congressmen. And if your congressmen won't listen ... run for congress." That one got applause! And at the very end- a round of applause, which just expressed our appreciation of the film and its content.

I encourage you to see it if at all possible. It will give you fuel to do the things that you need to do, as we all are part of the solution to this problem. We can fix it before we self destruct, and before all that we have to leave to our children is a complete wasteland. We can have a better legacy than that. Our planet is beautiful. Let's protect it.

Here's the lyrics to Melissa's song, which are quite thought provoking:

-I Need to Wake Up -

Have I been sleeping?
I've been so still
Afraid of crumbling
Have I been careless?
Dismissing all the distant rumblings
Take me where I am supposed to be
To comprehend the things that I can't see'

Cause I need to move
I need to wake up
I need to change
I need to shake up
I need to speak out
Something's got to break up
I've been asleep
And I need to wake up now

And as a child
I danced like it was 1999
My dreams were wild
The promise of this new world
Would be mine
Now I am throwing off the carelessness of youth
To listen to an inconvenient truth
That I need to move

I need to wake up
I need to change
I need to shake up
I need to speak out
I've been asleep

I am not an island
I am not alone
I am my intentions
Trapped here in this flesh and bone
And I need to move
I need to wake up
I need to change
I need to shake up
I need to speak out
I've been asleep

I want to change
I need to shake up
I need to speak out
Or, something's got to break up
I've been asleep

Humor is the prelude to faith and Laughter is the beginning of prayer. -- Reinhold Niebuhr

http://farmstyle.blogspot.com

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2006 :  8:02:01 PM  Show Profile
I haven't seen the movie yet, Clare, but I've been meaning to do just that. My DH is dying to go too. Just need to call Grama to come babysit! Thanks for the nudge - glad you found it so inspiring!!!

Catherine

http://yogurtandgranola.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2006 :  8:39:44 PM  Show Profile
I wonder if it will come close to us...we tend to not get anything that isn't VERY mainstream here in the boonies. I will sure look for it though. I always appreciate your opinion Clare!!!
sounds really important!!!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2006 :  11:56:31 PM  Show Profile
I have heard that it is a really good movie. Everyone should see it!!!
I havent seen it yet, cause it hasnt been around here yet, but as soon as it does im seeing it
Go to Top of Page

Destiny~
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Dar
west TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2006 :  04:54:03 AM  Show Profile
Living in the middle of 'Bush' and 'oil' country I'll probably have to wait and see it when it comes out on video. I've heard lot's of good things about it in the media so it's good to hear a review from someone who's actually seen it.

"Let us, together, sow seeds for a better harvest-a harvest for hope."
Jane Goodall, Harvest for Hope
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2006 :  08:29:42 AM  Show Profile
I live in a smallish town of about 50K population. So it's making its rounds on the movie circuit. Watch your local listings. I would've missed it because I don't go to movies regularly and don't watch the listings, but I heard a blurb about it on the local radio station from someone who had already attended.

Hope everyone has the opportunity to view it. Really. It's good!

Humor is the prelude to faith and Laughter is the beginning of prayer. -- Reinhold Niebuhr

Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2006 :  10:09:21 AM  Show Profile
One word, Netflix! They always have everything once it comes out on video.

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority." -E. B. White

http://www.betweenthecities.com/blog/ljr/
Go to Top of Page

MullersLaneFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Rock Falls IL
596 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2006 :  10:49:52 AM  Show Profile
My family's 'footprint' on this earth is very important to me. It's one of the reasons we live as we do.

But, the effects of "global warming" is a natural phenomenon that has happened before and will happen again.

Cyndi
Muller's Lane Farm http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2006 :  12:17:25 PM  Show Profile
Which is exactly the assumption that the movie is trying to counter-balance. Yes, everything is cyclical, but we are in an extreme phase.

Go to Top of Page

Destiny~
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Dar
west TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2006 :  1:30:58 PM  Show Profile
My question to those who scoff at 'global warming' is, can your children afford for us to be wrong?

"Let us, together, sow seeds for a better harvest-a harvest for hope."
Jane Goodall, Harvest for Hope
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2006 :  2:56:28 PM  Show Profile
I haven't seen the movie - maybe I will. Why discount the fact that nature is cyclical? Why buy into everything Al Gore says because you agree with his politics? What about the Creator? The verse that says, "My God shall supply all your needs"? Yes - He created this earth that we enjoy and yes, we can be stupid and destructive. That's why my family chooses to "tread lightly" - we honor Him and His gifts! We buy organic, we enjoy the earth without destroying it to the best of our ability - but how arrogant to think we can destroy something God created? We can be careless, and shouldn't be, but He will continue to provide. There are good choices and bad choices, but to think we can destroy this earth is not true. We can be healthy or not - that's our volition - another gift from the Creator. But we cannot destroy this earth. It will be here, and it will be hospitable to human life for as long as God decides. THAT is not up to us!
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2006 :  4:42:47 PM  Show Profile
'We cannot destroy this earth'? I disagree! We have already done much damage to our earth. But I'm feeling like this is a topic that is difficult to discuss dispassionately, so I'll tread lightly and just disagree.
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2006 :  5:46:22 PM  Show Profile
For those in doubt, I seriously suggest that you see the movie, just for the verification. This is not fluff that he is presenting, but hard-cold-facts that are substantiated from reliable sources. And if you question the facts, the pictures of sites that have already been enormously affected is proof enough. (like every major glacial expanse on the planet)

I have no desire to mix religion and politics.... and to me this is neither. This is care of our environment and planet.

I'm signing off now, with no need to defend or debate. It is what it is. Either it is of interest to you or not, but please do not turn this into a war of words.

Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2006 :  6:05:39 PM  Show Profile
Not a war of words: My spiritual life IS my life.
'nuff said.
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2006 :  07:51:03 AM  Show Profile
My apologies for sounding ungracious.
Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2006 :  3:21:03 PM  Show Profile
You know, things can become emotionally heated when we discuss things that we are passionate about....the environment is one of them!

I personally feel that there IS something important going on with Global warming....Just turn on the news; record breaking heat everywhere in the world.

KJD,
I know where you are coming from, for many of us spiritual beliefs are the very center of our lives....however to quote you "how arrogant of us to think we can destroy something God created" Well, sadly it happens all the time. People kill animals (I am not talking about meat, I am talking about senselessly taking a life) And what about murder??? Humans destroy things of beauty created by God everyday!

Maybe global warming is just a slower destruction??
What do you think?
Just a thought....let me know what you think
Love and Light to you, FarmSisters.
Kate
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2006 :  6:39:15 PM  Show Profile
Kate,
You are right - we do destroy things. And we suffer consequences. As I said, we definitely shouldn't do damage, even though of course we do. My point really is that God is more powerful than we are - He will not allow us to make this earth unlivable for human life - He does promise that He will destroy it some day - on His timetable -that's what I meant by "arrogance" to think we can do that. Again - I am concerned for people, animals, environment and try to live life to protect all these things - it would be ungrateful of us not to - all these beautiful things were provided for us. I just don't like when scare tactics are used for whatever the underlying reason might be - political power possibly being one reason I see for a lot of the global warming issue. The earth does go through natural cycles. I admit it is wrong of me to judge another person's motives and should assume they are genuinely concerned and truly believe what they say. I also dislike conflict and antagonism, so I'm sorry I contributed to that. Thank you for your thoughtful response, Kate!
Go to Top of Page

jo Thompson
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jo
the mountainside of the Chugach in Alaska
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2006 :  7:09:05 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for clearing that up, I don't this is the place to critize each other, this is a forum intended to support and maintain an open mind. Please don't theologize here too much.

"friends don't let friends eat farmed salmon"
http://homepage.mac.com/thomja/Anchorage/PhotoAlbum14.html
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2006 :  04:12:03 AM  Show Profile
Kate in Utah -- Thanks for your thoughtful and well-expressed response. KL
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic AN INCONVENIENT TRUTH... the movie Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page