walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  2:47:18 PM  Show Profile
To save money, I've reduced my grocery trips in half. I used to go once every two weeks. Now I go once a month. I used to spend $250 each trip (500/month) and now I only spend $250 alltogether. That's including all household stuff as well.

My secret? MaryJane's Food, coupons, and avoiding processed stuff! My lettuce will stay good for almost a month-that's at least a salad a week! Pasta is once a week, I buy lots of chicken and beef...do lots of pressure cooking and slow cooking. Also, we love mexican food, so refried beans, tacos, etc. are always a favorite, too. I make my own bread, get my milk from the local dairy, and buy my flour and sugar in bulk and store it in our extra fridge.

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  3:25:14 PM  Show Profile
That is awesome! I wish I could do that. We have zilch for storage space though and I m having such a hard time finding (and affording) local meat and milk. How did you find a local dairy?

Liz
Farmgirl #1947
www.militaryfarmgirl.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  3:53:23 PM  Show Profile
They're our neighbor 2 farms down. ;) here's a good resource though:

http://www.realmilk.com/where2.html

I googled Great Lakes, and the map said it was in the Chicago Area, so I copied results from the chicago area of that website:

# Chicago area: Raw milk products (milk, cream, butter) are now available through a cow share program managed by Richard Hebron of Family Farms Cooperative. Please e-mail Richard at familyfarmscoop@netzero.com or call (269) 476-8883 for more details. Deliveries are made once every four weeks to Aurora, West Dundee, Forest Park, Highland Park, Edgewater, DesPlaines, and Schaumburg. More details available here: www.mercola.com/forms/raw_milk_cow_sharing.htm
# Chicago area: Fresh From the Farm Cooperative, Sheri Giachetto smg9@comcast.net , (630) 257-9092. Provide local, organic, farm-sourced raw dairy, meats, and produce. Began in May 2001 as a result of the family’s pursuit for high quality food directly from the farmer/producer. They have assembled an array of foods from various providers which include organic, grass fed beef, pork, pastured chickens, pastured eggs, raw milk, cream, and other raw dairy products. Raw honey and bee pollen is also available as well as organic produce in the summer months, all from local, independent, organic farmers. They provide these foods fresh on a weekly basis (Weds pickup) from their southwest suburban home, and currently serve over 120 families from all areas of the Chicago metro. They continue to welcome new families to their cooperative and are happy to answer any questions you may have. They continue to search for the highest quality products at the most reasonable prices for their members as well as their own use.

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2011 :  8:49:15 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
That is awesome Megan!!! Good for you!
Hugs,
Hannah

Farmgirl sister #1219!

"Lifes not about the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away."

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2011 :  11:43:37 AM  Show Profile
I do main grocery shopping (i.e. Kroger) once a month, also. We average about $100 a month there since we belong to a CSA that gives us weekly produce, and also an organic local delivery service that I spend about $45.00 bi-weekly (we get produce, but also our organic local milk, cheese, organic beef, poultry, etc...). I do all my snack shopping at Target--they are always cheaper, and they carry the same organic products as Kroger at a fraction of the cost.
So, we might spend less than $300 a month on groceries. We simply don't eat all that crapola that's located on the interior of a grocery.
If I didn't work full time, I'd have a lot more time to make tomato sauces and things of that sort, thus eliminating the market all together, but I'm not ABOUT to hand make braunschweiger from scratch, which my husband requires a weekly supply, and that's my main reason for going to the market!!!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2011 :  11:53:51 AM  Show Profile
Jonni
I can't believe Jus is a brauschwieger eater! I love that junk, but never buy it. I can remember my mom going to Stehlin's market, & getting cold cuts, and always a small amount of braunschweiger that we would devour on saltines with yellow mustard. YUM
I have not had it in years.
Go to Top of Page

Farmer Judy
True Blue Farmgirl

433 Posts

Judy
North Aurora IL
USA
433 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2011 :  12:37:16 PM  Show Profile
Megan, how many people in the family? I feel like such a waste spending about 600 or more a month for my family of five.

Judy
Born a city girl but a farm girl at heart!
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2011 :  12:43:59 PM  Show Profile
Lisa, he LOVES it. On dark, salted rye or pumpernickel with swiss cheese and yellow mustard. It smells like cat poop to me, and I know it probably tastes really good with all the garlic and spices, but yuck. Can't do it. He'll eat a lb. a week, Lisa, no joke! Apparently, it was a mainstay at Grandma and Grandpa's, so his mom started buying it after he'd come home and say, "I had braunschwieger at Grandma and Grandpa Lynch's house and that's what I want for my lunch from now on!" Here I was taking fried Balogna!!!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2011 :  2:07:52 PM  Show Profile
I do my main shopping once a month (for the five of us ...4 teenagers and me) and my daycare...but have to fill in with fresh stuff..milk, fruits and veggies and like that..weekly. I try real hard to stick to my list and it really helps. I used to shop twice a month too, but don't enjoy those big trips so I make them "super-big" trips and it is not so bad. I do get veggies and fruit weekly from Bountiful Baskets..a food buying co-op that you do online and pick up locally..awesome value.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2011 :  4:11:43 PM  Show Profile
Can I just say BLECH to braunschweiger! LOL!

Liz
Farmgirl #1947
www.militaryfarmgirl.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2011 :  6:19:15 PM  Show Profile
I have to agree about the braunschwieger..ick

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  2:00:43 PM  Show Profile
hahaha! My mom loves that stuff. I can't stand it.

FarmerJudy, I spend 250 a month for 2 of us!!!! LOL. But that includes air fresheners, medicines, and everything else. I know there was a challenge from a magazine to spend $25/week per person over two on groceries. I'm not sure if that extends into medicines and non-grocery goods, but, I think I'm doing good.

I went grocery shopping again today-kinda bummed cause I had to spend a lot on spices which I don't buy often.l I also had to buy a few other things that I don't buy often. It's also such a PAIN to have that many groceries AND a baby! It's my workout for the day-putting the stuff IN the cart, then on the belt, then back in the cart, then in the car, then in the house...LOL

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9394 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9394 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  6:28:12 PM  Show Profile
~Jenny,
I've never heard of Bountiful Blessings, is it local to you?

farmgirl sister#43

O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  9:36:26 PM  Show Profile
It is called Bountiful Baskets..... www.bountifulbasket.org I think. It is not just local...it is available in Arizona, Idaho, Nevada and Utah...I think part of Calif and maybe New Mexico too. Awesome value...about $50 worth of produce (6 diff veggies and 6 diff fruits) each week for $16.50. I tend to get two baskets because of big eating teens and the daycare..won't be doing it soon when the garden produce starts rolling in, but it is really alot of help for me!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9394 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9394 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2011 :  05:19:15 AM  Show Profile
thanks Jenny! I think I have heard of something around here similar to that.
A friend at work uses it. I'll have to get with her and find out more.

farmgirl sister#43

O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2011 :  06:09:47 AM  Show Profile
I have to admit I am a groceryshoppingaholic. I love to gather my coupons and go up and down each aisle figuring out wht I can get that is healthy, economic and good to eat. I spend about 450 a month on food (we feed our grands often), but easily save about 200.00 each month using coupons and bogos. Over the years, I have gotten a well-stocked pantry and second fridge; often there will be a week when all I do is get milk and wine (I could buy it by the case, but that seems extreme!). I always go to the Saturday mornning outdoor market and get whatever fresh veggies and fruits are in season. I would rather buy food than clothes or shoes. But I rarely waste anything! We eat it all.

and as for braunschwieger.......eeeeyuuuuuu! :)

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13

Edited by - jpbluesky on Aug 06 2011 06:11:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2011 :  5:04:39 PM  Show Profile

Jenny- Do you find the Bountiful baskets is worth the money? They are starting one in the next town over which is closer to me than some of the others they have around the area. I am little hesistant, because I haven't done it before.

I looked into CSA around here, but that is WAY expensive. I already order through our coop once a month. Sometimes I can go a couple of months without the "big" grocery trip. Just filling in a little around the edges. It takes time to build up a pantry supply to pull it off. Buying in bulk, canning, preserving, etc.

My husband made a comment about a family in our area and just didn't understand how you can run out of food! I just laughed and told him... sweetie, you are just used to living with me. It's the whole provident living and preparation mentality I have. We may not have everything we "want" but we have enough to get what we need. I just hope we are always able to pull it off this way.

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page
  Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic Grocery shopping once a month Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page