countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2011 :  05:39:48 AM  Show Profile
Ugh. I wanted to keep up with my pre-natal care even though I haven't been to the doctor since July. I canceled my glucose sugar test because I don't have any of the signs and I didn't have gestational diabetes with the other two. I spent a half hour discussing this with the nurse midwife and she was in total disagreement. First she tried the statistic thing which of course I had my own stats. Then she tried the age thing, that didn't work so then she went to the scare tactic. Then she tried tying in a different pregnancy symptom that I have been having (heartburn/reflux) and telling me that is a sign of gestation diabetes. I can feel the baby's butt pressing against my stomach. I wonder why I am having heartburn? Maybe baby is just pressing up too hard forcing the stomach acid up the esophagus?!

Anyhow that was so stressful it actually gave me heartburn. I'm not an expert in medical care but I am an expert in knowing my body compared to anyone else. I was pretty upset at that point instead of the reason I had wanted to come in for an ob check in the first place. I've been having some pretty uncomfortable cramping (like what I have at my monthly) for the past week. I wanted to make sure the baby's heart beat was good and all that jazz. Well she wanted to do an exam. So I thought why not. Then she couldn't find my cervix because it was so high up at this point in pregnancy. So when she told me that I told her not to worry about it because that is good because it just means baby needs more time to cook (I'm due November 7)so the cramping must be from something else. Well she wrestled with it anyway, gave me LOTS of pain. Now at this point I'm a volcano ready to pop.

Seriously?! Then she tells me that I'm dilated to 2 and 25% effaced. It's my third baby in as many years, should that worry me?! NO!!!! Honestly she tried scaring me that I could go into early labor but then I brought the fact up that this is my third baby, in three years and I was dilated to 3 and 50% effaced for over 5 weeks with my son (2nd baby). She just tried using the scare tactic on me to still convince me to get the glucose test. Seriously I'm considering forgetting about any more prenatal care because I've totally had it! I felt so disrespected and belittled and that was just at an ob check!!!

Why can't medical care in my area be more like lifeguards instead of constantly interfering? I'm not against medical care, I think that modern medicine has some great things to offer. But it has to not be pushed down people's throats. I was extremely uncomfortable when the CNM brought up the baby's welfare instead of just my own. So many women get abortions in my area its ridiculous. If I don't want to take the test I'm not going to hurt the baby. It's my own decision. No one harasses the women that get those abortions done, then why harass the mother of two that wants to refuse a simple test that doesn't have a life long effect on her or baby?!

Ok ladies, I'm done venting. This was very upsetting to me. I wasn't able to see the normal CNM I see and so I had to see a different one and I'm not going back to her. Now I have to figure out if I am even going to go back to that clinic or find a different clinic all together. I have lots to think about this weekend.

Thanks for listening!!!

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2011 :  8:55:53 PM  Show Profile
OMG! She should not be doing vaginal exams at this point in pregnancy! She can cause all those things she said! UHG! My current dr won't do vaginal till you are at least 38 weeks! Cause it can cause labor. Unless you are having serious issues, like say bleeding, or you think you are miscarrying or going into labor, I would say refuse any more vaginal exams, till you are ready to go into labor!

That being said, I too disagree with the glucose tolerance tests, they are the stupidest things now! I mean back when I was little I see where they were handy as that was one of the only ways to test for diabetes. Now there is many more ways. If it makes her feel any better, why not go to a drug store and get a FREE glucose meter. Most are free, if you buy one bottle of the testing strips. Or just buy the cheapest machine they have. (they usually aren't that badly priced and often have coupons for them). Take your morning blood glucose once a week one hour after breakfast (that is when it will be the highest). If it is over 100 then you may need further medical help. If not, then you are probably normal and won't need any help. Why I don't believe in the tolerance tests, is IF in fact you are a diabetic, you are putting a lot of stress on your body bringing up your blood glucose as high as you possibly can! That's not good for you or baby!

Any way, heart burn, I just read in a magazine at the drs office, a Dr. Oz article. I have never had heart burn any of my other pregnancies, had it all the way through this pregancy. Dr. Oz said that you get heart burn during pregnancy cause your body releases a hormone that makes your uterus stretchy enough to stretch enough to hold a baby. Well, this makes perfect sense to me. My other pregnancies you couldn't even tell I was pregnant, as I really barely stretched at all! My belly was small the whole time pretty much. This time it just jetted out there, and I've been the biggest this pregnancy ever! I think I must be releasing MORE of those stretchy hormones allowing my uterus to stretch more. Any way, oh yeah, Dr. Oz said that hormone also makes other things more stretchy, for instance that flap that keeps the acid down in your stomache so it flips up more and allows the acid to come back back! Nothing about diabetes! So hope that is all helpful!

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

marthajane
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Anna
Orlando FL
USA
196 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2011 :  9:37:16 PM  Show Profile
Hello Mommies! Yes I had that diabeties check. I have low blood sugar, and no one in my family has diabeties, but they just sell you on it as sop. Too bad theres so much uncaringness in nursing these days. I dont know where they find these people! God help us!
When my Oliver was born of course they immediately started sticking things into him checking this and that. I would not have gone to the hospital if Id known they were going to be so invasive!
He was a perfectly normal looking child. Its like they just couldnt wait to see him suffer or cry. Or maybe they are not used to seeing normal. I dont know what. They said his sugar was 1 point too low they had to give him glucose, the 50 number was all they wanted to see and his was 49 got to do something about that asap. ooo
I appreciate the potential of modern medicine too, but who is caring enough to balance the comfort zone of the baby with the precision of the perfect numbers? And not to mention my comfort zone. I have a human being to bond with and nurture, and they just see a receptacle for their experiments and charts/data. I felt very weird having alot of strangers handling my baby and influencing him wo my permission.
Honestly I am sorry if I sound like a complainer, but this in my opinion is just the tip of the iceberg of how many local practitioners carry out their healthcare. Just conform to what they want, esp when it comes to the babies. We are in a weird time where really I think it can be dangerous. So many people think they have as much or more right to what your child needs as mother.
What can be done?

Happiness IS being a MoM
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2011 :  11:46:27 PM  Show Profile
I know I hate that too Martha. Personally I have never been made to do the tolerance tests thank goodness! I always refuse them, and I take my blood glucose at home regularly so they say ok-plus they also take my blood glucose anytime they do tests on me and they can see how normal/unnormal it is then, they usually do a HA1C (which tells them the approx blood glucose for the past 3 months) and a finger stick (tells them the exact number at that particular time). And they seem to be happy enough with those.

Since I am a diabetic though they like to stick my kids a LOT. I hate it! I do understand it though for their own safety. However, what I was mad at, is in NYC they used a razor blade on the foot every hour, for 24 hours to do this. It takes my childrens feet MONTHS to heal from this! They are all scared up and VERY sensitive for months. I mean you can't even put socks on them or anything with out them crying for months!

Since I am a diabetic, I know there is lancets (a instrument made to poke the skin enough to produce blood-enough for these glucose meter tests) and lancet machines that are not as deep or as intrusive and just break the skin enough to get the little bitty dot of blood they need. And doesn't do the damage and is almost painless, as it's what I use. On soft baby skin they could probably put it on it's lowest depth setting and get PLENTY of blood needed. I bought brand NEW ones, still in the box unopened for them to use on my babies and they said no, hospital policy they had to use clean razor blades. Makes me ill! I was very very upset about it. :( I just don't understand that, when the thing I had is actually made for testing blood glucose! They also want to always do that to me too use those old big things to cut me for the test, but I refuse and will only use my own lancet. However.......in NYC they threaten to not let you take the baby home or call child welfare when you don't bend to what they want when it comes to the babies. :(

Edited by - MagnoliaWhisper on Sep 17 2011 11:47:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2011 :  08:56:46 AM  Show Profile
What makes doctors and midwifes practice the way they do has a lot to do with lawyers and covering their fannys.
Preterm labor is tricky and sneaky, so any cramping that continues and gets worse is a reason for a vaginal exam, or a speculum exam. You do not want to check any one who is bleeding heavily unless you know where that placenta is. Gestional diabetes id dangerous because it can lead to stillbirths, large babies. I know I am totally sounding like a medical person here but these are important things to be aware of. Having said that, I have seen several friends who have successful home births and wonderful lay midwives.
Just be careful, and informed.

....it's what's inside a women, when she's up against the land.

Farmgirl #680!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/lessielouise22
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2011 :  09:46:12 AM  Show Profile
You are right on all counts. However, with the diabetes, it is VERY dangerous for sure, but there is more ways then the tolerance tests to check for this. I don't see how raising some one's blood glucose as high as you possibly can get it, to check for diabetes is a "good" way to go. I think there is better tests out there now. Back in the day there was not many glucometers available, you almost had to go to a hospital for a tolerance test for such. There was only really the keytone strips available back then, and that only gives you the reading 3 hours before you peed. Now glucometers are readily available to almost any one. And it's so easy to just check your blood glucose each morning, after you eat "regularly" and not just sugar/glucose. If you are indeed diabetic, all that glucose will make you literally ill. I know it did me when I was little. I would throw up for long periods of time. When you are diabetic it's not good to consume that much glucose.

Go to Top of Page

marthajane
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Anna
Orlando FL
USA
196 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2011 :  3:14:32 PM  Show Profile
Hey Heather, Just want to say how terrible that is the use of those razor blades. Thats just inhumane.
I had something similar, as I said my sons blood sugar was 1 point below 50, and they gave him a little bit of sugar on his tongue, every so often. Now one would think common sense would raise that the one point within what I dont know just a wild guess maybe a day?
But oh no, all week long they had to poke his heel to check the blood sugar. They would use a small lancet but they had to get a vial full of blood so they would squeeze and squeeze and squeeze until they got all that blood they wanted. Ok that may be reasonable for the second check right.
But no they had to do this 2 x a day for a week, so guess what? It wasnt too long until a big black bruise developed on his heel. And thats not all, no they still kept sticking the needle into his bruised heel 2x a day and milking it for his blood.
Then they want to counsel us on how to breastfeed, and wonder and worry why he doesnt respond normally to the breastfeeding.
The stress and duress that normal healthy babies are under is inhumane, and should be punishable. I was not asked if I wanted these proceedures for my son. And Im sure even if I had refused they would have threatened me with something like you said Heather.
I am so worried about the harm of this psychological stress on babies. We dont know how this affects their psyche in the long term.
But I do know that there is a insolent lack of respect for protocol in hospitals: they are supposed to get informed consent on any non life threatening proceedures. And its just common courtesy.

Happiness IS being a MoM
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2011 :  8:04:13 PM  Show Profile
That's awful, I also know from my own experience with insulin shots it's very painful to poke where there is already a bruise. Poor baby! UHG. I hate the mentality that a lot of medical field have with children/babies. (since they are so young they assume they will bounce back and not remember). I know for one my children remember at least something partially for a long time. I know my youngest DD when she was only a couple of days old, I was breast feeding her and the hospital lactation consultant came up with out asking and squeezed my breast and said this is how you do breast compression. Um........ok I knew how do that already, and we could of done that when baby was NOT just learning to nurse. And we could of ASKED me first! DD was a preemie-4 months early! And she was doing really well nursing at the time, and just getting the hang of it (harder for preemies), and she nearly choked, she started sputtering and choking. And literally the rest of our nursing together she never liked that breast at all. It took me a good three months to get her to even try nursing off it then she was always leary. She would always hold back and not use it much at all. Before that she didn't seem to mind trying on that side. I know some people would think me crazy, but I just have to think that traumatized her a bit, she may not remember exactly what happened over there, but she remembered enough to know she didn't like that side!

Go to Top of Page

marthajane
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Anna
Orlando FL
USA
196 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  11:47:07 AM  Show Profile
Helo again! Boy this seems to be an endless discussion! Thats ok with me, I am so glad I can share this experience with others who understand...because thats the only way to find validation.
So sorry about your experience Heather, yes thats what happened to me too. That was just so naughty of her to touch you without asking. And so inappropriate. Sorry for your dear baby too. Thats just not nice.
I wonder how they get away with this stuff. So wrong.
At least we have the knowledge to be sensitive, and maybe one day that will be some kind of comfort or give some insight for future caregivers. What we are talking about is an insult to the concept.
Best wishes to all for the protection of the divine spirits we are blessed to give birth to, and the courage to stand up for them and ourselves, in a very pushy world.
Good luck all, I sincerely hope that all is well with the ones who are carrying and wish that the strength of the almighty himself will get you an experience of being treated respectfully and lovingly.
Be with those that love you, and listen only to them. Also someone on another page tagline says "never spend time with those who dont respect you"
blessings

Happiness IS being a MoM
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2011 :  07:59:09 AM  Show Profile
Well no luck yet finding a new doctor I do have two leads I have to check out yet so I am hoping one of them pans out!!! I totally understand how some medical personnel do act and treat people the way they do considering how law suit happy our society tends to be but there still is something called informed consent and for some of the vaccines I have opted out of (like the HPV vaccine for example) I had to sign a waiver stating I knew the risks as told to me by the doctor of not getting the vaccine and by not getting it I can't come back and sue the doctor or the clinic because I am making an informed decision to go against the recommended health care plan. I would have been totally fine signing a paper stating that the cnm made her case I am making an informed decision to not follow her recommended health care plan so if anything happens she and the clinic wouldn't be reliable. I wonder when they quit doing those informed papers especially since the HPV vaccine is pretty new yet.

Well at any rate I am confident that my decision to get prenatal care elsewhere is the right decision for me and baby. I found out that just because someone is a nurse midwife doesn't mean they are natural. I guess it pays to do your research and just because one practitioner at a clinic believes one way, doesn't mean their colleague does! I'm so glad this appointment happened at a point in my pregnancy while late as it is I can still find a different clinic where their way of doing things is closer to mine in case something were to happen and I had to give birth in the hospital. I would have been madder than a hornet in a rain storm if I got a surprise episiotomy after having 2 normal births without one just because a midwife said it was necessary... Yeah, it pays to do your research :) And on a personal note I believe birth control is a highly personal subject that some people just need to keep their noses out of. I mean, this is just my opinion and yeah, I'm quite irritated by her telling me that it would be irresponsible of me to refuse birth control after this baby even after I told her my husband and I plan on 4 kids and this being number 3. That really isn't her place to be telling me what is responsible or not, especially since she doesn't know me and I'm am sooo healthy. I'm a little sad because I'm on #3 and that means I will only have one more pregnancy after this baby is born because I love, love, love the little baby stage but we are only planning on 4 and unless my husband changes his mind that is all we are having... I'd love to have 6 or more but both my husband and I are still young yet. Not to mention my kids are very well behaved, very healthy (we had one cold this entire year!), they are developing so well I don't see how that is irresponsible... I could understand her making that statement if my kids were out of hand, or if one or both had medical issues or if I had consistently high risk pregnancies, etc. but everything is healthy.

Oh well. I'm done harping on the lady and I just hope she softens up and doesn't scare any moms to be into a birth plan that they really don't want. Ghandi said to "Be the change you want to see in the world". Maybe I will do just that. Back in high school I had thought about going to med school only to be turned off by the length but after going through the experiences I have gone through and I'm only mid 20's right now I'm seriously considering continuing my education. I'm only a year away from finishing my bachelors degree then I could go on to med school so its not like I have to start from scratch, except I wouldn't really want to get involved with school until all my kids are in school because these formative years are so critical to the kiddos. Lots to think about here. I was accepted into nursing school after a two year waiting list but I dropped out when I got pregnant with my daughter because morning sickness was so horrible I had to quit my job too. (morning sickness has never came back like it did with her!Thankfully!) Well anyway I have lots to think about but I will think on these things and continue talking to my husband about them and see what we should do. If you happen to think of me say a pray so we can make the best decision for our little family regarding me continuing my schooling and being a wife and mommy.

Thanks ladies for listening to me vent on my bad day last Friday and also for your stories and for your advice and encouragement!!!

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2011 :  10:12:52 AM  Show Profile
Very true Martha and Krystal. It is sad what sue happy people have done to health care. I know personally from my dad being a RN and mom a dr. My dad said for instance that he knows skin to skin touch is very healing to people, just being able to give a hug, or squeeze a hand could actually help some one get physically better, and he's a MICU nurse (used to be a NICU nurse for many years). But, he said even though they even teach this in his nursing classes, about hugs/hand holding, etc. That he can NOT do that at work with his patients, even if he feels it may help them hang on a little longer, and help them physically, cause he could be charged with sexual harassment! Even though he wouldn't be touching their private parts or anything. Another time, I was in diabetic keytone acidoses, and had a horrible yeast infection (side effect of high blood glucose), and they had me hooked up to so much stuff, I wasn't allowed to get out of bed at all, and I could barely move because of all the machines, and IVs I had. So I personally couldn't medicate myself down there, and I called the nurse to come and put the medication on me, and I had a male nurse.........took him hours to find a female nurse do to the job. Personally at that point I could of cared less, the medical condition I was in, and as bad as I looked (like death, when I was finally allowed out of bed, I was gray in color, looked like something painted up for halloween zombie!) he would of had to of been one sick person to want to do anything "sexual" to me! lol I wasn't even thinking about such, I just wanted that medication to help the pain. And he said he couldn't do it cause he was male......I mean......I thought we were just there for medical care, I wasn't thinking of all the sexual stuff! UHG! Again sue happy people. Don't get me wrong, I do know people get sexually abused, but to have to wait for medical care because of the assumption every one will do that...is a sad state to be in!

Any way....yes find some one different. I found my dr based on referrals from my LLL meeting. I love him!

About birth control, I am still mad as a wet hen about DD1, they didn't explain to me at ALL about how BC can cause you to lose milk production. and just acted like I had to get BC, so they gave me a shot before I even left the hospital, my milk production took a nose dive and didn't recover, three months later the dr said I needed another KNEW I was breastfeeding (pumping milk at least) and again no warnings, supply took another hit, with out recovery! Thankfully I learned from a online group about BC and milk supply! However, I will say that's the reason I am pregnant right now! This was not a planned one I was still breastfeeding, but not on BC. I had planned on waiting another year till DD2 was a bit older (older then 1 lol). Oh well our grandparents and all the generations before them lived with out BC. What eva!

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2011 :  10:17:38 AM  Show Profile
Oh and BTW as long as baby is still breastfeeding through the night it's very unlikely you will even ovulate to get pregnant! My husband thinks I got pregnant cause of the stress of moving across country. He thinks that my body may of lost some milk production, and may of brought my cycle back earlier then it normally would of. As before I have nursed up to 2 years with out any cycle/no pregnancy! However, the minute (literally with in a week!) of discontinuing nursing I get preggo! lol This time I was still nursing, and even through the night, but my body was under a LOT of stress with the move, and my brother was getting married, etc etc.

Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2011 :  12:26:09 PM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I found this link today, and thought of this discussion. I don't know how helpful it will ne for you, but I loved it. Amazing support, and more from my view, personally in delivering MY baby. So many of my Dr's got to make every call, every choice...even who could stand next to me, and who couldn't. My DH was not even permitted to stay the night due to overcrowded L&D!! Twice in a row!

http://www.trustbirth.com/beliefs.html

The tears I shed then, watered the flowers I harvest now.

www.broken908.blogspot.com
http://forums.familyfriendpoems.com/broken908

"The aim of education is the knowledge not of facts but of values."-Dean William Ralph Inge
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2011 :  3:44:01 PM  Show Profile
Oh my Annette, you are ALWAYS allowed a advocate to be with, you by law NEVER have to be alone! They have tried to do that with my husband in the past, and he went with it. I told him NEVER do that again, it's the law that if I say I want him there they HAVE to let him. He said he didn't know that, they made it sound like they would call the police if he stayed. I called my mom ASAP, to make sure I had the law right, and she said I did, and to tell them to go ahead and call the police, it was my right to have at least ONE advocate with me at all times. After that they have never been able to bully him out again, but in NYC they tried it more then once as well!

Go to Top of Page

marthajane
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Anna
Orlando FL
USA
196 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2011 :  5:15:09 PM  Show Profile
Hey Everyone! I guess its been a few days and I thought of some more peeves...Thanks to you all for sharing, this really helps me.
As always Heather you have a wealth of information, and I almost always totally agree with you...
I just wanted to pick on one thing, sue happy people & what they have done to health care?
I dont know bc I probably am not informed about the things you are bc your parents are in healthcare...so correct me if I am wrong.
It seems to me not enough people sue.
Like what happened to my baby at the hospital, I would think that was an issue that should be brought to light in order to help others see what happened, and can happen again.
The nurse left the baby under a heat lamp beside my bed while I was sleeping, with out the sensors on him. The sensors are what attach to the skin to monitor the temp.
He didnt have them on bc when I woke and alarm was sounding, I took him out without having to remove anything from off of him. And since he only had on a diaper, he WAS burned over the majority of his body, not his personals thank God.
This means that the sensors must have been hot even tho they werent attached to him, and probably HE was even hotter than that. My old pediatrician said the sensors should tell the unit to cut off but the light and the heat it produces were still very much on, and the alarm going off too, and the nurse no where in sight.
Two of the nurses veritably ran me out of the hospital, crying I was crazy, just to get the attention off what they did. Its a shame people have to be that dirty. Admit when youre wrong for the ones who have suffered sake. If you care or are in healthcare this is called ETHICS.
And I also dont appreciate not being informed or asked nicely if I would consent to anything done to my child. This is disrespectful.
I HOPE FOR THE BEST FOR ALL OF YOU AND THOSE NEWBIES!
I TRULY DESIRE THE BEST FOR ALL OF YOU AND THOSE CHILDREN!

Happiness IS being a MoM
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2011 :  03:19:01 AM  Show Profile
Oh I totally agree with you, I think there is times to sue. In fact, I wish (and so do my parents) that I had sued a few drs in the past that I didn't. (just cause at the time I didn't feel like emotionally taking it on). What I mean by sue happy people, is people who sue who don't have real grounds, yet so many will just for money and then it makes things change that didn't need changing. Again I can totally understand suing a dr who actually does sexually assault you. That's wrong and should NEVER happen, and I in fact do know of one woman who was for sure sexually assaulted by medical staff (no way around believing her, as she was VERY mentally handicap, and was impregnated in the mental hospital by a staff member-she was my age, but did NOT have the mental capability to give permission for sex, believe me she was the mind of about 3 year old, still does, and her mother ended up having to raise the child). Any way, I think you probably have grounds too. I just meant that a lot of people cry wolf just for money and then things like giving hugs gets shut down.

I think the sad part is a lot of us who have real grounds probably let it go and those things actually need to be changed, and other people who have no real grounds are the ones who don't mind going to court and then get things that wasn't a problem changed.

I'll never forget one day I was at the grocery store and this lady fell, and I ran to her to help her (I was a teenager) and she yelled at me to get back and go get a manager, she had sued before and she was going to sue again, and I was NOT to touch her! In the end, I got the very impression that it was not a real fall......made me ill. Then when I lived in NYC the schools ended up having to keep the lights on 24 hours a day cause once during the night a burglar broke into one of the schools to steal the computers, and broke his leg cause it was too dark in there. And the court actually awarded him a settlement and then ordered all the public schools in NYC to keep the lights on 24/7 which now in turn has caused a lot of financial problems, that have to go towards electric rather then the kids education. Stupidest thing I ever heard in my life!

Go to Top of Page

marthajane
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Anna
Orlando FL
USA
196 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2011 :  3:32:27 PM  Show Profile
Heather You have Got to be kidding!
Are those real stories? I have heard of them, but honestly never could fully believe that an actual court would make a ruling in favor of the criminal like that-does not make sense! WHAT?
I will need to see that information to believe it! That is so bizarre!
OK since its obviously going to take some time to get my mind around that one, I'll move on! But I will say that its not impossible considering that our society's understanding of justice is so warped right now.
BTW just for those who care, what the Child Protective Services is doing is all highly unconstitutional. The 14 amendment says, NO STATE SHALL MAKE OR ENFORCE ANY LAW WHICH SHALL ABRIDGE THE PRIVILEDGES AND IMMUNITIES OF CITIZENS OF THE UNITED STATES...goes on to talk about due process and innocent until proven guilty.
Social workers all over this country are abusing the people of states, harassing them and penalizing innocent parents bc they are ignorant of this yet un-defined part of the 14th. just to let anyone know who is interested, and see if anyone has feedback to help me know, how would this go about becoming more accurately defined. It affects us all eventually, even lawyers are getting CPS called on them, and now some of them will hopefully help me figure out how to get the federal or states attention on this or maybe a petition will work?
Can see your points about the lawsuits, good hearing from you.
You are absolutely right, it is a major emotional struggle to carry the suit or not, so eventually I guess I'll have to do it.
My problem is I cannot seem to shop for lawyers!
I Love shopping dont get me wrong! But cannot shop for lawyers!
Interestingly, I do happen to know like 4 patent attorneys. What are the chances of that?
Good Luck All, Best to You!

Happiness IS being a MoM
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2011 :  09:17:02 AM  Show Profile
Ok here's an update: I had the baby on 11-2-11!!! She was 7 pounds 15 ounces and 20.5 inches long and was born at 1:30 in the morning!!! I wasn't able to have a home birth with this one as I started bleeding so we went into the hospital. Turned out to be a blessing in disguise as not only was the placenta un attaching at one side prematurely but I also started to bleed heavily after baby's birth because of the whole placenta thing. I didn't have to have an IV, and while they did monitor the baby quite often I had a very short labor and 20 minutes of pushing. I was able to birth the baby on my hands and knees and move around. I didn't have any intense sensations until transition and that is when I finally knew I was in labor! I had a great experience and I'm so thankful for the nurses that were on duty because they were so supportive of my decision to do natural child birth and after the birth they didn't bug me at all besides to come in and check on the baby for their hospital baby vital signs checks. No complaints about the hospital this time. While it would have been wonderful to stay home, my labor was so short it didn't really matter because it wasn't like I was laboring for hours in the hospital. So to keep the story as short as possible despite the placenta ordeal the birth went fabulous, baby is healthy and we are bonding together as a family wonderfully! It's great! My two other kids just love their baby sister and are so very gentle with her I tear up thinking about it! I got some really cute pictures for my scrapbooks of them and baby "sissa". While this hospital birth was totally opposite my other two experiences I still would love to have a home water birth. Maybe with the next one! Hope everyone is well and has a great Thanksgiving week!

Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2011 :  09:49:42 AM  Show Profile
Wonderful news! Congratulations!

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
Farmgirl Sister #88

Blogs:
http://omgsitstasharose.wordpress.com

[url=http://lilypie.com][/url]

Go to Top of Page

star-schipp
True Blue Farmgirl

942 Posts

Starletta
Middletown Indiana
USA
942 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2011 :  1:01:21 PM  Show Profile
Another option - which is the one I chose was to have the birth at a hospital with a midwife but she actually let my husband do the delivery. It seemed like the best of all worlds....I was only intermittently monitored...mostly, I think because I was 40 years old and was having a big baby....but no meds, no IV, no augmentation, no epidural and needless to say a husband who was pretty proud of himself all the way around....He still tells our boys that he "rescued them" LOL

If you can't feed one hundred people, then just feed one. -Mother Teresa

Star - farmgirl sister #1927

Master Food Preserver
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2011 :  1:20:40 PM  Show Profile
Another option still...which I have done twice, (thrice if you count my MC of Rune): Unassisted Home Birth....

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
Farmgirl Sister #88

Blogs:
http://omgsitstasharose.wordpress.com

[url=http://lilypie.com][/url]

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2011 :  4:29:37 PM  Show Profile
CONGRATS! I had a great hospital birth this time too, very little intervention. I could of even had him in a jacuzzi but I was too tired. I could barely sleep the night before. Plus the birth went so fast, I always wanted a water birth though, maybe next time. This time I just didn't want to move from laying on my side in the bed and they were fine with that. I had the baby in a few minutes as well.

Go to Top of Page

marthajane
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Anna
Orlando FL
USA
196 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2011 :  08:07:10 AM  Show Profile
Hello Again! YAY, it's fun to have the topic current again!
Way to go Krystle! You got your little bundle of joy! Glad for you.
I wanted to comment on the water birth. I don't know much about it, I always thought it would be a very convenient way to birth...however, when I went into labor (at home), I tried the bathtub (it actually took me longer to get in and get out than I actually spent in there) because it actually made my pain much worse. I don't know if it was just my particular baby who didn't like it or if there's something else to it that I don't know. But that was an excrutiating lesson! Whew!
The alternative was really great. I wore a jersey knit (sweatsuit), which was SO comfortable BTW. I will not look to water birth now that I know how easily everything cleans up after a home birth.
In the months afterwards, I had so much fun laying my baby in his kiddie pool. He loved to kick and wiggle in the baby tubs on his back! I put just enough water in to not too much, if he feels uncomfortable he won't have fun, make sure the room is warm enough so he don't get chilled/seal off any drafts! My baby would entertain himself easily for an hour and more this way as I monitored him to make sure he didn't get too much water in his eyes or mouth from the splashing! This gave me some hands free time.
I also found this was a good way to keep his nose clean, because the little drops of water he kicked up would loosen any buildup and I could remove it very easily.
Just a little home made fun, here's to a happy baby!

Happiness IS being a MOM
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2011 :  09:53:57 AM  Show Profile
Thanks everyone :) I do want to say that we were actually planning an Unassisted Homebirth and I was super disappointed we couldn't do it. I wouldn't discourage anyone from going that route just because I couldn't do it the first time we were going to try it but I do highly recommend you get educated and have the proper things for "just in case". I had herbs ready with my birthing kit just in case I did bleed but I knew that heavy bright red bleeding isn't good and if I had a midwife at my house I could have probably stayed at home but since no midwives really come up this way (at least the ones I really liked) the only alternative was the hospital. Either way I believe pregnant women need to be educated on pregnancy and birth so they can form their own opinions and know for themselves what they feel would be too much intervention and also when to go to the hospital. But anyways I'd love to try an UA birth with one of my next babies, just because of what happened with this one didn't scare me away and I think it's so neat that someone on this forum actually did that! Super neat!!!

I love hearing what you ladies have to say, its so interesting! Thanks a mil! :D

Go to Top of Page

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2011 :  01:25:37 AM  Show Profile
Oh, congrats! I bet the new babe is utterly adorable.

I'm guessing you don't need help/anecdotes with birthing stories anymore (I had a horrible hospital birth with my 8yo, wonderful homebirths with my 5.5yo, 3.5yo and 21mo, wouldn't change a thing about the last ones, other than I could've done without the 18 hour labor with the baby). :)

Lanna, homeschooling mama to four little monkeys that still try to jump on the bed
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Homebirth Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page