True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2011 :  9:08:37 PM  Show Profile
That's great Carole.

Jen, I think I'm pretty low maintenance too. I personally wanted LOWER maintenance in the hospital but things were forced on me. For instance, all during the pregnancy I wanted to "meet" (just once, not over and over, or anything, I just wanted to know who he was, see him and make sure we were on the same page) the doctor who would deliver me. And they said, no I couldn't that wasn't their policy (I was only allowed to see his nurse the whole pregnancy). I wanted to ask things, like what would happen if I was in too much pain, I have rods in my back and there for can't have a epi like other people and such. So the first pregnancy I wasn't sure how I would handle the pain (thankfully I don't have any!). Any way, as the labor progressed and after I broke water, I still wasn't allowed yet to meet the doctor who would deliver, I was still only allowed to talk to the nurse, so I started asking the nurse questions like what are we going to do for pain, etc. And after a few questions she said you are too nervous let me give you something for your nerves. (she said nerves remember this!) I said ok.......and then AFTER she injected me, she said ok now you will sleep for the next 4 hours when you wake up you will give birth! I was like what what? And then then! They sent my husband home!!!!!!!!!!!!! After I had fallen asleep! (I barely stayed awake two seconds after she gave me the shot, that's how strong it was!). I woke up 20 minutes later in full blown labor and they were asking ME where my husband was. I said I didn't know, wasn't he in the room with me? And they said no, then the dr says he sent him home! I had to fight HARD very HARD to stay awake! I couldn't hardly stay awake for the birth cause of that shot! Then after the birth I fell asleep and didn't wake up for 8 hours. I had wanted to breast feed right after birth, but instead they forced my dd to drink from a bottle and I never could get her to breastfeed after that, I had to pump milk for the next 2 years for her!

My idea of my birth plan, was to give birth, with my husband there, be awake! And breastfeed my baby afterwards. I think that was pretty simple and would of been easy enough, and low maintenance. And I just always took it as a given before that that people got to meet the dr before hand, not just see a nurse.

But, things can be sooooooo different then what you see on TV! lol

And yeah, around NYC every thing is charged. They never gave my husband any meals! lol They wouldn't even give me food. I begged for food for two days. Finally I asked my husband to just go buy some, and when I made my order to my husband about what to get, the nurse said you shouldn't eat that that's just junk! I hadn't eaten in two days! I really didn't care, I just wanted a boat load of food! lol I almost felt like biting the nurse at that point! lol haha

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

marthajane
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Anna
Orlando FL
USA
196 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2011 :  09:05:00 AM  Show Profile
wow, some of these stories make the skin crawl,
and mine is just as bad...but bc I got a beautiful, healthy baby boy out of it, it has its happy ending...and I am grateful..
for my body which has the power to bring forth that new life!
Thats what were all talking about, and what unfortunately many people do not appreciate
and thats sad when these people are getting paid good money to facilitate the process but cant control their meanness.
Thank GOD that doctor caught the baby who came out like a missile!
Thats what my son did when we delivered...my pushes were uncontrollable, and automatic, i was lying on my bed and when it was his time to exit he came flying out...a little bundle of joy!
I gave birth at home and then went to the hospital..that last part was a huge mistake...im not going to be able to keep myself from posting again to tell all the details bc it is quite a story too.
This is a great topic and I hope we can share more together and maybe even start a support club for all women who labor to empowerment...
best wishes to all and best of luck

Happiness IS being a MoM
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2011 :  12:49:13 AM  Show Profile
Martha a support group sounds like a Great idea.

sorry that you had a huge mistake about going to the hospital afterwards. :( I would like to hear more though when you are ready. It is empowering for sure.

Go to Top of Page

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2011 :  03:52:35 AM  Show Profile
Yikes, Heather - sorry to hear about that, but I can sympathize. With my 3rd daughter I did my typical thing where I was "stuck" at 3 cm during labor for a LONG time and I was in a lot of pain and the L and D nurse said she wouldn't even call my doctor and relay my repeated requests for an epi because I wasn't "far enough along." When I finally started getting really mad at her she gave me an injection "for my nerves" and it made me start to hallucinate AND did nothing for the pain! I spent the next 5 hours like that before it wore off and just when I was able to come to my senses again my daughter was ready to be born. Only, of course, they wouldn't believe me and I had to yell that I felt her head pressing there and they finally checked and were shocked I was telling the truth! With my 4th daughter I went into the hospital at 6 am and labored at 3 cm all day - I told everyone that was my pattern and I would jump to 10 and ready to push without warning and no one believed me. Of course, I was right and she was born around 9 pm and my husband and I were overjoyed. We were tucked into a postpartum room by 10 pm and after all that hard work I was starving, of course, and the staff said, "Sorry, hospital kitchen is closed for the day - you can get breakfast in the morning....". I asked if we couldn't even get tea and crackers and they said, "Nope, sorry, put a food order in in the morning." After all those hours and hours of labor I had no food - and neither did my husband - and nothing was open near the hospital, either, so my husband couldn't even go out to get anything to bring back. The only vending machines he could find around were for soft drinks and I certainly didn't want those. So, we had nothing but ice water until 8:30 the next morning and by then I was lightheaded - and I had been nursing my newbie daughter all night, too.

Farmgirl Sister #3243

"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." - Laura Ingalls Wilder
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2011 :  05:40:34 AM  Show Profile
Wow Suzanne, that is crazy they wouldn't feed you! I mean seriously!!! I had a hard time with both my labors in the hospital because I was so hungry I needed something to help me but no, only clear liquids. Oh well. With my first they threatened c-section because my water broke and I wasn't going into labor even after being on pitocin for a day. But again I had gone into premature labor at 28 weeks with her which they were able to stop, put me on bed rest until 36 weeks and my water broke the day before I was 37 weeks and I got up after that happened and fed all our animals (at that time we had a horse, pigs, chickens, ducks, dogs and a cat). So I had to haul water buckets, feed, hay, etc. I figured since my water broke the extra activity would help me go into labor faster but it didn't. So crazy they got mad at me when we finally went to the hospital 4-5 hours later. Haha, I didn't even wake up my husband I let him sleep in until like 8!!! So my water broke at about 3:30-4 and when nothing else happened by 6 I fed our animals. hahaha I knew I was going to be there over the weekend so I couldn't see the animals so I wanted to feed them. Well anyhow the next day they told me if I don't have the baby by 4 or 5 they were going to schedule me for a c-section. Seriously, I would have walked out of the hospital at that point I was that sassy with #1. Not sure why I wasn't so picky with #2 but after not having anything to eat and being so overtired (I went into labor with him at 39 weeks 6 days, haha) I went out strawberry picking and canned over 14 pints of jam plus got a bunch in the freezer, then made dinner and went out for ice cream. I went into labor eating my ice cream! It happened so hard and fast I was like in a daze and I wanted something with more substance (seriously, how far does ice cream get you?!) but I should have been smart and stopped at the gas station but at that point we were 2 hours away from the hospital because we drove 45 minutes to a resort to get icecream. Anyhow I thought for sure I was going to have baby #2 in the truck on the way down to the hospital but once they gave me the epidural even though I didn't want it my labor slowed down MAJORLY. I mean within 2 hours I was dilated to 5.5 once they gave me the epidural it took almost 5 hours to finish it off. I wasn't happy at all. So I was hungry, then they gave me pain killer in addtion to the epidural which made me totally off my rocker so I was hallucinating. It's like seriously people. I swear they remembered me and gave me the pain killer right away so I couldn't be in my right mind but whatever. It's done can't go back but I can make a difference this time :) Anyway I have to get off the computer and get the kids ready to run some errands in town because today is going to be another super busy pre-fair day!!! Love hearing your stories!!! :)

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page

marthajane
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Anna
Orlando FL
USA
196 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2011 :  12:06:09 PM  Show Profile
My experience of the hospital was bad. Id never been admitted to the hospital. Anyway major reason I hated it was the mandatory 2 day stay they MAke you do, which is seriously absurd for them to be THAT controlling
Then, since Id labored all night and Oliver was born at 430 AM I fell asleep while the nurse checked his vitals, dont know I just was exhausted, I woke up to this beeping sound. The nurse had put Oliver under a light, a heat light, and put him beside my bed on a little table. When I saw the light fixture was where the beeping was coming from I sat up put my hand out to feel this light emanation, and my skin immediately began "crawling"...I could tell the thing was an alarm, beeping but I couldnt turn it off, so I took Oliver out and pulled the nurse button. When they came in I showed them how red his body was and how hot but no one at the hospital ever believed me or apologized or tried to make it right or treat him for this what I consider to be a maybe minor burn, bc he didnt blister, but he was only like 1 hour old! We realize how tender that skin is...Id did just come from inside a persons body...
So I am in lingo, nobody wants to admit these heaters cause harm, everyones in denial, or demented, and the poor little babies.
I used to work at a deli, where we made rotisserie chicken, this is the same kind of heat light system that is used.
Go figure, like I said there is alot of information, but so much ignorance.
Thats it for now, thanks for your response Heather, I appreciate getting to vent this a little.
Blessings

Happiness IS being a MoM
Go to Top of Page

marthajane
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Anna
Orlando FL
USA
196 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2011 :  12:13:26 PM  Show Profile
I forgot I wanted to thank you Krystle, I spent alot of time giggling at your sassy attitude. Love IT!
And those other stories about the rudeness...heights of rudeness.
Lets agree its a good idea to carry food in our purses right?

Happiness IS being a MoM
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2011 :  5:05:49 PM  Show Profile
Oh believe me, I learned to pack food! I packed my last suitcase full of food! lol haha Then to my surprise I was given a really nice room, the first one on the maternity floor that was finished. They were redoing the hospital and making them more like hotel rooms (NYC hospitals were suffering, people not going, and many were closing due to lack of funds, so some hospitals were trying to step it up to get people to choose them), any way it had a mini fridge and a microwave! lol I had the fridge stocked with every thing I had brought! lol

That being said, like was brought out I kind of have taken each one as a learning experience. I do NOT accept any injections for my "nerves" any more! I also go out to eat before going and admitting myself to the hospital! hahaha Last time I went to all you can eat and filled up! I am not worried about a c-section messing that up. Because that no food rule is out dated for when they used to knock women out for birth, they don't do that any more (except apparently with my DD1!), you no longer get general anestesia, so there is no reason to not eat. Even with a C section you are fully awake so if you were to throw up you could just turn your head, and not "choke". However, that was implemented when they did used to give general anestesia, and they just have never given up that stupid rule! A few hospitals who are "with" it have, but by and large most are living in the dark ages still about it!

Martha they can't "make" you stay they can say they can, but you can refuse at any time, and walk out at any time, the only thing is sometimes they threaten that insurance won't pay if you do, OR they may call child welfare! UHG!

Just as a little FYI I've read most birthing centers release you with in 4 hours after birth.

I know my step mother she was always released with in 4 hours and back to full steam ahead! However, she is a bit more energetic then most people. What I mean by full steam ahead, literally she gives birth, a few hours later gets up and goes back to work! Literally one day I got a phone call my little brother had been born, and I said I wanted to talk to my step mother and my dad said, oh she went back to work, she's doing rounds at the hospital right now (she's a doctor), and I said well when did she have him, did you wait a long time to call me? And he said no, she had him about 3 or 4 hours ago! lol Even her own mother is like OMG! lol haha Another time my dad called me to tell me about another kid, and I said I wanted to come see her, (the new baby) and my dad said oh Darla (my step mother) took her and the rest of the kids to go see Peter Pan, I said again, oh when did she have the baby, yesterday or something, and dad was like no, earlier today! lol Every woman I guess is just different. For me, I don't care to go any where for a few days, I like staying home for a few days and not going any where for about a week, then I'm ready to bust out! lol haha But, only for short whiles, and back home again! lol haha

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2011 :  5:21:25 PM  Show Profile
Oh and BTW Martha, I have found LLL to be a great support group in real life as well.

One thing I would like to start though in local communittees is something like I read in a book, I think it is something like 7 laws to breastfeeding, or something. It kind of compared other cultures to ours, and how much higher the percentages are in successful breastfeeding in these other cultures then in some of us who live in "industrialized" cultures. It kind of fiddled around with some theories as to why that might be. One thing, that really kind of struck me, is the Cinderella effect in industrialized counties, what they described like this, that while you're pregnant every one is all over you showering you with love and what not, then when you have the baby it all gets shown towards the baby but mom is nearly ignored. I've personally never been jealous of my babies and LOVE for other people to show them attention and love. However, the way the book brought it out made a lot of sense. It said in countries that have the highest breastfeeding success rates, mom's are still doted on AFTER the baby comes. Many times, their mothers, sisters, and other women in their area come together to come and help the mom, cleaning her home, looking after the other children, cooking meals for the family. This way the mom's attention can all go on the new baby, and not worrying about the rest of the house hold responsibilities. I can soooooo see where this would be helpful.

I know you can hire people to help you do these things here in the USA. But, my dream would be to organize a support group of volunteers to do these things for free. In turn the mothers using this support group would also volunteer to help other mothers when it's their turn as well. I'm not exactly sure how to go about getting something like that started, but I just think it would be so helpful. Even for mom's who can't breastfeed. I would think it would surely help a lot of pp depression at the very least that we see in this country (thankfully I've never had it, but have known many who have). My dream would also be to offer this kind of support to new moms for a min of six weeks pp. (where mom's wouldn't have to cook, clean, etc for at least 6 weeks, and just be with their new baby that first six weeks). I know that used to even here in the USA not that long ago that's what people used to do. I've read biographies and such, where small communittees would come together when new babies were born, and help the new mother, bringing dishes of food, and what not for a while, helping new mom with what ever chores she may have (garden, animals, farming, etc) for that first bit. I think bringing that back would be so helpful.

I've thought about at least just starting it in my own church, when I can. Just asking the other women in my own congregation when a new baby is due, to come together and let's figure out a schedule of at the very least, providing dinner for the family for the first few weeks. A different woman each night, could volunteer to provide the meal. Or different Bible Study group each week could provide at least some food to the family-taking over covered dishes to sustain the family for the week. Something like that....but I don't know how well it would fly! It would sure be nice though I think to have something like that.

Go to Top of Page

sigkapoli
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Olivia
Sumter SC
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2011 :  09:28:21 AM  Show Profile
Heather,

Your idea sounds absolutely lovely! Try to find a local childbirth educator who is likely teaching a group who are all due at the same time. Consider a postpartum doula training so you are up-to-date on the latest research etc to be able to assist with breastfeeding as much as possible.

In my community I facilitate a Birth Circle where we discuss all sorts of topics related to pregnancy, birth & parenting. Many people have made connections with each other and friendships and helping have blossomed from it.

As for homebirth, while I never had one myself, I fully support every woman's choice to have a homebirth. I'm currently training to be a midwife. I will serve women at home when I'm finished with my training.

For birth certificate info, contact your local vital records department. It's different in every state, but often falls under the health department.

Army Wife
Mom of 3
Student Midwife
Childbirth Educator
Miscarriage Support
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2011 :  10:27:04 AM  Show Profile
Olivia, good to know about the birth certificate info! I was just starting to look into it seriously since it looks like (unless I find an experienced mom to help) it will by husband delivering our baby. We live 10 miles from the hospital so I'm not nervous but I'm going to have to do all the paperwork myself to get a birth certificate which isn't a big deal but I guess that was one nice thing about going to the hospital. You just gave them the babies name, wrote down parent's info and they did the rest.

I have just been reading about getting doula support and it sounds wonderful! I really could have used that after baby #2!!! I had absolutely no help, was completely stressed and I couldn't keep up with anything, it was AWFUL!!!

This time I'm making myself some casseroles and other meal items and putting them in the freezer so all I have to do is pull them out of the freezer, thaw then cook. No extra baking dishes. If need be I will even go with paper plates and throw out containers so I have even less dishes to do after this baby! A lot of people promised to bring over meals and never did, I was also told people would come and help me and that never happened either. So I'm thinking ahead of the game. I haven't found any doula's around here so I'm just preparing a head of time :) Hope your midwife training goes well for you!!!

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2011 :  12:56:11 PM  Show Profile
oh my gosh girls! and I though *I* had horror stories from having a disinterested small town OBGYN on my first... even if my hospital staff for that delivery wasn't terribly qualified, they still treated me like a queen. And the one time I had a baby after the kitchen closed, those ladies were rummaging through the downstairs fridges looking for food for me!! (Best fruit salad in my life.)

I guess at this point I aught to throw out some recommendations... Salem Oregon, and Avondale Arizona are good places to have babies apparently...

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2011 :  4:27:09 PM  Show Profile
Oh and about those heat lamps, I never liked them either Martha. They look scary to me, and unless there is some health problems with the baby being able to maintain their own heat/temp I don't understand their usage! I didn't like mine under one either!

As for being a Doula I have certainly thought about it, but I would rather just be on a volunteer basis. I would like to support women with out them worry about how to pay. Cause that's one thing that has been limited with us with all my pregnancies, I've never been able to afford things like doulas and midwives, I wish I could! But, that's why I would like to start something where mom's could just volunteer to help other mom's. Still though I think doula education would be something worth me looking into. I did look into being a LC, as well, but now with LLL I see that a lot of help is given there for free, and I love LLL. However, I still want to look into further doula education. And then just help other mom's with just volunteering my time, and hopefully getting others to help as well.

Good idea on making frozen casseroles, ahead of time.

This time (for the first time) we live with my parents. Before with all my other pregnancies I lived in NYC, with only my inlaws they always promised a bunch of stuff as well and never followed through. With my parents, even though I am supposed to be making meals (and do as much as I can), if I can't because of "morning" sickness or what have you my step mom (she doesn't know how to cook, she's a doctor and that's what she does! lol haha She doesn't do cooking etc. lol) will either buy food and bring it home, or make sure to bring home all the extra catered by the drug rep food from the office, or my dad will cook if I ask. So I'm sure I won't have to worry about it this pregnancy. My mom is also nice about buying me food when I don't feel well. (I don't live with my mom, but now we at least live with in driving distance of each other). My sister was home for summer, and she helped a lot by cooking most the lunches around here. Even though she's in law school and kind of like my step mother (law is what she does, cooking not so much! lol We ate a lot of pasta! lol haha). My husband helps out by cooking as well. He's cooking tonight.

But, yeah personally I won't have any problems for a while after baby is here I'm sure. Cause my family doesn't mind helping out. But, I would like to be able to get something in the works for other women like me, who are far from helpful family, and maybe doesn't have as nice/helpful husband as I have.

When I lived in NYC, I will say my husband was pretty good about cooking for me/us after babies, or going and buying what ever. The problem I have with him, is cleaning! lol He doesn't clean at all! lol haha I must say though with our move he's been a LOT better about keeping clean...well that and I gave him a closet to live in (for his mess! lol He likes to be messy around his PC, so I stuck him in his own room, that is keeping the rest of our home so much nicer now lol haha). The kids really don't mess up the house as much as he did before having his own room. He still messes up the kitchen, but I can usually handle the cleaning in there, not so bad, although I must say I do still grumble to myself about the mess sometimes. lol haha But, DD2 is really good about helping me clean, she likes cleaning! lol So her and I go in there and can usually clean it up in a few minutes, so not so bad. And for the first time ever we have a dish washer so that's helping a TON. All my other pregnancies I was the one stuck with dishes, DH will do dishes, but.......they look worse after he "washes" them then before we put them in the sink, I don't know how that was possible, but it was, and so I always had to re-do them any way. And I am by no means a perfectionist! I just am not going to drink out of a greasy/foggy/food encrusted glass or eat off a plate that is the same! I seriously don't know how he could make them worse then what they went in! But, I guess he's talented that way! lol So YEAH for dishwasher! haha

Go to Top of Page

marthajane
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Anna
Orlando FL
USA
196 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2011 :  5:41:56 PM  Show Profile
I just have a sec, I wanted to make it brief. I think weve shared alot of information here lately! Thanks I appreciate it!
My sons temp was 95.1 when we arrived at the hospital. He had no signs to indicate that he couldnt maintain his own temp yet.
Reminder he was born at 4:30 AM in November in Maryland. We went outside our house which was about 75 degrees to air about 55, then to an airconditioned hospital. Our bed was right underneath of a continuous blower...the boy did not need the heat lamp.
I might email you Heather, I checked out your website and noticed youre making nightgowns, which are lovely btw.
I have a kind of sexy lacy one that I always wanted to redo in a kind of plain country fashion print, to make it more practical.
I was considering asking you to take a look at it?

Happiness IS being a MoM
Go to Top of Page

marthajane
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Anna
Orlando FL
USA
196 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2011 :  5:50:30 PM  Show Profile
oooo and jen thanks for tip on locations to give birth, you might believe it but some people need that kind of inside scoop.
speaking of fruit salad, wow who needs to rethink that no brainer...its pineapple with watermelon...! I just discovered this, sorry I am a little euphoric about that combination...is it wrong to admit to being a fruit addict?
I remember when I read MJF Book for the first time, and her talking about the italian prune orchard on her farm...has she ever been raided? When I read that I had never had a fresh prune in my life, so I had no idea. Now that Ive had them its a temptation I have to go and raid MJs grove. JK!

Happiness IS being a MoM
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2011 :  7:24:18 PM  Show Profile
Sure you can send it to me Martha, I don't know if I can help much I'm a beginner still really, and just followed a Elizabeth Lee Design pattern, her site is pretty out dated, but her patterns are classics, if you can imagine them with newer/updated/your own personal style fabrics, and not the ones she has on her site (outdated late 80's early 90's stuff) and hair do's! lol haha I'll tell you the best person to contact about night gowns and such is the owner or any of the workers at a local fabric store in my town, she specializes in lingerie fabrics, and classes, etc. She right now is out of town but there is still people left at the store that probably could help you. (she only hires competent workers!). She does have one "helper" worker that may or may not be able to help, she does the best she can, but is young and does have down syndrome, but all her other workers are very very experienced seamstresses, and know lingerie especially, since that's what her fabric store specially caters to.

Here's her blog, and has all the contact info on it-
http://ndlnookfab.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

marthajane
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Anna
Orlando FL
USA
196 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2011 :  5:32:46 PM  Show Profile
Magnolia, Thanks so much for your hearty replies and the info, I too wish to have a network like you described where women can assist each other without ego, or drama...right now its just a wish...Sending you all best on your pregnancy and may God Bless You!!

Happiness IS being a MoM
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2011 :  12:30:50 PM  Show Profile
Yeah, I have noticed that too. Women like to share these awful hospital labor birth stories and then when they find out you aren't having your first one and didn't get scared by their story and also find out you are thinking home birth they get all disgusted with you. Oh well. I don't look down on anyone wanting a hospital birth. it is THEIR birth and I hope they can have the birth they want! For me and the birth of my next baby it will be at home as long as things continue to go well for me and baby. I'm 31 weeks now and I can't wait! Its so relaxing for me to know that I will be able to labor at home! I've been so encouraged hearing all your stories and advice and opinions. I value it all! Also I appreciate the non-judgmental attitude you all have had, its great to be able to discuss this with other women that don't try to judge you or change your mind :)

I wish that society was more open to women with children. Without women with children we would run out of society to have... You'd think our society would think about that and try to make life easier for them. I've been doing a lot of reading about childbirth in the US and worldwide and it is crazy how even in the third world countries with the poverty they have a lot of women have such positive emotional and physical birth experiences because of the culture surrounding "women with children". Oh well! Maybe we will slowly change our society for the better regarding women with children if we can keep being our own support system and help each other out, even if just emotionally speaking :) I wish they had more LLL groups in rural areas, that would be another great start too. Oh well! I guess sometimes big changes have to start out small :)

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2011 :  3:37:14 PM  Show Profile
You're very welcome Martha! And thank you as well.

Krystle, you can start your own LLL group. The groups are ran by other mothers, it does take a little money to start up, but you could just start a breastfeeding support group in your area, and then all of you get the money together to start one. I think you have to go through some training of some sort and such. I live rurally too but go into town for the LLL meeting. Most in the meeting I go to also live ruraly! lol

Have you read the 7 laws to breastfeeding, or something like that, it says the same thing you do about some of the third world countries and supporting mommies, and how that makes so much of a difference.

I too wish others could just let others have their own opinion and raise their children how they WANT to, with out judging. I mean as long as no abuse or such is being done, why do people think it's their business to judge? I never judge others (again unless abuse is involved), on what they choose for their families. so I don't get it. But, I also don't let them shake me or my choices, it is just too bad they can't seem to support me like I do for them!

Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2011 :  06:39:52 AM  Show Profile
No, I haven't read that, is it a book? I have read the Womanly Art of Breastfeeding and that is a book every mom considering nursing should read! It's on my bedside table I have been re-reading it so much!

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2011 :  5:45:49 PM  Show Profile
Yes it is a book. It's really good look for it on Amazon, I think you will like it. I know I do.

Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2011 :  05:57:27 AM  Show Profile
Ok, neat I will check it out! Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

marthajane
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Anna
Orlando FL
USA
196 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2011 :  3:21:05 PM  Show Profile
Hello again is the topic evolving still? I havent checked in a while.
Woke up from sleep and the words Mothers Watch was on my lips, an appropriate name for a Mothers group who looks after children and other Mothers.
I too do not know where the subtle hostility comes from, I guess women have been neglected? Maybe? And that leads them to want to make someone else suffer like they did? I dont think I am like that...I have other flaws.
SWEET that we have linked to talk these things out, and I look forward to more discussions, opportunities to share and maybe help each other in the right direction. Blessings to you mothers of children, always bless them.

Happiness IS being a MoM
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2011 :  8:32:53 PM  Show Profile
sounds like a great mom for such a group. I hadn't seen you post for a while and was wondering how you were. Good to see you again! ;o)

And I do believe you are right some people are just grumps and would like others to feel the same way. Other people I notice today just have no sense of compassion or empathy what so ever, if it's not them effected they could care less!

Go to Top of Page

marthajane
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Anna
Orlando FL
USA
196 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  10:05:54 AM  Show Profile
You are so right! Im sure there have always been people like that, but WOW it seems like they would try to hide that meanness or something! Now its like they just love to demonstrate how awful they can be...well Im just saying thats some of the nurses Ive run into, and believe it or not some "social workers"
always neat to hear what you have to say on here too!

Happiness IS being a MoM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Homebirth Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page