countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2011 :  12:27:42 PM  Show Profile
My husband and I have been discussing our options and we have been looking at going to a stand alone birth center to have baby #3. I've always wanted a home birth and the last two births have been completely normal and healthy. This pregnancy so far (I'm 25 weeks) has been totally normal just like my other two.

My husband suggested we have a home birth with this baby because it would be so much easier on me. Emotionally and physically. If we don't do home birth or go to the birth center the hospital would be the only other option and as long as there is no medical reason for me or new baby to be in the hospital going there is not an option for me.

Basically my questions are these: For those that have home birthed how do you do the paperwork or even get the paperwork to get a birth certificate for the new baby? The only midwife I'm comfortable with is quite a ways away and I have to call her tomorrow to see if she can even come this far. Therefore I would have an experienced friend assist my husband and I if we have questions/need help with something simple. If the midwife can come this far then I don't have to worry about it (the paperwork because she would have it all taken care of).

Either way I still want to know. I have read some books, I'm totally comfortable with having the baby here at home. The books I have read are pretty old (not like having a baby has really changed over the years) Does anyone know of any newer books I could read? I love reading and I like to read as much as I can. You can never stop learning! :)

I'd also like to hear other home birth stories too. Why you chose home birth over a hospital birth and if you had a midwife/friend or just did it on your own. Thanks ladies!

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2011 :  1:38:56 PM  Show Profile
I know I sound like a broken record, but I would find your local La Leche League, and ask around there, there is usually more "natural" mom's in most those groups who either do home births or birthing centers.

The most common thing I hear for safety is to make sure you aren't more then 30 minutes away from a hospital just in case of a emergency. As long as you live with in 30 minutes they usually feel you would make it there in time in case of a emergency.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2011 :  2:19:28 PM  Show Profile
Congrats on your decesion. As a L&D nurse, I have seen less than perfect outcomes for both types of deliveries. Several of my friends have had home births that went very well and they all loved their experience. I would call your local Social Security Office just to see what they require for paperwork.Your midwife might just be able to give you the papers, which may just require a witness. Good luck, and keep us posted!

....it's what's inside a women, when she's up against the land.

Farmgirl #680!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/lessielouise22
Go to Top of Page

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2011 :  06:32:20 AM  Show Profile
I never homebirthed and do not know anyone who has, but can recommend a great book about pregnancy, labor and deliveries I read titled INA MAY'S GUIDE TO CHILD BIRTH. It's written by a midwife who has practiced for a number of decades and she shares stories of women who have experienced all kinds of different scenarios.

Farmgirl Sister #3243

"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." - Laura Ingalls Wilder
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2011 :  07:54:23 AM  Show Profile
She also wrote Spiritual Midwifery.

Farmgirl #680!

Go to Top of Page

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2011 :  08:05:00 AM  Show Profile
That's a really good book, too!

Farmgirl Sister #3243

"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." - Laura Ingalls Wilder
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2011 :  7:21:52 PM  Show Profile
If your midwife ever has a need for supplies, let me know. :) The company I'm a rep for can set her up to have a "Kit" with everything in it (The birthing tub, supplies, etc.) and that way you can just have everything shipped to you all at once. :)

I would also contact any "natural motherhood" stores (Like, the one here is Mother Nurture) and ask them for rec's. Natural food stores, co-ops, etc., might be a good resource as well. :)

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2011 :  6:19:42 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations, and awesome for you to be up for it!! Maybe I'm just a wimp but I prefer going to the hospital.

When I think of a home birth I can just imagine my older kids strolling in asking for PB&J, the dog scratching at the door to be let out, or my husband asking where I moved the sink because he needs a glass of water and can't get him himself... I feel like I would still be "clocked in" as the mom.

I look at a hospital birth as a resort where I will be pampered. A chef will prepare the meals I call in, I can sleep as much as I want, there's high speed wifi, and cable TV, and the best part is I don't have to do laundry, OR DISHES!

Joking aside, I'm happy that its possible for a woman these days to give birth pretty much wherever she is the most comfortable. There's an episode of Mad Men where betty Draper is giving birth in the 50s, and it's amazing to see just how far the business of birthing has come.

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2011 :  8:06:34 PM  Show Profile
Jen, all those things is what you hire a doula for. You can hire a doula to do all those things.

I have to have mine in the hospital cause I'm high risk, I wish that the cable tv wasn't so expensive at the hospital. I usually scratch some pennies together for it, cause it seems pretty boring up there with out tv, and especially cause the hospital I usually goes to the internet is pretty etchy and again usually I can't afford both the tv and the internet there (20 dollars a day each, plus the phone is a additional 20 a day and since cell phones aren't allowed, I usually go with the phone cause my parents like to be able to call me). But, usually we try to scratch it together for it all. Seems though to me it's cheaper for all those things at home! I get internet at home for 35 dollars a month (less then two days worth at the hospital! I get netflix at home for 8 dollars a month, less then half a day of TV at the hospital! lol haha). Hmmm, may be cheaper to go to a spa next time! lol

Go to Top of Page

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2011 :  10:40:42 PM  Show Profile
Jen, you are so funny! I really considered the idea of a homebirth with my 3rd and 4th babies but never did it and part of the reason was just what you said. I knew my family would expect ME to still be mom (even if there were a labor doula around) and would probably ask me to do laundry or sew up a damaged stuffed animal between contractions. It was bad enough when we were in the hospital when I was in labor and just my husband was there complaining I didn't pack enough snacks for HIM!

I never had a labor doula, but I had postpartum doulas after my 3rd and 4th daughters were born. The postpartum doula experience with my 3rd was great, but not so much after the 4th.

But I agree with you, Jen, that women should give birth where and how they are most comfortable!

And I did see that episode of Mad Men - very scary!

Farmgirl Sister #3243

Edited by - LuckyMommyof5 on Aug 08 2011 10:44:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2011 :  08:34:30 AM  Show Profile
I didn't mind so much having my first in the hospital except my birth plan wasn't followed. What was extremely hard on me was having baby #2 in the hospital. I hated being alone. They make you stay a full 2 days after the birth of your baby for a NORMAL birth and healthy delivery without complications to baby or mother!!! Which meant for me I spent 3 nights away from my daughter who wasn't even a year old at the time. Only got to see my husband for an hour or two a day, he slept through the labor (a whopping 8 hours compared to the 4 hour labor with my daughter). Plus they forced me to have an IV even though I didn't need it so I was painfully engorged and it got worse when my milk came in. I didn't get stretch marks on my breasts until after my milk came in with #2 because of all the fluids despite my begging to be taken off it since I am a big water drinker.

Visitors think they can stay as long as they want in the hospital which was exhausting, I just wanted to be in my own bed in my own house with the windows open so I can hear the chickens clucking around the yard, the ducks quacking, the wind in the trees instead of smelling stale hospital air, eating food that I made in advance vs hospital food. Well I could really go on but it was so traumatic for me to leave my baby girl for 3 nights and I only got to see her once when they brought her to the hospital to meet her brother. She was so upset, it wasn't jealousy she thought I had abandoned her and I never want to put myself or my kids through that ever again if I can help it. It was just awful!!!

I think I will have a friend or relative over to help with the kids depending on when I go into labor and after we all get settled with the new baby, our family can bond together right away instead of the hospital which really broke up the family when we (especially me) needed my husband and daughter the most. This time around I'm going to be able to rock my super soft bath robe and chill on the couch or my very own bed in my own house, eat good homemade food (including eggs with really orange yolks compared to hardly yellow at all) and oh my goodness the power to retreat the bedroom when guests overstay their welcome visit for the baby!!!

But that is for me and remembering all that makes me even more confident to have the baby at home because it would be best for me, the kids and the new baby. Of course my husband is behind this all the way, he brought it up in the first place!!!

I totally agree though, a woman needs to be able to give birth where she is most comfortable whether that be at home or a hospital otherwise she will have a not so good experience and it can get breastfeeding off to a rough start (according to what I have learned from books and talking to other people). I don't look down on anyone that feels more comfortable in a hospital because if they gave birth at home they would probably hate it, like the reverse of myself. If that is what they want to do, then go for it because if you do something just to please other people you will regret it later on :)

I put that book on hold at the library, I haven't heard of it so I can't wait for it to come in!!! Thanks for the advice and good words everyone!!!

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2011 :  3:43:22 PM  Show Profile
That's what I hated about my hospital times, my plan of birth and what was forced on me was two different things! Personally I always wanted to home birth I wish I could.

This time though I have a awesome dr who is known to do home births and said really I should be allowed but you know insurance won't let me because of my "high risk" although he says in his eyes I am NOT high risk, that is just the insurances terms! UHG! However, I know a lot in my LLL who use him including the amish birthing center here, and he is really great about going with what mom wants.

Our last LLL meeting was on birth plans, and we just had a discussion on all this stuff. Most here in my area have 6 plus children (meaning 6 or more children-I personally have 17 siblings! lol This is a bit unusual around here but 6 to 10 children is pretty avevrage in this area), my point in saying the amount of children is these women have had multiple births, and so I feel have quite a bit of experience in saying what worked for them. Any way, one of them strongly urged one of the women in my group who is expecting and wanting to go to the amish birthing center, but do most the labor at home (plus at the amish birthing center you are released on average around 4 hours after giving birth), that they get a friend who is like minded to care for the previous child. That way she doesn't have to worry about it, can have full attention of her husband and mother, etc. Personally sounded good idea to me, by the time she was done explaining. This particular leader said she had all hers at a birthing center, we had one here for a while that gave you a apartment-with two rooms, a birthing room and a second bedroom for all your pre-existing kids and any family/friend you wanted in it, and a kitchenette, living room etc. I was upset when I heard they tore it down! UHG! Any way, that being said, she said what she did was she had her friends watch the older children, till the birth then they would come in if wanted to for that part. And then she said a few hours later they were home, and she had a pizza party that was just for the immediate family-her, her husband, and their kids. Kind of a celebration of the newborn, but also leaving the older kids with a positive of getting a new sibling, etc.

I wish every one could go to LLL cause you learn so much from the other mom's and their experiences, and usually at least once a year one meeting is about birthing plans!

Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2011 :  7:46:42 PM  Show Profile
I hope you're able to! I desperately wanted to but because I was older when I had my first my husband insisted that I go to a hospital. Probably a good call in my case as it took the vacuum and forceps to deliver my son. Doctor was threatening c-section. After that hubby wouldn't even consider home birth. My daughter was an "easy" birth in comparison. If I was to be blessed with any more pregnancies I think I'd at least try to convince him to let me try.... but seeing as how I'm an hour from a hospital, I doubt I could. I recommend getting a doula and make sure you have it set up so you can get to a hospital should it be necessary. And other than that enjoy it!
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2011 :  8:10:40 PM  Show Profile
oh and Krys, my husband and I always wanted the home birth as well. Really UHG I wish a dr or midwife could help me do it (their insurance would never cover them for malpractice though if something happened cause of my "high risk" status. But, really I am positive we could do it at home, even my doctor is! Cause my labors are fast easy, and really no problems. Plus no snarky nurses at home either! UHG, two of my births I had the snarkiest nurses ever! One should of been brought up for malpractice really! She was such a UHG! The last birth they kept trying to talk "sense" into me.....and come to find out I was right! They were WRONG! Yeah, keep talking the sense into me. One flat out said, this is reality Mrs. Woodford, what you are saying is NOT going to happen, we are dealing with reality here! Then when Belle was born, I was RIGHT! And she was WRONG, hmmm talk about reality! They kept saying she was too tiny and would be in NICU for months and she may not live etc etc. However, I could feel her inside me, and I am pretty in tune with my body (more so then most) and I kept saying, but what if she isn't that tiny, what if she is normal for her weight and healthy, then what will happen, will she get to come home. And that's when I got the reality talk and we need to bring in a nicu ped to talk sense into you talk! Then when they showed her to me after she was born I looked at her and she started screaming, and I thought hmmm if she was too weak/sick she wouldn't be able to scream, and secondly she looks "normal" size to me! (she is on the small side, but so was my husband and I) When they told me her weight she was a whole pound larger then they had been telling me, so she wasn't sooooooooooo tiny either!

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2011 :  8:15:21 PM  Show Profile
Kimberly you may want to check in to the Bradly method, I've heard forceps, and c-sections are often avoided because of such. Sometimes drs get all hung up on time limits, etc. I'm working on exercises from their book. Personally I can't afford the classes right now, but I am reading all their books. I'm getting them for free from my LLL meetings library.

Go to Top of Page

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2011 :  10:06:43 PM  Show Profile
Krystle - I hope I didn't sound negative before about your plans - I absolutely think you and your husband need to do what is right for you, your baby and your family. Although I wanted to be away from the home setting during labor and delivery, I HATED being in the hospital for so long afterwards postpartum and away from my other children. None of my birth plans were followed/honored either for my 4 deliveries and I have always been upset about that. I also have a very "atypical" labor pattern - I hard labor at about 3 cm for a LONG time (10-15 hours) and then suddenly spring to 10 cm and ready to push without any transition in between. For my 2nd, 3rd and 4th babies I explained this is probably what would happen to the delivery staff, doctors, my own OB, etc and no one believed me - until they saw it happen and ran around screaming for a crash delivery cart because they were "so surprised!" things progressed that way. It was annoying that no one wanted to listen to my opinion as the laboring mother.

I had the opposite problem with visitors, though, I WANTED to see people and no one wanted to drive all the way to the hospital, they all wanted to wait until we got home - so I was kind of lonely.

so, I hope you do go with what is best for all of you and everything goes as you want it. All of us Farmgirls are here to support you.

Farmgirl Sister #3243

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2011 :  10:45:03 PM  Show Profile
Suzanne, ME too!!!!!! I labor very odd, first of all I have no pain, now most "hospital" staff rolls their eyes at me about such! then I recently read in the bradley book I had that approx 1/3 of women do NOT have pain! hmmm.... (now mainly these are home births, or at least not the typical hospital birthing lamaze style births-come to find out though I do the bradley exercises actually in daily life and didn't even know it! so maybe that helped me?)

When I had my DS1, I broke water at home, and went in and I kept telling them now I don't feel pain during birth and things go fast. They would not put me in a labor room cause they were full and kept me in the NST room. And the dr kept coming in and getting a call and leaving. The nurse kept asking me how I was feeling, was I in pain, etc, and I kept saying no, but that really has no bearing with me, I never do feel pain! and she would say ok........

Finally after approx 2 hours, the dr came in and said ok I promise I won't take another phone call. I am going to examine you now. But, I was on a gurney and not on a exam table/bed. So the nurse was to go get something to lift up my bottom so he could get a good view, as I was saying no I would not put that under my back again (they had done that earlier in the pregnancy and killed my back!) and the nurse was still turned around rummaging for it (a bed pan was what she was looking for, they would put it upside down under my lower back). The dr lifted up my blanket, moved back my gown and my DS literally flew out! The dr barely caught him. And started screaming and running around the room! And saying she just delivered, she just delivered! And the nurse started screaming you didn't tell me you were in any pain, why didn't you tell me you were in pain. Cause I wasn't!!!!!!!! And I told you I labored fast! UHG!

Any way, my new dr, when I told him this, instead of rolling his eyes, he said oh boy, ok I am marking this in your chart, I know when I get a call from you I will run straight to the hospital, cause we don't have time for anything else! ALL my other drs/nurses I ever told this too (this is baby number 5 for me) have ALWAYS brushed me off and said yeah, yeah, and rolled their eyes about the no pain, and the fast labor/delivery! And then yeah, always the running around screaming, and scared, and acting like they had no idea! Makes me so mad every time!

I also dialate fast. With DD1, I remember I dialated from 2 to 10 in less then 20 minutes! Literally! I remember the nurse looking at me cause the monitor was going off cause of how strong and fast the contractions were (which again no pain for me!) and she ran out of the room and on her way out told me your baby is coming NOW! I'm getting the dr. I heard her discussion in the hallway with the dr, she said hurry dr, she's delivering now. And he said to her, it's impossible I just checked her and she was at a 2, there's no way she is ready. She said fine, do what you want, I'm going to deliver a baby! And he said, well I didn't say I wasn't coming. I still think that was a hilarious convo! lol

Apparently I'm a speedster according to the bradly book, sad thing is I'm even faster then what he calls a speedster! lol haha

Suzanne, if you have another I highly recommend reading the book, I liked the end of the one I just read, it really detailed each part of labor/delivery, and really helped you recognize where you were in it and what is normal is different for each mom!

As for visitors I never had any either. lol haha

Go to Top of Page

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2011 :  05:21:54 AM  Show Profile
In every one of my deliveries I had to say, "The baby is going to come out - I'm ready to push now!" to the labor and delivery staff and they would say, "No - I'm sure you are transitioning. We just checked you and you were at 3 cm..." Then they would look under the sheet and scream, "The baby's head is there, don't push yet, DON'T PUSH YET!" and run around screaming for the doctor, a crash delivery cart, oxygen, etc. I would give 2 pushes and my babies would just fly out. With my first daughter, my doctor was still running down the hallway to our room as I was pushing her out (into the arms of a startled labor and delivery nurse and watched by a pack of terrified in-house OB/GYN residents).

I know that it must have come as a shock for all concerned in my first delivery, but when I kept saying this probably would happen in deliveries 2, 3 and 4 I couldn't believe everyone around me (except my husband) refused to believe it was even possible. Until it actually happened, course.

I did have A LOT of pain in labor - but labor and delivery staff wouldn't believe me because they would say, "It can't hurt THAT bad, you are only at 3cm!" When I had a moment of crying in my 4th labor, one particularly insensitive l and d nurse told me I should "pull myself together" because I was only at 3 cm and shouldn't "lose it" until I was further along and felt REAL pain. I thought, "wow - glad I am IMAGINING this pain!"

I really can't believe that medical staff can be so ignorant or so clueless sometimes.

Farmgirl Sister #3243

Go to Top of Page

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2011 :  05:30:24 AM  Show Profile
Krystle - I forgot to say that I would be happy to give you my copy of INA MAY'S GUIDE TO CHILD BIRTH. I read it during the pregnancies with my 3rd and 4th daughters, so even if I have another baby in our future I think I know it by heart now. If you want it, email me and I will mail it to you! :)

Farmgirl Sister #3243

Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2011 :  09:35:59 AM  Show Profile
Heather,

I actually did look into the Bradley method! It sounds good. And I agree that it could help with not having all these horror stories if doctors didn't treat giving birth as something on a schedule but as nature intended.

I was in labour for 27 hours with my first. 4 hours of that was pushing. I kept asking the nurse what I was doing wrong. She told me I was doing everything perfectly and she couldn't figure out what was happening. I would push to crowning and then when most babies might slide back a little bit he'd go ALL the way back. So I'd have to push him all the way up again, it was a never ending cycle. The doctor used the vacuum and dropped him THREE times. Do you have any idea how uncomfortable that is? This was a horrible doctor. She was harsh and unkind and even had the nerve to ridicule my cloth diapers, like it's any of her business. She threatened c section and I looked her right in the eye and said NO. This baby is coming out the old fashioned way. Not saying someone shouldn't have a c section if they need it but I knew I didn't. She used the forceps and to give credit where credit is due she did a very good job with them. My son had no marks and no problems caused by them. I think looking back on it there were a couple of problems that lead to my trauma. One is the fact that my son inherited a huge head from my paternal side. My grandmother nearly died with all six of her deliveries. Big headed babies. Second was something I learned with my second delivery. The doctor (a different much better one) told me that he thought I was subconciously backing off from the pain. He said that he didn't blame me and figured it was a normal reaction but he wanted me to concentrate on pushing through the pain. My daughter was born after only 20 minutes of pushing. Truthfully she was a tiny baby in comparison to my son and didn't have the mammoth head but still I think the doctor was right. I still would have loved to do the whole home birth with a doula and midwife etc, but I didn't have the opportunity to. I'm just blessed to have my children however they came into this world!
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2011 :  09:57:23 AM  Show Profile
Oh goodness Suzanne I didn't take your reply as negative at all! Just wanted to clarify some of the reasons we were thinking about and now have decided on doing homebirth :) I love having visitors but not for hours at a time with the same people. What meant the most was a 30 min to hour long visit with all the family members that wanted to come. It was more like that with my first born but with my second I only had a few loooooong visits and I was exhausted. But again what really bummed me out was that in 3 days I only got to see my daughter once. For like a half hour. Talk about traumatic! It wasn't really having the baby in the hospital but it WAS the post partum time that I really wanted to be at home mostly because the people I wanted to see the most were there and not with me at the hospital! Don't get me wrong I loved to show off my new baby BUT at the same time I wanted to be by my support system and because the hospital was over an hour away (that was when we lived at our old house, now we are only 10 miles from a hospital!) that really made things rough.

Yeah, its so frustrating being in labor and then people treating you like you are an idiot or something. I am waiting for the bradley book from the library, I just heard about that method of laboring after I had my second. Everyone that I knew used lamaze and I hated it because it didnt work for me. What I did with my second labor is breath sloooow kind of like when I do yoga. That was the most beneficial. The nurses didn't like that too much until I told them they can tell me what to do all they want but I am going to do what I want to do. That took them back a little bit and I hated being sassy like that BUT like you other mom's out there, I know what's best for my own body and baby :)

It's so encouraging to hear other mom's stories and how they stuck up for themselves. That is awesome! I love hearing other mom's experiences :) I hope to make it to some LLL meetings soon, I just haven't had time or money for fuel to make it to the meetings an hour away. Oh well, I'm hoping to go in Sept since the one in August is during the fair and I definitely can't make it to that one because I can't miss the fair!

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2011 :  10:23:02 AM  Show Profile
Krys not to step on any one else's toes here on the thread, who have done or believe in lamaze. But, the bradly book I just read, said that lamaze breathing can actually cause a lot more harm then good! And is also usually taught incorrectly too boot! But, all that breathing stuff they said makes you and your baby even before you do, hyperventilate and often causes them to want to interfere with the birth-c-section, forceps, oxygen, etc etc. So you instinctively knew better! UHG, why people think you should go against your own natural instinct always makes me upset!

I hadn't heard about bradley till my last one either-I only heard about it cause I was watching the Duggars, and they use that method. I have no idea why it's not more widely known about, but I had never heard of it before. I am really liking what I am learning on it though, wish I could actually afford the classes, but the books seem good so far!

I am feeling very good about my new doctor, he is funny, and listens to me soooo much.

I am not trying to scare any one here, and in fact am expecting next month. But, I had a still born baby, my second child, and when I went in for my after care with that dr he kept asking weird questions, like was I breastfeeding, and I said, um no, not since the baby is dead......and he said oh ok, and wrote something in the chart. He asked some other "odd" questions, as well. Then I asked how long my husband and I should wait to get pregnant again and he said at least a year! I told my husband I didn't think that was right I had heard a lot less then that we would NOT be waiting a year! (I was in deep depression, personally I knew the only thing that would bring me out of it was another baby! And it did!) Any way, then on our way out he said next time you come, I want you to bring me a picture of that baby......and I said.........you want a picture of my dead baby? He turned white and said, um, I'll be right back, he left (I'm sure to go read my file or talk to his nurse or something) came back and apologized, etc. However, I still felt it was extremely....insensitive of him to not remember what had happened, only 2 weeks before! And especially cause things went wrong and I had had to come back to get the rest of the placenta out cause I went septic with it, etc, the week before!

Any way....the difference with my new doctor, because of insurance not kicking in till recently I have only gotten to see him 4 times. Last time I went, he asked me a detail about the second child's demise. I told him again (it was just to access this pregnancy a bit more was all), it was a small detail, and he had remembered virtually every other detail I have ever told him. Any way, after I answered he said that is right you did tell me that, I am so sorry for not remembering. I should of remembered that. However, he has been remembering every thing else and has only met me 4 times, I have been extremely pleased with his memory of who I am, and all my history etc. I feel like I am a real person to him, not just another pay check from insurance as another patient! I am real confident this will be so much different, I wish I had had him for my others!

Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2011 :  5:46:56 PM  Show Profile
As a L&D rn, I can tell yo my favorite and most successful patients are those who choose Bradley. They have more knowledge and usually come with a doula, at least lately. It seems like other nurses and the docs, just want to prove these girls wrong and mess with their birth plan. It's a shame it has to be that way, there are very few of us who prefer the Bradley patients. I'm lucky that I always get these girls at work, and see the joy and pride once those babies are born!

Farmgirl #680!

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2011 :  8:31:49 PM  Show Profile
That's awesome to know Carol, it's sad some people get so hung up on one method or way they want to close their minds to anything else or anything "new" to them. Thankfully it seems my new doctor even though he is older is very mature, and cutting edge. He seems to be self confident enough to let mom's do things as long as they are safe the way they want!

Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2011 :  06:27:21 AM  Show Profile
I tell my friends at work that is is our patients experience, not ours. We only have a few babies in our life, we should be able to do what we want to get them here!!

Farmgirl #680!

Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2011 :  4:01:13 PM  Show Profile
I've never had any issues with a birth plan, but then my "birth plan" has always been "give birth to a baby with as little stress to myself and child as possible." I'm just a low maintenance patient and I've never really been dissapointed by my maternity staff. TV and Internet has never been an extra charge to me O_O and additionally all my hospitals provided a meal to me and my husband if he was there as part of my "meal plan" for no extra charge.

Only had an epesiotomy on my first baby when I was 20, my middle birth was unremarkable, and my third my doc gave me a scheduled induction and that was the most incredible birth experience EVER because my labors typically stop/start and drag on. I was done in 2 pushes when it was time for that stage and I felt amazing and healed quickly.

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Homebirth Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page