Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Couch to 5k (C25k) Checkins, accomplishments
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Couch to 5k (C25k) Checkins, accomplishments Next Topic  

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2011 :  07:07:45 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Ladies!

I am so thrilled that so many are wanting to jump in on the C25K with me! I am going to start walking as a warm up before jumping into the program since I have been pretty lazy for a long time.

I will dig out the scale tonight and I will post my stats. I don't want anyone to feel pressured to post their weight or anything, but I think it would be awesome if we could post when we do our work outs, how they went and if you have something to see how far you went that would be great. You can also use MapMyRun on the internet to put in your route and see roughly how far you went.

This is going to be great! In just over 2 months we will be so much more fit!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2011 :  08:02:29 AM  Show Profile
Got my first run in today! I run with Rosemary in the jogging stroller and it started to sprinkle a little bit at the end, but we finished!

I used to run A LOT when I was in the military and stationed with Marines, but have gotten pretty lzy in the past year. This is a great way to get back into it.

I am wondering what others are doing on the off running days. I think I will be biking still. I just got the new bike cart and I love it!

Liz
Farmgirl #1947
www.militaryfarmgirl.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2011 :  4:04:03 PM  Show Profile
Thank you - I NEED this.... I worked really hard to lose 10 lbs - and I've kept it off with paying attention to what I eat, but I need to push myself a bit and add some exercise. This sounds reasonable. However, it is soooooo hot and humid here - I might melt. But I'm in. Count on it. I use to run ages ago and really liked it. I guess its time to blow the dust off my shoes (first I have to find them) and get to it.

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2011 :  9:05:07 PM  Show Profile
Alee, I posted this on the other thread, but I'll post it again for anyone who doesn't read the other one. I finished my first 5K today, in 48:20. I was so proud of myself. Last October, I blew out my knee playing rugby, and now I'm running 5K's! I actually start rugby practice in a few weeks, so I might not do as much leisurely running as much as I'd like but I'll still post on here about races and such!
God's and Farmgirl's Blessings,
Megan

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2011 :  10:15:40 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Yay!! Congrats Megan!! That is wonderful! I was looking into some races I could do in October since that is the next time my schedule slows down enough to try it. I am so excited. I also ordered an armband for my iphone today so I can exercise and listen to music. :)

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  12:03:10 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Alee! Here in the Milwaukee area, there are always so many festivals going on, and they usually have 5K's on opening day or something like that. We also have charity runs all the time, so I guess we're kind of a running town!
Megan

Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2011 :  07:44:43 AM  Show Profile
So I decided to start over and start with day one today so it would be easier to keep track off the days and always do it Monday, Wednesday, Friday.

How are you girls doing?

Liz
Farmgirl #1947
www.militaryfarmgirl.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2011 :  07:53:34 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Thats a great idea, Elizabeth!

I am going to try to get out this evening. My armband for my iphone should arrive this week... YAY!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2011 :  9:43:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Okay ladies! I tried the week one, run one today and had to throw in the towel 7 minutes early. Wow! This is going to be so good for me! I really need this! How is everyone else doing?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2011 :  11:41:58 AM  Show Profile
I'm so proud of you ladies getting out there! I need to sign-up for a 5k or something to get my rear in gear! Running is so great to clear the head of all the cobwebs.

Playing in the Sonshine
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2011 :  12:02:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
April- join on in!! Do you do much running right now or are you getting back into shape? I was shocked at how out of shape I was for running. I knew it was going to be a battle, but it was a bit more than I thought. I am glad I am working on it though!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2011 :  12:20:32 PM  Show Profile
Alee,
I'm what you'd call a sporadic runner right now! Life has been too crazy the last few months for anything normal. We're in the long....long...process of moving. The house we are moving to was a short sale and it'll be 4 months by the time we close since we started the second half of the moving process. The first being selling our house, which sold in three months and then we moved out a month later. So in total, life hasn't been normal for 8 months!
I would love to join you In this c25k! Power in numbers! :) this won't be my first 5k, but having farm girl sisters in on the deal is always more fun!

Playing in the Sonshine
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2011 :  12:48:40 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I used to be a sporadic runner...then a sporadic walker...then a full time couch potato!! Eek!

I definitly know how life can get in the way, but one thing I realized was that I have to take control of my life again because I was just drifting from one day to the next. I am going to have to start getting up at like 5am so I can get a run in every couple days.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2011 :  12:55:12 PM  Show Profile
So true! Life is needing to be taken by the horns or we will be drifters! I found that my early morning runs worked the best. I get up, put on the clothes I've laid out the night before, strap on my heart rate monitor and off I go. If I eat breakfast or dilly dally too long, it doesn't happen. My hubby is a triathlete and he has taught me a lot about excuses we make. He taught me to think about alll the excuses I come up with and make a plan so I won't have any excuses. One that helped him was laying out his clothes and shoes the night before and visualize himself getting up and running the route he was going to take. When that alarm went off, he was out there getting it done. Very inspiring.

Playing in the Sonshine
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2011 :  1:05:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Awesome advice, April!! I like the idea of visualizing the run the night before. Then you are kindof pre-amped up! :)

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2011 :  1:45:31 PM  Show Profile
Exactly!

Playing in the Sonshine
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2011 :  07:06:33 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I just completed Day 1, Week 1 of the C25K. I had started a few weeks ago, but after Sky got so sick and then died- I just couldn't make myself do anything. Now it is time to pick up the pieces and get going again!

It was a hard battle to make my body believe it wasn't going to die by just running for 60 seconds a couple of times. Wow- I really need this training program. I do NOT like feeling this way and the sooner my body gets with the program- the better. I think I am going to have to just go crazy and have to do this every morning. I know they advocate having days off in between but that doesn't really work for my motivation. If I take days off- then I justify taking an extra day off and then another--- and pretty soon I am right back where I started.

I think I will go all the way through week 1 twice over for the actual week 1 and then take a day off (so 6 training sessions) and then on into week 2. Hopefully by the time that week 2 rolls around I won't feel like I am dying so much.

How is everyone else doing?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2011 :  09:36:44 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I completed Day 2, Week 1 of C25k. Wow oh wow! I can feel my body adapting to the program already but it was a touch exercise route today. For some reason about 1/2 of the way through my ankles start burning- like the tops of them. And sometimes my calves do too- like they aren't getting enough blood. So I don't know if this is because I am heavy and this is hard for my body or if it is because my circulatory system is out of shape or a combination of both- but this is GOOD for my body and I am so happy I am doing it. Even if I curse myself and hate it during the progress of the program! LOL

How is everyone else doing?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2011 :  05:22:50 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I just completed Day 3, Week 1 of C25k. It is getting easier and easier. I still feel like I am dying in the running parts, but during the walking portion- my body is recovering a lot quicker. I am able to do 1.79 miles in just a little over half an hour. Most of that time is actually walking... Only 8 minutes of it is actually running. Next week I think the program steps that up a notch. I am also going to try to start going out every morning. A friend of mine who is a runner says that I will see faster progress the more I go out. Considering I have a pretty sedentary job- My muscles probably get sufficient recovery time just with me at work! I haven't really been sore yet- more sore when I am actually running but none afterwards.

My ankles are burning less. They started to burn at the beginning of the run, but by the end they were fine. I tried to push myself a bit more than normal at the beginning of the run- but by the end it was more of a "Can I outlast the program" LOL. Maybe tomorrow I will work on running a bit longer than a minute... It sounds like such a short amount of time LOL!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2011 :  1:44:23 PM  Show Profile
Definitely go every morning! With run walking, you dont need the break inbetween days as much. You'll start seeing progress! Keep going girl! I know you can do this! You're muscles are just adapting to the new exercise. Keep going even when you dont think you can cause lots of the time it's all a mind game!

We are moved in, but not unpacked yet. My body is sore from heavy lifting and stairs! I'm on the new fitness plan called "Moving Fitness" LOL! I'll be running sooner than later though! Gotta make some progress on these boxes!

You go girl!

~Hugs,
April

Playing in the Sonshine
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2011 :  9:42:34 PM  Show Profile
Tonight I finally started in! Day 1 of week one! My muscles are a little used to it from rugby practice, but running for the sole purpose of running and not doing sports is definitely different! But I want to become a runner, and this is the first step to doing so! I did 1.49 miles tonight, which I guess is good! I'm proud that I didn't have to stop at all. For the last five minutes for the cool-down, I held the little handlebars, but I never stopped moving! Yay!
Also, I'm looking into a few 5Ks to do in the next few months. I want to do one a month. I don't think that's too much? Considering cross-country runners do similar things once a week for meets!
Megan

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  05:39:53 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Well I started Week 2 Day 2 but did not finish. I have not been feeling good lately and went right to bed last night. I was asleep by 9 or 9:30 but had a restless night. I also forgot to take my vitamin yesterday so I think that had something to do with it.

I will try again tomorrow morning!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  8:59:53 PM  Show Profile
I hope you feel better Alee!
Megan

Go to Top of Page

YiberryYadeeKarin
True Blue Farmgirl

343 Posts

Karin
Spokane Valley WA
USA
343 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2011 :  1:17:02 PM  Show Profile
I still plan to do C25K but have to wait until our weather cools down. It was SO gorgeous yesterday -- sunny with highs in the upper sixties. Well, now it's going to progressively warm up and they're predicting the 90s this week. UGH!!! So much for my warm and fuzzy feelings about fall!

I also have to get some running shoes.

I am a member of Oz Fitness and they are starting the second session of "Lifestyles". I guess it's something like Weight Watchers, with group support and I guess they talk a lot about nutrition. I know a lot about nutrition -- not that I practice it like I should!!! It would be nice to connect with someone to work out with sometimes. I do go with my daughter but once school starts she can't go during the day. Anyway, Wednesday I will attend my first meeting for free to see what it's like!

I haven't hiked or walked in weeks nor have I done Wii Fit Plus. Sigh. Seriously, the hot weather just kills me. I always say that "when it's cold I get cold but when it's hot I get sick". Maybe if I lost one hundred pounds I would tolerate the heat better!?!?! I've never been thrilled about it.

All the best to everyone!
Karin
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Couch to 5k (C25k) Checkins, accomplishments Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page