Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Goat question need help! Next Topic  

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  08:34:40 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Hi Girls, How much would you charge to have your buck breed 2 does? I am at a complete loss. There is this sweet lady, she has 4 young children, she works at home, and next month she is getting 2 does that she would really like breed to one of my bucks. What would you charge her?
Thanks for any help!
Hannah

Farmgirl sister #1219!

"Lifes not about the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away."

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  09:02:31 AM  Show Profile
first, you need health certificates for all goats, you do not want your buck getting any illnesses, and spreading it back to your other goats...second, are all goats purebreds, and registered with proper papers, that will make a differance in buck fees...third, are you taking all the responsibilitys/liabilitys, are you bringing the buck to her place, or the does to your place...are you guarrenteeing births, in other words if the doe does not take, are you re-breeding for free...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

mydakota
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

kristi
redmond oregon
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  09:41:18 AM  Show Profile
Well, I would not consider breeding any of my animals to any animals who don't have recent negative papers for CAE and CL. If they do have those papers, then it is really up to you. Last year, I bred my unregistered Boer does to a nice papered buck for $25 each. All animals involved were healthy, and had papers to back it up. The buck came here, and was here for 6 weeks. I was responsible for his care and upkeep during that time. He was a sweetheart. I actually hated to see him go.

HearthCricket Farm. Where the door is always open, and the coffee is always on.
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  10:23:52 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
These are excellent points girls and I really appreciate it!
Hannah

Farmgirl sister #1219!

"Lifes not about the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away."

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  2:09:55 PM  Show Profile
Yes, Hannah. You really want to be careful about where your boys go. What kind of environment will they be in? Will they have good shelter? Feed? I really want my own bucks from now on because you really don't know what you are bringing back to your farm. Mt friend studs her buck out for $25. and he's gone for months at a time. Sometimes she has them bring the does to her place. But you just never know about the other goats. Yes, make sure they are good healthy goats first of all. And get proof. Some people ask for a nice doe kid in exchange for services.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  4:45:19 PM  Show Profile
When I did a brisk business of this in the beginning - I have two large isolatation pens that any breeding animal would have to remain in for months when they came back to my farm. I made sure of all the points the ladies stated along with strict contracts... This was the same with my breeding Llamas and Alpacas. The biggest issue is if you wish to take the risks involved for what little money you might make on the deal. I would rather sell someone a male then sell breeding anymore. Unless you are into pedigree breeding and shows then it is more trouble then it is worth. I understand we want to be Kind, Nice and Neighborly but sometimes the cost is too much.

Good luck.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  6:25:27 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Thanks girls! I've got everything sorted out now and did tons of reserch. This has helped me so much so thank you all for you input! Great advice!
Hugs,
Hannah

Farmgirl sister #1219!

Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  7:32:25 PM  Show Profile
Hannah, what was your conclusion, are you gonna go into breeding or loan out a buck once in awhile, or keep it all in the family...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  8:13:25 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Oh my gosh, what a typo! lol I meant to say that I got a some things sorted out and did tons of research. lol!! I am far from having everything sorted out! lol! This is what happens when you have a million things on your mind.
I'm leaning towards loaning out a buck once in awhile and maybe breeding but that is way down the road. It would be nice for my goats to "pay for themselves" but I am dealing with not only my bucks health and safety but also my whole herds safety and health. I need to think, pray, do more research, and talk to some other people before I do anything.
Hugs,
Hannah

Farmgirl sister #1219!

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Goat question need help! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page