KellyWall
True Blue Farmgirl

336 Posts

Kelly
Apison Tn
USA
336 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  05:50:19 AM  Show Profile
What can I do to keep my neighbors newly aquired stray dog, who happens to be a fox hound from chasing my horses?? I am so tired of it barking and chasing my horses. They have 4 dogs and 3 of them are male, they are all loose and pee and poop all over my landscaping. The males are disgusting! They actuall back up and poop in my shrubs! I have called the humane society and don't know if they ever came out to post a warning. I am so over these dogs!! Any advice would help!

Kelly #238

May your bobbin always be full...

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  07:13:53 AM  Show Profile
I'm a huge fan of shotguns.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

Do not ask the Lord to guide your footsteps, if you are not willing to move your feet--Dr. Kioni

http://madame1313.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  07:22:40 AM  Show Profile
What kind of relationship do you have with your neighbors? Can you talk with them about it? I like the comment someone made either here or in the Backyard Chicken forum once, where they said that if their neighbor's dog comes on their property, they catch it and tie it up and wait for the neighbor to come and get it. I've been tempted to do that with our neighbor's dogs who also run loose. Although so far, they haven't done anything as irritating as what your neighbor's dogs are doing.
I am a dog lover. I have four dogs, but they are always either fenced in or on a leash. It isn't the dogs' fault that they are doing what they do. It is the owners' responsibility to train and restrain their animals.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
A Beehive is the ultimate Home Sweet Home
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  09:33:25 AM  Show Profile
in most, if not all states, if dogs are chasing livestock, you have the right to shoot them, and dogs chasing horses is a major tragedy waiting to happen...I practice the art of 3 S's, shoot, shovel and shut-up...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  09:45:17 AM  Show Profile
Oh, man, Kelly, you're story reminds me of another... Let me first say in no uncertain terms: I ABSOLUTELY DO NOT ADVOCATE THIS AT ALL! I just thought the mental picture might provide a little comic relief while you're undergoing this stress. About 20 years ago, friends of ours back home had a very similar issue, only instead of the neighbor's dogs frightening horses, they were scaring the beejeebies out of their two little girls, getting into the garbage, trampling their gardens and pooping everwhere. They tried to talk with the neighbors, but were simply ignored. Finally, one day, they decided to feed the dogs - and included a little bit of ex-lax in the meal. I was aghast when they told me, but I will say that their plan worked. The dogs survived, but made a pretty nasty mess at their owner's home. They never came back again. BUT - LET ME REITERATE - I DO NOT ADVOCATE THIS AT ALL. I'm a HUGE dog lover! And I'm really not sure what this kind of thing would do to the poor animals. The owners really should be taking care of their dogs and keeping them in line.

Paula - I don't know about catching it, tying it up and waiting for the neighbor to come looking for it. I understand you're thinking, and it's a good, humane idea; but if the owners are letting their dogs run free and trample everyone else's property, how much do they really care about their dogs? You might end up finding yourself with some new, unexpected pets!

Is there a dog officer who could maybe remove the dogs and bring them to a safe house or no-kill shelter?

Kelly, I wonder if one of those silent fences would work? It's not fair for you to have to go through the expense, but maybe it would be an effective deterrant... I don't know. It just makes me super upset that your neighbors neither care nor have any consideration for you all. We love our dog - she's our family. We'd never allow her to bother our neighbors (they just love her to be honest), and we'd never allow her to run free and amok onto other people's property or be unsupervised like that, either. How frustrating that must be for you. Surely something can be done about it - maybe with the township? I really feel for you!!!

Basically, I would say that if your neighbors are putting you in a position to accept responsibility for their pets' negative behavior, you're perfectly within your rights to take action with the proper authorities. Shame on them.

Good luck - let us know how you make out!

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

www.papercraftingwithnini.myctmh.com

Edited by - Ninibini on Jul 22 2011 09:46:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  1:30:13 PM  Show Profile
Dogs chasing the horses is dangerous as the legs of a horse can break if they are scared & step wrong...now would these people pay for the horse you had to put down because of their dogs chasing it?...If you can answer that truthfully then you have your answer of what you must do.
i love all animals but have my limits of what I will allow even though I know its not the animals fault that they have bad owners...If the owners won't listen to me & call animal control & file a complaint, if that doesn't work I call the police & file a complaint...if that doesn't work I sometimes catch the animal & drive it to the pound...if that doesn't work I shoot them with rock salt...BB guns don't work on large dogs I have learned & most of the time it doesn't stop them anyway but a rump full of burning rocksalt tends to make them think twice about returning....Some of you will find this awful but I too have the right to have my animals safe & if no one will help me then I must do what I need to protect them & yes i have thought of shooting them to kill them but I have not had to do that thank goodness, but sometimes it sure crosses my mind.....& since you have horses that tells me you must be out in the farm areas where you not only deal with dogs but probably wildlife as well....Yes its not fair that sometimes we have to hurt another animal to protect ours but when you have uncaring neighbors they set themselves up for someone hurting their animals.....Do what you think is right for you & that you can live with....In my eyes a dead dog is worth the cost of a living horse.....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  6:36:05 PM  Show Profile
Kelly, I agree with all that's been said so far. You do have the right to shoot an animal that is on your property and causing harm to your animals. I know that's true in Ga. but maybe you should check the laws in Tn. But I would think that's right. Like Michele said, would your neighbors pay for the worth of your horse if it had to be put down? I really doubt it. If someone is foolish enough to let their dogs run loose all over the nieghborhood, then they just don't care what they do.

I was in the garden mowing and Stella was out there with me. Right across the road is a horse farm. I mean real expensive horses. Well, they were running and she saw them and she ran toward them. We are all fenced in so she couldn't get to them. But if she got out and ran across the road, she could cause a wreck or if she got in she would for sure be shot. I know them and they would in a heart beat. So I will really have to keep a close eye on her while she's outside. And keep that gate shut at all times.

Good luck.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

KellyWall
True Blue Farmgirl

336 Posts

Kelly
Apison Tn
USA
336 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  04:08:06 AM  Show Profile
The dogs are still wandering around, I haven't caught them chasing the horses in a few days, maybe the bb gun worked? THey still use my landscaping as there personal potty... They are so hard to catch in the act. either they do it really early or late, I don't know. Thank you all for the advice, Our county does hava a leash law, so I am sure they got a warning. I am also a dog lover I have 2, one indoor and a lab who stays outside or in the garage, she doesn't wander, she stays home and sleeps all day and I know where she poops! The neighbors are gone all the time, so they have no clue what the animals are doing, frankly, they need to get rid of all 4 dogs! They don't have time for them! Our relationship with them has been good until I started complaining about the dogs... I yell at the dogs all the time to get out of my yard, I even chased them out of my pasture! I also told the neighbor that I caught the hound with one of my daughters ducks in its mouth, I threw my pitch fork at it... I missed. but next time, if there is a next time, I won't!!!! So needless to say, they don't talk to us much anymore.

Kelly #238

May your bobbin always be full...
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  04:49:37 AM  Show Profile
How frustrating...and childlike that the neighbors won't talk to you now for standing up to protect YOUR stuff!! I hope the issue is taken care of. I hope they got a warning, and you're right it sounds like they just need to get rid of the dogs. Up until last week, we had a neighbor across the road whose dog was always running. She was always over trying to get in the fenced area with our four dogs. We'd yell at her, she'd sit int he middle of the road. We didn't want her to get hit so we'd walk her back over to the neighbors. The woman who lived there was such a ditz, the only thing she ever said was "Gee. I'm gonna have to buy you a new pair of shoes for as many times as you've walked my dog home!" I finally told her, "Well, if your dog ends up with one of my chickens in her mouth, I won't be walking her home." And she was soooo offended! Seriously??

I wish people would just be responsible and take care of their pets. I know accidents happen and dogs get out, but these instances where it happens all the time and the owners don't even seem to care is so frustrating!! Good luck to you, Kelly!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  4:36:27 PM  Show Profile
Steeltraps in your landscaping would probably break the habit of using it for a potty.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

Do not ask the Lord to guide your footsteps, if you are not willing to move your feet--Dr. Kioni

http://madame1313.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic bothersome dogs Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page