Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Chapters
 Farmgirl Chapter Chatter
 Question for chapter leaders
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farmgirl Chapter Chatter: Previous Topic Question for chapter leaders Next Topic  

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2011 :  2:53:53 PM  Show Profile
Hello! I have some questions for current chapter leaders. I have ordered my kit and have some ladies interested already so...

1. how long did it take you to get your kit? I'm just impatient but so I have an idea when to expect it....

2. Do you have any tips, suggestions etc? Any things you tried that didn't work? How do you set up your meetings? Schedule, themes, how often, do you have different "types" of meetings at different times etc etc. Just trying to organize my thoughts and thought I would see what is working for the rest of you. I know there are lots of ways to organize one I'm just looking for ideas :).

Thanks
Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275

aeminasian
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Alice
Danbury Connecticut
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2011 :  4:57:29 PM  Show Profile
Hi Sabrina,

It's so exciting, isn't it?? I remember eagerly anticipating my packet too! This is going back a few years, but as I recall it took about 5-7 days for the packet to arrive here in Connecticut. I'm not currently an active leader, but I'm part of a wonderful group and we typically meet about once a month and usually meet at our leader's home as it is fairly central for most of us. One time we had a soup swap where all made a soup to bring to an afternoon get-together along with the soup recipe to exchange with each other. That was fun! Another time, most of us arranged to go to a local farm where the theme was to make a pumpkin pie from scratch, start to finish; so this included picking the pumpkin (butternut squash) from the field, gathering eggs from the chickens, milking a cow for the milk, rendering lard, etc. That was quite an experience. Another night, our host had a movie night at her house where we got together for coffee and dessert and then watched a movie and chatted. Another time, we had a guest visitor who actually runs her own farm and she described how to make soap from goats milk. Recently, we got together for an evening of dessert and coffee/tea and learned how to make tags (for gifts) and create neat rubber stamp decorations which two of the gals demonstrated. Mostly we have a potluck dinner and then sit around after and chat and/or do lap work (knitting, cross-stitch, etc). It has been FUN, FUN, FUN. Please keep us posted on your chapter's progress!

Farmgirl #12
Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2011 :  6:10:53 PM  Show Profile
Thanks!! Man I hope my stuff gets here soon its been almost two weeks but maybe they send them out only so often or something. That and my mail tends to be extra slow :(.

Farmgirl Sister #3275
Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  11:44:56 AM  Show Profile
Well I had a package from MJF today I thought it was my starter kit but nope it was the Ideabook my mom bought for me :). Still an awesome package to get but still waiting for my kit :), hopefully soon!!!

Farmgirl Sister #3275
Go to Top of Page

aeminasian
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Alice
Danbury Connecticut
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  3:31:02 PM  Show Profile
How nice of your mom! The Ideabook is wonderful! Well, I would give it another couple of days and if your starter kit package doesn't show up, send them a "just checkin'" email! Two weeks seems to be a little longer than usual, but they may have been dealing with a backlog of requests, who knows? Can't wait to hear when you've received it!!

Farmgirl #12
Go to Top of Page

SylviaE
True Blue Farmgirl

350 Posts

Sylvia
Wichita KS
USA
350 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  3:56:20 PM  Show Profile
Her mom IS very nice:)

Sylvia E
Farmgirl Sister #2871
Go to Top of Page

SylviaE
True Blue Farmgirl

350 Posts

Sylvia
Wichita KS
USA
350 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  3:57:56 PM  Show Profile
Sabrina did not mention that the book was for their 11th anniversary which is Friday.

Sylvia E
Farmgirl Sister #2871
Go to Top of Page

aeminasian
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Alice
Danbury Connecticut
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  4:47:26 PM  Show Profile
Nice! Congrats and enjoy your special day, Sabrina!

Farmgirl #12
Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  6:15:38 PM  Show Profile
Thanks!! Unfortunately hubby is out of town, but we are used to that, our anniversary (and his b-day) seems to be the holiday we ALWAYS miss. So glad to have the Ideabook and be able to have all the patterns and suggestions on hand!! THANKS MOM! I can't believe how fast it got here. I will send an email if I don't get it by the end of the week though :).

Farmgirl Sister #3275
Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  2:26:53 PM  Show Profile
Ok my packet came! Now some more questions....

Do you charge for membership into your chapter? Do they have to be official sisterhood members to be chapter members? If so how many meetings do you let them attend before joining the sisterhood? Or do you just "encourage" them to?

Can we make copies of the membership certificates or will MJF send us more? Is there a PDF we could print???

Anything other suggestions?

Farmgirl Sister #3275
Go to Top of Page

aeminasian
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Alice
Danbury Connecticut
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  2:57:43 PM  Show Profile
YAY!!!! So glad to hear your packet arrived. No, there is no charge for membership in our chapter. I don't know if any other chapters do so, as I have never seen it mentioned. Of course, if you go to an event or special outing, everyone pays their own way. I think it works well to do a potluck type of get-together, because by having everyone bring something, it doesn't burden the host with having to pay for all the food and supplies and prepare everything herself. And no, they do not have to be official sisterhood members to join a chapter. In fact, when we first started getting together, the majority of gals were not sisterhood members. Many have since joined so they can participate to earn MaryJanes badges. I guess it's fair to say that our chapter leader never insisted that people join, but I think especially at the first gathering, some people just didn't realize what it was all about, so she encouraged them to check out MaryJane's website. Also, at the first meeting, she had MaryJane's magazines and books out for people to check out and as people became more interested in all things MaryJane, they wanted to join the sisterhood. As for the PDF, I don't recall seeing one, but I think you could make copies yourself. If you don't need them right away, if you send them an email and request more supplies, they would just send you more. Can't think of anything else at the moment. I'm just so happy to hear your packet arrived!

Farmgirl #12
Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  3:34:44 PM  Show Profile
Thank you!!! I think you answered all my questions! I figured I would just charge if we did something that either cost money (pay your own way like you said) or if we did something like a craft or recipe and everyone took something home I would just split up the actual cost of supplies. Otherwise I really want everyone to be welcome and feel like they can come! I did notice that the certificates say "charter member" so maybe I'll figure out something that just says member. We will see. Thanks for your input!!
Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275
Go to Top of Page

aeminasian
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Alice
Danbury Connecticut
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  8:06:17 PM  Show Profile
You're welcome, glad I could help! By the way, I don't think you have to worry about the "charter" part - I just double-checked mine and we all got the same certificate whether we belonged to the sisterhood or not. That's fine. By the way, I forgot to mention one of the other things we did as a chapter was attend a canning and preserving class at an agricultural extension of a college here in Connecticut. Also, one day a bunch of the girls went to a flea market - I couldn't make that one, but I think they had a nice day. No need for anything really lavish or expensive. And the best day of all was the day that a few of us got to meet MaryJane and her daughter Megan in NYC. Here's the link which includes pictures if you're interested! www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=42349. Best day EVER!

Farmgirl #12
Go to Top of Page
  Farmgirl Chapter Chatter: Previous Topic Question for chapter leaders Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page