New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic fall gardens Next Topic  

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2006 :  2:30:34 PM  Show Profile
I know it's 100 degrees, but I'm thinking about a fall garden - I have had a summer garden for probably 16 years; we till it up every March and plant tomatoes, peppers, basil and every other herb you can think of. Occasionally have tried other things, but these are the standards. Now, I want to double the size of my garden - I have room - and rotate my crops more and add some cool weather vegetables. We live in SE Texas, so it stays hot till late October; does anyone have ideas on what I can grow down here - lettuce? carrots? spinach? onions? I know my grandfather always had potatoes, so I'm sure I can do that. But strangely, I'm not sure where to even get my starts. I need to contact my local garden center and feed store to see if they have things for fall gardens. I've just never tried one before - have y'all had success?

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2006 :  2:44:47 PM  Show Profile
I just started some lettuce for planting later, and I think there is plenty of time left for another crop of peas and cabbage and beets and maybe even two or three rounds of radishes... You're in Texas so you could probably do all of those plus some other things before it gets cold...

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

Georgia
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Angie
ballwin mo
USA
92 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2006 :  08:28:44 AM  Show Profile
I am wanting to do a fall garden too. I have been reading up on it and it seems all root vegetabkes are good for fall planting as well ans cucumbers, and squash. If you didn't get enough in the summer!

dreamer
Go to Top of Page

santa_gertrudis_gal
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Kim
Groesbeck Texas
USA
198 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2006 :  09:01:32 AM  Show Profile  Send santa_gertrudis_gal a Yahoo! Message
Ooooh....how I wish I could plant a fall garden. Here's the list as I live in Brazoria County.

Definite fall crops that will last through light frosts:

Cabbage - no need to cover in a light frost
Lettuce - leaf does best
Carrots - no need to cover in a light frost
Broccolli
Cauliflower - make sure you tie them up to get good heads
Radishes
Green Onions
Garlic - get with the Garlic Lady on this, she's the expert
Beets
Winter Squash - must cover for any frost and they are iffy

Other fall crops - until first frost (plant first of August)

Corn - iffy crop, choose a very early variety
Tomatoes - started plants or if your spring ones have survived they will start producing again in September after it cools a little.
Squash - choose early variety
Potatoes - I've always had to start my potatoes from store bought ones in the fall, I set them on a tray in a cool dark place so the eyes will sprout and then I cut and plant. I don't have quite the success as in spring, but I usually will get half my starters to sprout and produce about half what will grow in spring. I start mine the second week in July, under the sink. You might still be able to get some going.
Green and Wax Beans - choose early variety
Cucumbers - I get a few off an early variety, more trouble then it's worth.

The only thing I've never had sucess with is Green Peas and Lima Beans during either planting season.

Hope that helps from one who lives in SE Texas, too. Wish I had time for a veggie garden again.

Kim

Heaven is a day at the ranch with my Santa Gertrudis!

Edited by - santa_gertrudis_gal on Jul 27 2006 09:04:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2006 :  6:50:48 PM  Show Profile
If you don't have seeds left over from spring planting you might find you have some trouble buying seeds now at discount outlets. I went to Lowes and Home Depot and Meijers and Target and at all the places I was told that they have "vendor-managed inventory" the seed vendor buys back all the seeds that haven't sold by a certain date (I went looking in late June) and takes them out of the store! (Target had some left, but they were the high-priced yuppie seeds at $2.50 or higher per package price, I thought that was too much. Especially since I am entranced by the packages and had 10 or 11 of them in my hot little hands - I relunctantly put them all back)

I have found some really cheap seeds at dollar stores and at TSC farm supply stores. Priced like 10 packages for a dollar. These seem to be older varieties. I didn't try the mail-order places like Burpee and Territorial seed that I order from in February, so don't know what their policies are as far as late orders. But don't be discouraged, they are out there!

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

Garden_artist
True Blue Farmgirl

182 Posts

Tammy
Southern Coast Oregon
182 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2006 :  09:25:12 AM  Show Profile
I started my winter squash in late May. Our growing season is so short here for anything that needs warmth, that I thought this would give me the best results. So far the pumpkins are doing well, but the other squash is still pretty slow going. Hopefully some of them will make it. I am also experimenting this year. We have deer here like crazy and I had to deer fence off the orchard. So I decided to grow all of my squash and melon plants out in the orchard in 20gal containers. They seem to be doing pretty well, but I am sure they would do better in the ground. Maybe next year.

If you need seeds you can always go online to seedsaver.com. We carry their seeds here at our nursery and I can get them in throughout the year. I still have a lot of seeds here at the nursery, so if you are just looking for single packs I may have it here, just let me know. Our seeds are $2.50 per pack (same as seedsavers on the internet).

Last year on Renees Garden website, she listed the best fall crops. You may want to try looking at her site for some more suggestions.

Happy planting.
Tammy

When I feel spring coming I have to plant or I’ll go crazy!
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2006 :  3:08:01 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for all the great ideas! I want this garden not only for my family, but because my 12 year old son is insisting on feeding his rabbits organic vegetables!! I buy these for our family, but now have to buy for them too! Would be more cost-efficient all the way around to grow the root vegetables that rabbits love...He's into Jane Goodall's Harvest for Hope, too.
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic fall gardens Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page