LouisvilleMom
True Blue Farmgirl

246 Posts

Kathryn
Louisville KY
USA
246 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  11:34:29 PM  Show Profile
Now that we are getting our land we also get a tractor! I am super excited! I need recommendations from those who know more than us (which is not hard at all). We are looking at a medium sized tractor that can mow, brush hog, move wood, etc. We will have a large garden but we are not looking to farm full time or anything.

Thanks in advance ladies!

SAHM mom to four great boys.

http://ksfarnsworth.blogspot.com/

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  05:21:50 AM  Show Profile
We have a New Holland TC55 which can use all kinds of attachments. It is easy to operate.

Luanne

beekeepersgirl #691

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
Go to Top of Page

nabrown42
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Nancy
Caneyville KY
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  05:44:40 AM  Show Profile
DH is in KY right now looking for one for our 39 acres. He looked at a small used Ford that does everything, too. It has all been overhauled and a great price. I'll know today if he decides to buy it.

Nancy B.

"I've wept in the night for the shortness of sight that to someone's needs I've been blind; but I've yet to feel a twinge of regret for being a little too kind."
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  08:41:56 AM  Show Profile
I think the last issue of MJF talked about different tractors and features. It had good advice.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4213 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4213 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2011 :  05:47:28 AM  Show Profile
Just to get an idea, go to a dealership. Tell them how you plan on using it, and they will give you all the details on horsepower, and pto power needed. We got out last tractor from a dealership. They stood behind it and fixed it when we had a problem right off the bat.
And maybe figure just a bit bigger, just in case?? Ideas always can change.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

jclambert
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Judy
Stringtown Oklahoma
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2011 :  2:07:34 PM  Show Profile
We have 3 tractors. Our smallest is a 40 hp John Deere and we use it for brush hogging, running a log splitter, and moving hay. My husband calls it his "bread and butter tractor". The other 2 are 80 and 90 hp we use in the hay field. They both have cabs and air conditioners and heaters. Great for the hay field in the summer and feeding cattle in the winter.
I would go with a little more horsepower than you think you will need since you will probably find more uses for it than you expect.

Judy

"Courage is when you're licked before you begin but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what". Atticus Finch - To Kill a Mockingbird
Go to Top of Page

LouisvilleMom
True Blue Farmgirl

246 Posts

Kathryn
Louisville KY
USA
246 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2011 :  2:22:33 PM  Show Profile
It will be used on a 7 Acre hobby farm. The thing it will be most used for is mowing but we will need it for brush hogging the two back acres and tilling the garden. We need an auger attachment and definitely a front loader. We like the Kubota 2910 and the 3010. We are also looking at a John Deere 4300 or a New Holland tc30.

Never thought I would be so excited over a tractor!

Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2011 :  09:01:20 AM  Show Profile
Definitely get one with four wheel drive options and a front loader!! We also got two sets of tires and wheels for ours. We put the turf tires on when we mow the yard and use the ag tires for serious farmwork and in the winter. The ag type tires will tear up your grass and make track in no time, but the turf tires are a lot friendlier to your grass. You won't get very good traction, even with 4 wheel drive with the turf tires though. I got stuck on the downhill side of our compost pile trying to scoop up some nicely seasoned compost for our garden beds. I had to end up dumping the load and walking myself out of the compost using the front loader. We have a little over 11 acres and four equines, and our New Holland 1725 has always been enough for our needs.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
A Beehive is the ultimate Home Sweet Home
Go to Top of Page

sissarge
True Blue Farmgirl

502 Posts

Linda
Montgomery Texas
USA
502 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2011 :  09:22:39 AM  Show Profile
I have Kubota 3240 we have 15 acres, only really mow and use about 10 of it. about 1 1/2 acre is a little lake. I love my tractor, I agree with going to different places and checking them out, we went to 5 different brands and locations, settled on Kubota, because of ease of use and attatchments, and then they recommended little more power for us, because we will use it more than we think, it is great, I use it all the time, for hay, mowing, bush hogging, tilling my garden and moving anything as we have a front end loader. I would not take any thing for my loader, it is used for all things, even as simple as walking the property and loaded limbs, or moving anything. I love my tractor. Farmgirl#946 Linda
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2011 :  1:34:07 PM  Show Profile
We have a Kubota. It says LB702 on the side. It is 50 hp. We bought one big enough to run a baler. We do not have a baler yet. We use the auger, the limespreader, and a brush hog. The auger is wonderful. We did break the auger and had a reinforced spine put in it. I would like to get a back hoe and a rototiller. Thro front bucket saves a lot of time. We have forks to put on the front of the bucket that I lift up the trees to cut into firewood length so I do not need to bend over so far.

When we researched American made tractors the only ones at the time were the really big John Deere's and our fields are too small to need a big JD. Our biggest field is 20 acres.

Holly

Go to Top of Page

nabrown42
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Nancy
Caneyville KY
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2011 :  3:22:17 PM  Show Profile
DH ended up buying the old but in great shape tractor. The farmer will be delivering it this week. It has a grader and bush-hog attachments. We have a gravel driveway, a looooong gravel driveway so the grader will come in handy and we have a huge open meadow that needs to be cleared out.

He had the land perk tested for the tenant's place we're putting up on one corner of the land and was told the soil was fantastic! We never expected that...just rocky soil with a lot of clay was what we expected. DH is taking sam[les to the Extension office to have it tested so that we can start augmenting the soil where the garden will be. I'm actually getting excited about the move and what the future will hold. Can't wait to take a ride on the tractor! I used to love riding on one at my uncles farm in New York but that was a whole lot bigger than this one will be. If you see a crazy old woman tooling around the back roads of Butler KY screaming YIPPEEE!, you'll know it's me!

"I've wept in the night for the shortness of sight that to someone's needs I've been blind; but I've yet to feel a twinge of regret for being a little too kind."
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2011 :  4:25:47 PM  Show Profile
Linda, my husband manages a well known equipment dealership about 2 hours from you. He could call you all, or you could come down and he could show you!!! :)

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

LouisvilleMom
True Blue Farmgirl

246 Posts

Kathryn
Louisville KY
USA
246 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2011 :  8:33:03 PM  Show Profile
We are leaning towards the Kubota L3800 HST. It seems that it will do everything we need. It is a tad biggerthan what we need but we are hoping to buy more land in the future and better to be too big than too small.

Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Tractor? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page