Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Best sewing machine for a beginner?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Best sewing machine for a beginner? Next Topic  

Sharon Denise
True Blue Farmgirl

211 Posts

Sharon
Temple TX
USA
211 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  2:44:32 PM  Show Profile
Hello all! I was just curious what recommendations you might have for a new sewing machine. I've never sewn before and am looking for a good machine to learn on, preferably one that is also good for basic quilting. I really just have no idea where to start and am not sure how to sort out all the "features" into ones that are absolutely essential and those that get used maybe once a year but add $100 to the price. :-)

What kind do you use? Is there anything you wish you could change? What's your favorite item you've made with it? Feel free to share pics!

"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. Yet that will be the beginning."
~Louis L'Amour

vmfein
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Valerie
Dale City VA
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  2:57:44 PM  Show Profile
Everyone has their preference, but the main thing is for you to try them out before you purchase to see which one works for you. I have an Elna as do my mom, grandma and great-grandmother.

Farmgirl Sister #2619

http://www.etsy.com/shop/vmfein
Go to Top of Page

mindy_marie
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

Mindy
Fargo ND
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  3:24:36 PM  Show Profile
Hi Sharon! I bought a Pacesetter PS-1000 by Brother for my 18th birthday and I've been quilting and sewing on it for 11 years now. I love it! It was a bare bones model, probably the cheapest they made, but I've never wished for more. What I love about it: it's simple to use(it has numbers to direct you how to thread it even), just knobs to change stitch and tension setting, and it NEVER jams... NEVER. I used to sew on my mom's old singer and wrecked plenty of projects as her machine ate the fabric. I don't know if they still make the model I have, but it was only $180 when I got it. Hope that helps!!

Mindy
Farmgirl #3290
Go to Top of Page

Sharon Denise
True Blue Farmgirl

211 Posts

Sharon
Temple TX
USA
211 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  5:09:07 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Valerie! Do fabric stores let you test drive? Mindy, that sounds like the kind of machine I'm looking for! Thanks so much for the tip! I had been looking at another Brother that was on sale, so it's good to know their machines seem to last.

"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. Yet that will be the beginning."
~Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

Sharon Denise
True Blue Farmgirl

211 Posts

Sharon
Temple TX
USA
211 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  5:53:34 PM  Show Profile
I totally lucked out on Freestyle.com and got a wonderful Singer with a cabinet!!! LOVE it! It only does straight stitch, but that's probably all I can handle for awhile anyway! :-)

~Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  7:15:22 PM  Show Profile
Awesome! I got a New Home machine on Freecycle as well. I need to get it cleaned. But, it's really good too! I also bought one off craig's list.

I doubt I will ever have the money for a brand new machine in the quality I want. So I think I will probably always get mine from Freecycle or CL!

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sharon Denise
True Blue Farmgirl

211 Posts

Sharon
Temple TX
USA
211 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  08:50:50 AM  Show Profile
That's great, Heather! I'm so glad those resources are around these days. I also probably won't ever be able to buy one new.

~Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  2:23:02 PM  Show Profile
oh I just seen about the straight stitch, keep looking in your area on craig's list for one that at least also does a zig zag and/or stretch stitch. It will give you a lot more options. You don't really need more then a straight and zig zag and/or straight stitch to do a TON of things, especially clothing. The zig zag and stretch stitches help you do things like finish edges, put on elastic, sew knit fabrics, etc. Most machines have them even if they are just mechanical and have nothing else. I am sticking with mechanical myself. I really don't feel a need for electric or computerized.

I looked up Waco Tx for you, showed one in Hubbard, it's a Sears Kenmore near you for only 10 dollars, says it needs adjustment though but works. I've heard good things about the Sear's Kenmore's.

I've heard conflicting things about singer. For the most part looks like Waco area sells the same things I see around here, LOTS of singers. Check all the areas near you, you are willing to travel to. I noticed when I was looking on CL (which I need to keep looking cause I still want a Bernina 930!) areas differ greatly in what you will find! Around my area TONS of Singers! However, if I look just across the border in Oklahoma I find the Bernina's (so far though only newer ones, and not the models I want). Yet if I go up near Kansas City area I find the Necchi's. And stumbled upon this one I bought off CL that is called a Dial N' Sew. Then I decided to venture and look in my inlaw's area in Long Island, NY a TON of Sear's Kenmore's! I mean a TON! Some look so good, but I can't really really rely on my inlaws to go and actually get one so I didn't inquire on any just curious what I would find. I guess I should of thought of looking on CL before moving from Queens, NY! It just never occured to me, till I was asking this owner of the fabric store I love here for help in finding one and she told me to look on CL!

I personally would keep looking on CL and Freecycle. BTW, I almost got a free kenmore but it didn't shut off they said, and it was too far to drive for one that didn't work well. Considering gas prices. But, like I said just keep looking till you find one that also does a zig zag and/or stretch stitches. (stretch and zig zag are two different stitches, both are great if you ever decide to do any fabrics that have any kind of stretch to them, and even non stretch fabrics need the edges done in a zig zag so that they don't fray.)

I am so glad CL and Freecycle exist too. I figure it's how I will probably get my machines for the most part, unless Anne (the store owner I was speaking of) gets one in, cause some times some one wanting to get rid of one theirs will take it into her shop to sell. But, she's even said that's how she gets most her machines is CL. And not that she is rich, but I know from the popularity of her shop (people from all over the world order from her and take classes from her) and her husband has a pretty good job too, they probably aren't hurting for money. So if even she thinks it's a better thing to get off CL then to buy new, I'll go by her authority on it. ;o)

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  2:39:30 PM  Show Profile
ok I was too tempted so I went back to CL in your area and actually found Temple this time, I think I found a awesome machine for you! I'm not sure about it though. But, I think I would be jumping on it. It looks a lot like the Dial N Sew I bought-and love by the way! http://killeen.craigslist.org/for/2510631258.html It's only 25 dollars! It looks fantastic.

Since I didn't know much about this brand, I looked on sewing.patternreviews.com to see if I could find anything about them.

I found this really detailed review about them. http://sewing.patternreview.com/SewingMachine/Review/1/3157

If I lived in your area I'm quite sure I would jump on this one!

WOW there's also another one-http://killeen.craigslist.org/for/2474142430.html it is 50 dollars though, but comes with a sewing table.

Again seems things are so regional! lol

I came back to edit, that I am reading more on the review of the above machines. And one thing I really didn't think I would use much but find myself using ALL the time, is it has a adjustable needle position! This is something you will not find in the medium to lower end machines now a days at all. I never thought I would use it much, like I said, but I find myself constantly using it! When I want to make a little 1/4 inch hem because I'm going to fold again and hem a second time (this helps the fraying again) it helps so much for me to put the needle over all the way to the right. Then sometimes I have something I want really wide, or just on the other side of it, say like adding elastic or lace to something then I will do the right side with the needle to the right and the left side of that same thing putting the needle all the way to the left. Helps so much more then I really ever thought. I must say when Anne had me to it on her old Bernina I really didn't understand it. (I was probably overwhelmed by learning too much that day) but since I now have a machine with that feature, I just find myself using it almost daily! I put it back in the middle for doing regular stuff though like seam allowances that are medium. (again if I want a narrow seam allowance though I move the needle over!).

Edited by - MagnoliaWhisper on Jul 27 2011 2:45:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  2:48:50 PM  Show Profile
Oh and BTW, Valorie, Elna is on my list too! Bernina or Elna either one. I doubt I will ever get a Elna though because of that regional thing. No where any where around here ever has the Elna's on CL. But, if I ever seem to find one I will probably jump on it too. If you are reading this, could you tell me a good model number to look for, as for manual goes?

Edited by - MagnoliaWhisper on Jul 27 2011 2:55:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

vmfein
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Valerie
Dale City VA
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2011 :  04:37:51 AM  Show Profile
Sharon sewing machine dealers will let you test their machines, their shops should be listed on a sewing machine companies website. I have an Elna 5100 but it has been several years ago so I am not sure they sell it anymore (as of course new models always come out every yr). All of my other family members machines were purchased back in the 50's to 60's time frame and still work. They haven't had any major repairs yet. here is the elna usa website http://www.elnausa.com/en-us/index.php

The dealer near me usually has a few machines on clearance once the new ones start coming in. So you might be able to get a good deal on them. Just to let you know the Elna's are usually pricey but you can always try it out and try to haggle the price.

Looks like Elna has a location in Wichita,

The Sewing Center 2101 W 21st St
Wichita, KS 67203 3168320819
Website 10.40 mi

Farmgirl Sister #2619

Go to Top of Page

Pasthyme
True Blue Farmgirl

99 Posts

Gail
Mountain View AR
99 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2011 :  05:02:02 AM  Show Profile
I sew for a living, and I use everything from a 1928 treadle, to a 1947 featherweight, to a modern Janome. I also have a Bernina that I bought when I was doing alterations--I wanted a modern all metal machine. A word of warning with the Bernina---the hook on mine is plastic and cost $100 to replace when a loose needle put a nick in it. Bernina machines use a different presser foot than standard, so you will need to get a foot adapter (about $15)which works with many of the standard feet, or use only their presser feet (expensive). They also use a slightly different bobbin than the standard 15. It is very much like the class 15, but just a tad different and much more expensive. I use the class 15 bobbins on it, and it works ok---the difference seems to be when you wind the bobbin thread on the bobbin. I had a student with a cheap Janome which was a nightmare--lots of tension problems. I have a mid range Janome ($400) which I love. I also have a Brother machine from Walmart. It makes the best and easiest buttonholes, but I wore out or broke the first one before I had it 2 years. I also have problems with the tension. It's cheap to replace, though. Used machines are great if you know what you are doing. The old ones can usually be repaired, but the computerized ones are not worth repairing unless they are top of the line machines. I would recommend going to a machine dealer and purchasing a used machine that has been refurbished. Try before buying and ask a lot of questions. A good dealer will help you find the best machine for your needs. Avoid too many bells and whistles---you won't need them. You may want an easy to use automatic buttonhole maker if that is something you think you will use.

www.pasthymesfashions.webs.com
www.ozarkfolkcenter.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2011 :  12:41:26 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Valerie, I know we have the dealer now, that dealer also sells Berninas. But, they are fairly new. In fact that area when I left Kansas 10 years ago was farm land! lol haha They just about 4 or 5 years ago started building stores and such in that area. Before that time we had around three or four sew and vac stores that all dealt mainly Singers. So on Craig's List all you find in my area is singer after singer, and some New Home's thrown in here and there. I would love a "new" machine from a dealer, but, I highly doubt I will ever be able to buy one unless I win the lottery so I'm just looking on Craig's List.

BTW, you may luck out on Craig's List, as the machine I bought was refurbished, by a retired engineer that refurbishes sewing machines as a hobby. I'm hoping he comes across a bernina or elna some day to refurbish! I have told him to call me if he does! lol

Also Gail I don't know a lot about machines, but I have heard that the newer bernina's aren't what the old ones were. I have loved pretty much all the old ones I have used so far. So I'm still hoping and holding my breath to get one of them.

Pretty much on the older machines off craig's list that are manual and not computerized, I'm not too worried about buying used. You can always (and I do!) ask to test them, and a lot of them in my area are in very good shape. As most people took pretty good care of them, when you are talking about "good" machines. The Singers in my area are a dime a dozen (like I said till about 5 years ago that was mainly what was dealt in this area) so I would be more leary of them, and have been told to be pretty leary of them. But, the upscaled manual's so far so good of what I have been seeing. Plus where I live, at Needle Nook Fabrics, the co-owner, Janet, gives a class on refurbishing, cleaning, and sewing for 125 dollars. I plan on taking it next year with my part of the tax money. It's a one on one class (you are the only student), and it last 8 hours, you can choose to take it all in one day or split it into 2 or 3 day segments. You are supposed to know how to refurbish a machine, clean a machine, bring in your own machine if you wish and learn to clean it, and learn to sew at least three garments during the 8 hours of class. I'm thinking she probably takes you through the kwik sew book on the sewing part cause they like to use kwik sew in their other classes they teach there. But, I don't know for sure. Don't care much, as all the clothes I have made with them, they always do all the drafting of the patterns to fit you perfectly-so not exactly the kwik sew pattern, it's more of a customized pattern just for you! But, based on a original kwik sew pattern. I'm not sure how much Janet travels as she has been fighting cancer. But, Anne St. Claire travels all over the place teaching. Here in Kansas she doesn't teach that same class that Janet does, but she probably would if asked in her travels. Anne in her travels mainly teaches bra making classes. She goes to WA, CA, NY, TX, every where, teaching! She's the main owner of Needle Nook, I am really banking on their classes as all the other classes I have taken from them have been top of the line awesome!

Their shop is where I have used the berninas. They are the old manuals, and I just love them! I have used them on Sew In days in their shop and at classes in their shop. You can bring in your own machine for the classes and Sew In's there, but till recently I just had my cheap brother that is a pain in the booty. So I always just opt to use theirs. Much smoother sewing and faster too! lol That's how I figured out I want one of their Berninas. I don't want the 817 though, pretty much that's what I have with my Dial N Sew now, so don't need a second one. But, would like a 830 or 930, or 950. A table top model would be great. lol Even though I am loving my dial n sew that has to be in a desk. However, if it was easier to get a manual for I wouldn't even mind a different table top version of dial n sew. It's a really good machine so far. But, still I think I have my heart set on a old Bernina like at Needle Nook, they just work so well for me there.

Go to Top of Page

Sharon Denise
True Blue Farmgirl

211 Posts

Sharon
Temple TX
USA
211 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  1:45:22 PM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness!!! Heather, thank you SO MUCH for taking the time to look at all that for me!!! I really appreciate the advice and the research. :-) :-) And thank you, Gail and Valerie, for the excellent suggestions as well. It really means a lot! I'll let you know what I end up with. :-) Have a wonderful day!

~Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  9:16:35 PM  Show Profile
Very welcome. I still am searching CL every day! lol

Guess what my sister is moving to Iowa to go to law school. She will be there the next four years.....so lol of course I had to look on CL for her area in Iowa and found they have Elna's!!!! Hurray!!!!!!!!

Now to narrow down which model I want! lol From what I am reading on pattern review website they are just as good if not better then bernina and at a cheaper cost. (however, I'm not finding them much cheaper! lol But, oh well) I know that Anne told me that if I could get a Elna they are super good machines too. So since it looks like it may be more feasible for me to get a Elna from Iowa I need to start researching which model I need to narrow it down to getting! lol

Go to Top of Page

vmfein
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Valerie
Dale City VA
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2011 :  05:45:38 AM  Show Profile
You might be able to haggle a little bit on the price, at least I was able too on mine (I purchased it in VA). here are the Elna dealers in Iowa:

Dealer Address Phone

Sewing Machine Clinic
5201 Lafayette Rd
Elk Run Heights, IA 50707 3192332054

Metro Sales Service
3846 E 14th St
Des Moines, IA 50313 5152657504

Tri-State Sew Vac
1551 Indian Hill Dr. Suite # 5
Sioux City, IA 51104 7122581188

Pepping Inc.
907 Braden Ave.
Chariton, IA 50049 6417742496

Susies Quilts N More
904 Iowa Ave
Onawa, IA 51040 7124239625

Maggies
1913 4th St. SW
Mason City, IA 50401 6414230581

Farmgirl Sister #2619

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2011 :  11:06:17 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Valerie! ;o) I still highly doubt I will be able to afford new. I want a really good machine, but can not afford much more then 200 dollars, that's why I am pretty much just looking on Craig's List, and hoping to find a "steal". What are some of the good older manuals to look for?

Go to Top of Page

Farmer Judy
True Blue Farmgirl

433 Posts

Judy
North Aurora IL
USA
433 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2011 :  12:17:00 PM  Show Profile
I have had Bernina's Singers's,Kenmore's a couple surgers and an old electrified tredle machine. Over time I have gotten rid of everything and have ended up with a Shark from Target. I have had less problems in the two years I have had it than with any of the other sewing machines. Some people think because it is a import and fairly cheap from Target it is doo doo but it has handled clothes, drapes, quilts (kid size) hundred of hats for charity and even jeans so I'm not complaining. Just thought I would chime in too. Good luck!

Judy
Born a city girl but a farm girl at heart!
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2011 :  7:33:50 PM  Show Profile
What years was your machines Judy? I have heard all the above brands are not as good now as the old manuals of the same brands were years ago, personally I have heard none of the above brands have been good since the 80's. I know for sure the singers my family has had since the 80's has just been head aches! That's why I am looking on Craig's List as well, cause I just want older manuals that are heavy and good quality. I'm looking at anything from 50's-80's.

BTW, mine is what is considered a generic Japanese brand. Apparently Japan made many at the time, and they were all heavy duty metal. Dial N' Sew in my brand, another brand I just ran across since being in this thread is Dressmaker, and I've seen some others out there here and there in my looking too. They all look almost the same.

I really love mine, it's so heavy duty I am not afraid of breaking it at all! However, I must say the stitches, especially zig zag just aren't as accurate as the Bernina. I've heard the old Elna's are very accurate on stitching too. Most times though for most of what I am doing now, no one would see my stitching so the accuracy of them aren't that important, however, at some point I want to be able to do Jeans and other sewing that will probably show my stitches, that's where the Bernina and Elna would be really good I think.

I have a Brother from Walmart, that drives me insane, it's light weight moves all over the place, and constantly becomes knotted both in the bobbin and on the backside of my fabric. I can't tell you how many times I have to start all over because of it. Then it also always comes unthreaded for no apparent reason, I will be zipping along thinking I'm making real progress just to look over and see it's not been threaded for who knows how long! lol I have not had that problem at all with the Dial N' Sew. It did get knotted ONE time in the bobbin, but that was more then likely my own not knowing what I was doing. That was either the first or second day I had it, hasn't done it since. My Brother from Walmart did it several times each sewing session! UHG!

Well I need to go cut out another night gown! lol Trying to get six nursing gowns done before baby comes! Plus I need nursing dress, jacket, slip, as well as some skirts. Then I am considering making myself a coat too. Then I want to buy two hot pattern, patterns for blouses I want to start on too! And I have more nursing dresses, I should try. I for sure want a nursing turtle neck this winter! So I need to get started on that too, and, and, and! lol haha

Go to Top of Page

vmfein
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Valerie
Dale City VA
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2011 :  8:06:25 PM  Show Profile
When I am back in Iowa next month I will try to get the numbers of their machines.

Farmgirl Sister #2619

Go to Top of Page

Farmer Judy
True Blue Farmgirl

433 Posts

Judy
North Aurora IL
USA
433 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2011 :  8:42:10 PM  Show Profile
Heather, I sold my Bernina (circa 1979) and bought my Shark in 2004 or 2005, they blur together. Good luck on all the "nursing" clothes, you sure are keeping busy, how many other kids do you have or is this your first? I used to sew for my boys until they were around 9 or 10, then my oldest wanted certain styles of pants and I still was loving making courdaroy pants for the winter. Now I am just working on some quilts, a dress for my MIL, pillowcases for the swap and probably an apron for another swap. My youngest wants me to make fleese sleep pants since they are so comfy and he has touch issues, this would fit the bill.
Go sew sew sew, talk to you another time.

God Bless

Judy
Born a city girl but a farm girl at heart!
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2011 :  12:20:03 AM  Show Profile
lol Valerie, no I wanted to know what is the kind that you have, do you have manual Elna's? And if so what is the model numbers? I am looking for a good one that people already own so they can tell me how they liked them.

Judy this will be our third living child, we had twin boys that died shortly after birth two years ago. We have two girls, and now they are going to have a little brother! ;o) One is 4 and the other one is 1. I just wasn't able to start sewing till last year after we moved here in late fall. Cause we came from NYC in a one bedroom apartment, no room for sewing machines, fabrics, etc etc. We still live in a one bedroom apartment, but it's HUGE, and in Kansas. I have a lot of room to spread out. Plus this apartment is really in my parents basement! lol It's only half the basement, so often when I am tracing or cutting a pattern, I go to their basement (their side) family room, or upstairs to their dining room. In the family room I use the ping pong table, and in the dining room they have a great big tall table-I am the oldest of 17 kids, so the table is HUGE! It's made for us all to sit at! lol haha But, I also like it cause it's almost bar height. Dad later didn't like it that tall and ordered a newer table that is more regular table height (still long though), but it's in the "second" dining room and is what is off the kitchen, so it's the one used daily. The bar height one is only used when company comes-as a "buffet" table. Cause there's a upstairs family room that is also part of the dining room that is next to the kitchen, that has two more very large tables so we can seat about 40 to 60 people between the three tables, so then the second dining room is just used to sit up the food and people to go through like a buffet. Any way, it's a great table for cutting fabric! lol hahaha

And it seems like we have more then enough room here for me to sew! lol haha Didn't have any room at all in NYC. So so glad to be back here and sewing. But, that's why I am just now sewing nursing clothes and such. I did sew some for DD2 last year, but not enough...was always busy nursing her by the time we made it here to Kansas, she was attached to me like a third arm! lol She's still pretty attached, but at least let's me sew for a few minutes at a time now! lol

Go to Top of Page

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2011 :  06:55:13 AM  Show Profile
I've been borrowing friends' machines on and off for years when I have time for a sewing project, but haven't owned one of my own - ever. When my grandmother and mom were alive (they lived together) I could go over and use theirs, but after they were both gone, a family member took it right out of the house (along with all the other sewing equipment they had) without even asking.

I've wanted to buy one of my own, but I've been scared I will buy the wrong one and waste money - even if I buy it secondhand. I think I'll just have to take the plunge soon and hope for the best!

Farmgirl Sister #3243

"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." - Laura Ingalls Wilder
Go to Top of Page

vmfein
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Valerie
Dale City VA
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2011 :  07:57:07 AM  Show Profile
Mine is a Elna 5100, the only thing that is computerized about it is the LCD screen when it tells me the stitch number or stitch length. since it has been out for a few years you might be able to find one at a reasonable price. I got mine when it had been out for a year. here are some of the features.

* 30 built-in stitches including buttonholes
* 6 one-step buttonholes
* Automatic selection of optimal stitch length and width
* Adjustable stitch width up to 7mm
* Adjustable stitch length up to 5mm
* Programmable needle up / down key
* Auto lock stitch key – end of pattern / lock stitch
* Reverse key
* 4 direct selection keys
* LCD screen – displays stitch number, width or length
* Built-in needle threader
* Adjustable speed control
* Strong needle penetration on all fabrics
* Extra-high presser foot lift
* Clip-on presser feet
* Rotary horizontal hook with transparent bobbin cover
* Auto declutch bobbin winder
* Built-in thread cutter
* Metric and inch seam allowance lines
* Free arm
* Feed dog system
* Electronic foot control
* Retractable carry handle

Farmgirl Sister #2619

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2011 :  10:12:01 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the info Valerie, seems like a lot for me to learn! lol haha

Suzanne, if you have a locally owned fabric store, I would frequent in there and make friends with them. That's how I did it. I go in to my locally owned shop quite a bit. They let me use their machines as much as I want too. That being said, when I started looking on Craig's List I would email her the ones I thought might be good, and let her look at them. She told me yes, or no if she thought they would be good, then gave me a list of questions for the seller, and a list of things to test on them when I went to buy-always always always test the machine first! New or used!

Also the man I ended up buying from said he will take as many calls as needed for help with any machines he sold, and he did take quite a bit of time with me at his home showing me the machine and how it worked etc. He also had on the ad that he would take it back with full refund if not happy. He's a retired engineer that restores sewing machines as a hobby. I think I kind of lucked out in that department! I would buy from him again.

Oh and if you did freecycle you wouldn't be out any money at all! FREE! Like I said I did get a pretty good New Home that way but it needs cleaning and looked at I am pretty sure, but really I just need to get it out and go at it probably! It was totally FREE though!

Oh and I only spent 70 on my machine from Craig's List. It came with a LARGE solid wood sewing cabinet/table. I am very happy with the cabinet. However, he would of sold it cheaper with out the cabinet. I also found a machine with a NICE cabinet and in very good condition for 50 dollars on CL but the lady said I barely missed it, by just a few minutes she had just sold it when I contacted her. I've seen what looks like pretty good machines as low as 20 dollars though on CL (with out cabinets). Personally if I was buying a machine that didn't "need" a cabinet (some are free standing, some are not and need the cabinet) I would not of bought the cabinet. Because our apartment has a large built in desk (more then likely for a pc area, but since we now all have laptops it doesn't get used for that!) that was working well for my sewing for my freestanding machine. But, now that I have the table, I kind of like it as well. I like having the drawers for all my sewing stuff (like I said it's a large one) where at my built in desk the drawers and such in it are being used for our storage of bill, important info, extra family pics, etc etc. lol So it is nice to have the drawers all to myself! lol haha But if it hadn't only been a extra 15 dollars and if I had not had the extra 15 and if the machine was freestanding I would be living with out it and be fine probably too! lol

Edited by - MagnoliaWhisper on Jul 31 2011 10:36:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

nancypo
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

nancy
boise idaho
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2011 :  12:41:28 PM  Show Profile
I had 2 used ones in a row die on me, one we bought, one free. I decide to buy a new one. I looked at consumerreports.org (I subcribe), amazon, etc. for reviews. I was going to spend under $100.00, but got this, a bit more, with free shipping. Amazon has excellent customer service.
http://www.amazon.com/SINGER-4411-Heavy-Sewing-Machine/dp/B003VWXZKG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1312400250&sr=8-2

I couldn't find anyone locally that sold the newer singers, and I just do simple sewing projects anyway, but wanted something that could handle heavier fabrics. Not into all the decorative stitches, don't make jeans, etc...

Be the change...

http://littlehomesteadinboise.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Best sewing machine for a beginner? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page