Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Chickens and children Next Topic  

Mea
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Margarette
Manitowoc WI
10 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  08:42:14 AM  Show Profile
So, I've just discovered that I can have chickens in my town (no roosters--for obvious reasons). My brain is now aswirl with visions of the two chickens I desperately desire--and how I'm going to house them over the winter. I've been doing research but was hoping for some practical (been there, done that) advice about which chickens are best with kids. I've read that some breeds are more amenable to children and some are more "grouchy." Any thoughts?

Farmgirl #1732

Knitter, canner, charmingly acerbic mom to 3 XYs, and full-time English teacher--desperately wants 2 chickens

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  6:21:56 PM  Show Profile
If you raise any chickens from babies & let your children hold them most even the grumpy ones when older will be used to the chicken....Buff Orpingtons ( a larger breed) are very gentle 7 don't mind being carried around by a child....Cochins (have leg feathers) are another good breed for children...Barred Rock another good breed

Long Horn & Well summers are flighty once they get older & will not be as good of a breed for children...nor is Rhode Isand Reds

If you are wanting a smaller breed you can't go wrong with Silkies...Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  04:44:04 AM  Show Profile
I have Buffs and 6 game hens. And grandkids all over. The game hens just run from them. The Buffs tolerate them. BUT now the roos are a little different. Since you won't have roos, I would not worry about chickens hurting kids at all. As long as they are taught (the kids) how to treat chickens, they should be fine. I hope you get your hens soon and enjoy them.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  3:20:05 PM  Show Profile
any chickens can be kid friendly/unfriendly, it is how they are raised, with gentleness, slow movements and soft voices, I have had roosters taller than my kids that were as sweet as a kitten, and bantys that were onrey little s..ts, so the main key is for you moma to have a sit down with your babies and show them how to treat animals the right way, and always keep watch, just in case...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Chickens and children Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page