Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 What is your favorite breed of chicken?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic What is your favorite breed of chicken? Next Topic  

HeirloomMomma
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Linda
PA
USA
38 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2011 :  5:07:14 PM  Show Profile
I am raising bantams, and wondering what is everyone's favorite breed of chicken that they raise, or have raised?
We all raise them for different reasons; pets, hobbies, eggs, meat...
I like chickens that lay an average amount of eggs, but I want those that are quiet and gentle!
My favorites to this point are the Orpingtons and the Wyandottes.

Melina
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Melina

USA
435 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  06:00:37 AM  Show Profile
I just love Cochins, especially blue ones. For production I like Barred Rocks, for fun I like Cochin bantams. For variety I like Araucanas or Americanas. Just love those green/blue eggs. If I had unlimited space, I'd have a few of all the brown egg layers and make sure they're a setting type. I love babies running around.

The morning breeze has secrets to tell you. Do not go back to sleep.
Rumi
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  06:08:50 AM  Show Profile
Hi Linda. Welcome. I have Buffs, which are my very favorite. Then I have 1 Barred Roch which is a close 2nd. Then I also have 4 Americana hens which I also love. They would be 3rd. I have 6 game hens that are just absolutely crazy! I like them ok but I cannot get near them unless they are setting on a nest of eggs. Then they are even crazier. I have to wear gloves! I have 7 little game chicks right now trying to sell. And 3 Buff chicks I will keep. They are so stinkin cute. Oh, I forgot the Welsummers. I had one but something got her. I just loved her beautiful dark almost red eggs. I want some more of those. And I would like to try some heritage breeds too.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Megan
True Blue Farmgirl

155 Posts

Megan
Hudson South Dakota
USA
155 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  07:39:29 AM  Show Profile
i like my wyandottes, but another favorite is the buff orphington. We also have black copper marans they lay nice dark brown eggs, and are fairly calm. another personal favorite is the Jappanese bantams but they are just for looks.

www.rockriverexoticsandkennel.net
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  2:33:10 PM  Show Profile
I thought when I first raised chickens I would get all one breed but having injured/sick & healthy hens given to me I hate to say it but I love them all....but as for roosters my little man who is a Seroma (sp?) is the best rooster I have had as far for being gently.....I adore that bred for roosters but he is tiny so he can't really mate well with the big hens but he sure tries.....I know now after having so many different kinds & lots of Easter eggers I will never turn down any of them....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

ChickieMama
True Blue Farmgirl

303 Posts

Angela
Banks Oregon
USA
303 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  7:37:04 PM  Show Profile
I love my Easter Eggers. What a beautiful array of colors they lay!! They are so very friendly too. I have one girl that wants to be held everyday!

Farmgirl Sister#2808
"Happy Hens make Happy Eggs"
http://lazyjoranch.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2011 :  12:16:01 PM  Show Profile
I'm planning on getting some silver dorkings for meat. Such pretty birds!

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  09:10:34 AM  Show Profile
I have barred rocks, but this is the first chickens I've ever had, so I don't have anything to compare to. I do love their color and personalities. So far they are living up to their breed reputation. They aren't old enough yet to lay eggs though....still developing their little hen combs and growing, growing, growing!!

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
A Beehive is the ultimate Home Sweet Home
Go to Top of Page

DeeDee
True Blue Farmgirl

162 Posts

Denise
Wyoming
162 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  4:55:49 PM  Show Profile
I have a Gold Star, a Black Star,a Barred Rock,2 Partridge Rocks,2 Aracuanas. These 7 are the grown hens.The Stars are both fairly gentle and the Black Star still lays 1 or 2 eggs a week at 5 years of age. The 3 rocks are not that great of layers. My Aracuanas are my stars,they hardly ever miss a day. I have 13 week old chicks,3 of them. One is a Silver Cuckoo Marans,one is a Welsummer,and the other is a Salmon Favorelle. Hopefully they are all little hens!

“Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.”
Go to Top of Page

mydakota
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

kristi
redmond oregon
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  1:35:45 PM  Show Profile
I have a Barred Rock hen named Barbi that is very people friendly. I have a piece of wood in my chicken yard for sitting on to talk to the girls. Barbi will jump up in my lap! I think my Wyandottes are the prettiest, but Barbi is my favorite.

HearthCricket Farm. Where the door is always open, and the coffee is always on.
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  6:42:10 PM  Show Profile
My favorites are Ameraucanas. Next in line are Silkies, Polish and Frizzles.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

Do not ask the Lord to guide your footsteps, if you are not willing to move your feet--Dr. Kioni

http://madame1313.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Rachael
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Rachael
Smithfield Utah
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  8:33:01 PM  Show Profile
I LOVE <3 Silkies! We have Black, Grey Splash, and White. They are so cute and sweet! They are my favorite. I also have Barred and a White Rocks (One named Henrietta after the MJF logo.)A Buff Orpington (named Buffy)A Speckled Sussex named Sissy. A black and a red Sexlink. Each different and fun. I really love them all. Ours are pets!

Rachael
Sister #1451

Edited by - Rachael on Jul 22 2011 8:34:46 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic What is your favorite breed of chicken? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page