kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2011 :  6:46:44 PM  Show Profile
Last night I went to my friend who I got Penelope form to bring them some cheese I had made. I had turned onto the road that led to their house and right in the middle of the road with this long rope trailing behind it was a cute little black and white dog. I stopped because my first thought was that that rope could get stuck on something and the dog would be stuck. So I got out and she came to me. I felt her neck and the rope was tied so tight around her neck I could not get my finger under it. That made me mad. I tried my knife but it's not very sharp. Thank goodness I had my goat hoof trimmers with me and used them to cut the rope. Darn idiots who tie up a puppy and then forget that they GROW! So I put her in the back of my Trooper and took her home. She is adorable and so sweet and friendly. She is a short haired Border Collie and 5-6 months old.

Here in lies the problem. BUBBA! Who hates strnge dogs. And cats and kittens for that matter. (Some of you might remember the poor little stray kitten incident.) Anyway, I put her in the wire dog crate under the apple tree. Bubba ran around it and went crazy barking at her. I told him NO! every time he did it. he finally settled down some. Bit I do not trust him at all. I have to keep him away from her. I took her with me today to Mrs. T's. I had to be there all day. She has a very shady dog kennel and she stayed in there. Itook her out several times during the day to walk her. I got her a cute pink color and leash. My Dd lives on the sam estreet and she has my grand dog Daisy the Boxer. They cam eover and they had fun together. Why can't Bubba have fun with other dogs? Now I don't know what to do. I had thought about getting a BC for my sheep.

I will keep trying to get Bubba to get used to her. Maybe he will. He is 4 1/2.

I named her Stella Luna. I really want to keep her. I put a little thing about finding her on Craig's list just now. Darn idiots. I'm sure someone dropped her off. I am so glad she got away from them.

So any hints for Bubba?

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Jul 22 2011 04:56:29 AM

Melina
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Melina

USA
435 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  05:54:52 AM  Show Profile
I work with rescue and introducing a new dog is one of the biggest challenges. If he will tolerate it, put Bubba on a leash, put Stella Luna (love the name) on a leash and introduce them in a fairly neutral place. Make it far away from his favorite places, so he doesn't feel she is taking over his territory. Let there be sniffing, but be ready to pull them apart if necessary. If she truly is that young, there should be a small amount of "puppy grace" still attached to her. Most dogs, even aggressive males, won't hurt a puppy. She is just about at the stage where that wears off, though.
Slow and easy does it, and treats for good behavior are always in order. Good luck to all of you. Bubba might have found a new friend.

The morning breeze has secrets to tell you. Do not go back to sleep.
Rumi
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  06:04:20 AM  Show Profile
I love border collies ! I hope you can keep her. Sounds like she needed a good home for sure.If I lived closer I would sneak over and take her.
Hope it all works out for you and the little dog. So glad you found her and cut that tight rope off her neck.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  06:11:57 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the advice, Melina. She is such a sweet dog. Did I mention she is a short haired Border Collie? I have thought about getting one because I have sheep now and will be needing some help moving them from place to place. She saw them last night and ran at them. I shouted "that'll be all, Stella!" and she stopped. I have been watching herding videos and that's what they say. So I am going to try getting Bubba a little closer today. And I do have some treats for him.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  06:24:03 AM  Show Profile
i hope bubba can make nice with the little collie. you are right about more animals. LOL do we ever have enough? we go today to check out the special needs cow. i am hopeful we will bring her home. i sure need the milk. we are looking at another cow also. they say we are going to warm up now. its been in the 60s. the forecast now is for hot. so maybe my garden will grow. well i am so excited i need to keep moving or i might pop. need to get chores done. heres hoping the horse trailer will do fine for the trip and the car. we have not even seen this girl yet. the sun is out today so the trip over the mountain should be beautiful. how are all the goatie kids doing? we still have ours. growing like weeds they are. well gotta get ready to go. yipee happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  06:25:29 AM  Show Profile
well i got my posts crossed. sorry kris i wrote on the dog one about the cow. gads i am still asleep.

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  06:40:59 AM  Show Profile
I wish you good luck. My Great Pry's will not allow any dog for any reason here.... They do seem to forgive white dogs but not colored - strange but since we have only had white dogs here Great Pry's and American Eskimos they only understand white... I know strange!!!

It is terrible what goes on the in the world - how it is O.K. is mistreat animals is the start of mistreating humans... Sick..

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  06:57:03 AM  Show Profile
Keep working with Bubba, Kris. I think he will eventually come around. We still have a few scuffles in our household clan (of 4) but largely, after they figure out who's the pack leader, it's a lot easier. Melina has some great advice on how to keep the peace and introductions. Just keep her. I hate to say it, but folks who would tie a BORDER COLLIE up with rope (let alone any dog) don't deserve one, anyway. She's going to be a great dog!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  07:01:53 AM  Show Profile
Well, I just tightened up Bubba's collar and put a leash on him and took him out on the step. I had to hold his head and mouth. He sniffed a little then growled at her. I had a hard time keeping Stella off him! I turned her around and let him sniff all over her while holding him so tight my hand hurt. I would say bad Bubba when he growled and good boy with lots of pats when he was good. But he just wants to lunge at her. I am so afraid he will just attack her. I will try again later. And do this several times a day.

I forgot to say, Melina, that one time a friend came out with all her kids and a Australian Shep. very small female puppy. I didn't know she had the puppy and when all the kids piled out so did the puppy. And there was Bubba like a fly on poop and I thought he was going to kill that poor little thing. She got away and ran to the garage and he was right back on her. So he doesn not even like little tiny puppies. He's a bad dog. He's a yellow lab mix.

Sherrye, that's ok. I know you are so busy and probably operating on just a few hours sleep right now. Hope all goes well with the cow.

Grace, that's funny about your dogs. But they do know.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  08:35:47 AM  Show Profile
I hope things work out for little Stella Luna. She sounds like a sweetie. She and Bubba may never be best friends...some dogs are just like that, just like people, but perhaps once Bubba realizes that she is a permanent fixture at your place then he will begin to tolerate her. Just try not to push it too much too fast and let them get into a situation where he could get to her and harm her. Keep them together, but separate, if that makes sense, like keeping them on opposite sides of baby gates, etc.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
A Beehive is the ultimate Home Sweet Home
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  08:54:44 AM  Show Profile
I just put the big dog crate in the living room and put Stella in it. Then let Bubba come in. He ran over there with tail wagging then wanted outside again. I'll keep it like this and see what happens. He's coming back in in a few minutes. He hates being outsied when it's so hot. I think this will work to get him used to her and realize she's staying here with us.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  10:16:38 AM  Show Profile
..praying for you and all the critters.
(((HUGS)))

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My Blog: ...following my heart, dreams and Jesus ...http://karrieann-followingmyheartandjesus.blogspot.com/
My Etsy ...Yesterday's Scraps, Tomorrow's Treasures ...http://www.etsy.com/shop/2TomorrowsTreasures
Go to Top of Page

Bushel n Peck
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

Tracy
Truly MT
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  10:57:54 AM  Show Profile
God Bless you for taking in an abandoned pup! I hope Bubba will become her buddy!

Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at the testing point.
C. S. Lewis

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  11:13:55 AM  Show Profile
It ain't lookin' too good so far. But ya just never know. It's only been a few days. And yesterday she was with me in town all day. Today has been really fun for sure. I hope he settles down and kind of likes her a little. I really like this little girl and I hope I get to keep her. She's outside now. Bubba is so spoiled. He will stay in all day out of the heat. And the flies drive him crazy too. So he'd rather be in. And I think Stella likes being out.

Thanks, Kerrieann. How is your rescue dog doing? Haven't heard any new "tails" about him. And how did your other dog react to him when you brought him home?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  12:57:00 PM  Show Profile
My new pug is aggressive towards all other dogs, until we hold the other dog, so she can sniff it's rear. I think it's a submissive thing. After that she is fine.

Trish

Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  1:42:27 PM  Show Profile
I've never tried this, but I've read that if you put the two of them together in the back seat of a car and go for a drive, they'll learn to get along. Something about how they won't fight if the car is moving. And it's neutral territory. Sounds good, but like I said, I've never tried it.
cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  1:59:56 PM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness. I just had visions of a blood splattered back seat and windows when I read your post Cindy! I'd be pulled over for sure for murder. I would be afraid to try that. I'd have to have someone throw Bubba in while I'm going down the driveway.

So someone just mentioned to me that I should try to find the owner. Or at least take her to a vet to see if she's been micro chipped. They said she might have run away or gotten lost and someone found her and tied her up. I really don't think so but I will take her to my vet on Monday just to see if she has a chip. I'd love to know what happened to her to be tied up so tight with a nylon rope.

Trish, I did let Bubba sniff the back end and he was ok til she turned around again. I just don't know.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  3:33:56 PM  Show Profile
I too hope you make sure that a family isn't looking for her and in agony about it, like someone said, could have been tied up by someone that found her before you, or she was struggling and pulled the rope tight herself, you never know...also regarding your other dog excepting her, is he neutered, that will help with him acepting other animals, also does he have basic obedience training, that would help also, and never intro them in his territory, only neutral areas, and bubba needs all the attention during this, otherwise he will react in jealousy....slow, slow and slow some more...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  3:47:02 PM  Show Profile
Yes he was neutered at about 7 months old. He has just always been this way. And he has not had any training. I am afraid to take him.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  05:04:57 AM  Show Profile
I have been keeping Stella in the cat room at night. And Bubba is just out. Well, this morning, I go out to feed Sophie and Bubba. I noticed Stella wasn't at the cat room door wanting out. I kind of panicked. I looked for the sheep because I thought maybe she had gotten out the back window and the back gate to the back yard was open. But I saw all the sheep and the goats too. Then I turned around and there she was eating Sophie's food. And Bubba saw her and went her way. I panicked again and grabbed her up and put her inside. But I do believe she must have been outside all night with Bubba. So I just let Bubba in when he was done eating then put them together. He just sniffed her and walked off.

So all this time of him seeing her was a good thing. Now I do believe they are going to be best buds. He is almost 5 and quite fat and lazy already. So he won't be that much fun for Stella. She's young and full of puppy energy right now. He just wants to be inside in the AC and under the fan.

So it has worked out after all my fears of Bubba wanting to kill Stella. I am so happy. I am taking her to the vet in Summerville just to see if there is a chip in her. Just in case.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  05:40:15 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That is wonderful news, Kris! I am so glad they seem to be doing better! Still be cautious though!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  11:36:18 AM  Show Profile
Kris, your story reminded me of my first dog, also a border collie. She was an escape artist and had no trouble clearing a 6' high wooden fence. We tried chaining her to the patio and she would break the chain every time! We finally put a chain on her that was so heavy she couldn't hold her head up very long. We got home from work that night and what do you know, even that chain was broke! After that and several threats from the dog catcher, we started keeping her inside. They are strong and resourceful dogs! Sounds like she's got the instincts for herding if she's already wanted to go after the sheep! Enjoy your little treasure!

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  11:39:12 AM  Show Profile
That's great, Kris, but I'll bet she takes the pounds off of ole' Bubba. A younger dog is ALWAYS energizing for an older (lazy) one :) I'm really happy for you--sounds like it's turning out alright!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  4:20:44 PM  Show Profile
I like it when people treat dogs like dogs!
quote:
Originally posted by prariehawk

I've never tried this, but I've read that if you put the two of them together in the back seat of a car and go for a drive, they'll learn to get along. Something about how they won't fight if the car is moving. And it's neutral territory. Sounds good, but like I said, I've never tried it.
cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/

Trish

Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  6:24:37 PM  Show Profile
Well, when I got home tonight, Stella was still alive! And Bubba was inside. In the AC and under the fan. Like my hubby. If Bubba had a recliner, they would be twins. He's so like a man it's not even funny.

So all is well here at Outback Farm tonight. All is well.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  9:10:26 PM  Show Profile
oh yipee kris... i am so happy for you. my 2 new cows are arguing who is top cow now. so i left them to work it out. but like bubba i let them see each other first through a fence. i sure hope there is no chip in that dog. i can see bubba and hubby watching sports with both in chairs. LOL happy days for you my friend. sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Found a Dog. UPDATE! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page