walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2011 :  7:47:29 PM  Show Profile
YAY! I'm glad they're getting along. I also hope that no owners come forward-you're obviously the best home for that pup!!!

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2011 :  08:23:31 AM  Show Profile
I think where ever Stella came from, they were getting annoyed with her. That's probably why they had to tie her up. Poor dog. When I have to tell her no she will sit and lift up her paw. And she has the most pitiful look. She is still a puppy and still in that awful puppy stage and into everything. She is a big help with garbage though. She will find a plastic bag or some stray paper and she'll bring it to me. I do have to watch her about the cat food too. So I have to keep the cat room door shut so just the cats can get in. And the hens to lay eggs in there too. I am afraid she will start getting the eggs.

I am going to town this afternoon. I am going to Kmart and get them a kiddie pool. We were out in the garden yesterday and she just about got into a bucket of water. It was so funny. She tried real hard too. So I think she needs a pool to play in.

Other than that, she is fitting in nicely. I still can't trust Bubba totally. He gets close to her and between us and I worry about him trying to fight with her. But she lets him know he is the boss here.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6676 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6676 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2011 :  08:32:22 AM  Show Profile
I love reading your daily updates and I am happy that Stella has found her forever home, she and your family are so blessed.
Have a beautiful Sunday.
Farmgirl Hugs,
Debbie

www.etsy.com/shop/CollectThisTreasures

http://debbielynnf.blogspot.com

http://myworld.ebay.com/debbt
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2011 :  5:11:44 PM  Show Profile
Well, here's another little story about Miss Stella. I heard barking out back awhile ago. I couldn't figure out who that would be. So I went out the back door and there was Stella. In the pasture with the sheep. She was chasing them all over the place. She had them all separated here and there. She chased poor Earl into the barn. I thought he might have broken his neck. Then she chased poor Gracie and she was headed right for me. And so was Stella. So I caught her. Now I have 2 sheep in the back yard and the other 2 on the other side of the fence in the pasture. And I can't get them all back together. They will figure it out sooner or later. But I cannot figure out how Stella got in. She sure was having a great time. I am glad I was here or no telling what would have happened. I know a sheep dog will just chase sheep all day til they fall over dead if they don't know what to do.

I had a guy email me yesterday wanting her. He lives in Dawson Ga on a sheep farm. I might need to reconsider this.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Jul 25 2011 5:12:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2011 :  8:24:14 PM  Show Profile
oh kris, it sure can be a challenge when they are young. she sounds like a handful. LOL i know these little wethers are a handful. we are moving chickens to pasture. then the babies can have the back pen. your little one sounds so sweet it would be a tough decision. thoughtfully sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2011 :  06:52:26 AM  Show Profile
Dang, she did it again! I was talking to my mom this morning on the phone and looked up and saw her out there chasing the sheep again. It took awhile to get her to stop this time. I got her and she's in the crate right now. I called my friend who raises Aussies to see if she trained other people's dogs. She said she knows a lady who's father lives right out here near me and she's coming in this weekend. So maybe she can stop by and help. There are also some other places I can call to see about training her. I am so afraid to leave her outside alone now. I need to see how she's getting in. I know she can fit through the wooded picket fence that I have on the holding pen area. But I had the sheep outback in the chain link and electric fence pasture. I did see where the board that I have in front of the gate that won't shut completely was moved. SO maybe she had gotten into the holding area and squeezed through the gate.

S I will have to stay out with her when she's out there anymore til I can get some training going. And it's SO HOT! I was outside this morning doing chores and milking and picked some cucumbers and came in drenched. SO I took a shower. Already. I do not want to go back outside.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2011 :  07:01:06 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Kris- it sounds like she has a lot of instinct. It would be really interesting to see what she could learn from a person experienced in training border collies could do! I can't wait to hear a new update!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2011 :  08:23:00 AM  Show Profile
Yes, she sure does have that BC herding instinct! I have not seen the stare yet though. I am trying to teach her to lay down today. I just need to know the right commands to use.

When I went to feed the cats this morning, there was no food in the container. Stella. I had just enough for another day. Now I will have to put it in the house I guess. And go to the store for more later. Puppies!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6676 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6676 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2011 :  08:29:31 AM  Show Profile
Patience Kris, and I know you will need a lot of it. Training puppies takes so very much and I hope the trainer you have found will be able to help you so Stella can stay with her new family.
Sending happy thoughts to you.
Farmgirl Hugs,
Debbie

www.etsy.com/shop/CollectThisTreasures

http://debbielynnf.blogspot.com

http://myworld.ebay.com/debbt
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2011 :  09:08:08 AM  Show Profile
you are dealing with a very high energy working breed dog with high instinctive traits...she needs a job to do, with the proper training of course, or you will have a tragedy on your hands, she will run your sheep to death, along with herself, plus if she gets into your neighbors livestock, you will be paying for damages to them...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2011 :  09:25:37 AM  Show Profile
Yes, I know what kind of dog this is. And she is only about 5 months old. So she is only going outside when I go. I am looking for a trainer. I am aware of what she could do. And I do not want dead sheep. Or horses or cows. So far she has not even bothered my cow and calf. The sheep are safe right now in the back yard. I am playing alot with her too. She loves to go after balls and other things. I need to get a frisbee.

Thanks, Debbie. I will need them.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  07:20:25 AM  Show Profile
well all i can say is darn. i am sorry you are having to go this direction kris. i sure would not want to train a dog right now. wow big job. so now we see why she was tied. silly girl is sheep crazy. as has been stated, she is smart and full of herself. you are doing the right thing checking on training. i hope it all works out well for you. sending a cool breeze your way. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  2:13:29 PM  Show Profile
I know most people don't even start herding training til the dog is over a year old. I just want to learn basic commands so she doesn't get confused. I did look on line and read that BC's are very noise sensitive. And get distracted. I am working on the sit-down-stay commands right now. With treats. And I am keeping her in most of the time right now. She is such a good dog. When she is out and I am in I am constantly checking on her. I have not heard back from the dog trainer yet.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  3:35:22 PM  Show Profile
There are several herd dog trainers in my area, and they start pups when they are 12 weeks old, useing ducks to start with, and my aussies were raised with my livestock from the time they were 11 weeks old, I have never heard of waiting till they are over 1 year old...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2011 :  08:09:46 AM  Show Profile
This morning I took Stella out back with me on the leash. She did pretty good. I could tell she wanted to go chase them right off. But I jerked on the leash and had her sit and stay. Then just now took her back out to hang clothes. Earl the ram came right up to her. She didn't lunge, she just sniffed. He's not afraid of her. The ewes are. But they were doing ok too.

So I will do that a few times a day. And get her to sit and get down and stay. Surely something will sink in.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2011 :  10:11:54 AM  Show Profile
I know you will figure it out and do what is best for all of your animals. You are an amazing women with great instintcts. Let her get her basics down, the rest will come soon enough. I used wait and leave it as commands too. I started these commands with food, now I can use wait or leave it with food or animals or even people. Good luck

Come visit my blog
http://angieruralliving.blogspot.com/

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2011 :  11:00:10 AM  Show Profile
Angie, I need to do that too. She's doing pretty good so far. I think she will be a great dog to have with the sheep. I am so glad she found me!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Found a Dog. UPDATE! Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page