Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 Need help to stay at home
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Need help to stay at home Next Topic
Page: of 2

ashcordes
True Blue Farmgirl

197 Posts

Ashley
Roann IN
USA
197 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2006 :  06:32:23 AM  Show Profile
I am looking for any advice, ideas, etc. that anyone can give me on how to save/make money to pay off our current debt so I can stay at home. My husband is in the process of putting up a 4,000 head hog barn and hopefully that income will allow us to start paying off debt and provide so I can stay at home, but I would like to make it happen in the next year as we are ready to have our second child and I can't keep trying to balance work and home life. I am insulin dependent diabetic, so one other thing I need to come up with is a way to pay my $380 per month insurance bill. Does anyone have any help for me????

Thank you!

farmgrlchick
True Blue Farmgirl

439 Posts

Theresa
Columbus Montana
USA
439 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2006 :  07:47:29 AM  Show Profile
Ashley,

I 'stay' home, and it is a struggle, but one that is well worth it in my opinion. I think simplify is the key. No car payments, (yes our cars are from the early 90's and not beautiful at all) no cell phones, no cable, no manicures, no fast food, no boats, jet skis, traveling, movies, (we do rent movies ocasionally), budgeted groceries, we buy used books and music, try to attend free concerts. My question to you is, how much do you spend in gas for your vehical every month to get to work? do you eat lunch out? Do you have dry cleaning? Do you participate in birthday presents or baby shower gifts for co-workers? What jobs around the house do you pay to have done, that if you were home you could do it yourself? Do you have Day care costs? Are the people you work with always doing home parties, and you feel obligated to buy? Are you too tired to cook when you get home , so you eat out?

Paying off debt is hard, any extra money goes toward the debt, chunk it away. Start with the smallest debt first, then after that is gone, apply the money to the next, until it is gone.

You know the book Tightwad Gazette ( buy Amy Dacyczyn) has wonderful ideas on being frugal.

I have been at home for 10 years, and 3 years ago my youngest starting having ear problems. (we are uninsured) So now there is medical debt, I started to watch children in my home, which has given us the extra income to pay for medical. I take the children in of Moms who work part time, which is nice, because it's just the right amount of time. I have a heart for kids, so this is an option for me.

Recently I started to sell off things around my home that I don't need or love, this has given us about , well so far $500 extra. I don't have the answers, this is just what has worked for us. I think most people look at me and feel bad, I don't 'have' all the 'toys' . They can't understand how I can be so content, but I am. I think when you have health issues in your family you realize, what is important. I would live in a shack to be with my children. I hope that your desire to be home is one you are able to do. My coments are in no way ment to offend working moms, I can appreciate the fufillment that comes from a career outside the home. It is so wonderful, to see a "paycheck" for a job well done. This is just my story, and what has worked so far for us. I wish I had all the answers,Ashley, keep us posted on the goings on around your place.

Farmgirl Blessings,
Theresa
http://theresaslavenderbox.blogspot.com/

Edited by - farmgrlchick on Jul 26 2006 07:47:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2006 :  08:03:17 AM  Show Profile
Hi Ashley:

For Credit Card debt: If your credit is fairly good, this will work for you. For existing credit card debt - Look at those credit card offers that you get in the mail and get a card that has an introductory offer of "no annual fees, transfer fees for balances, and zero interest for the longest time possible that you can find. Transfer existing balances to the new card and WRITE DOWN WHEN THE INTRODUCTORY OFFER ENDS ONE MONTH BEFORE IT ENDS ON YOUR CALENDAR. Everything that you pay towards your debt will only go to the principal and you will not have any interest to pay. The month before it ends, find another introductory offer and repeat until all of your credit card debt is paid for.

The dogs own the house but the people pay the mortgage!
www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2006 :  08:06:37 AM  Show Profile
Ashley:

Most important!! Do not purchase anything else on credit while you are doing this. It has worked for me and I just paid off our balance on one card. I have one card to go. It is worth staying home when your children are small and can be done. Search your skills, write them down, and decide which ones could possibly make money.

Hope this helps.

The dogs own the house but the people pay the mortgage!
www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2006 :  11:13:18 AM  Show Profile
Ashley,
Everything Theresa said is absolutely accurate (and refreshing to hear-thank you Theresa!). Our family had huge finacial debt from medical bills in the last few years. My husband was self employed, so our insurance was catastrophic only. He has since taken a different job, with great insurance, and it has made a world of difference. By being very, very frugal (and praying a lot!) we have paid of about $40,000 in medical bills over the last five years. It does take going without many things that other people have and learning to be content in where you are. There is so much more to us than our "stuff". It's actually been kind of fun to see just how little we could spend. Look at this as a challenge. You can do this! And being at home with your babes will be so lovely for all of you!
Also, I know several people who have used the credit card company offers to their benefit. Frankly, I love to hear that someone is making the credit card company work FOR them. The way they hook people in and the interest rates they get are practially criminal IMHO.
Blessings'
Rhonda

...and I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance, even if I'm the only one!
Go to Top of Page

Vanessa
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Vanessa
Central GA
10 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2006 :  2:31:12 PM  Show Profile
I don't know how tight your budget is, but I can tell you that dh and I do better now than we did before. He has a better paying job than he used to, but I am so much more aware of what's happening with our money, and we make much more conscious choices. You really have to take a look at the numbers.
Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2006 :  2:58:14 PM  Show Profile
Ashley...My story is alot like Theresa's, we don't have car payments, we drive cars that are about 10 years old. We rarely eat out, I pack my kids school lunches this saves $60 a month...we don't go out to the movies or cable tv, we do Blockbuster's monthly deal $20 a month....With groceries, do what MaryJane says in her book, just shop the outsides of the store, buy produce, meats, dairy, flour, sugar, eggs...cook from scratch. I can feed my family of 6 on about $60 a week...I don't buy things like baggies, alot of different soaps and cleaners...all of these things add up....
Good luck, I know you can do it!!!
Simplify simplify simplify is the key.
oh, you can save $1 for every load of laundry you hang to dry!
Every little bit adds up!
Kate
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2006 :  5:46:05 PM  Show Profile
Katie, you can get your movies from Netflix for $5.95 a month. You get two per month, which is ususally all Stuie and I have time to watch. It sure beats $20!

There are so many frugal sites that you can browse! I get two of their newsletters a week and have found some common sense tips that I can use. I'm always open to frugal.

Girls, here's a great one: Our local massage school charges $25 a massage on weekends which is a steal in itself. Last Sunday, Kate and I went and they had a two for one deal. Plus, when we were done, we were asked if we wanted another free of charge. Can't beat that. We're going back this week!

Come visit my Etsy store at www.chezPatricia.etsy.com
Farmgirls do it organically!
Go to Top of Page

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2006 :  6:17:58 PM  Show Profile
I can recommend a book that helped us pay off more than 20K and 14 credit cards... Financial Peace by Dave Ramsey. He offers a no-nonsense approach to good finances. He also does a radio talk show daily... check out www.financialpeace.com

Kim in NC
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2006 :  7:29:38 PM  Show Profile
Hey, another thought...Do you have an Aldi Grocery Store nearby? I started shopping there for all our basics & cut my food bill down by 2/3! It sounds unbelieveable, but it's true. I was shopping at Jewel, thinking Aldi products were inferior. They are EXACTLY the same, and sometimes better. One way I know? My husband trucks raw materials into bakeries & such where these things are made. ALL brands come from the same plants. Many times it is only the packaging that is different.
Another plus is that Aldi stores are generally small, no bells & whistles, not a dozen kinds of tomato sauce to wade through. I used to HATE food shopping, the choices boggled my mind & exhausted me! I am a devoted Aldi shopper these days.

Sunshine please explain how you were able to purchase a second home & car while your husband was unemployed. I have never heard anything like this. It sounds interesting! Also how do you "make your house work for you" and what are the non-traditional methods when it comes to cars? Do you mean things like using public transportation? I am always interested in ideas that are "outside the box".

Quite honestly, most of the folks I know are struggling. One young friend (20) has been trying to by his first car and can't get financing because he has no credit history. He has a very good job-no debt, but still no one will help him.

Also, I have been a homemaker for 27 years. Never had a "real" job. I am convinced that SAHM/WAHM are pretty much dinosaurs. I have ONE friend who doesn't work outside the home. Things these days are geared towards two income families. No getting past that. If it's important to you to be home with your kids, you will do what it takes. Unless you have a sizeable income from hubby, or are independently wealthy you will make sacrifices. That's a given. We need to stop listening to advertising that says we need all the "stuff"-new cars, cable tv, expensive vacations... We need to be supportive of those who choose to be at home. Someone has to tend the homefires & most importantly the babies.

I really appreciate everyone sharing how they do things! EVERY little bit helps! My old Auntie used to say "it's harder to earn a penny than to save one".

Me? I'm just happy to be paying the bills, out of debt, and enjoying my family.

Rhonda

...and I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance, even if I'm the only one!
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2006 :  05:07:43 AM  Show Profile
You can get money out of your house by getting a home equity loan, or a reverse mortgage. A reverse mortgage works great for people in their sunset years who are house rich but cash poor, but this isn't a good strategy for younger people unless your circumstances are dire. A home equity loan is a good idea if you have enough equity in your house, because the interest you pay on your loan is tax deductible. But you have to have the discipline to pay down your loan and not use your credit cards.

The 0% credit card is a good idea so that all your $$$ can go to the principal. But there are catches, so read the fine print. If you're ever late (and we can all forget, and things can get lost on their way to the mailbox) many of them switch to very high interest rates or variable rates. I won't have a variable rate card.

Also, find out your FICO score. The higher the better, and the more leverage you have in negotiating with credit card companies and other lenders. Pay on time and in full for as much as you can, but keep a few accounts open with zero balances. This raises your FICO score, and makes you a more desireable customer.

As far as day to day living, one suggestion I have that hasn't been made is to get familiar with your public library. Most have lots of movies available for free, and belong to inter-library systems to get you most anything you want. They also have lots of magazines, so you can get your fix without having to spend $$$ for subscriptions or at the checkout counter. And consider joining or forming a food co-op. You can get lots of deals on whole foods that way.

And when you've thought you'd simplified, simplify some more. My parents were children of the Depression, and they were so darned resourceful at it I still am amazed. There are so many things you can make better yourself than you can buy. And remember that no kid grows up and wishes they'd had a Barbie Dream house or Nintendo; they wish they'd had more of their parent's time. So don't give them so much what they want; give them what they need.
Go to Top of Page

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2006 :  08:29:54 AM  Show Profile
I think that taking on debt to make money is risky. There's nothing positive about having debt, in my opinion, and the only debt that's acceptable is a mortgage on the home one lives in. If one can buy another property outright with cash and make money from rent, then that's a different story, but still a risky venture once renters are factored in.

For the record, we have no debt, other than our current mortgage. We paid everything off by spending less and socking money towards the debt that would have gone to other things. Both cars are paid for with cash, as are any expenses. We've had no debt going on seven years now. We (family of four)live on one income less than $35K, and comfortably- we just bought a HUD house for 70K, and fixed up to its current value of $130-140K. We used to have debt probably totalling $20K or more (not including house)- which we paid off in two years. It is possible, but it's not about finding some tricky way to do it- home equity loans and the like- I think it's about spending less than what you make, whatever that is.

Edited by - Carolinagirl on Jul 27 2006 08:33:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2006 :  08:34:16 AM  Show Profile
We have had a financial advisor visit...he wasn't so good...he just wanted us to buy alot of life insurance....he should have advertised as "Insurance Salesman" instead of "Financial Planner" I think like any profession..good and bad...
This is what works for my family.
1. Don't "keep up with the Jones"
2. We don't use credit, other than for buying a home, we use a credit card when we travel or mail order etc...we pay the balance off. We saved for over 1 year to pay cash for a van. A used van..but it was new to me!
3. If you don't NEED it, don't buy it! We live in such an instant gratification world! We have so much stuff!!
I have friends and neighbors that have lost homes and filed for bankruptcy because of the need for stuff....clothes, boats, expensive cars, vacations, a bedroom set for 2 year old!!
For me, the best things in life are free....the time I have spent loving and nurturing my children is priceless...
I wouldn't work for any ammount of money so a daycare center can see all of the milestones in my young children's lives.
4. I shop at a store called NPS...it is like a big warehouse filled with food, clothes, etc...It is close outs, etc...we can find some great deals...and I love to sort out the best. It is time consuming, but we save a ton. I also go to Big Lots. I just bought $40 worth of organic cornflakes, rice krispies, and cherrios for $1.50 a box!
When you get down to the nitty gritty, we all could live on alot less!!
Like MaryAnn said, during the depression people lived on next to nothing!!
We just need to re-evalutate what we NEED and what we WANT.
Good luck to you,
I will pray for you, staying home to care for your home and family is a blessing. For you and your whole family.
Kate
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2006 :  08:53:49 AM  Show Profile
I agree totally with Kate! We don't use a credit card and don't make more debt if we can help it. Husband needs a better truck before too long and we are working on that. I desperatly do not want a car payment. I drive an 8 year old van. His present truck is an 87.
I have worked outside the home over the years but, like Kate prefer to see the milestones in my kids life, as well as being free to volunteer at the school they go to and spend time with them. I have done alot of daycare for others over the years, done housecleaning during the hours all my kids were in school, and worked in jobs where my kids could come along (NOT my favorite..but I have done it) When my oldest kids were little I was lucky enough to have alot of relatives close enough to be sitters if I didn't have a choice but to work outside the home for awhile.
We save money where we can and cook as much from scratch and grow what we can to save on groceries. I sure avoid the prepared food !!
There are many ways to save money that others have said above. I love the Tightwad Gazzette for ideas.
I have never talked to a financial advisor..never had enough money to be advised about I guess. I guess that would be helpful to those who have money to manage.
I spent years with us getting by with only one car. It isnt' very practical with 4 kids at home, but it can be done and does save money for sure.
Figuring out what is a need and what is a want is for sure the most important thing.
I will have to have you show me where NPS is Kate, I have never heard of it!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2006 :  09:24:27 AM  Show Profile
Just having climbed out of the PIT of debt, this topic is of great interest to me. Having been there, done that, I'd like to not go there ever again. :)

As I said, most of our debt was from medical bills. It's shocking how much a few simple tests can cost. So...I highly recommend having good health insurance if you can swing it. One of our sons has epilepsy, one has a heart problem and a severe nut allergy. Those things alone cost more than you can imagine. Add in occassional illness or stitches...well you get the idea.

We own our lovely home and 20 acres. No mortgage. Unless we were in dire straights I don't want to remortgage! And I REALLY don't want to be a landlord! Yeesh, talk about stress! Taking on debt/stress is what we are trying to avoid! My sister & her husband take this route & I see their constant frustration. Yup, they have more money than we do...and their family life is a mess. Not a trade I'm willing to make.

I too had a pioneer type Granny & Gramp. They raised 8 kids of their own & 3 that were basically drop offs-all during the depression! They made do, or did without. Yet going to stay at their house was always a treat! I certainly never felt neglected or deprived there. I know my Mom didn't either. Instead I felt loved, listened to and LUCKY that my grandparents took time to take me on walks & teach me the names of plants. When I was first married Gram showed me how to do all the things I needed to know. And she could quiet a babe like no one else! *tear* Anyway, we could ALL learn from folks of their generation!

I read some of these posts to my husband and it was so encouraging to him. He works hard to provide for us. I work hard here at home making sure things run as they should. I wouldn't trade my years at home for anything. And for the record, I have GREAT kids. LOL And that doesn't happen by accident!

They say, "you can't take it with you". Your kids are the one thing you CAN take with you!

So... kudos to all you SAHM's! From an old gal who's been there. It's very much worth it!
Blessings,
Rhonda

Go to Top of Page

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2006 :  09:28:41 AM  Show Profile
Sunshine- It is a fallacy that one must take on debt to prove financial worthiness to a financial institution. If I HAVE 50K downpayment on a 100K and go to a bank to seek the remaining amount in a mortgage, they are going to give me the loan quicker than someone who has 10 open credit cards, even if those cards are paid off. Credit cards, even paid off, are seen as possible debt a person can acrue- not clean credit cards. I had no problem getting this mortgage this past October, and we had no credit to show for the last six years, other than a paid off student loan. What I DID have to show was $15K in cash and an income that had no debt figured into it. Business people deal in real money, and if they want your business, they'll work with you.

I can guarantee you that my children will be better off because we have no debt, than they would if we had debt. We are independent of any "beholdings" to anyone, save for the mortgage on this house. It is a good feeling.

I will not have to rely on social security (which people my age will never see) or my children to take care of me (and Husband Dear) when we get old. And it will be from being economical, making wise financial decisions, and making my money work for me rather than allowing it work for the banks.
Go to Top of Page

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2006 :  10:12:16 AM  Show Profile
Sunshine, I'm glad your money worked for you the way it did. I'm not sure how one can purchase a second home and car when there's no income for the household, but your advisor must have found a way for that to work for you. Unfortunately, most people can't do that, or don't want to risk what they have for it.

We all work for our money. Making your money work for you is the smart thing- utilizing it in worthwhile investments, rather than insurance savings accounts, paying off debt, using your CASH for purchases allows for haggling in purchases (even for store purchases, we've done it), bartering with your skills and money (did that for our cash-paid car)... this is making your money work for you. Even whatever it is that your advisor did to allow a no-income household to purchase a second house for rental purposes- that's making your money work for you.

It is a different mindset. It's what God said "The borrower is slave to the lender." If you have debt, you are slave to whoever holds your debt, and that person/institution holds your future and your outcome. Being without that debt makes all the difference in the world.
Go to Top of Page

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2006 :  10:30:40 AM  Show Profile
So, no w2 income? What does that mean? Money that you aren't claiming as earned income? What is passive money? We have insurance to cover the chance of disability as well, but if it's government disability, I would hope that I wasn't using it to better my family- since it really wouldn't be my money to begin with (taxpayer money).

By haggling I mean walking into an appliance store and offering them cash money that is less than their ticket price. I got my new refrigerator for a couple of hundred dollars less than the ticket price that way- I told them what I was willing to pay- in cash- and that's what they sold it to me for. And they threw in the new coffee table I liked, to boot.

My bottom line, and what I've seen a lot of others here say (I think) is one's best bet is to live on what you make, and less than what you make, if possible. It's important to me that the point gets across, because when someone seeking to get out of debt (so that they can stay home, for example)is looking for options, more debt shouldn't really be the answer. Eventually living a risky financial life comes due. If not now, then later.

PS_ I just googled the term "passive money," because I was sure I could find something about it. With the few exceptions of the term "passive money management" (a way one manages one's portfolio), EVERY listing was for some cockeyed way to earn money without doing anything. Now I'm really intrigued.

Farmgirls, please excuse my frustration, but I've heard for years how people get out of debt by making more debt. Friends have done the harebrained schemes, bought into the credit game, etc. all the while making fun of our cash-only management style. It seems completely logical in my head- earn the money, use the money to buy things necessary and pay bills, save the rest- that I can't comprehend someone NOT getting it. :)

Edited by - Carolinagirl on Jul 27 2006 10:48:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2006 :  11:03:20 AM  Show Profile
I agree, Kim / Carolina girl. The financial advisor that I trust says get rid of debt first -- specifically credit card debt. And the simple formula of earn money, use the money wisely, save the rest -- that's the golden rule. I'm not against insurance -- We do have disability insurance on my husband, as he is self-employed, and when he broke his back 20 years ago, it helped us a great deal. And we do have life insurance policies. But that does not negate the basic formula of spending within one's budget. That's the key.
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2006 :  11:26:45 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
carolina girl it is clear from this and other topics that you and I have discussed that we are both very opioninated people with very strong beliefs ( although we both like the dolls). I just want it to be known I am not mad and I have great respect for you as alot of people do not stand up for what they believe in I think that is great for you. This may sound funny. I just wanted it clear that I am not mad and the like. I think there are many ways of doing everthing. Yours works for you and mine for me and others have their way. I hope we continue to have discussions as that is the only way people learn things is to talk about them. Thank you for posting some people might think this is heated I do not. We both just want others to have a fair chance to hear multiple sides of a subject.

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe

http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/
http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home

Edited by - sunshine on Jul 27 2006 11:28:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2006 :  11:30:47 AM  Show Profile
I think Aunt Jenny simply states the most wisest of advice...figuring out what is a want and what is a need.
We had some really rough years when I was a sahm, but I wouldn't trade it for the world and I think even I am probably better off for it. I have an appreciation now for what is truly important in life...the simple pleasures as opposed to the materialistic ones.

Di
Go to Top of Page

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2006 :  11:37:04 AM  Show Profile
ashcordes,

I have been thinking about the health insurance dilemma you face. Fortunately, we don't have that problem- I made sure Husband built in health insurance for our family when he opened his computer company five years ago, although the company (which is essentially us, because any benefit the company gives the employees is less profit for us) pays more than $400 a month just for our family! (the health insurance was what I insisted on...)

Have you checked out insurance companies to see if they will offer you (individually or as a family) health insurance? We learned that if we break our family into just me, or just me and the kids, versus the entire family, we could save money in different ways. In NC, employers are required to pay for maternity insurance (for employees or insured wives), regardless of whether or not the employee wants it. I would also check into one of those "prescription only" insurance things- that may help.

I'll ask my mom, who is also a diabetic, what she did. As a real estate agent, she was an independent contractor and didn't have insurance either, but she still had to have her meds. Maybe she can offer some advice.

Again, check out www.daveramsey.com. I think I said www.financialpeace.com before. Dave Ramsey was a self-made real estate millionaire who lost it all after the banks decided to call all his mortgages due. Anyway, he started with absolutely nothing, used those basic principals, and now teaches them to others. His show is streamlined on the site as well as via radio... and there's a wealth of information on it. He explains, for example, why whole life insurance is not a financially sound savings tool. Use the search box to look up whatever you want to find out about.

I wish you much luck and great blessings from here! I know you can do it- it'll just be a bumpy road to get there!

Kim in NC

Edited by - Carolinagirl on Jul 27 2006 11:38:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2006 :  12:05:51 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
I removed my comments becuase I wanted to. No one is listening to them so I removed them thank you for your time on this. Sorry if the train of thought is not coherant now. If I hurt any ones feeling I am sorry.

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe

http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/
http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home

Edited by - sunshine on Jul 27 2006 12:12:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2006 :  1:57:24 PM  Show Profile
Jenny!
Next time you come up to SLC we will go out to NPS...keep in mind it is like a mixture of stuff and they always sell different things...this time we got lucky with some tools for Eldon's knifemaking, a whole big bag of Quaker Granola bars, and a TON of bacon...they had 3lb. packages that were at or near the sell by date for $1...Since bacon is cured I don't worry too much about spoiling...I threw it all in the freezer..
OH!! FOr you and Sunshine!!! I got some of the Lingucia that Portuguese sausage..it was only $1 too...I cleaned them out!!!
I threw them in the freezer, I will bring them when we meet again.
Kate
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2006 :  2:14:07 PM  Show Profile
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh linguica!!! oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh..I KNEW I liked you Kate!!!
For sure lets go to NPS soon. There was a place like that when I lived in Minnesota and I loved it!! I try to go to BigLots and Macys when I get up to Provo..but sounds like NPS is my kinda place.
I love to go to the "turkey store" at the local turkey processing plant in Moroni and buy what they have on sale..sometimes small smoked turkey or turkey "pastrami" that is so good. I love having things in the freezer like that.
I have 4 packages of venison right now from my uncle that I will use this week..and will be getting more venison and hopefully elk too in October when my second son, brother, sister and brother in law and my mom go hunting. They are stopping here to leave my sister's little girl with me for a week and then will stop on the way back with lots of meat. My Uncle always brings some in January too. I love to fish..and fresh fish is another budget stretcher if you go fishing enough to maket he lisence pay for itself. And the kids fish free!!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2006 :  2:22:24 PM  Show Profile
I have the same feelings as Kim. We saved money for several months, and my dh worked overtime because we needed a new washer and dryer...we went to The Maytag Store, with cash in our pockets. We bought the front loading washing machine & dryer, a stove, and a dishwasher...the clerck was FLOORED when dh told him we would pay with cash...it was close to $3,000. So after we had decided on what we were buying we talked them down on price....because we had cash, we paid less than contractors pay.
Cash talks.
I feel like I have more respect for the belongings we saved and saved for....
That is my take.

Sunshine- you are right, we can all just agree to disagree!
If it works for you and yours, then good for you.
This is what works for me.
If we were all the same, how very boring life would be.
Kate
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Need help to stay at home Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page