True Blue Farmgirl

3320 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3320 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2011 :  5:56:46 PM  Show Profile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Krl_pXXfKEI

Oyyy....it's warm in the Great North Woods---Tomorrows high 93-degrees!

Melody
Farmgirl #525

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  05:01:40 AM  Show Profile
Here, too - we were in the upper 80s yesterday and we're supposed to hit 97 today with no rain. I'm running myself ragged making sure my garden is watered constantly. Hope the weather breaks soon!

Farmgirl Sister #3243

"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." - Laura Ingalls Wilder
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  05:27:28 AM  Show Profile
I have been watching the approaching heatwave for that huge area of the country. It looks like you are in ffor a miserable week. I promise to not complain that we are having a cold summer ... probably very few tomatoes this year without some heat.

Stay cool and safe.
marianne
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  05:57:29 AM  Show Profile
I'd call your 93 degrees a cold front except that YOU have humidity to boot and that makes it 10 times worse!! :-) Poor you. We have now had 30 days of triple digit temps, some as high as 115º with no rain (which has kept the humidity around 28%). Roads are buckling and watermains are bursting! It's like a horror movie. I'd swear I was living in the desert instead of Oklahoma. Sure hope you all can stay cool. I wouldn't have your humidity for anything because it would just kill us!!! I understand that it has put your heat index up into the triple digits too.

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  08:43:05 AM  Show Profile
I always thought that old saying "It's not the heat, but the humidity" was not correct. I thought 100 degrees is a 100 degrees no matter what. I just got back from the West and found out that the lower humidity does make a difference. It was in the 90's and sure did not feel like the 90's here in the Upper Mid-West. We are having heat indexes of 115 degrees! My DH went to Iraq a couple of times and it was 127! He came home to Wisconsin in August when we were at 88 with 90% humidity and he was hot!

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I ask not for a larger garden, but for finer seeds.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3320 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3320 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  09:11:44 AM  Show Profile
Exactly Diane!
On a trip to South Dakota a few years ago the temperatures exceeded 90-degrees and I LOVED it! But....then the humidity was practically "nil." With this heat we are experiencing, I actually find it debilitating and very, very oppressive...kind of like a wet, heavy wool blanket over everything and everybody. I am so concerned that the husband and kids keep hydrated it is a constant mantra in our house lately "Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!" Everyone seems to be moving in slow motion...and very few if anything gets accomplished during the day. I am keeping up on keeping all the wet towels dry and clothes washed and put away because of that "musty" scent that accompanies high humidity, keeping the bathrooms cleaned and of course I am on top of the constant onslaught of dishes in this house, but I haven't vacumed or washed floors. I just stand still and sweat---It literally rolls down my back without any effort on my part-Yuck.
And...
Mary Beth,
I ache for all of you down there. No rain...We are praying for you! What kind of long-term problems happen without rain for so long besides the fact that it is destroying the economy down there? Possibly another dust bowl situation? Gosh...I can't even fathom what it must be like for you.

Melody
Farmgirl #525
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  10:49:52 AM  Show Profile
I'm at my parents house here in Wauwatosa (suburb of Milwaukee) and the heat index (that includes the humidity) is supposed to be 105 or higher. I went out for the mail and the heavy, hot, humid air just about knocked me out! Can't wait for Fall!!!

"He treads the soil, with earth-love in his heart;" Ardon Antony
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  10:35:43 PM  Show Profile
PLEASE send some my way! It is cool here yuck. I SO miss the high temps in Thailand...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

http://pinkprincessdecorating.blogspot.com/
Almost daily updates on me, my home and my crafts

Farmgirl sister # 2410
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  04:50:02 AM  Show Profile
We will be hitting records in the next couple of days here but nothing you can do but get the chores done early - makes sure everyone has water all the time and come back out after sun down. I remind folks remember when we complained about the snow and cold (not me) well see it is always something...

Be Well folks and drink water, water, water...

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

2317 Posts

Julie
Medina ND
USA
2317 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  12:00:18 PM  Show Profile
Hang in there girls! We just went through a week of that, but this morning it was a wonderful 58 degrees and very little humidity. What a wonderful feeling to be able to work outside and not have the sweat pouring off you. Hopefully the cooler weather will be heading your way soon!

Julie

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

jclambert
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Judy
Stringtown Oklahoma
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  12:50:11 PM  Show Profile
Oh my gosh. 58 degrees sounds like heaven. It is so dry and hot here that we are trying to bale hay and there just isn't any grass. We are having to feed our cattle already because the pastures have burnt up. Looks like we will be selling most of them next week. Ya'll keep us in your thoughts and prayers. We really need rain in our little part of the world.

Judy

"Courage is when you're licked before you begin but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what". Atticus Finch - To Kill a Mockingbird
Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  1:15:29 PM  Show Profile
my daughter played softball games last night and the night before- last night by far was horrid and I just sat there with the sweat running down my neck, back and just kept running down!! I always worry about the girls playing, it doesn't seem that they ever bring enough to drink. the good thing is that they won both games and will play a championship game next Tuesday.
Starting to cool down today- can see the light at the end of the humidity :)
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  1:25:34 PM  Show Profile
man. It feels like 110 out there! I just got my horse to the farm and haven't been able to fool with him because it's so dangerously hot. We need some cooler weather here ASAP!

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

2317 Posts

Julie
Medina ND
USA
2317 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  1:37:00 PM  Show Profile
Oh Judy, my heart just breaks for all you Texas and Oklahoma ranchers and farmers. Our haycrop has been awesome this year, sure wish I could send some of our moisture and hay your way! My prayers will continue to be for everyone going through the awful drought you are experiencing.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  5:42:39 PM  Show Profile
Jan, I live in the Milwaukee area as well, and it was very very hot here this past week! I rode my bike about 7 miles on Tuesday, and holy cow, I was sweating buckets by the time I got back home!
God's and Farmgirl's Blessings,
Megan

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

gypsy goat
True Blue Farmgirl

673 Posts

mary jo
michigan
673 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  5:51:25 PM  Show Profile
very warm here in my neck of the woods-weatherman says it will cool off in a couple of days! i sure hope he's right. thinking of all my fellow farmgals in the middle of the U.S. i know you have it really bad

farmgirl#1362 whatever you are be a good one-abe lincoln
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  7:58:03 PM  Show Profile
Driving home from work, first time ever, car thermometer said 102 degrees... As we drove north and out of the city it "cooled down" to only 97.... LOL

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic We are Having a Heat Wave! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page