True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2011 :  9:20:28 PM  Show Profile
uugghh!
I give up... we have had a very very very late start of summer and very little sunshine thus far... my tomatoes, inspite of the epsom salt & fertilizer refuse to grow.. I have 6 plants & a total of 4 small tomatoes on them... my Bells, aren't doing much better and ditto for my cucumbers...
soooooooo, I decided to switch things up... I dug them up out of the garden and put them in 20gal (tree) pots....and fertilized the heck out of them again....so now I am keeping my fingers crossed that they will be happier & grow better being potted.....
go figure...5 acres of dirt & I am doing 'pot gardening'..
. lol!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom.
"Is it time for my Dirt Manicure yet!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  04:01:37 AM  Show Profile
I'm right there with you girl!

I have 5000 square feet of tilled, fertilized, and nearly empty dirt. My tomato plants are thin and spindly, my peppers are tiny, and everything else died or didn't get planted due to weather.

I do have green beans growin, but I think it's just to spite me. I planted an 80 foot row last year and it barely sprouted and didn't produce. So this year my Hubby planted 2 80 foot rows of cow fence, but he double rowed the fence on both sides for a total of 640 foot of seed. He thought that way we should get at least 100 foot worth sproutin, based on the almost nonexistant sprout from last year.

I do believe every seed sprouted! It's a wall of bean vines out there that can be seen from the house and none of the garden has been clearly visible before!

I am growin lettuces, spinach, green onions, beets, and carrots in my indoor greenhouse. They simply aren't growin outside, so I've moved them in.

I also have started a very large beautiful red pot of herbs in my kitchen bay window. The pot was an 'I'm sorry' gift from my Hubby for promisin to help a buddy of his on mother's day weekend and leavin me alone with the kids and housework.

I am workin on a few ideas to make some window shelves to move my lettuces and stuff to so I can maybe get a few taller things in the greenhouse. I was thinkin of a tomato plant or 2 and maybe a few pea vines on a homemade trellis desing I've been toyin with.

This year has just been a huge diappointment for most all gardeners. I have designed a few ideas for early garden protection from the mountains of research I've been doin, since I haven't been able to plant all spring.

Maybe next year will be better.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  06:11:56 AM  Show Profile
Grace, I cannot imagine having to do that. Maybe you need a small green house. I guess you just about have to out there. I hope your containers work and you get some maters. I wish I could send you some of mine. I hate to rub it in but I picked almost a bushel yesterday. But I have some stray hens that like them too. So I am battleing that problem here.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

mickib
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Michele
Coeur d'Alene Idaho
267 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  11:46:43 AM  Show Profile
Grace, I planted one basil start in a pot and the other in my garden a month ago (I just buy starts at the farmer's market). The one in the pot is going to town and the one in the ground is puny. So, good luck!
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  4:38:19 PM  Show Profile
It's good to know I am not the only one on the 'gardening warpath! lol!
I would love to have a green house but we get such horrendous winds at time that I have actually found panals from a neighbor (about 1/2mi down the road) on my property....maybe if I build a round one the winds wont be able to do damage.... lol!
My 1st year up here my garden was wonderful, 2nd year ok, last year it struggled & this year it is even worse... I know I am not the only one around here that has had miserable gardens this year...just a bad year I guess....
But on the plus side... the "Rats with Antlers" have not been around much this year so I can't blame them for my pathtic garden...lol!

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  4:40:03 PM  Show Profile
hey CDA Michele, did you get hit with that weird rain yeaterday evening? right out of the blue the skies turned weird and then we got pelted with big heavey drops then poof! it was gone(headed you way I think)...lol!

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

mickib
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Michele
Coeur d'Alene Idaho
267 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2011 :  12:39:08 PM  Show Profile
Grace, the rain missed us entirely! Go ahead and blame the weather. It was just so cold for so long. It's still a pretty cool summer. Everything is slower than normal getting going. I looked at the huckleberries a few weeks ago. I actually don't know what to think, I've never seen them at that stage before. There was actually still a little snow at our usually picking spot -at 3,000 feet in July! I have a feeling they will be a few weeks late.
Go to Top of Page

SusanScarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

317 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2011 :  2:13:38 PM  Show Profile
We've decided no more summer garden for us here in west Texas. We're going to plant an early spring garden and a fall garden. Everything, and I mean everything in our small garden is fried by our hot drought. We've poured so much water/fertilizer/effort into it that we could have purchased organic vegetables and had them flown in on a private jet from the other side of the county - LOL. Spring and fall only for us from now on.
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2011 :  2:57:59 PM  Show Profile
I'm right there with you. The weather has been so cool and rainy that my strawberries are starting to mold! The one thing that is growing like gangbusters are the onions! My biggest issue in the rainy Pacific NW is the dang slugs. What the weather isn't getting the slugs are destroying.

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2011 :  4:33:10 PM  Show Profile
Grace, after about 6 years we figured out hoop houses are the answer to some of your problems. I love the fact that early on we can have have warm weather and then it will drop into the 40's. Tomatoes and other hot weather plants don't like temps. below 50 so Jim would go down and throw the plastic over the PVC pipe frames. Also again after many years the plants need much more water than the gardens we had back in Mn. We thought we help out this year a small CSA nearby but they are struggling this year with the cooler temps. I never ate so much spinach, chard and lettuce and eggs as I have this year. Cool and rainy up here today but it beats Mn which today has heat index temperatures of 114! JoAnn
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2011 :  11:01:20 PM  Show Profile
yep! weird weather for sure.... my daughter & I no sooner got the babies out of the pool & the winds got cold & it started to rain....

Joann, I like the idea of the 'Hoop Houses'...as long as our gail force winds don't blow them away...lol!

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  09:05:57 AM  Show Profile
I don't know about you girls, but my garden is doing great! I even left it in the hands of my DD while I was away playing out West for a couple of weeks. I do square foot gardening and use my rabbit poo as fertilizer. I posted photos earlier. I am sorry for your gardening dilemas.http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51558

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I ask not for a larger garden, but for finer seeds.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White

Edited by - Fiddlehead Farm on Jul 20 2011 09:07:11 AM
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  8:06:49 PM  Show Profile
ha ha! DD! that's the trick.... send her..send her NOW! lol!

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2011 :  7:12:22 PM  Show Profile
Not to bum you all out but (knock on wood) so far my garden is doing great too!
We are not as far along as the rest of you, I just made rhubarb/strawberry jam this past week. But our lettuce, kayle, and blueberries are all being picked, I see pea pods, green tomatos, my popcorn is about 8 feet tall, the beans are growing high and we put in more peas and beans last week. I'll see if I can get pictures tomorrow.

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343
www.thedewhopinn.com

"I always have a wonderful time, wherever I am, whomever I'm with."
"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Both by Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart) in the Movie Harvey
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2011 :  1:30:35 PM  Show Profile
Everything here in SE KS is totally burned up. All I do outside is water, water, water. Don't have to worry much about weeds. They won't grow either. I have had a pretty good crop of cucumbers. NO squash, summer or winter. NO tomatoes, NO peppers. No Greenbeans. I keep the soaker hoses going everyday on the blueberries, raspberries. Just trying to keep my plants alive for next year. Getting a little okra, not much. Gotta go move the water.

Belle
Go to Top of Page

jollyquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

WV
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2011 :  2:25:38 PM  Show Profile
I woul dlove it if you gals would like to take a look at my garden. I made a post on my blog with pics and the next post back shows about 3 weeks ago. Just click below and see what I got growing.

[size=1]www.StuffByKim.etsy.com[size=1]
[size=1]http://fiberandflea.blogspot.com[size=1]
Go to Top of Page

upnorthgirl
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Sharon
St. Germain WI
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2011 :  6:56:40 PM  Show Profile  Send upnorthgirl a Yahoo! Message
Up here in the northwoods, we have a very short growing season, I got my plants in a little late this year (unfortunately), so everything is a little behind schedule. One good thing is that my tomato plants are doing fabulous, peppers OK, Lettuce is done, the only problem is my squash, I have a ton of blossoms but no squash. They blossom and then fall off. Someone told me to try blossom Set, which I did, but still no squash. I also have more than 1 plant, so I don't think that is the problem, any suggestions?
Sharon
Farmgirl#3239
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2011 :  9:52:43 PM  Show Profile
well for what it is worth, the tomatoes that I pulled out of my garden & put in pots are doing better... and I had planted cucumber seeds in pots that are doing ok, I have them growing vertically with the aid of bamboo stakes & old tomatoes cages... and I now am the proud parent of some 3/4" cucumbers! lol! finally!
My Lupines did awesome,,,as did my flax plants...to bad nothing else has the energy!

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic I Give UP!!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page