magnoliakathy
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Kathryn
Magnolia Texas
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2011 :  10:28:16 AM  Show Profile
Farmgirls, I know one of you has plans for a duck house. The plan is to have 2 drakes and 6 hens for a breeding flock. I have one drake and three hens and will be getting a hen with 9 ducklings in about 1 month. These are muscovies, and are a larger breed of duck. I need to pen them up at night to keep them safe from predators. The flock I have now is allowed to free range on about1.5 acres, with the chickens, turkeys, guineas and goats. Any and all help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated

When you free your mind your heart can fly. Farmgirl # 714,

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2011 :  3:08:01 PM  Show Profile
Ducks don't need too much in the way of housing (another way they are easier that chickens) With a predator proof fence they will do just fine in something as simple as a "house" of stacked straw bales or a dog house if you are someplace as warm as texas.

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  05:53:46 AM  Show Profile
I have a friend who has the coolest pond and some ducks. I took my last 2 there. He did not have any shelter for them then and they are all gone now. But I have noticed that he has a little floating duck house now. It's not very big, maybe 5x5. It's so cute too. All red with a cute little peaked roof. It is in the middle of the pond and it looks like it has ropes on both sides to pull it to the shore when they want to. I wish I could remember to take my camera with me and get a picture of it. I will try to do that. It looks like it would be a very safe place for the little ducks.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Megan
True Blue Farmgirl

155 Posts

Megan
Hudson South Dakota
USA
155 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  07:35:16 AM  Show Profile
our Muscovys had a barn to go into in the winter, but in the summer they sleep under our yard light. we have a big coon and possum problem so we were leery of just turning them out, but so far its been ok.

www.rockriverexoticsandkennel.net
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Need Duck house plans Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page