Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Kitten whos back legs don't work
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Kitten whos back legs don't work Next Topic  

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2011 :  2:53:19 PM  Show Profile
I've got a kitten whose back legs don't work. The mom is feral, and likes to drop off her kittens on her porch.

One of them has back legs that don't work from the knee joint down. Is this something it may outgrow? If not, I might just take it to the vet to get put down, as I'll be stuck feeding it the rest of it's life since it won't be able to catch anything...

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2011 :  2:59:32 PM  Show Profile
depending on age, it could be a nutritional problem, if so he/she might grow out of it with proper food, it also could be an inbreeding problem which is comman in feral cats, the gene pool is way to small, so being genetic, he/she will not recover, or it could be an injury that may or may not heal...you can play the wait and see game, or you can take the baby to a vet and have them figure it out, and help with a plan if one's posible, goodluck, and remember that feral cats carry diseases, so keep your cats away from this baby...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2011 :  5:11:52 PM  Show Profile
If you can afford it, have a vet tell you what the problem is and make a decision accordingly.

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2011 :  3:40:35 PM  Show Profile
Yeah, we can't afford it-they are feral as it is. I'll bet it's an inbreeding thing. At best I guess we'll take it and get it fixed and just feed it. :(

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2011 :  4:06:58 PM  Show Profile
In your situation I'd isolate it indoors and see if I could improve it with some babying and food.

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  2:18:49 PM  Show Profile
Mama's feeding them fine, I guess I mean we'll just have them as farm-barn "pets" and get them fixed. They wouldn't be able to catch anything wild, so we'd have to feed them. They can kinda bunny-hop, I just don't think they'll be able to catch a bird or mouse.

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Kitten whos back legs don't work Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page