Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 eggs dissapearing come hatch time?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic eggs dissapearing come hatch time? Next Topic  

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2011 :  6:37:28 PM  Show Profile
TWICE, the weekend I'm supposed to have a hatch, the whole nest of eggs goes missing. I KNOW it's not a predator, but I can't figure out whats happening to the eggs!!! Any ideas?

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2011 :  6:48:29 PM  Show Profile
Probably a snake. They're good for that around here.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

Do not ask the Lord to guide your footsteps, if you are not willing to move your feet--Dr. Kioni

http://madame1313.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2011 :  7:08:29 PM  Show Profile
Megan, the same thing happens here. Very strange. I had a turkey setting on some eggs in the field. One day I just picked her up to see how many eggs she had and there were 3. A few days later one looked like it started hatching but died. Then a few days later the other 2 eggs were gone. So sad because she really wanted some little babies. I tried to egt her to set on some more in a shady spot but it didn't work. So it probably was a snake.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2011 :  09:26:35 AM  Show Profile
snakes will only eat one, maybe two every week or more (they do not eat daily)...if you are looseing an entire clutch at a time, it is something much larger getting to them, maybe fox, weasel or?

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2011 :  2:29:56 PM  Show Profile
The coop is totally secure! Unless it can fit through chicken wire and eat 10 eggs at once!!!

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2011 :  4:50:17 PM  Show Profile
Megan, are you finding any remains at all of the eggs, if so, it could even be one of your chickens doing it, and if so , you need to cull that one out quick, before the others follow suit, and the whole flock becomes worthless egg eaters...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2011 :  04:35:46 AM  Show Profile
I had a hen that as babies would arrive she would snatch them up and ripe them apart and eat them. She was culled out and turned into chciaken bologna!

Come visit my blog
http://angieruralliving.blogspot.com/

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2011 :  2:30:22 PM  Show Profile
How did you know which one she was?!?!?! I've only found ONE piece of shell, which, for all I know, could've been from an egg that was stepped on!

Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2011 :  2:54:15 PM  Show Profile
megan, look for tell tale signs on your chickens, dried yolk and whites, pieces of shell stuck on them, you can also bait them by putting a judas egg somewhere that you can see, and wait and watch, hopefuly is isn't more than one...a trick my aunt used was blowing out an egg and putting food dye inside, re-sealing the holes and seeing which chicken has now become rainbow colored...

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic eggs dissapearing come hatch time? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page